Kate Middleton Current Events 18: February-March 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe William went with some color in his jacket - green! He seems so conservative.

As for Kate, I liked her jacket but her skirt flared too much and upset the line. If the skirt had been tailored more, not flaired, I think it would have been a nice ensemble.

Still can't believe Wills' green jacket!

I don't understand these comparisons of Kate being like Camilla :wacko:

Smilla said:
Kate Middleton strikes me as totally Un-Diana-like (at least if I comare her to Diana at her own age). She seems to be much more like Camilla - tough, knows what she wants, does things her own way,...
(Don't get me wrong, I really like her.)
What do you think?

I think you may have a point - Kate has never struck me as an eager to please sort of lass.

I think that tendency is either in your psychological makeup from birth or its not.

This not eager to please tendency of hers can be an advantage when so many different factions are pulling her this way and that. It may help keep her centered and focused on what's really important to her rather than what everyone around her is saying should be important to her.

Madame Royale said:
I don't understand these comparisons of Kate being like Camilla :wacko:

Well its impossible to compare two women a generation apart, Madame Royale, but I think what she means is that Kate and Camilla both exude confidence in themselves and their self-esteem doesn't seem dependent on what other people think of them.

Well its impossible to compare two women a generation apart, Madame Royale

Yes. I'm inclined to agree wholeheartedly, ysbel.

but I think what she means is that Kate and Camilla both exude confidence in themselves and their self-esteem doesn't seem dependent on what other people think of them

Though Kate and Camilla are but two people in a world of 6 or so billion, where I'm certain a great many people aren't dependant on the the thoughts or expectations of others. I guess that's why I find that statement interesting :) Though given 'who they are', I can appreciate what you and Smilla are saying.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
Yes. I'm inclined to agree wholeheartedly, ysbel.

Though Kate and Camilla are but two people in a world of 6 or so billion, where I'm certain a great many people aren't dependant on the the thoughts or expectations of others. I guess that's why I find that statement interesting

Yes I'd agree there are...but I think the surprise for most people is that you don't normally find these self-contained people out in the public eye. If one likes and is comfortable with a great deal of public attention like many of the Hollywood starlets are, then I daresay one can become dependent on that attention to feel good about oneself.

Since the majority of people we see in the public eye are 'paid performers' per se who had to audition for their jobs (whether they be an actress, singer, athlete or politician) I think a lot of people in the public eye do need that acclaim.

So its just unusual when we see someone in the public eye who doesn't seem to need the attention.

That's all.

Her Majesty the Queen does have that presence and self-confidence regardless of the acclaim or lack of it, I daresay because she never had to audition for the role.

Last edited:
Isn't it funny how the papers can take a nice young girl who may be the next Princess of Wales and Queen of England and reduce her down to a fashion statement or lack of a fashion statement and tie her importance to the rise and fall of the fashion industry?

Chiyo said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=442007&in_page_id=1770&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=picbox&ct=5

In case the story changes later on, they're saying that Kate and William at Cheltenham remind them of Charles and Camilla. Sensibly dressed = middle aged. I guess the papers would prefer the Posh 'n' Becks route.

Personally I do not like this outfit at all. The Daily Mail article is right, both P. William and Kate look much older than they really are. I don’t think Kate’s suit is flattering on her at all, the color is just so dull against her dark hair and skin tone. Also, the long dangle earnings (see picture) she is wearing, which she has wore many times before are really mismatched with her conservative outfit. Such shame, it would have been nice to see her in a spring-like coat similar to the one Zara is wearing.

http://www.supload.us/free/73560986.jpg/view/

ysbel said:
Her Majesty the Queen does have that presence and self-confidence regardless of the acclaim or lack of it, I daresay because she never had to audition for the role.

Yes, quite so!

God help the British public if that were the case!

Well, I am sure that some of us, myself included, have made "fashion" or for my part, regular clothing, choices that we liked and that might not have looked the best. Everyone has an opinion and everyone wants to express that, including the person who is wearing the clothing. While some might not like the clothing choices that Kate Middleton has made, she is entitled to wear anything she likes, and she is also entitled to have a few misses, as any woman would. Not everything looks fabulous on everyone, but if she likes it then that is what matters.

My grandmother always said it is not the clothes that make a woman, but rather the woman that makes the clothes. And no matter what she wears Kate Middleton always seems to be secure in herself, which makes the clothing that much less important.

Kate and Will do look a bit Charles-and-Camilla-ish, though. It's not a bad thing. Charles and Camilla are lovely people. There are many times when I look at William and see so much of his father just itching to burst forth. And these new pictures are just that sort of time. Kate also has interesting qualities in common with Camilla: the (upper)middle-class, two-parent background, close to her siblings, good public schools, excellent self-esteem, stable, uncomplicated,unfussy, et al.

theprincess said:
Personally I do not like this outfit at all. The Daily Mail article is right, both P. William and Kate look much older than they really are. I don’t think Kate’s suit is flattering on her at all, the color is just so dull against her dark hair and skin tone. Also, the long dangle earnings (see picture) she is wearing, which she has wore many times before are really mismatched with her conservative outfit. Such shame, it would have been nice to see her in a spring-like coat similar to the one Zara is wearing.

Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

yes exactly... Zara looked nice, and managed to look 'country' while not looking midde aged. Also does anyone else think that the combination emphasised how thin she is, and not in a good way??

I think both Kate and William look cute. Their outfits are very British!

Empress said:
Well, I am sure that some of us, myself included, have made "fashion" or for my part, regular clothing, choices that we liked and that might not have looked the best. Everyone has an opinion and everyone wants to express that, including the person who is wearing the clothing. While some might not like the clothing choices that Kate Middleton has made, she is entitled to wear anything she likes, and she is also entitled to have a few misses, as any woman would. Not everything looks fabulous on everyone, but if she likes it then that is what matters.

My grandmother always said it is not the clothes that make a woman, but rather the woman that makes the clothes. And no matter what she wears Kate Middleton always seems to be secure in herself, which makes the clothing that much less important.

Your grandmother is a very smart lady. :flowers:

I thought they both looked fine. Maybe it's because I don't have much of an eye for fashion, so I tend to look at how something fits and if the color is okay, as opposed to whether or not it is cute and trendy. I thought the color was alright.....I have dark hair and light skin and I wear dark colors and I think it works on me.....so I tend to project.

ysbel said:
Isn't it funny how the papers can take a nice young girl who may be the next Princess of Wales and Queen of England and reduce her down to a fashion statement or lack of a fashion statement and tie her importance to the rise and fall of the fashion industry?

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised. Everything and everyone is judged at the most shallow level these days.

(I'm sounding like a bit of an old grump myself! I think it's time to leave the press to their miserable business and start on my homework. :lol:)

samgee said:
yes exactly... Zara looked nice, and managed to look 'country' while not looking midde aged. Also does anyone else think that the combination emphasised how thin she is, and not in a good way??

The first thing I noticed was how very narrow her hips are. I've noticed that quality before; to me she looks a bit like she's had a session on the rack and been stretched from rib-cage to knees. It's just her build, she doesn't look under-nourished at all, but I think the outfit draws attention to the narrow hips. Some people may think very narrow hips is a good thing, to me she looks a bit out of proportion. It's just a matter of personal opinion. And with that I say I am extremely grateful my photograph is not plastered in the newspapers for all to see and comment on. :lol:

But, with the exception of the choice of earrings, I think Kate's outfit is just fine for the occasion. She is not a teenager, and her outfit is modern and smart and appropriate for her, I think. I think William's outfit is fine too. I think they are both appropriately dressed for the occasion, and make a good looking couple.

i really dont like either og there outfits it looked so old and to old for there age it was just horrible i think

I love the pictures too of William arriving in his car wearing his glasses. I guess we know now that he hasn't done the laser eye surgery like earlier reports said he might.

I thought they looked great and "appropriate" for the occasion. Nice to see them at another public function together.

I liked their outfits!! I think Catherine's suit was perfect for the occasion, and she looked very similiar to other people who were attending. The skirt was nice, it added an individual touch to the whole suit. I even liked the color of Prince William's blazer.

It was cute that he matched his tie to the color of her suit. I think Zara looked very refreshing also. I guess this means Catherine and her family aren't in Barbados, huh? :rolleyes:

Catherines outfit is what a lot of the 'professional' young ladies are wearing, in the city and the country. Zara, to me looked nice but who wears a stone/beige shortie mac in the country? :wacko:

Catherine dressed appropriately for the event and her age, IMO and so much better than some of the young women there, with their half mast drop waist trousers, skirts and skimpy short cut tops! :wacko: Builders bum is never nice to see! :lol:

I thought Kate looked quite nice and professional. I think wills looks like both Diana and Charles. But one notable windsor trait that william has is his hair loss. He needs to do something to fix that.

I love to see them togheter, so little chances!. A question, the fact that she appears in public events like this gives their relationship the character of official¿ and Im not talking about engagment, Im confused here about her role

avrilo said:
I love to see them togheter, so little chances!. A question, the fact that she appears in public events like this gives their relationship the character of official¿ and Im not talking about engagment, Im confused here about her role

Her role is Prince William's girlfriend. She has been accepted by TRF and will continue to appear at some events with William. When/if they annouce the engagement, I'm sure she will accompany him everywhere. Charles had lots of girlfriends before he married Diana, it's the same deal.

since catherine may be the wife of diana's son, i think it's inevitable that her fashion sense will be critiqued to death. i agree, it's a shame but (and through no fault of her own) the media will have her trying to fill diana's shoes, both as a celebrity and a fashion icon. this poor girl won't get a break.

Kate looked nice at the races.Her choice of outfit was just right for the occasion.

For me Kate does dress kinds old-fashioned, certainly not the vision I had of a future Princess of my country but maybe with time, money and stylists I will like her outfits.

Her outfit at the races was very old fashioned to me and must people I know, I am her age and would not wear it but she obviously liked it and she has the right to wear what she likes.

To be honest I thought she and William looked like an old couple, tweed can be nice if the cut is right.

Just like with Mary, Mette-Marit etc, we are not going to like what she wears all of the time and it is okay to say so.

However the pics at the races is the first time I have thought an engagement could be soon, Kate had a Royal groomed look about her and just something looked different with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom