Prince and Princess Michael of Kent Current Events 2: October 2005-March 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or as Edward VII called Kensington Palace, "the aunt heap". I love that nickname...

LOL - how wonderful! The "aunt heap". I like it!

BeatrixFan said:
I dont think there was a resident of Kensington Palace apart from Princess Margaret and Princess Alice who escaped the 'scrounger' tag when it all blew up about the rents etc.
Princess Margaret was fair game for the tabloids and was often accused of being a Royal layabout during the 1970s, just as the Queen was often accused of being "dowdy".

The only one who was sacrosanct was the Queen Mother. There were a few stories of her prodigious spending and alleged debts, but I don't think the public cared much. In fact, it probably just added to her allure.

I remember Dame Edna's wonderful low-down on Princess Margaret (Mustique Meg as she called her). She said that Princess Margaret always wore the Queen's dresses side on - she would cut a hole in the hip and put them over her head. Thats why, when you thought you'd seen Margaret's outfits before - you could be sure you had.

I think the reason the Queen doesn't like her is because she's German. I admire the Queen but I think she has some anti-German sentiment left over from WWII. The Queen's nickname for her is our Val = short for Valkyrie, pointing to her German heritage. It wasn't that long ago that George V changed the family name to Windsor to drop the German connotation.

She is flashier than the rest of the royals but because she is a minor royal I see her little escapades as harmless and causing some welcome diversion and entertainment without really damaging the core of the monarchy.

They all can't be prim and proper. :p

But she isn't German. She's Czech - I think the Queen is pot calling kettle if it comes to German heritage!

Incas said:
13 November 2005
£450K PAD FOR NO-RENT KENTS
What ever happened to children earning enough money to buy thier own homes? They'll never learn the value of a buck! Maybe they don't have to right now but Gabriella's children and grandchildren will have to - they should start now!

Princess Michael is going to be on ITV 1's 'This Morning' on Thursday. 10:30am - 12:30pm. I'll record it and try and do a transcript if I can.

That's bloody ridiculous. If they have that sort of money, then they need to pay their own rent instead of having The Queen do it. I hate people who sponge off The Queen like that.

They are a Prince and Princess of the Realm. They should be given something by the Sovereign. Anything they make off their own backs they should be applauded for not criticised for.

are you in the habit of applauding people who work?;)

BeatrixFan said:
They are a Prince and Princess of the Realm. They should be given something by the Sovereign. Anything they make off their own backs they should be applauded for not criticised for.

Only those who matter dear.

Ha ha...

If they do not peform duties or represent the Queen in official capacities, why should they be given a friend then?

And for a lady who claims they are not wealthy financially...I wonder where they got 450,000 pounds to buy their daughter a large flat?

Not being mean....just very curious...

Jil said:
Is Prince Michael of Kent ill? I saw a photo of him at the christening of Princess Maria Chiara (daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Calabria of Italy). He looked old and unwell.When did he go bald? Why was Princess Michael wearing a scarf over her head at the christening? Was it a new type of fashion statement or is she losing her hair? I was shoked to see how Prince Michael looks now!

Jil, I have noticed that Princess Michael's hair has become thinner when she wears it down, look at the front.

Lady Marmalade said:
Ha ha...

If they do not peform duties or represent the Queen in official capacities, why should they be given a friend then?

And for a lady who claims they are not wealthy financially...I wonder where they got 450,000 pounds to buy their daughter a large flat?

Not being mean....just very curious...

Maybe it's money they have saved for her in a trust fund since she was little? Maybe thay are putting down 10% deposit and she is paying the mortgage?! there are so many logical explanations to how and why, lets not jump to any conclusions.:cool:

I agree, auntie, they could have had a nest egg put aside many years ago for the children.

Truthfully, they are doing what normal (if that word applies) upper class people do for their children..purchase them a home. I would have loved for my parents to do that for me. For example, Princess Diana's father did the same for her.

The only problem that I see (not that buying their daughter a place is crime..but its also a sound investment) is that you don't cry broke and then purchase something like that. Thats the problem. And if they do represent the Queen on certain occasions, I think they should be reimbursed for that.

"Sponging off the Queen" and paying "rent" to live in the Royal Palaces is relativley new terminology. When the Queen was giving out homes to her relatives she saw it as her right to do so as Sovereign and neither Parliament nor the public at the time saw anything wrong with this. Now these people are being dammed as leeches by the Government and the public for living at the taxpayers expense in accomodation that the Queen herself believed to be their due. If people are now against the Royals living in Palaces then fair enough but to ignore the fact that Governments of the past and the Queen herself condoned, in fact in the Queen's case, encouraged this, I think is wrong and unfair on those being attacked.

Princess Michael of Kent signs paperback copies of her book 'The Serpent and the Moon' at a literary lunch on November 15, 2005 in Hatfield Heath, England. (Getty images)

Attachments

• 56184448.jpg
    56184448.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 56184451.jpg
    56184451.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 56184468.jpg
    56184468.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 56184471.jpg
    56184471.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 56184472.jpg
    56184472.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 164
  • 56184478.jpg
    56184478.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 56184530.jpg
    56184530.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 56184532.jpg
    56184532.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 56184533.jpg
    56184533.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 127
Princess Michael of Kent arrives at A Night Under The Stars, a gala evening in aid of The Passage homeless charity, at Westminster Central Hall on November 16, 2005 in London, England

from getty

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 170
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 163
I think she looks better with her hair pulled back. The long loose look in #113 ages her.

BeatrixFan said:
Only those who matter dear.

To quote Her Majesty, who made this response to a Fleet Street editor: "That is quite a pompous remark."

mandyy said:
Princess Michael of Kent signs paperback copies of her book 'The Serpent and the Moon' at a literary lunch on November 15, 2005 in Hatfield Heath, England. (Getty images)

wow! that forehead is so tight, it's scary! she needs to cut down on botox.

To quote Her Majesty, who made this response to a Fleet Street editor: "That is quite a pompous remark."

Thankyou. I am a pompous, evil, insensitive moron and I should be shot.

Princess Michael gave a brilliant interview on 'This Morning' today - she defended her comments about Diana and she spoke about her book with great wit and charm. Her voice is amazingly sexy and she really does ooze breeding and grace.

BeatrixFan said:
Thankyou. I am a pompous, evil, insensitive moron and I should be shot.

Princess Michael gave a brilliant interview on 'This Morning' today - she defended her comments about Diana and she spoke about her book with great wit and charm. Her voice is amazingly sexy and she really does ooze breeding and grace.

No....just good with the one-liners... ;)

What kind of accent does she have? Is it British or German?

Well, it's a very posh British accent with a tint of german to it on certain words. The way she said Budapest was quite divine.

Lady Marmalade said:
No....just good with the one-liners... ;)

What kind of accent does she have? Is it British or German?

I've seen her give interviews before and I think her accent is totally British. I dont detect any German in it.

apart from having lived in in England many years no w, she went to college in London and no doubt had already visited often in her youth, so she lost any german traces in her english.

I've seen her give interviews before and I think her accent is totally British. I dont detect any German in it.

Really? Thats interesting. Maybe because I was listening for it. But I've heard her speak on other programmes and I still think there's a light foreign accent at the end of words in particularly.

BeatrixFan said:
Really? Thats interesting. Maybe because I was listening for it. But I've heard her speak on other programmes and I still think there's a light foreign accent at the end of words in particularly.
Marie Christine went to school here in Sydney, Perhaps there's a touch of "Australian"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom