Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 5: November 2009-June 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonk

Administrator
City
Somewhere in
Country
United States
UKDukeofYorkArms.jpg

Arms of HRH The Duke of York

Welcome to The Duke of York current events
part 6, commencing November 2009

Part 5, covering the period September 2008 to October 2009 , can be found here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...5-september-2008-to-october-2009-a-18405.html

Last edited:
What exactly does he mean by taking them with him? What does he intend for them to do?

What exactly does he mean by taking them with him? What does he intend for them to do?

Taking them for experience, or a holiday. Further increasing the damning image we already have of him.
I don't see why Beatrice and Eugenie should be taken on tours with their father, when they are not the two royal children that need to experience. Plus they are both in Universities and taking them out of their environment would be damaging to them. :)

:previous: I took it to mean that they would be doing a similar job to Andrew. If the story is true, it shows Andrew has very little idea. 48% of businesses he was supposed to represent, apparently did not think he was effective (Telegraph article posted earlier) and that after a number of years in the Navy, what good will two young women do, with an even greater lack of real life/business experience?:ermm:

Good point Skydragon but if those figures are accurate then about half of his clients are satisfied. Should we expect a 100% success rate from Prince Andrew during these tough economic times?
At first I was offended by Prince Andrew's high flying position but now I've come around.
IMO most royals target the neediest people in society through charity work which is very good but there is a gap that Prince Andrew is filling here and I think it was good of him to not over look it. By traveling the world as 'special representative' for British businesses he's using his elite position for the good of his country and working his butt off to encourage economic growth and where there is growth there is stability and more jobs to go around.:)
So I think he should be able to take his daughters with him for experience but they should try to cut costs where they can.
According to his website thedukeofyork.org, last year the prince attended 529 engagements in his capacity as Special Representative for International Trade and Investment. If his site is accurate it appears that many businesses are well pleased with his support and he is doing a good job. I would be inclined to let his daughter's go, they might learn something from it.

His two quotes:
1) "If that is the sort of thing they want to do I see no reason why not." Has he even asked them or is he just testing the waters?
2) "I could make use of them because they would take some of the burden off me." As undergraduates, what do they know about international business, politics, etc. I can't quite see them giving speeches, so how is their presence going to decrease his burden. :whistling:

His two quotes:
1) "If that is the sort of thing they want to do I see no reason why not." Has he even asked them or is he just testing the waters?
2) "I could make use of them because they would take some of the burden off me." As undergraduates, what do they know about international business, politics, etc. I can't quite see them giving speeches, so how is their presence going to decrease his burden. :whistling:

Use their charms perhaps? You know, they could show a bit of royal leg when meetings aren't going as well as expected :lol:
Seriously, from what I've read the prince has been doing this for ages (since 2001) and gets briefed. My guess is he's learned a lot on the job and he is supposedly respected for his knowledge. Who knows what his daughters would do though - listen and learn? He really needs to specify. It could be something as simple as manning his phones or entertaining. IMO at their age the main purpose would have to be getting experience. He's already taken Beatrice on his business trips to observe his work.

:previous:

Getting experience not looking bored when daddy's giving a speech. :p
Starting by attending some of his functions in the UK would be fine.

His two quotes:

I think all this is just hypothetical. The article in the Sun is just based off a couple of quotes from the interview Andrew did with The Telegraph recently (that was discussed in the last thread). Somehow the Sun has turned a couple of quotes into a whole story, including supposed quotes from Charles' aide and a description of Charles as being "infuriated"! (Over something that might hypothetically happen in the future, when he might or might not be king!) No one is saying that Beatrice and Eugenie are going to take over Andrew's job or that they even want to; some reporter just asked Andrew whether he thought it was something they might do in the future and he basically said he could use them if they wanted to do it. But the reporter raised the possibility, not Andrew.

Beatrice and Eugenie are still in school and I don't think that even if they did take over parts of Andrew's job, they would do it right after graduation.

A suggestion. First, do the girls play golf? If not they could start having lessons.

Good point Skydragon but if those figures are accurate then about half of his clients are satisfied. Should we expect a 100% success rate from Prince Andrew during these tough economic times?
It didn't say how many refused to take part and if he is good at his job, I would expect at least a 70% satisfaction rating or I would replace him. No company would keep a salesman who is only 50% effective!
IMO most royals target the neediest people in society through charity work which is very good but there is a gap that Prince Andrew is filling here and I think it was good of him to not over look it. By traveling the world as 'special representative' for British businesses he's using his elite position for the good of his country and working his butt off to encourage economic growth and where there is growth there is stability and more jobs to go around.:)
Here we most definitely disagree, he is not stimulating economic growth, (thank goodness otherwise the recession could be deeper than it is). He didn't 'overlook' anything, they needed a job for him, so they gave him one! I have serious doubts as to whether he is 'working his butt' off, the evidence to date suggests not.
So I think he should be able to take his daughters with him for experience but they should try to cut costs where they can.... ....
If his site is accurate it appears that many businesses are well pleased with his support and he is doing a good job. I would be inclined to let his daughter's go, they might learn something from it.
Would you expect the site to say 'he is bloody useless but it keeps him occupied, the real work is done by trained staff'? The girls need to earn a place on any UK team and that means a few years under their belts of living and working.

I don't think that this is a good idea at all. If he wants them to have experience, I suggest he park them with his mother. Or his sister. IMO, they both do things correctly and efficiently and would be a huge influence for good.

I don't think that this is a good idea at all. If he wants them to have experience, I suggest he park them with his mother. Or his sister. IMO, they both do things correctly and efficiently and would be a huge influence for good.

Princess Anne for definite. I think she should open a royal training school. :flowers:

Duke of York at El Alamein Remembrance Event

The Duke lays a wreath and gives a brief interview comparing El Alamein to the current terrain in Afghanistan. Also clips from interviews with veterans. We will remember them.

YouTube - Interview with The Duke of York

The Duke lays a wreath and gives a brief interview comparing El Alamein to the current terrain in Afghanistan. Also clips from interviews with veterans. We will remember them.

YouTube - Interview with The Duke of York

My great-uncle fought at El-Alamein and I am so pleased that the Duke of York honoured these men.

My great-uncle survived the battle and the war but he was lucky. He actually stood on a mine but was virtually uninjured as all he got was a bad concussion and lost every tooth but those around him were either killed or badly wounded. He always had terrible trouble coming to terms with that luck and it played on his mind for the rest of his life but he was always proud to have been a veteran of that great battle.

Men like your great-uncle must never be forgotten.:flowers:

My great-uncle survived the battle and the war but he was lucky. He actually stood on a mine but was virtually uninjured as all he got was a bad concussion and lost every tooth but those around him were either killed or badly wounded.

That article covered a wide area: the Navy, his marriage, his daughter, his sister-in-law, his ex-wife, and his role as Special Representative. What I found most interesting, though, was that he said that the government asked him to leave the Navy to take on his current position. Thank you for posting this, rmay286.

Prince Andrew was just in the UAE and gave a very in-depth interview there:

Magazine - The National Newspaper

You're welcome. :flowers: I thought it gave a more personal glimpse into Prince Andrew's life than other interviews I've seen--what he likes to read, for example, or what he does when he gets home (calm down his excited dogs, apparently! :lol:)

It was also interesting to read that his engagements have doubled since 2005, but I was getting that sense already. I don't remember reading as much about Andrew's role as Trade Ambassador back then, but now it seems like he's in a different foreign country almost every week.

I'd really like to see someone put out a serious biography of the Duke of York when he turns 50 (like my husband) next year.:flowers:

It was also interesting to read that his engagements have doubled since 2005, but I was getting that sense already. I don't remember reading as much about Andrew's role as Trade Ambassador back then, but now it seems like he's in a different foreign country almost every week.

That article covered a wide area: the Navy, his marriage, his daughter, his sister-in-law, his ex-wife, and his role as Special Representative. What I found most interesting, though, was that he said that the government asked him to leave the Navy to take on his current position.
It's amazing the way some of the facts have been altered to fit a self publicist article, IMO. There were questions raised when Andrew was given a job within the naval command, that he was neither qualified or had worked for, (I posted an article some time ago on how he was jumped to the position). He left the Navy after 22 years, because that was the amount of time he had signed up for.:whistling: He was lucky that the DoK was willing to gracefully retire when they couldn't find anything else for him.

I have read it through 3 times now and can find nothing 'in depth', just a few (probably prearranged) questions and it is worthwhile noting that it doesn't say anything about the businesses he has not helped, just a claim by the reporter of a couple of major deals he has allegedly struck, (all by himself)?

It may be amazingly simple to sell himself to his fans and non Brits but it will be a hard job to sell himself and the little he appears to be doing, to the UK.

I don't mean this, in any way, shape or form as an insult or dig at anyone, but can anyone explain why the Yorks find it easy to sell themselves to the US and Canada?

I'm not a fan of Sarah's. I think that the girls have yet to prove themselves, but I'm willing to give them that time. Canadians remember that Prince Andrew went to school here, which is part of our connection with him. He seems to like it here, because he comes back fairly often. Also, I've talked to someone who's seen Andrew in person and was impressed by something thoughtful that he did on one particular occasion. There was a senior's bowling display going on in a community nor far from where I live, and the seniors were due to make some shots. The mayor (who was known to not always act wisely), grabbed one of the balls and shot it down the green. Prince Andrew, as he was known at that time, retrieved the ball and put it back in the hands of the seniors who were supposed to be doing the display. This would have been on his 1985 tour of the Maritime Provinces. That story has always stuck with me, because it showed the Prince's realization that the display was "hi-jacked" by the mayor and and he had the presence of mind to correct it.

I don't mean this, in any way, shape or form as an insult or dig at anyone, but can anyone explain why the Yorks find it easy to sell themselves to the US and Canada?

Last edited:
:previous: IMHO as much as the Americans pride themselves at how democratic they are, they have a soft spot in their hearts for the British royals. In addition to this, everyone who speaks with a British accent no matter what he/she may or may not say, sounds like it comes from someone educated and knowledgeable.:whistling:
A lot of British stars made a fortune capitalising on this and it seems that the Yorks are doing great in that area as well. JMHO of course:flowers:

Not to get totally off topic but in the US, the York princesses are really not well known. Not in the context of William and Harry, who are known for being Diana and Charles (moreso Diana's) sons. Covers of Diana sold very well in the States.

We know that Sarah and Andrew had two daughters, but still I wouldn't think anyone could pick them out in the crowd. The same could be said for William and Harry but they have a little more face and name recognition.

From what I can see, those in the US who know of Andrew respect the fact that he is a veteran. Especially since for all intents and purposes, it appears that people of mean sometimes have a tendency not to serve. Not all mind you but a few names come to mind. Veterans are very revered here (as they should be). As they are revered in other countries as well.

Americans (for the most part) who like Sarah like the fact that she is a survivor. She has a plucky sense of humor (can laugh at herself) and is very comfortable with herself (faults and all). It should also be noted that on the whole her selling herself (and using her royal connections) are not really frowned on. Its not what you know but who you know. Sarah, Duchess of York is legally her name. She had a debt, she cleared it up (it appears both times). Why hate?

It should also be noted that at present both Andrew and Sarah don't get a lot of press in the States. So a lot of people here (other than us royal watchers) are not aware of the controvery that surrounds Andrew and his travels. Sarah is pretty low key here, other than than Hello Magazine and probably the NY Post, there wasn't much of a mention in the press of her recent financial issues. She is not a corporate sponsor of Weight Watchers anymore so we barely see her on television, in print, or on the telly.

Finally, this is all my personal opinion of couse so I am sure others will disagree.

ETA: I would also agree with Odette's comments regarding the British accent. We love a British accent. And honestly, we love the British monarchy as well. As long as it isn't ours :flowers: As previously mentioned in other threads, when other foreign royals visitthe US it doesn't get much press unless it happens in the city that they are visiting (Maxima and Wilem in NYC, Mary and Frederick in Chicago, and Felipe and Letizia in NM). I live in the Washington, DC area and if it wasn't for this forum or the internet, I would have never known that they were in the States.

Last edited:
I don't live in the U.S., but I think your personal opinion about the American take on royalty sounds about right. I don't think most people in the U.S. and Canada actually know or care much about the Yorks, besides maybe seeing Sarah in a few Weight Watchers' commercials in the past. I think the difference between me, as a Canadian reading Andrew's interview, and a British person reading the same article, is that my tax dollars don't fund the royal family. We don't get press about whether Andrew is wasting taxpayer money, whether he's qualified for his role, etc.--none of that matters here.

I don't think Canada and the U.S. can be completely lumped together in their attitudes towards the royal family, though, because in the U.S. I think the royals are "just" celebrities, whereas Canadians know the royals have a historical connection to the country. But the royals aren't accountable to us as taxpayers. I think people in North America just take the royals more at face value, as who they seem to be as people. And Sarah and Andrew can be very outgoing, I think more than a lot of the royals, which doesn't mean everyone will be a fan of both or either of them, but I think sociable people tend to win friends more easily.

I wouldn't say that Sarah and Andrew have a big fan club in Canada by any means, though. What Zonk said about people in the U.S. not knowing who Beatrice and Eugenie are probably applies to Canada as well. But Andrew did go to school here, and from what I've read, he and Sarah were also well-received when they toured Canada in 1987. (I wasn't old enough to remember it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom