The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Just because they are related doesn't mean they are close...many of us may have family situations like that. I haven't cousins I haven't seen since I was a kid....other family members just not close to. I would not expect invitations to their weddings etc.

Much was made about certain family members not being invited to Harry's wedding. I don't see it as a big deal. It's never been demonstrated they are close to all the other family.

LaRae

Old 10-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I really hope that at least a few of the senior royals attend and don't snub Gabriella's wedding, like they did her brother's.

(I heard it was because they don't much like Princess Michael, and wanted to distance themselves from Freddy because of the press about his drug use.)

But Gabriella hasn't been involved in scandal (other then that very old article from her sleazy ex-boyfriend) and Tom Kingston is known to be discrete and very private.
I'm not sure how we are so certain the senior royals "snubbed" Freddie. Do we know if they were even invited? Are they even close to Freddie other than Eugenie? And I highly doubt they'd allow negative feelings towards Princess Michael, if any, to be handled like this. She is still invited to BP for Christmas lunch and Trooping every year. I doubt they have anything other than a cordial distant relative relationship.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I'm not sure how we are so certain the senior royals "snubbed" Freddie. Do we know if they were even invited? Are they even close to Freddie other than Eugenie? And I highly doubt they'd allow negative feelings towards Princess Michael, if any, to be handled like this. She is still invited to BP for Christmas lunch and Trooping every year. I doubt they have anything other than a cordial distant relative relationship.

https://www.express.co.uk/expressyou...-royal-wedding
Old 10-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
We do not know what led to virtually no attendance from the "core" BRF at Freddie 's wedding. It could be any or a combination of scheduling, "disapproval " in some form, lack of a close relationship, dislike of the groom's mother....
Freddie and Sophie also got married in mid-September - right in the middle of the Balmoral holidays and when the rest of the "working" family is also still off-duty. Add in the lower-key nature of the wedding and the possibility that the bride and groom didn't want the whole royal circus (i.e. the press pack) coming along and you get a few more possible reasons. We won't know. Ever.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Just because they are related doesn't mean they are close...many of us may have family situations like that. I haven't cousins I haven't seen since I was a kid....other family members just not close to. I would not expect invitations to their weddings etc.

Much was made about certain family members not being invited to Harry's wedding. I don't see it as a big deal. It's never been demonstrated they are close to all the other family.

LaRae
Most of us don't live on the same grounds as our second/third cousins either; somethin that at least part of the family does/did at Kensington Palace, including the prince Michael of Kent family and the Waleses.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I really hope that at least a few of the senior royals attend and don't snub Gabriella's wedding, like they did her brother's.
(I heard it was because they don't much like Princess Michael, and wanted to distance themselves from Freddy because of the press about his drug use.)
But Gabriella hasn't been involved in scandal (other then that very old article from her sleazy ex-boyfriend) and Tom Kingston is known to be discrete and very private.
Non-attendance by what is defined as senior royals is a natural development. One might assume that Mr Kingston cares about who will attend the wedding more than Lady Gabriella does.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Non-attendance by what is defined as senior royals is a natural development. One might assume that Mr Kingston cares about who will attend the wedding more than Lady Gabriella does.

How is it a natural development? Senior royals other than the Queen often attend weddings.

And why would Tom Kingston care more? Do you know something about him that I haven't heard?
Old 10-02-2018, 12:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
How is it a natural development? Senior royals other than the Queen often attend weddings.

And why would Tom Kingston care more? Do you know something about him that I haven't heard?
Today senior royals consist of Prince Charles and his sons. Prince Charles and his sons do not have decent family relationships with Kents. Princess Anne and Prince Edward and Prince Andrew are not known for maintaining decent family relations with the Kents. It is also possible that my assumptions can be wrong.

I do not possess any specific knowledge about Mr Kingston. It is just my assumption.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:29 PM
Courtier

I don't know why some senior members of the family weren't at Freddie's wedding but Sophie has said how many of them rallied around them when she had her awful accident, including phoning the hospital regularly asking for updates and sending the cook around (!) So they aren't the kind of 2nd cousins you are only vaguely aware of or ignore. Gabriella is said to be popular within the family as well.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Today senior royals consist of Prince Charles and his sons. Prince Charles and his sons do not have decent family relationships with Kents. Princess Anne and Prince Edward and Prince Andrew are not known for maintaining decent family relations with the Kents. It is also possible that my assumptions can be wrong.

I do not possess any specific knowledge about Mr Kingston. It is just my assumption.
What do you call decent family relationships? And what evidence is there that the queen's children don't have such a relationship with the Kents family (there are quite a lot of Kents anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I don't know why some senior members of the family weren't at Freddie's wedding but Sophie has said how many of them rallied around them when she had her awful accident, including phoning the hospital regularly asking for updates and sending the cook around (!) So they aren't the kind of 2nd cousins you are only vaguely aware of or ignore. Gabriella is said to be popular within the family as well.
They might not have been there because Fred and his wife didn't want a big splashy wedding or because they had other engagements. but it is true that Sophie has indeed said that Charles and I think William ddi make an effort to be kind and helpful when she had her accident.. so I don't think that there is no relationship....
Old 10-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yeah, she said William called the hospital and said 'my cousin' is there in reference to Sophie and Charles was very direct in helping as well so there is a certain closeness between the various branches of the family. This was why I found it weird that there was no invite to Harry's wedding for these relatives but I think they will be at Eugenie's.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
What do you call decent family relationships? And what evidence is there that the queen's children don't have such a relationship with the Kents family (there are quite a lot of Kents anyway).
It is highly likely (the favourite compelling evidence presented by PM May) that the Windsors and the Kents do not have decent family relationships. That is all.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
It is highly likely (the favourite compelling evidence presented by PM May) that the Windsors and the Kents do not have decent family relationships. That is all.
I'm just thinking about my relationships with all of my family - immediate, cousins, second cousins, cousins removed - and I still can't work out what 'decent family relationships' are!!!
Old 10-02-2018, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I was wondering if you believed Kingston wants a...how shall I put this?
A wife who moves in the right social circles?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I was wondering if you believed Kinston wants a...how shall I put this?
A wife who moves in the right social circles?
Yes, that is exactly what I think. Hopefully Mr Kingston will prove me wrong.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
can you please quote what the Prime minister has said to give the impression that the queen's children don't have "decent family relationsihips" wit the Kents. For one thing the Kents are Windsors too and for another there are numbers of them.. Do you mean the Duke and DUchess? Or P and Princess Michael? Or say the Earl of St Andrews and his family?
Old 10-04-2018, 09:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, Harry didn't invite any Kents to his wedding (which I thought very odd), so that suggests they are not close.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Well, Harry didn't invite any Kents to his wedding (which I thought very odd), so that suggests they are not close.
But as I recall the cliam was that Charles and his silblings are the ones who didn't " have a proper family relationship" with the Kents. Harry was married in a relatively small church.. or he may not be that close to the Kent cousins who are nearest to him in age...
Old 10-11-2018, 02:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Harry was married in a relatively small church.. or he may not be that close to the Kent cousins who are nearest to him in age...
Probably the latter as he and Meghan didn't fill St. George's to capacity. They had extra room, but they just invited who they wanted to invite. No shame in that, their wedding, their choice.

Anyway, here's Tom and Gabriella at Annabel's Jungle Party. I think someone posted getty pics earlier, but with Tatler they give you more background info on the party. Going by their outfits I'd say they have fun together as a couple. Scroll to the bottom for their picture. https://www.tatler.com/gallery/annabels-jungle-party
Old 10-16-2018, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

They are a great looking couple! Thanks for the link to their pics.

Closed Thread

Tags
lady gabriella windsor