The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Let’s not forget that Edward and Sophie were mArried at St George’s in Windsor.
Right, that's what I meant.
The top tier uses the Abbey and the rest use St. George's (or some other venue if they prefer).

When Edward married he was what? Seventh or thereabouts?

Old 12-21-2018, 06:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I wish they would have picked somewhere else, it’s interesting that we’ve had Henry (6th), Eugenie (9th) and now Gabriella (51st) all at the same venue. Maybe it’s just me that thinks some venues should be for those higher up, and smaller palaces should be for those further down the succession. I’m sure this is going to go to a magazine as well.
Didn't Lady Helen Windsor get married there?

Besides .. like Lady Helen, Gabriella is an asset to the family. She may be 51st in line to the throne, but she has been a guest at least one state dinner.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes lady Helen dud as did Peter abd autumn who were left out. And Edward and Sophie.

Windsor is special to many of the royals. As Gabriella has said, she has fond memories of spending Christmas there as a kid before moved to Sandringham. It's not just senior royals who have a connection there.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I quite clearly said in my comment why.
So does that mean you also don't approve of Lady Helen having married at St George's? What about Peter Phillips? Just trying to understand your POV.

I think anyone who is a member of the Royal Family should be able to marry at St George's--Gabriella is the great-granddaughter of the King-close enough for me.

And as Mirabel pointed out, the highest tier of Royals have a state or semi-state wedding at Westminster Abbey (or St Paul's).
Old 12-22-2018, 02:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Maybe its just me but I actually think that St. George's Chapel at Windsor has a more "royal" and "historic" feel to it for weddings than anywhere else. If I had to choose between the chapel and Westminster Abbey, I think I'd choose the chapel for myself. But that's just me.

Another factor is the size of a venue and how many people are expected to be invited. If I'm not mistaken, that's why Charles had his at St. Paul's because it held the most people and it was a state wedding. The Cambridges having a semi-state wedding was smaller and WA did the job. Its not how close the people are in the line of succession but rather the amount of people they need to invite.

St. George's Chapel and Frogmore House are perfect settings for Windsor family weddings. As someone mentioned upthread, its the Queen's favorite home and she most likely will be in residence at the time of the wedding and will be able to attend.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Maybe its just me but I actually think that St. George's Chapel at Windsor has a more "royal" and "historic" feel to it for weddings than anywhere else. If I had to choose between the chapel and Westminster Abbey, I think I'd choose the chapel for myself. But that's just me.
Not me!

I'd want Westminster Abbey, and all the bells and whistles!
Old 12-22-2018, 07:52 AM
Serene Highness

Prince & Princess Michael are paying for this wedding so I'm expecting to see the grandest style on the smallest budget.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:18 AM
Majesty

If the wedding is scheduled for early June I suppose it will be 1 June or 8 June (still Spring and 15 would already be half June).
Old 12-22-2018, 08:47 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Prince & Princess Michael are paying for this wedding so I'm expecting to see the grandest style on the smallest budget.

Are they, had anything been said about that?
Old 12-22-2018, 08:51 AM
Serene Highness

Late spring expected= from the end of May till half of June
Rumours are indeed between June 1st and June 15th (first half of June).
Summer starts on June 21st
Old 12-22-2018, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I hope its an early summer wedding!
Old 12-22-2018, 09:05 AM
Majesty

And I think the sooner the better; Lady Gabriella will have turned 38 already (even older than Duchess of Sussex when she got married).
Old 12-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
And I think the sooner the better; Lady Gabriella will have turned 38 already (even older than MaDuchess of Sussex when she got married).
I agree, I'd be going for April or May if I was her. I was thinking too that I don't think it would be the 8th of June as isn't Trooping always on the second Saturday of that month? It's strange that they don't know the exact date already.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
No, I'm assuming they are as they are the bride's parents & it was reported that their daughter-in-law's parents paid for the other wedding so if they stick to the same protocol, they'll be footing the bill. It wouldn't surprise me if they find other ways to fund it though as they are not known to be in the mega-rich brigade.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I'm pretty happy with the extended family using St. George's Chapel at Windsor. It's a beautiful and highly historic place that should be available for all family members, imo. Lady Gabriella is a Windsor, after all. And obviously, the Queen doesn't mind, or she would have suggested some other place.

Does soemeone know how other grand families who have a family seat handle this? In former times if someone was a scion of a grand family, most of the time their wedding took place at either St. George, Hanover Sq. and then the family's townhouse or the main family seat.
So being a "Windsor of the UK" (there are other people called Windsor as well in the UK), the family chapel should be an obvious choice for a second cousin of the current queen and a great-granddaughter of a king.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
No, I'm assuming they are as they are the bride's parents & it was reported that their daughter-in-law's parents paid for the other wedding so if they stick to the same protocol, they'll be footing the bill. It wouldn't surprise me if they find other ways to fund it though as they are not known to be in the mega-rich brigade.
During the time they lived for a peppercorn rent in London, they could have saved up enough for their only daughter's wedding. And even if you use St. George's chapel, you don't need to fill it up completely. Having the reception at Frogmore House does not mean you need to open up all rooms!
Old 12-22-2018, 10:12 AM
Courtier

After all the practise it will be easier to organise a third wedding at Windsor.
Gabriella is the last of her group, who grew up living at Kensington Palace, to marry.
Her neices will have a role and possibly other young cousins. Is the date set?
Old 12-22-2018, 12:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I've never believed that the Kents (any branch of them) were ever short of cash, not in the slightest. For you and I the suggestion of being labelled hard up wouldn't be welcome but I've always thought that it suits the royals to play down their wealth. Prince Michael maintained an apartment at KP complete with what's been described as a priceless Fabergie collection as well as a manor house with formal gardens; swimming pool; tennis court; garage complete with Rolls-Royce; Bentley; Aston Martin and the most expensive schools in the land for his children for decades. The Princess has always had a designer wardrobe and a jewellry collection, which includes pieces by the Duchess of Windsor, for 40 years and said jewels were insured in 1985 for over 2 million pounds. Their children then attended some of the most prestigious universities on Earth and, as well as Princess Michael's clothes, Gabriella has been photographed in an endless procession of Catherine Walker (in the main) outfits and Philip Tracey hats, which all cost a fortune, since the age of 18. One presumes that her father was paying for these before she became independent but even since then she must be earning a hell of a lot of cash or, more probably, has a large trust fund as her wardrobe has always been superb and these can't be loans as most have been repeated. Like a lot of royals I'm sure the Kents don't mind taking freebies where they can get them but freebies don't fund the consistent lifestyle this family have had over the years. They are obviously rich and G's wedding will reflect that I am sure.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
A royal source confirmed the occasion would be "for family and friends, and very different" from the public marriages of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank. HELLO! understands the wedding, which will be paid for by the bride’s parents, will take place at the historic chapel in the late spring, followed by an afternoon reception at Frogmore House.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...ils-confirmed/
Old 12-22-2018, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Interesting that Lady Gabriella has decided to have her wedding at St. George's - it certainly has seen a lot of royal celebrations recently! I had expected her to have her wedding somewhere else like Hampton Court (as Lord and Lady Frederick Windsor did) though it's nice to hear that she's getting married at the chapel in Windsor.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Closed Thread

Tags
lady gabriella windsor