General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her next public engagement is on 17 March 2013, for the Irish Guards. Whether she turns up for this who knows?
She is clearly not bothered what the public think. She never really worked before she married anyway. I admire Chelsy for at least doing some work. Kate is just being overly pampered. And making excuses all the time.

I think her worst enemy will be indifference by the public towards her.

This is rather harsh. She has been unwell, but she is getting better. No one in their right mind would organise public engagements until they were sure she wouldn't throw up over the organisers.

If you read across the threads you would know that she has been in contact with her charities - she has visited the NPG, been exchanging art work with children for The Art Room, donated a baby hamper to EACH plus been in contact ... I know dthat off the top of my head.

As for 17th March, in fact it should be William attending as he is Colonel in Chief. Catherine did it last year because he was in the Falklands.

Why not just wait for the announcements?

Her next public engagement is on 17 March 2013, for the Irish Guards. Whether she turns up for this who knows?
She is clearly not bothered what the public think. She never really worked before she married anyway. I admire Chelsy for at least doing some work. Kate is just being overly pampered. And making excuses all the time.

You really don't care for Kate do,you?

Why not click on the link in 4Pam's post above? If there's one thing the public is not towards Kate it's indifferent. Good or bad, the interest in her is huge.

I remember Kate did have a job and did work in London after graduating from St. Andrews... BUT the media hounded her so, that she eventually had to quit that job and go to work at the family business where hovering media would not be such a overwhelming problem.

I remember Kate did have a job and did work in London after graduating from St. Andrews... BUT the media hounded her so, that she eventually had to quit that job and go to work at the family business where hovering media would not be such a overwhelming problem.

Yup. She's been under the media microscope since even before she left university- and dealt with it for nearly ten years without any official help from the palace as she wasn't yet a member of the royal family.

She really couldn't win- any job she worked outside of her family business lead to media harassment but when she opted to work for her parents, she was called lazy.

Yup. She's been under the media microscope since even before she left university- and dealt with it for nearly ten years without any official help from the palace as she wasn't yet a member of the royal family.

She really couldn't win- any job she worked outside of her family business lead to media harassment but when she opted to work for her parents, she was called lazy.

It's a manefestation of inverted snobbery - some people do not like to see people move up the social ladder. Catherine marrying a future king; her parents working hard and becoming wealthy. Ridiculous. They should be congratulating this family.

Still - it will be good to see her out and about again with formal engagements.

The Duchess of Cambridge put up with a lot over the years because of her relationship with Prince William. What amazes me, she never let the pressure break her down. I'm sure she had her struggles with it and had the help of her family, Friends and William.

Despite everything, Her Royal Highness carries on with her head held high and a smile on her face. I think she's a strong woman and that's just what William needed in his life.

I´m afraid there is something worse than indifference, and that is resentment. That is my impression of the lastest comments in the press. And she´s dragging William along with her reputation. She´s not the lovely middle class down to earth girl who married Wiliam any more.(well she never was for me:lol:)

cepe, you are not including the donation of a hamper as "work", are you?:ROFLMAO:

The Duchess of Cambridge has a pretty good reputation. Everyone who have met her on official engagements and on a personal level, has nothing but great things to say about her. Many of them enjoy talking to her and just getting to know her personally.

There's a great deal that's been made up about her by people who just don't like her. Not everyone will like her and she can't please everybody but there's been a great deal of unfair criticism directed her way.

I think she have her way of fighting back by just getting on with things and ignoring certain stuff and some people. She's married to the love of her life, doing her royal duties and supporting her charities. Now she's about to welcome her first child into the world. While some folks are busy being mean to her, her life is moving on.

I´m afraid there is something worse than indifference, and that is resentment. That is my impression of the lastest comments in the press. And she´s dragging William along with her reputation. She´s not the lovely middle class down to earth girl who married Wiliam any more.(well she never was for me:lol:)

cepe, you are not including the donation of a hamper as "work", are you?:ROFLMAO:

Have you ever considered finding a subject to post about that you enjoy? Putting out some positive energy rather than constant negativity towards people you've never met?

There's a great deal that's been made up about her by people who just don't like her. Not everyone will like her and she can't please everybody but there's been a great deal of unfair criticism directed her way.

Makes me realize that no matter how well someone does, there are those that will seek and find and/or imagine something negative to say about it. One could find a cure for cancer and write an astounding thesis on the technicalities of the find and there'll be someone out there that'll notice that they used a comma instead of a period on page 2631, paragraph 4. :bang:

Such is life and for the most part, people like this deserve to be ignored as its their own failings that come across loud and clear.

Have you ever considered finding a subject to post about that you enjoy? Putting out some positive energy rather than constant negativity towards people you've never met?

I am afraid some posters can only make positive comments about the daughter of a minister in a brutal dictatorship. although she also seems to be quite a nice woman, other than her most others get trashed pretty regularly. Some people I guess just live in a dark and negative world.

Makes me realize that no matter how well someone does, there are those that will seek and find and/or imagine something negative to say about it. One could find a cure for cancer and write an astounding thesis on the technicalities of the find and there'll be someone out there that'll notice that they used a comma instead of a period on page 2631, paragraph 4. :bang:

Such is life and for the most part, people like this deserve to be ignored as its their own failings that come across loud and clear.

This is very true. Some people just can't win, because there are those who want to pick them apart for no reason aside from envy. I happen to work under a supervisor who is exactly like that, though I've yet to figure out why she's jealous of me; I'm a teacher, she's the principal, so in my eyes it doesn't make sense. As for Catherine, there will always be those among the general public and the press who will literally thrive on tearing her to pieces. I give the Duchess a lot of credit for just getting on with her life, and don't what is best for her and the family she has chosen to be a part of, and not give a fig about what some insignificant reporters from the Daily Rag, or posters on a forum have to say.

A paper is attaching a Royal? This is unheard of! [/sarcasm]

:previous: LOL! But the gloves have really come off with regards to Kate, and just in the past three months or so, have they not? Whether justified or not is another matter entirely, and I'm sure that the opinions thereon run the gamut.

But why the change so swiftly and suddenly, and why has it seemed to coincide with the announcement of her pregnancy?

:previous: LOL! But the gloves have really come off with regards to Kate, and just in the past three months or so, have they not? Whether justified or not is another matter entirely, and I'm sure that the opinions thereon run the gamut.

But why the change so swiftly and suddenly, and why has it seemed to coincide with the announcement of her pregnancy?

There's two things that I've noticed.

1. The topless/bottomless pictures really did her damage - more so than Harry. People are inherently sexist and seem to be okay with the playboy Prince getting naked in Vegas, but not with the other Prince's wife not wanting tan lines. There seems to be a lot about how she's a commoner and therefore inherently unfit to be the consort of the future king.

2. The Middletons, especially since the Olympics, have somehow garnered this reputation of being like the Woodvilles. They seem to be seen as upstarts who are looking to takeover the crown.

The way that papers have responded to the bikini pictures seems to not have helped either.

I was reading this in the SMH a few minutes ago. What a nasty, mean-spirited piece of work Hillary Mantel is! I suppose that's one way to raise your profile and by extension her possible book sales.....no such thing as bad publicity it seems.

Not that I'm a cynic, I can't say as I've noticed her books in my local QBD bookshop.

I don't think it relates to her pregnancy as much as her absence.... Kate sells. If she isn't around, they will make stuff up, or report alternating sides of the same story to drag the story as long as possible. She is a little tarnished now, but will be shiny and bright once she starts appearing in public on a regular basis.

Funny, as for the most part, people were pretty outraged those topless photos happened. Remember, they were on *Private* property and considering how far away from the road they were, had every expectation of just that. Privacy.

IMO, the only ones who got damaged by that entire mess was the Media. They did something that crossed the line *Big Time* and, then when William and Kate took legal action and rightfully so I might add, is when the attacks started to take place in earnest.

I mean...How dare they do this to the Media, so in turn, we'll just take our revenge out on them by tearing them down in the Papers/Radio and TV Stations. All we need to do is take an innocent statement, put it out of context in an article or state Kate/William said this, when actually that's not what they said at all, but hey...Who cares about the actual truth anymore!?! Especially if it means we get a bit of our own back for the nerve of them wanting to have a bit of privacy when not on duty?

What's been done to Harry the last few weeks is a perfect example of that. If anyone had actually seen the British Armed Forces doc Prince on a Mission, they'd see that all of the "whining" and so on we were all "told Harry had done and in turn, had disgraced himself and the uniform", didn't really take place. What had actually happened is Harry said a few things about the Media that they didn't like and they in turn twisted certain clips to make it seem that Captain Wales actually did come across as a spoilt little Prince.

It's up over at YouTube for those interested in seeing what Harry *actually* said BTW. Anyway....

Just like all of the fuss over the Bikini pics. Who is it that's actually screaming Bloody Murder and Foul in Public? Not Will and Kate, but the Press. All that's been said by the Cambridges is that they were deeply disappointed it happened and that was it and that was all. It's the Press that's turned it into something far worse.

Sadly in this age of instant news and everyone having such hectic busy lives, no one really has the time these day to sit down and see if what's being told to us by the Press/Media is the actual truthful story and facts or not. So in turn, most People believe exactly what they're being told these day and leaving it at that.

Which scares me, as that's not the kind of World I'd like to live in. :(

Now, I'd love to think I'm going to be reading some great informative articles tomorrow/later today about the great work Action on Addiction's doing and what exactly the Centre HRH is visiting does, but I know there'll only be a couple of snippets on that if we're lucky. Reality wise, it'll be all about what she's wearing, then how we haven't seen her since late November/early December and the vacation.

Sad and frustrating all rolled up into one.

Still looking forward to seeing Kate out and about again. I just wish the Media would grow up and act like the supposed adults they are w/the coverage, but... :(

The way people react to every article and take it as the truth really makes me doubt people's intelligence. It's like those people who watch JFK and immediately forget its a movie not a documentary.
Btw whatever that article posted says I will not be reading and give that website hits.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter So two days running Britain's newspapers have featured prominent people criticising the Duchess of Cambridge. Is the honeymoon over?

Eh, I'd say it's a normal media cycle. The press needs to maintain a narrative on subjects that sell, and glowing praise gets old after awhile. From what I recall, the same thing has happened to every woman who has married into the modern Royal Family. Diana had her moment where she was portrayed as a vacuous shopaholic, and Fergie had her figure and dress sense criticized in really cruel ways. Sophie was set up and trapped into saying less than tactful things in an environment where she expected privacy, and then there was all the speculation that Edward was gay and she was covering for him.

I expected this for Kate- and I imagine she's tough enough to handle it. She got through all the mean-spirited "Waity Katy" press cycles too. The narrative will switch back when the press feel like giving her a redemptive arc. It won't be long.

Also, I just read the piece linked, and it didn't sound at all like a criticism of Kate as a person- more a criticism of how women in the royal system are viewed by the public through the lens of media and it was placed into historical perspective with information about other royal women.

She was criticizing the way the media portrays Kate and the way the public relates to that- not Kate herself. It's actually an interesting lecture, I'd love to hear it in its entirety.

This sounds like a slow news day kind of thing- plus the press love portraying the "cat fight" narrative where they pit two successful women against each other.

I was reading this in the SMH a few minutes ago. What a nasty, mean-spirited piece of work Hillary Mantel is! I suppose that's one way to raise your profile and by extension her possible book sales.....no such thing as bad publicity it seems.

Not that I'm a cynic, I can't say as I've noticed her books in my local QBD bookshop.

Hilary Mantel doesn't need to sell more books or raise her profile (unless she is aiming to compete with EL James in the sales department). She is a critically acclaimed, two times Booker prize winning, bestselling author. There isn't anywhere to go up from there in terms of acclaim apart from the Nobel for Literature.

I'm not saying this necessarily makes her points about Kate valid, just that I doubt she made these comments for attention or media coverage, unlike when some so called celebrities diss or praise Kate. I suspect these are just her opinions and the topic came up when she was discussing her work, which deals with the study royalty.

I did think Hilary's comments regarding Kate versus Anne Boleyn had a grain of truth. From all we know of Anne, she was a brilliant, intelligent, charming, witty woman full of personality and passion. I think Hilary is right that Kate can't hold her a candle to Anne. From how Kate presents herself to the public, we can't see any charisma or wit, just polite manners on a pretty frame. I suppose it depends on how you like your women, and I must say I lean towards Hilary's opinions.

Hilary Mantel doesn't need to sell more books or raise her profile (unless she is aiming to compete with EL James in the sales department). She is a critically acclaimed, two times Booker prize winning, bestselling author. There isn't anywhere to go up from there in terms of acclaim apart from the Nobel for Literature.

I'm not saying this necessarily makes her points about Kate valid, just that I doubt she made these comments for attention or media coverage, unlike when some so called celebrities diss or praise Kate. I suspect these are just her opinions and the topic came up when she was discussing her work, which deals with the study royalty.

I did think Hilary's comments regarding Kate versus Anne Boleyn had a grain of truth. From all we know of Anne, she was a brilliant, intelligent, charming, witty woman full of personality and passion. I think Hilary is right that Kate can't hold her a candle to Anne. From how Kate presents herself to the public, we can't see any charisma or wit, just polite manners on a pretty frame. I suppose it depends on how you like your women, and I must say I lean towards Hilary's opinions.

This actually has me very interested in reading her books- I think I'll stop by the library tomorrow and get the first one.

Ms. Mantel's perspective on royal history sounds really, really fascinating. It's a bit sad that her words are being deliberately misconstrued.

Here is the link to the full piece should anyone want to read it without the editorial input of the various royal reporters: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n04/hilary-mantel/royal-bodies

Last edited:

It's not like there haven't been other articles criticizing Kate. It's the natural ebb and flow of the media. They build you up to tear you down.

Also, I just read the piece linked, and it didn't sound at all like a criticism of Kate as a person- more a criticism of how women in the royal system are viewed by the public through the lens of media and it was placed into historical perspective with information about other royal women.

She was criticizing the way the media portrays Kate and the way the public relates to that- not Kate herself. It's actually an interesting lecture, I'd love to hear it in its entirety.

This sounds like a slow news day kind of thing- plus the press love portraying the "cat fight" narrative where they pit two successful women against each other.

Yep. I just read the whole thing and it sounds like she's criticizing the way the media portrays and objectifies royals - particularly female ones. She also talks a bit about the Queen, Diana, PC and Harry. At the end of the article, she basically asks the media and public to back off Kate.

Last edited:
The Hilary Mantel story: I think it's mainly down to people who think they everybody firgured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom