Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 2: May 2006-March 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics 3.3.2007

Britain's Prince Andrew is greeted by al-Ahmadi city governor Sheikh Ibrahim al-Duaij al-Sabah upon his arrival to the airport in Kuwait City 03 March 2007. The Duke of York, who is a Royal Navy Officer, is on a three-day official visit to Kuwait. AFP PHOTO/YASSER AL-ZAYYAT

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Skydragon said:
no idea that Michael and Edward are the grandsons of a King! :ohmy: There is no civil list now, but Andrew is paid for his employment by the state (£355.992 per annum) and gets an allowance (£249,000 per annum) from the Queen. All of his household expenses are met from the money the taxpayers 'contribute' to the running of the royal households and presumably for his office staff. Andrew seems to ignore the furore that his extra perks cause, A lot of people still haven't forgotten his trip to Edinburgh, that just happened to be 'tied in' with a game of golf!all amounts are approximate.

Does the Queen who gives out allowances do so in support of roles played for the monarchy? Does she get a tax deduction on these allowances? Are her family considered not only her family, but also her employees?

HRH Kimetha said:
Does the Queen who gives out allowances do so in support of roles played for the monarchy? Does she get a tax deduction on these allowances? Are her family considered not only her family, but also her employees?
I think they are just allowances and not dependant on how much 'work' they do or appearances they make. They are not paid as employees, therefore they do not pay into the PAYE system on this allowance, but they do pay Income Tax at the higher rate on all their income. HM cannot claim a deduction as far as I know. :flowers: Andrew, who does recieve a salary from the government does have to pay into the PAYE system, I believe.
This might help.

Last edited:
Pics 6.3.2007

Britains Prince Andrew looks at an architectural module of "The Wave" resort and a residential development project in the Omani capital Muscat, 06 March 2007. The Duke Of York is on a regional visit.

Andrew 1
Andrew 2

Skydragon said:
I think they are just allowances and not dependant on how much 'work' they do or appearances they make. They are not paid as employees, therefore they do not pay into the PAYE system on this allowance, but they do pay Income Tax at the higher rate on all their income. HM cannot claim a deduction as far as I know. :flowers: Andrew, who does recieve a salary from the government does have to pay into the PAYE system, I believe.
This might help.

Thanks, Skydragon.:) I appreciate your response. I've always been puzzled by the financial upkeep of the lesser known (older) members of the monarchy.

Here is another not yet posted pic of Andrew last weekend, he visited UK troops serving in southern Iraq :

Andrew 4.3.2007

Skydragon said:
This might help.

But this only says that the queen repays the amount of money parliament has once accorded to these members of the RF. It doesn't say if she pays money in advance from her private purse (to the Michael of Kents maybe)...

Jo of Palatine said:
But this only says that the queen repays the amount of money parliament has once accorded to these members of the RF. It doesn't say if she pays money in advance from her private purse (to the Michael of Kents maybe)...
Perhaps at the end of the tax year, the government sends HM an invoice for the amounts paid to the extended family, with the usual... "This invoice must be settled within 30 days"! :ROFLMAO: (Which is ignored for at least 3 months)!

Skydragon said:
This might help.

Are the allowances, allowances in the term of allowances? Can she also stop the allowances if called on by the government?

Skydragon said:
Many of the papers have shown how he ties in his 'work' with an event he wants to go to. Many people have suggested that if there is something he wants to see, (a golf tournament), he will ask around for a 'job' to enable him to go 'officially', therefore getting his travel and accomodation paid for. On some occasions he hasn't even bothered with that deception, but has just used his title to get the RAF to fly him somewhere.
I don't see him as representing UK business anywhere, just using UK businesses and taxpayers to continue his own selfish interests.

He has been pictured on official business as the trade representative; one can question how valuable his trips are but not whether he is actually doing them.

As far as setting his schedule to coincide with golf tournaments, I'm sure he's given at least a year's schedule in advance. He can request these locations but I'm not so sure he can set his own schedule, some trade shows are scheduled years in advance and some participant need to book their attendence well ahead. Its all very meticulously planned out. Its not so easy to switch from a business conference to Qatar to a business conference in Hong Kong with little advance notice.

I'm still seeing no difference between what Andrew does and what top officials in my company do all the time and they don't get fired.

ysbel said:
I'm still seeing no difference between what Andrew does and what top officials in my company do all the time and they don't get fired.

I personally do not see any problem with anyone getting in a little sightseeing, golf or any other entertainment once their 'work' is done after being paid to go to functions outside of the office. However, I guess there will be someone piping up 'what about something that can be construed as immoral (such as prostitution visits).:)

ysbel said:
If you were employing a servant and he, while supposedly shopping for you, took the opportunity to get on bus and travel an extra 200 miles at your expense, to visit a sauna he happened to like, do you not think that you might have cause to complain? Tounaments, presentations and games of golf are arranged 18 months in advance.

The main difference between your top officials and the UK taxpayers employee (Andrew), is that shareholders can dismiss them, while we are unable to dismiss Andrew. The pretense of a job, to justify free travel, free accomodation, free food, is an insult!

I think Andrew is what we call 'the Bad Prince' vs. the 'Good Prince' media categorization, which continues on towards William & Harry. Albeit, Prince Charles is no longer the darling of the media, but still some are always highlighting usual negativity whether its well earned or not.

I've yet to see a legitimate case of abusing 'tax payers' money, atlease when compared to the useless elected officials in the parlaiment.

The main difference between your top officials and the UK taxpayers employee (Andrew), is that shareholders can dismiss them, while we are unable to dismiss Andrew. The pretense of a job, to justify free travel, free accomodation, free food, is an insult!

could you kindly highlight specific examples, with proven tract record of Andrew wasting money? It will be interesting to see where a parlaimentary hearing took place, similar case have been inflicted on Prince Charles!

Lamyah said:
could you kindly highlight specific examples, with proven tract record of Andrew wasting money? It will be interesting to see where a parlaimentary hearing took place, similar case have been inflicted on Prince Charles!
I have posted a few articles and investigations into Andrews 'misuse of taxpayers money' (posts in this thread 141 & 150), there are 4 or 5 more in Sarah threads I think and if I have time later will find them for you.
I'm sure you already know that there would not be a parliamentary hearing until after a select committee hearing and that has never been allowed to happen into HM's, Charles or any of the Royal accounts. However there have been investigations by a couple of MP's into Andrews misuse of travel perks. It is not a case of good prince vs bad prince, IMO, it is value for money prince vs waster prince, with Andrew being the latter.

With Charles' statement regarding banning Big Macs and the "discovery" of The Duchy's product line being just as bad, I'd say its a Bad and Bad race!

Suonymona said:
With Charles' statement regarding banning Big Macs and the "discovery" of The Duchy's product line being just as bad, I'd say its a Bad and Bad race!
But, at least he does not use jets or helicopters to get him to and from golf clubs! :ROFLMAO: Most of the Duchy foods are full of other goodies and too delicious for words! :lol:

Have anyone picture from the visit in Saudi Arabia?

Closed thread

Time to close this thread.
The new thread, dedicated to the Current News and Pictures of the Duke of York can be found here.

Thanks to everyone, who contributed. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom