Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 5: November 2009-June 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you, Zonk. Andrew was the first "warrior prince" that I knew of, and we all respect a person who's served his country in that way. At the time, he was two heart-beats away from the throne, too: his mother's and his elder brother's. So the Queen took quite a risk in allowing him to go into action.

From what I can see, those in the US who know of Andrew respect the fact that he is a veteran. Especially since for all intents and purposes, it appears that people of mean sometimes have a tendency not to serve. Not all mind you but a few names come to mind. Veterans are very revered here (as they should be). As they are revered in other countries as well.

Oh rmy286...you are making me feel old!

I distinctly remember when the Yorks went to Canada, I reread my copies of Majesty and Royalty several times (because the internet wasn't public yet!). And at the time, you received your royal news via magazines, television and the newspaper. Oh, the good old days!

Yes, Mermaid1962 -- it was a big thing for Her Majesty to let Andrew fight in the Falklands War at the time. Andrew for all intents and purposes has always wanted to serve his country. Its a shame he didn't say in the services, but I figured it cost him a lot (contributing to the demise of his marriage --- not the main factor mind you one of them). Plus he had the girls (although many people who serve are family men and women).

Just makes you think what life could hve been for Andrew if he stayed in the Navy, Fergie could have handled being a Royal and Navy wife.....things would have been a lot different.

... Prince Andrew, as he was known at that time, retrieved the ball and put it back in the hands of the seniors who were supposed to be doing the display. This would have been on his 1985 tour of the Maritime Provinces. That story has always stuck with me, because it showed the Prince's realization that the display was "hi-jacked" by the mayor and and he had the presence of mind to correct it.
That sums up some of our differences. :flowers: To me, he should never have humiliated the Mayor, in such a public manner. He was there for a short time, a visitor, he should have afforded the mayor the courtesy of staying out of it.
rmay286 said:
And Sarah and Andrew can be very outgoing, I think more than a lot of the royals, which doesn't mean everyone will be a fan of both or either of them, but I think sociable people tend to win friends more easily
Andrew, IMO, tends to demand formality when it suits him and his apparent belief that he has any 'genetic right' to do jobs he is not qualified for, is :sick:. He reminds me of the people who say 'we built this', when in fact they didn't, they simply paid someone else to do it and that is I believe what happens on his T&I jaunts. He is wined and dined whilst the minions do the real work.
zonk said:
it was a big thing for Her Majesty to let Andrew fight in the Falklands War at the time. Andrew for all intents and purposes has always wanted to serve his country. Its a shame he didn't say in the services, but I figured it cost him a lot (contributing to the demise of his marriage --- not the main factor mind you one of them). Plus he had the girls (although many people who serve are family men and women).
No greater sacrifice than all the parents/wives who without fanfare allow their husbands/sons/daughters/wives to serve their country and HM, every single day. I think it unfair to blame his job for the demise of his marriage, children or not, the fault lies firmly on the apparent lack of maturity and commitment from Sarah.

I do want to thank you for the answers so far, including the ones by pm.:flowers:

Oh rmy286...you are making me feel old!

I distinctly remember when the Yorks went to Canada, I reread my copies of Majesty and Royalty several times (because the internet wasn't public yet!). And at the time, you received your royal news via magazines, television and the newspaper. Oh, the good old days!

I wish I remembered the Yorks' tour to Canada, but no...I was definitely far too young. :lol: I do remember when you could only get your royal news from magazines, though. 10 or 12 years ago when I first was interested in royalty, I remember eagerly anticipating the next trip to the library to see if the new issue of Majesty was there yet! There's a generation of kids now who actually can't remember life before the internet, and that makes me feel old.

I have to say that I think a lot of the differences between how British people view the royals, and how North Americans view them, comes down to the fact that we don't see them every day. For example, in Canada, we hear about our government leaders and MPs all the time, and they get criticized regularly, but if one of them came to Britain, I bet most people wouldn't know about the criticism and it wouldn't mean much to them if they did.

There's a generation of kids now who actually can't remember life before the internet, and that makes me feel old.
I am ancient, I can remember the computers that took up huge rooms, more than that I can clearly remember the time before computers!:lol::whistling:
I have to say that I think a lot of the differences between how British people view the royals, and how North Americans view them, comes down to the fact that we don't see them every day. For example, in Canada, we hear about our government leaders and MPs all the time, and they get criticized regularly, but if one of them came to Britain, I bet most people wouldn't know about the criticism and it wouldn't mean much to them if they did.
There you have hit the nail firmly on the head, IMO. If not in the media, there is always someone who has had dealings with or heard gossip concerning one royal or another. :flowers:

I only remember that Fergie had put red and white ribbons in her hair. Isn't that funny? They go to Canada and the biggest news is her hair.

What I remember from that tour is how much less formal it was than Charles and Diana's--to put it mildly. The Yorks were very tactile, for one thing...Sarah was sitting on Andrew's lap and "snuggling" in a gift shop at one point. I think that the Canadian tour was the one where Sarah spoke at a banquet and pretended to "strangle" Andrew. She was dressed like Tinkerbelle: a big-skirted chiffon gown with a tiara.

I only remember that Fergie had put red and white ribbons in her hair. Isn't that funny? They go to Canada and the biggest news is her hair.

Andrew, IMO, tends to demand formality when it suits him and his apparent belief that he has any 'genetic right' to do jobs he is not qualified for, is :sick:. He reminds me of the people who say 'we built this', when in fact they didn't, they simply paid someone else to do it and that is I believe what happens on his T&I jaunts. He is wined and dined whilst the minions do the real work.

I think that this is a statement that is true of all of the Queen's children

I think it unfair to blame his job for the demise of his marriage, children or not, the fault lies firmly on the apparent lack of maturity and commitment from Sarah.
In most countries, there are two (usually, unless there is someone else agitating) in the marriage, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don´t think it was the army that caused the end of his marriage, at the time Sarah was complaining mainly about his golf playing.
I just think that Sarah made a huge mistake, or miscalculation or something. At the moment they are just like a married couple, she lives at his house, they go on family holidays but she has lost the prestige she had as HRH but not the comfort by the sound of it. I really think they were entirely suited to each other and it was a pity they didn´t stay married but I think the debts she ran up played a very large part in the separation.
HM at one time said she would not be responsible for any more, meaning I understgand that she bailed Sarah out a few times so when Sarah was caught out, for once HM put her foot down.

Whoops, I guess you meant the Navy in which Prince Andrew served, not the Army!

I agree it is nice to hear they are still close. Their enduring relationship will always have us speculating. Certainly has that fairytale feel about it, as the Duchess has alluded to in the past. :)

Alright now its time to move on from the demise of Sarah and Andrews marriage.

I think that this is a statement that is true of all of the Queen's children
I don't believe it is. Anne for instance is correct when she says she won an Olympic medal, that was by her own effort. She trained with the horse, rode the horse, did the work.

Charles has never claimed to have started anything on his own, he says he set in motion etc, but as we have seen he keeps a very close watch on anything he is involved in and always pays tribute to the men and women in his employ.

Andrew appears to believe he has done all the work when one or two contracts are agreed, (I wonder how many fall through). Is it a job that could bring rewards for the UK without the involvement and excessive cost of Andrew, I believe it could. What is your opinion on the matter?

If Anne ever claimed that she won an Olympic medal then she would be incorrect as she never won an Olympic medal. She competed at the 1976 Olympics and Britian won no Equestrian medals at those games.

She did win European medals but not an Olympic one.

Quite correct Iluv Bertie. Though I'd say Zara is a strong contender at the next olympics!

Andrew appears to believe he has done all the work when one or two contracts are agreed, (I wonder how many fall through). Is it a job that could bring rewards for the UK without the involvement and excessive cost of Andrew, I believe it could. What is your opinion on the matter?
Didn't Andrew commission a report of his efforts with his own money? If so, I think the rest of the UK ought to be privvy to the findings to see if his "job" is warrented all the perks he gets for doing it. That's only fair, IMO.

If Anne ever claimed that she won an Olympic medal then she would be incorrect as she never won an Olympic medal. She competed at the 1976 Olympics and Britain won no Equestrian medals at those games.

She did win European medals but not an Olympic one.
Oops, you are of course correct, :flowers: it was the European three day event at Burghley, (how could I forget, I was there), but she did qualify and compete in the 1976, Montreal Olympics, and for that she had to work with her horse, so unlike Andrew, she is right in saying she did the work. Zara, of course cannot be included, as she is not in the same position as the children of HM. Anne certainly managed in a very short time, to do what some couldn't even dare dream about.

Prince Andrew and Princess Beatrice attend British Fashion Awards reception, St James's Palace, London, Britain - 09 Dec 2009
IBL Gallery

Very nice pictures. I quite like Beatrice's outfit, and I like to see her on duty with her father like this.:flowers:

Holy Schnikies! :eek: That Natalia Vodianova PA is talking to is sure a stunner!

I must say that I agree, Russo. It appears that Prince Andrew has noticed as well as they are locking eyes in the second photo. :)

I must say that I agree, Russo. It appears that Prince Andrew has noticed as well as they are locking eyes in the second photo. :)
Well Angie Everhart's interview did say PA has an eye for the ladies. .. :whistling:

The Duke of York is in Russia on official business at present.:flowers:;)

Prince Andrew visiting the troops in Lashkar Gah, Afghanistan,
December 19, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I'm glad to see Prince Andrew visiting the troops. They need a boost of morale especially this time of year.

Something positive from PA. Well done. :flowers:

It is nice to see Prince Andrew visiting the British troops in Afghanistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom