General News for the Cambridge Family 2: January 2015-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not great journalism if they can't get The Duchess of Cambridge's or Princess William of Wales title correct. I thought The Fail had some poor reporting.:(

People magazine actually spent a while trying to decide what they should call her (as The Duchess of Cambridge seems a bit formal and a bit too much for a headline). The even had a poll on their website at one point asking readers how they thought they should refer to her. Since then, they've gone with "Princess Kate." So, in their defense, they know they're wrong, but they decided to be consistent with their incorrectness. :lol:

I understand in a way the ' Kate Middleton ' thing because of her being known as that throughout their courtship but why ' Princess Kate '? Don't anyone feel they have to answer me, I am just expressing frustration.

I'd be happy with some candid shots from Catherine. But, I'm afraid I'm dreaming.

possibly after the fact... but i dont expect anyone will do anything to take away from this day.

I understand in a way the ' Kate Middleton ' thing because of her being known as that throughout their courtship but why ' Princess Kate '? Don't anyone feel they have to answer me, I am just expressing frustration.

Well, I think it's an attempt to at least recognize that she is royal. I mean, Diana has long been referred to as "Princess Diana" even though that's not correct (and I'm sure plenty of journalists who know better have still called her that). Kate is a princess, so I think they're just trying to go for something short and easy-to-understand.

I often hear her referred to as "Duchess Kate" as well, which just doesn't work at all, IMO. American media outlets, particularly those that are entertainment-oriented, seem to struggle with what to call her, and most aren't going to get too caught up in correctness of titles.

Honestly I believe it is because most Americans prefer the title "Princess Kate" over "Duchess Kate or Duchess of Cambridge." Most wouldn't understand why and/or wouldn't like it if she was known as "Princess William" which would be her title if they didn't have the Cambridge one.

People Magazine just opted to use the one their readers liked. ;)

People magazine typically referred to The Duchess of York as Sarah or Fergie when she was married to Andrew.

Well, I think it's an attempt to at least recognize that she is royal. I mean, Diana has long been referred to as "Princess Diana" even though that's not correct (and I'm sure plenty of journalists who know better have still called her that). Kate is a princess, so I think they're just trying to go for something short and easy-to-understand.

I often hear her referred to as "Duchess Kate" as well, which just doesn't work at all, IMO. American media outlets, particularly those that are entertainment-oriented, seem to struggle with what to call her, and most aren't going to get too caught up in correctness of titles.

We are a nation of lovers of Disney Princesses and that's our idea of the best girl job in the world. We market pink and lavender little girl princess toys and outfits and that sell big time. My cynicism is showing, but my fellow American lack the desire to understand that a Duchess can indeed, trump a Princess. We are who we are. Apologies.

:previous::lol: You are absolutely right AdmirerUS.

Not great journalism if they can't get The Duchess of Cambridge's or Princess William of Wales title correct. I thought The Fail had some poor reporting.:(

It's People. Take it for what it is. I'm just glad at least one major tab/publication has stopped calling her Kate Middleton.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

It's People. Take it for what it is. I'm just glad at least one major tab/publication has stopped calling her Kate Middleton.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
I agree. If they write the duchess of cambridge, their readers won't know who that is and in the US "duchesses" are women like that one in one of those "real houswives" persons who married some european socialite. A princess entails more of the role that Kate has, than the word duchess does, eespecially to a country that doesn't have titles. I mean... yes, it annoys me as well but they gotta write for their audience!

Princess Kate is still better than when the UK papers use Prince William and Kate Middleton.

The readers of People aren't reading Burkes Peerage too. Princess Diana was used extensively here in America. So Princess Kate makes more sense in America than Princess William or Duchess of Cambridge which seems super formal. Most Americans probably wouldn't even known that Prince Henry of Wales is Prince Harry.

Wait in until Charles's ascension and William is Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge but not immediately Prince of Wales- there will be all sorts of title confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Princess Kate is still better than when the UK papers use Prince William and Kate Middleton.

The readers of People aren't reading Burkes Peerage too. Princess Diana was used extensively here in America. So Princess Kate makes more sense in America than Princess William or Duchess of Cambridge which seems super formal. Most Americans probably wouldn't even known that Prince Henry of Wales is Prince Harry.

Wait in until Charles's ascension and William is Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge but not immediately Prince of Wales- there will be all sorts of title confusion.

Hahah, very true! xD

I can tell you, Catherine's late mother-in-law did not like being called "Princess Diana" though. She always made attempts to correct those who called her that.

I call her Catherine, or The Duchess of Cambridge.

I can tell you, Catherine's late mother-in-law did not like being called "Princess Diana" though. She always made attempts to correct those who called her that.

I call her mostly Kate... Since that is what I "got to know her" as... But also DoC and her full title. Sometimes Catherine... But Kate in a more casual/gossipy setting and Duchess of Cambridge when more formal! Saying "the duchess" doesn't cut it in most places, and I just never got used to calling her Catherine, and Duchess of Cambridge is waaaay to long.

My husband had to peel me off the ceiling when one of our friends told his daughter, named Katie, that there was going to be a Princess Kate. I know I'm being picky, but as I have a name that is terribly unique, I am very sensitive to names and titles.

Honestly I believe it is because most Americans prefer the title "Princess Kate" over "Duchess Kate or Duchess of Cambridge." Most wouldn't understand why and/or wouldn't like it if she was known as "Princess William" which would be her title if they didn't have the Cambridge one.

People Magazine just opted to use the one their readers liked. ;)

People magazine typically referred to The Duchess of York as Sarah or Fergie when she was married to Andrew.

Duchess Kate is probably the most accurate of her inaccurate names - that or Kate Middleton, which was actually her name at one point.

The thing about this is that in the modern era where the google searches count. If you search "Duchess of Cambridge" you only get 19 million hits. Duchess Kate gets 31 million, Kate Middleton 76 million, Princess Kate 101 million.

We are a nation of lovers of Disney Princesses and that's our idea of the best girl job in the world. We market pink and lavender little girl princess toys and outfits and that sell big time. My cynicism is showing, but my fellow American lack the desire to understand that a Duchess can indeed, trump a Princess. We are who we are. Apologies.

I doubt it's purely an American thing - after all, the Daily Mail is a horrible offender, and it's a British paper.

There is an intricate complexity to the way British titles work that people don't necessarily take the time to understand. The fact of the matter is that it's something that takes time to learn. Kate's not the only victim of this ignorance; within the BRF you have the Queen, who's referred to as the Queen of England, Camilla, who's still referred to as Parker-Bowles, Harry, who people don't seem to realize is also Henry (I find it entertaining to see how frequently his name is "corrected" on Wikipedia pages), Louise and James who are called "Windsor" if remembered at all, Diana who still gets Princess Diana or The Princess of Wales, Sarah who seems to encourage being called the Duchess of York, and so on....

Duchess Kate is probably the most accurate of her inaccurate names - that or Kate Middleton, which was actually her name at one point.

The thing about this is that in the modern era where the google searches count. If you search "Duchess of Cambridge" you only get 19 million hits. Duchess Kate gets 31 million, Kate Middleton 76 million, Princess Kate 101 million.

I doubt it's purely an American thing - after all, the Daily Mail is a horrible offender, and it's a British paper.

There is an intricate complexity to the way British titles work that people don't necessarily take the time to understand. The fact of the matter is that it's something that takes time to learn. Kate's not the only victim of this ignorance; within the BRF you have the Queen, who's referred to as the Queen of England, Camilla, who's still referred to as Parker-Bowles, Harry, who people don't seem to realize is also Henry (I find it entertaining to see how frequently his name is "corrected" on Wikipedia pages), Louise and James who are called "Windsor" if remembered at all, Diana who still gets Princess Diana or The Princess of Wales, Sarah who seems to encourage being called the Duchess of York, and so on....
Exactly! I mean... it IS intricate so you can't expect a random tabloid to use that level of "knowledge" in their texts. I mean.. Here in Sweden it is easy.. Sofia Hellqvist became Princess Sofia.. End of story! She married a prince, became a princess. Easy. (although, her maiden name is still used alot because of google-ability...) But Kate is not as clear cut. William is a prince, but not really more of like because his fater is.. And when he got married he became a duke, that in this case is higher than a prince but not if he was another type of prince. etc etc... :p

It varies, doesn't it? The British and U.S. media never referred to Fergie as 'Princess Sarah' and if Sophie Wessex has ever been called 'Princess Sophie' I must have missed it. Titles and stylings are a minefield really, on both sides of the Atlantic. For instance Princess Anne is hardly ever referred to as 'the Princess Royal' even though she is and has been for some time!

I have noticed that the 'Kate Middleton' references in the media have begun to fade since Charlotte's birth, though. I have to say that I think 'Duchess Kate' should be quite easy for people to recognise in the context of an article, even if the Cambridge isn't mentioned.

Last edited:
Has anyone actually seen pictures of any member of the family Cambridge in Scotland?
Or is this is all just hearsay?

Is this story even believable? Has it been confirmed by BP or KP?

The Queen said, "It is not a record to which I have ever aspired." while she and her husband the Duke of Edinburgh performed their duties.

The Queen and nearly her entire family were engaged in royal duties today and yet some want to believe this story that the Queen chose to spend her 'special day" with William.:whistling::whistling::whistling:

William has a job. Has he already taken a vacation after only a month on the job?

How long was this vacation? So far according to the reports, Tuesday, Wednesday....

If William arrived yesterday maybe the Queen's entire family had dinner yesterday.

Last edited:
Has anyone actually seen pictures of any member of the family Cambridge in Scotland?

The Queen said, "It is not a record to which I have ever aspired." while she and her husband the Duke of Edinburgh performed their duties.

The Queen and nearly her entire family were engaged in royal duties today and yet some want to believe this story that the Queen chose to spend her 'special day" with William.:whistling::whistling::whistling:

William has a job. Has he already taken a vacation after only a month on the job?

How long was this vacation? So far according to the reports, Tuesday, Wednesday....

If William arrived yesterday maybe the Queen's entire family had dinner yesterday.

It was announce on the BBC News that the Cambridge's had arrived in Scotland, but there are no pictures that I know of. They just had a simple private dinner, no big celebration at Balmoral.

1. BBC in not always accurate.
2. The family may have had dinner yesterday.
3. William arriving in Scotland is not the same as the Queen spending her 'special' day with William.
4. Unless if comes out of BP, CH or KP. It is just a rumor.
5. Does not make sense for William to go on vacation after only a month on the job? Makes more sense that he or he & Kate flew up for a quick get together with entire family. It might have been a last minute dinner quickly arranged by Charles.
6. Or no such dinner occurred.

If it was a private dinner how does anyone know who was and was not present?

Last edited:

No pictures but reported by BBC and several reputable sources.

I think the timing just coinsided with their yearly visit to scotland. The queen appearantly likes to host one family at the time so to be able to give them full focus, and earlier there was the Phillips and before that Wessex. Might be that the timing fitted to have the Cambridges there now.

Also, his job is a 4 day on 4 day off shift scheduel and they arrived on an afternoon/evening meaning he could easily have worked that day. So it is very possible that they fit it in on one of those 4days off periods :)

General News for the Cambridge Family Part 2: January 2015

If they stay through Sunday, there will be going to church pictures. That's basically the only time we see pictures at Balmoral on a constant basis. Most likely they took a private plane to Scotland from Norfolk since there wasn't any WKGC were on my flight tweets. When they went in 2013 with baby George, they borrowed the Duke of Westminster's plane to go to Scotland. That time they press managed to check plane photos at the airport.

Balmoral is private property so the paps can't be hiding out on the grounds.

What did the BBC actually report?
They stood outside Balmoral and said that the Cambridges had arrived to Balmoral that afternoon/evening.

If they stay through Sunday, there will be going to church pictures. That's basically the only time we see pictures at Balmoral on a constant basis. Most likely they took a private plane to Scotland from Norfolk since there wasn't any WKGC were on my flight tweets. When they went in 2013 with baby George, they borrowed the Duke of Westminster's plane to go to Scotland. That time they press managed to check plane photos at the airport.

Balmoral is private property so the paps can't be hiding out on the grounds.

Exactly! One of the things the royal family have long loved about Balmoral is how it's a really big, private area and they can roam around in nature without people taking photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
They most likely are at Balmoral. Charles was away and busy and so was Camilla.

They most likely are at Balmoral. Charles was away and busy and so was Camilla.
Yeah, and Sophie was away in the evening as well and some others had engagements so the dinner speculation was probably false. Or not false, since the Queen probably had dinner with her guests that were at Balmoral, but false as in "pumped up" to be a dinner with invited extra people.

Her quote "It is not a record to which I have ever aspired" does not mean that the occasion is not celebrated. For someone so tuned in to tradition and the royal way of doing things for her to not recognize the occasion would be strange. It would also be too arrogant for her to acknowledge that she was chasing a record. It is a momentous day and I am sure it is one of her special days too and is celebrated in private with family and special friends.

I think the report that Will and Kate were to head to Scotland with the children came out quite a while ago and from my perspective, it was just an ordinary trip to go visit Granny for a little bit. Of course they all had dinner. Its usually something that all people do once a day.

Maybe, just maybe, when no one was looking, HM sat in the chair that belonged to Queen Victoria and has been noted as such and nobody ever sat in it at Balmoral. For me, she marked the day with the best possible way of doing so. Being Queen and doing Queen things to perfection as she always has done.

The BBC are considered a reputable source by many the world over. Their Royal Correspondent made a comment about The Cambridge's arrival live outside the gates of Balmoral. I believe one of the pipers outside Osborne House made an interesting point yesterday, H.M had wanted no fuss and another correspondent, that the day was also indirectly linked to the commeration of the death of her relatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom