Prince and Princess Michael of Kent Current Events 5: September 2009-July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:

The second part of the article does give the impression, however I'd prefer a confirmation from a more reliable source than Daily Express.

It does look like the Kents will be staying at Kensington Palace though, whatever the conditions will be - there is a quote from the Kents' spokesman at the very end of the article: "It is not the Prince and Princess’s intention to buy another property in or outside London. They plan to stay at Kensington Palace".

Although I love Prince and Princess Michael, I hope the rent they will pay is considerably higher than the previously paid £3,650; I'd hate to think of the headlines and the negative press the Royal Family will get otherwise. Why, the Daily Mail may burst with excitement at such an opportunity to post new "Pushy" stories.

Last edited:
I'd much prefer to see the Michaels stay at Kensington Palace; for one thing, they're as secure there as any of the other Royals. If there had to be financial outlay for protecting them on another site, there would be howls about that. It's true that they're not on the civil list, but neither are the great majority of the current crop of RH's. However, I agree that they should pay something much more like fair rental value than they have previously.
It does look like the Kents will be staying at Kensington Palace though, whatever the conditions will be - there is a quote from the Kents' spokesman at the very end of the article: "It is not the Prince and Princess’s intention to buy another property in or outside London. They plan to stay at Kensington Palace".

Although I love Prince and Princess Michael, I hope the rent they will pay is considerably higher than the previously paid £3,650; I'd hate to think of the headlines and the negative press the Royal Family will get otherwise. Why, the Daily Mail may burst with excitement at such an opportunity to post new "Pushy" stories.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not in my nature to feel particularly sorry for Princess Michael of Kent but if I were her I would have been mildly depressed by the “scoop” in one of last week’s London papers (not the Telegraph) that had been predicted in another (again not the Telegaph) two weeks earlier.

Read more: Fair play for a princess – Telegraph Blogs

Well, it was Her Majesty's wish to allow Prince and Princess Michael to pay a somewhat symbolic rent. I am sure that the couple is going to pay the rent in accordance with market prices.

Princess Michael attended "A night under the stars" held
at the Royal Festival Hall in aid of the Passage that helps
the homeless, London, November 27, 2009. No bigger pics
yet ;)

----> Pics

So if the Kents are staying at Kensington Palace does that mean they're not closing the Palace like they were going to do? Weren't they turning it over to the govt.?

Thanks for the pictures, Iceflower. :flowers: As I remember right "A night under the stars" was also attended by Stephen Fry. Pity that there aren't a few more pictures available...

Princess Michael of Kent joins conservation crusade in the Bahamas

The Princess flew to Nassau in the Bahamas on Friday to support a charity set up by her friend the late Sir Nicholas Nuttall, who moved to the island in the 1970s as a tax exile, to protect the reef and fish stocks in the area.

As patron of the Bahamas Reef Environment Educational Foundation (BREEF), she was guest of honour at a ball on Saturday night whose riotous theme was A Nostalgic Evening in Old Nassau, celebrating the "fabulous era of native clubs, food, entertainment and dancing".

Read more: Princess Michael of Kent joins conservation crusade in the Bahamas - Telegraph

Pics 2.12.2009

You're welcome, Dierna23 :flowers:

Actor Sylvester Stallone and Princess Michael of Kent attend
Art Basel Miami on December 2, 2009 in Miami Beach, Florida.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

So nothing like a bit of winter sun for Princess Michael just before Xmas!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
And she's just been to the Bahamas. Next stop New York to visit Lord Freddie

I have read a couple of news reports that Princess Michael was working the fair booth as a Consultant for Galerie Gmurzynska at Art Basel Miami. I love this entrepreneurial spirit she has.

Princess Michael of Kent, clad in a lavender suit, chatted with clients and visitors at the booth. Stallone held court in the back half of the stand, where his colorful expressionistic paintings hung on a wall [BloombergNews].

It reminded me an article I came across from the early 1980s which referred to her as something along the lines of "Britain's first employed princess". :lol:

Thanks for the update on Princess Michael's activities!:flowers:
It is nice to see Princess Michael participating in the trendy environmental causes. Of course, the Telegraph article has got a usual acerbic tone.

It's been documented from numerous reliable sources for years The Queen is not crazy about Marie-Christine. She certainly can be quite haughty and is known to be rather demanding, even when The Queen is accomodating.

She is, however, extremely fond of Prince Michael and is likely willing to help out to ensure they have a secure residence at Kensington Palace. The Queen is always generous when it comes to helping her family.

Do we have any primary sources that provide 'sound' evidence that MC has been 'rather demanding , even when the Queen is accommodating.'? I do not mean to be rude, but all I can gather is that the press have fueled such perceptions and yet I have never read a single proven fact that substantiates such assessments!

I agree, Connie. I think all these quotes about Marie-Christine's haughtiness are based on press stories. Even if Her Majesty likes her or not is speculation in my eyes.

Nice pictures btw, MC seems pretty tanned from her trip to the Bahamas and Florida. But what happened to her hair? :D

Hi,

Well, the press & media need a 'bad girl' and/or a 'naughty boy' in order to sell "stories"...
And, as I've said many times, once it's all in "print" or on TV, then it's "gospel".. Whether it's the truth or not doesn't matter and the public eats it up and it's all repeated and then poor Marie Christine - she's a villain, whether she wants to be or not.

I know someone who sat beside her at a state dinner, and she was the most intelligent and humourous and interesting person there. Everyone else was enchanted with her - and she was a "hit"...
Maybe it's all down to jealousy!!

Larry

Larry, though Marie-Christine is lovely, etc. she's brought her share of scandal on the BRF.

Would you like to elaborate Russo? The rather inappropriate comments about 'colonies' that she voiced in New york excepted!

Would you like to elaborate Russo? The rather inappropriate comments about 'colonies' that she voiced in New york excepted!
I'm talking about the numerous reported affairs she had, it's 11:03 pm and Russo is tired after having some rum and cokes so she's not equipped to go into detail about Marie-Christine, though! There has been a lot of past things that she has done, (calling Wallis "aunty wallis" and taking a pair of earrings from her and wearing them in front of HMTQ) though it seems that she has been keeping herself out of trouble of late I wonder about the Kensington bill, etc. Russo is going to bed now and she shall address this later. I do enjoy Prince/ss Michael of Kent though there is still some scandal attached to them.Does this make sense? Warren, your services might be in order here. . .

I'm talking about the numerous reported affairs she had, it's 11:03 pm and Russo is tired after having some rum and cokes so she's not equipped to go into detail about Marie-Christine, though! There has been a lot of past things that she has done, (calling Wallis "aunty wallis" and taking a pair of earrings from her and wearing them in front of HMTQ) though it seems that she has been keeping herself out of trouble of late I wonder about the Kensington bill, etc. Russo is going to bed now and she shall address this later. I do enjoy Prince/ss Michael of Kent though there is still some scandal attached to them.Does this make sense? Warren, your services might be in order here. . .

What is wrong with calling Wallis, Aunty Wallis? Wallis was Michael's aunty by marriage afterall (just as she was all the grandchildren of George V and Queen Mary).

Maybe by referring to the Duchess of Windsor as "Aunty Wallis" in front of QETQM, the Royal Family inferred that Princess Michael was using the name as a source of irritation. It is well known that the Duchess of Windsor and QETQM did not like each other. Family members often know which buttons to push to get the grievances going.

What is wrong with calling Wallis, Aunty Wallis? Wallis was Michael's aunty by marriage afterall (just as she was all the grandchildren of George V and Queen Mary).
Some people probably took offense at that along with other who don't like the QM being called "Cookie". :whistling:

Connie, I have found one article and will post it, and then find more. We had the office Christmas party last night and, as you know, Russo had a GRAND time! :cheers:

Princess Michael of Kent

Princess Pushy tells black diners to "go back to the colonies"
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Faces of the week

Another one of her talking tales out of school
Why 'Princess Pushy' fell for the Sheikh

and another.
Princess Michael defends breeding, Botox - and Harry | UK news | The Guardian

So my point being that HM has treated them quite well though, IMO, Marie-Christine talks too much. What she's says is being taken (possibly out of context) and slapped all over the place. It reminds me of Princess Margaret and her gaffes.

I agree about Princess Michael's ability to make gaffes and controversial remarks. However, Her Majesty's own family leaves much to be desired as well: highly publicised personal lives of both sons that led to wry smiles from other European houses.

:previous:Oh good Lord! Today in the Parade, we have a big article from Sarah, Duchess of York that epitomizes your statement. :bang: Really, the press is NOT the BRF's friend.

Russo....thanks for the links!
I knew the 'Colonies' story would be brought up! I thought the story 'was' taken out of context deliberately, as I was under the impression that the Princess was actually implying that general standards of decorum and 'manners' had slipped and that her comment was really meant as a lament of nostalgia about going back to the times of 'Colonies' rather than wishing her noisy dining neighbours would 'go back to the Colonies'. This was discussed at the time, but seems to have been quashed and deliberately and conveniently forgotten by the media in their bid to 'keep' MC down!

As to her other 'gaffes' I think Prince Philip has made far more offensive remarks over the years and as a 'paid up' senior member of the RF unlike MC, he has been let off rather lightly! I dare say that MC will always be pilloried at every opportunity!

Some people probably took offense at that along with other who don't like the QM being called "Cookie". :whistling:

Connie, I have found one article and will post it, and then find more. We had the office Christmas party last night and, as you know, Russo had a GRAND time! :cheers:

Princess Michael of Kent

The difference is that Cookie was a name deliberately used by the Duchess of Windsor to insult the Queen Mother whereas Wallis did become the aunt of all George V's grandchildren and so it is factually correct.

The Queen referred to the Duke of Windsor as Uncle David so I wonder what title she gave his wife - 'that woman' or Aunty Wallis. That was her relationship afterall.

The Queen Mother was rightfully touchy about the Duchess and may have preferred to not hear her name mentioned but to use the aunty title seems a bit over the top unless she had another preferred name e.g. Wallis alone with acknowledging the relationship - possible I admit and maybe that is what was used. I have never read anything much about how they referred to her after the marriage but the Duke of Kent was closest to David of all his brothers so it wouldn't surprise me if his children, even after his death, were raised to call her Aunty Wallis and thus Princess Micheal using that name was doing what was acceptable within the Kent family.

As to her other 'gaffes' I think Prince Philip has made far more offensive remarks over the years and as a 'paid up' senior member of the RF unlike MC, he has been let off rather lightly! I dare say that MC will always be pilloried at every opportunity!
I agree, and I believe Princess Margaret held her own in that department as well.
Iluvbertie, I just know that it rankled HM. I can't remember if I read it in Queen Elizabeth II: A Woman who is not amused, or not. I read that one and the bio. on Princess Michael of Kent over a decade ago and as Russo is getting long in the tooth, she can't remember as well.

Princess Pushy tells black diners to "go back to the colonies"
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Faces of the week

Another one of her talking tales out of school
Why 'Princess Pushy' fell for the Sheikh

and another.
Princess Michael defends breeding, Botox - and Harry | UK news | The Guardian

So my point being that HM has treated them quite well though, IMO, Marie-Christine talks too much. What she's says is being taken (possibly out of context) and slapped all over the place. It reminds me of Princess Margaret and her gaffes.

I totally agree Russo. Newcomers to the fold who may not be aware of protocol and the ever watching eyes of the tabloid press may slip up and make a gaffe or two. However ladies who were born into royalty and make sure everyone knows about it, should know better and be a bit more careful.
That colonies comment had New York buzzing for a few days.:ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom