Lady Gabriella Windsor News 2: May 2007 - May 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty happy with the extended family using St. George's Chapel at Windsor. It's a beautiful and highly historic place that should be available for all family members, imo. Lady Gabriella is a Windsor, after all. And obviously, the Queen doesn't mind, or she would have suggested some other place.

This is a wedding that I really look forward to, and I hope that they will allow more pictures than her brother did. Iirc, the photos from Freddy's wedding were pretty scarce.

I wish they would have picked somewhere else, it’s interesting that we’ve had Henry (6th), Eugenie (9th) and now Gabriella (51st) all at the same venue. Maybe it’s just me that thinks some venues should be for those higher up, and smaller palaces should be for those further down the succession. I’m sure this is going to go to a magazine as well.

Lady Helen Windsor married at St George's, why not her first cousin Gabriella?

I just heard that Lady Gabriella Windsor's wedding will be at Windsor, and I am thrilled.

Very appropriate!?

I am interested to see how the flowers will be positioned in the Chapel. I wonder if Gabriella will use a few pastel colors.

Yep...Wedding at St George's and reception at Frogmore!

LaRae

I wish they would have picked somewhere else, it’s interesting that we’ve had Henry (6th), Eugenie (9th) and now Gabriella (51st) all at the same venue. Maybe it’s just me that thinks some venues should be for those higher up, and smaller palaces should be for those further down the succession. I’m sure this is going to go to a magazine as well.

Well yes, the higher-ups use Westminster Abbey (or in the case of Charles, Saint Paul's Cathedral).
Those not in the direct line use Saint George's Chapel.

At least that is the way it seems to me.

Let’s not forget that Edward and Sophie were mArried at St George’s in Windsor.

When Lady Helen had her wedding at St. George's it was the first royal wedding there in decades. For some reason, apart from Helen, it didn't seem to occur to royal relatives of her generation to have their weddings there. Even the very regal Princess Margaret let a St. George's wedding slide for her children. Lovely as Helen's wedding was it took Edward and Sophie to remind the senior royals how beautiful and historically important this chapel is and it has been great to see it's revival in this way. Windsor is, of course, the spiritual home of the dynasty and the place they are named after but, more than that, when Lady Gabriella walks down the aisle her great grandparents (King George V and Queen Mary) will be lying not far from her as will the font where her father was Christened as a seven week old baby and where her grandfather's/grandmother's funeral was held etc. In a nutshell St. George's has so much profound significance to the royal family that I don't think they make decisions about who can use it in terms of where they are in the line of succession, it's all to do with family IMO.

Last edited:
Let’s not forget that Edward and Sophie were mArried at St George’s in Windsor.

Right, that's what I meant.
The top tier uses the Abbey and the rest use St. George's (or some other venue if they prefer).

When Edward married he was what? Seventh or thereabouts?

Didn't Lady Helen Windsor get married there?

Besides .. like Lady Helen, Gabriella is an asset to the family. She may be 51st in line to the throne, but she has been a guest at least one state dinner.

:previous: Yes lady Helen dud as did Peter abd autumn who were left out. And Edward and Sophie.

Windsor is special to many of the royals. As Gabriella has said, she has fond memories of spending Christmas there as a kid before moved to Sandringham. It's not just senior royals who have a connection there.

I quite clearly said in my comment why.
So does that mean you also don't approve of Lady Helen having married at St George's? What about Peter Phillips? Just trying to understand your POV.

I think anyone who is a member of the Royal Family should be able to marry at St George's--Gabriella is the great-granddaughter of the King-close enough for me.

And as Mirabel pointed out, the highest tier of Royals have a state or semi-state wedding at Westminster Abbey (or St Paul's).

Last edited:
Maybe its just me but I actually think that St. George's Chapel at Windsor has a more "royal" and "historic" feel to it for weddings than anywhere else. If I had to choose between the chapel and Westminster Abbey, I think I'd choose the chapel for myself. But that's just me.

Another factor is the size of a venue and how many people are expected to be invited. If I'm not mistaken, that's why Charles had his at St. Paul's because it held the most people and it was a state wedding. The Cambridges having a semi-state wedding was smaller and WA did the job. Its not how close the people are in the line of succession but rather the amount of people they need to invite.

St. George's Chapel and Frogmore House are perfect settings for Windsor family weddings. As someone mentioned upthread, its the Queen's favorite home and she most likely will be in residence at the time of the wedding and will be able to attend.

Maybe its just me but I actually think that St. George's Chapel at Windsor has a more "royal" and "historic" feel to it for weddings than anywhere else. If I had to choose between the chapel and Westminster Abbey, I think I'd choose the chapel for myself. But that's just me.

Not me!

I'd want Westminster Abbey, and all the bells and whistles! :lol:

Prince & Princess Michael are paying for this wedding so I'm expecting to see the grandest style on the smallest budget.

If the wedding is scheduled for early June I suppose it will be 1 June or 8 June (still Spring and 15 would already be half June).

Late spring expected= from the end of May till half of June
Rumours are indeed between June 1st and June 15th (first half of June).
Summer starts on June 21st

I hope its an early summer wedding!

And I think the sooner the better; Lady Gabriella will have turned 38 already (even older than Duchess of Sussex when she got married).

Last edited:
And I think the sooner the better; Lady Gabriella will have turned 38 already (even older than MaDuchess of Sussex when she got married).

I agree, I'd be going for April or May if I was her. I was thinking too that I don't think it would be the 8th of June as isn't Trooping always on the second Saturday of that month? It's strange that they don't know the exact date already.

Are they, had anything been said about that?

No, I'm assuming they are as they are the bride's parents & it was reported that their daughter-in-law's parents paid for the other wedding so if they stick to the same protocol, they'll be footing the bill. It wouldn't surprise me if they find other ways to fund it though as they are not known to be in the mega-rich brigade.

I'm pretty happy with the extended family using St. George's Chapel at Windsor. It's a beautiful and highly historic place that should be available for all family members, imo. Lady Gabriella is a Windsor, after all. And obviously, the Queen doesn't mind, or she would have suggested some other place.

Does soemeone know how other grand families who have a family seat handle this? In former times if someone was a scion of a grand family, most of the time their wedding took place at either St. George, Hanover Sq. and then the family's townhouse or the main family seat.
So being a "Windsor of the UK" (there are other people called Windsor as well in the UK), the family chapel should be an obvious choice for a second cousin of the current queen and a great-granddaughter of a king.

No, I'm assuming they are as they are the bride's parents & it was reported that their daughter-in-law's parents paid for the other wedding so if they stick to the same protocol, they'll be footing the bill. It wouldn't surprise me if they find other ways to fund it though as they are not known to be in the mega-rich brigade.
During the time they lived for a peppercorn rent in London, they could have saved up enough for their only daughter's wedding. And even if you use St. George's chapel, you don't need to fill it up completely. Having the reception at Frogmore House does not mean you need to open up all rooms!

After all the practise it will be easier to organise a third wedding at Windsor.
Gabriella is the last of her group, who grew up living at Kensington Palace, to marry.
Her neices will have a role and possibly other young cousins. Is the date set?

I've never believed that the Kents (any branch of them) were ever short of cash, not in the slightest. For you and I the suggestion of being labelled hard up wouldn't be welcome but I've always thought that it suits the royals to play down their wealth. Prince Michael maintained an apartment at KP complete with what's been described as a priceless Fabergie collection as well as a manor house with formal gardens; swimming pool; tennis court; garage complete with Rolls-Royce; Bentley; Aston Martin and the most expensive schools in the land for his children for decades. The Princess has always had a designer wardrobe and a jewellry collection, which includes pieces by the Duchess of Windsor, for 40 years and said jewels were insured in 1985 for over 2 million pounds. Their children then attended some of the most prestigious universities on Earth and, as well as Princess Michael's clothes, Gabriella has been photographed in an endless procession of Catherine Walker (in the main) outfits and Philip Tracey hats, which all cost a fortune, since the age of 18. One presumes that her father was paying for these before she became independent but even since then she must be earning a hell of a lot of cash or, more probably, has a large trust fund as her wardrobe has always been superb and these can't be loans as most have been repeated. Like a lot of royals I'm sure the Kents don't mind taking freebies where they can get them but freebies don't fund the consistent lifestyle this family have had over the years. They are obviously rich and G's wedding will reflect that I am sure.

Last edited:
Are they, had anything been said about that?

A royal source confirmed the occasion would be "for family and friends, and very different" from the public marriages of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank. HELLO! understands the wedding, which will be paid for by the bride’s parents, will take place at the historic chapel in the late spring, followed by an afternoon reception at Frogmore House.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...-gabriella-windsor-wedding-details-confirmed/

Interesting that Lady Gabriella has decided to have her wedding at St. George's - it certainly has seen a lot of royal celebrations recently! I had expected her to have her wedding somewhere else like Hampton Court (as Lord and Lady Frederick Windsor did) though it's nice to hear that she's getting married at the chapel in Windsor.

Interesting that Lady Gabriella has decided to have her wedding at St. George's - it certainly has seen a lot of royal celebrations recently! I had expected her to have her wedding somewhere else like Hampton Court (as Lord and Lady Frederick Windsor did) though it's nice to hear that she's getting married at the chapel in Windsor.

You do get the impression that St. George's has a great ancestral pull for members of the royal family and that the Queen appreciates that and wouldn't pull rank in terms of who can use it. I think she very much sees it as THE family chapel and respects that it means a lot to all of the Windsors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom