General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
UK_zps6c589394.png
Philip_zpsdab7488b.png

Arms of HM The Queen of the United Kingdom and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

Welcome to Queen Elizabeth II and The Duke of Edinburgh's
General News Thread, Part Two

Commencing March 19, 2017

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited by a moderator:
"'The Queen is glad that you like the guards' Boy 6 who dreams of being a Royal Guard writes adorable letter to the Queen - and is stunned by her responce"

Royal family fan overjoyed by reply from Buckingham Palace | Daily Mail Online

"A slice of history from the Queen's wedding is the icing on the cake for Hanson Auctioneers"

A slice of history from the Queen's wedding is the icing on the cake for Hansons Auctioneers | Burton Mail

Prince Philip's beloved black London cab to go on display | Daily Mail Online

"I had that Prince Philip in the front of my taxi once , Duke of Edinburgh retires the beloved black cab that let him drive round London unnoticed"

Britains oldest man refuses card from The Queen because she always looks “so miserable” – Royal Central

"The UK’s oldest man celebrated his birthday this Wednesday and is now 109. However, he has refused the traditional birthday card that people receive when they are over 100-years-old.
Robert said: “I decided not to receive a card every year from the Queen because I didn’t want a huge collection of cards that I add to every year,”
He added: “However, I did accept one from her two years ago because it’s the only one I’d seen that she was smiling on. In the rest of the cards, she looked a bit miserable while on official duties"

"A police investigation is underway after a coin which bears the Queen's image was stolen from a museum in Germany"

£3.2m coin featuring The Queen’s image stolen from museum – Royal Central

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39409754

Royal Gifts exhibition to show presents given to Queen during her 65-year reign | Daily Mail Online

Exhibition of the Queen's gifts opens at Buckingham Palace | Daily Mail Online

Buckingham Palace exhibition of Royal gifts given to Queen during her 65-year reign

"At the prestigious Sotheby’s Made in Britain event this week, buyers had the chance to purchase some heavily-price tagged British artwork. One of those was a portrait of Queen Elizabeth, entitled Lightness of Being, which broke pre-sale records."

This Amazing Portrait Of The Queen Just Sold For An Eye-Watering Sum

Last edited by a moderator:
It does seem a bit random.

Obviously such an event has been planned for (probably for the best part of the last 65 years!), so not news as such.

Well the DM is a tabloid, probably trying to get more readership.

Though the use of the code if true is intriguing, I read another article in which the Queen uses her handbag to signal her assistants

I don't like the fact that this leak happened, but the insight into how the events will fall into place once The Queen pass is very fascinating. I think with The Queen in her last years of reign, and the fact no one has seen a State funeral for a British Monarch in 65 years, is causing interest in the steps that will occur once it happens.

It's going to be a sight to see for everyone, even those who think royalty is irrelevant and totally ridiculous, will be straining themselves to get a look.

Last edited:
Although specific details were never made public, I think we all knew that there were plans in place and that they were even practiced from time to time so that they'd be well prepared should anything happen.

You're right on the money when it comes to being an occasion the likes of what we've never seen before. I think its going to be as if the world has stopped its normal day to day routines and joins in mourning a woman who has been the epitome of what a head of state and world leader and defines what the words "Queen Regnant" means.

The Daily Mail article is lifted 'verbatim' [as far as I can see] from 'the Guardian'. published a few days ago..

The Daily Mail article is lifted 'verbatim' [as far as I can see] from 'the Guardian'. published a few days ago..

I noticed that as well, the Guardian article had a little more analysis which the DM article has cut out to make it just a little different and a little more fact based.

Here is the Guardian article https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

In fairness I don't think much has been leaked out, there are no details about the Queen's actual funeral and most of what is written is either common sense or facts we saw or heard about during the deaths of Diana and the Queen Mother. The only real revelation I saw was that the plan is for Charles to visit each of the UK's constituent countries so soon after his mother's death. The only real problem I see with the article is that the code phrase "London Bridge Is Down" is no longer secret to hide the Queen's death from telephone operators.

Last edited:
It's been written many articles on this and I have posted some of them in the old thread.

48 points taken from the very detailed Guardian article:
https://www.indy100.com/article/monarch-death-what-happens-in-britain-uk-funeral-7637866

Artickle (also posted in the old thread) from Rob Price, Business Insider UK: (first verson written in March 2015)
What happens when Queen Elizabeth II dies - Business Insider

Article (written in January) from Town & Country where Penny Junor says this: (I'm not Penny's biggest fan, but I fully agree with what she says here.)
What Happens When Queen Elizabeth II Dies - What Will Happen When The Queen Dies?
When the time comes, the passing of the Queen is sure to trigger both acute grief and uncertainty in Britain and around the world. As royal biographer Penny Juror explains, her death will be a "traumatic" event for Britain.

"The Queen is such a tremendously popular figure and during the course of her reign, so much has changed so dramatically," Juror told Town & Country. "There's not an aspect of life that hasn't changed, but the one constant in the midst of this has been the Queen, the rock solid thing we can hang on to."

THE QUEEN'S FUNERAL

This will be "an extraordinary occasion," says Juror. As monarch, the Queen will be given a state funeral, which is expected to take place 12 days after her death. The service will be led by the Archbishop of Canterbury, who the senior bishop of the Church of England, and will take place at either Westminster Abbey or St Paul's Cathedral, where there's likely to be an impressive international turnout. Like her father, mother, and many royals before her, it's widely believed the Queen will be laid to rest in St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

I adore the Queen and want her to live forever and I dread the day she dies.

But I find the death/funeral of the British monarch, reigning Queen of 16 countries, figurehead of 2 billion people, the most popular and iconic head of state (many would say person) in the world (although it may seem a bit morbid) very interesting in a historical perspective.

Last edited:
I will be deeply saddened, she was the Queen throughout my lifetime. It would be sometime to adjust who the current reigning monarch would be

There was a whole book written under this supposition. Including the phrase "London Bridge."

It isn't a big secret what will happen. The Queen's funeral isn't going to be dramatically different from her father's and grandfather's. There is archival footage from both. It's very similar to the Queen Mother's funeral. The Privy Council meeting and announcement of the new Monarch from St James Palace isn't a secret either.

It isn't a big secret what will happen. The Queen's funeral isn't going to be dramatically different from her father's and grandfather's. There is archival footage from both. It's very similar to the Queen Mother's funeral. The Privy Council meeting and announcement of the new Monarch from St James Palace isn't a secret either.
Not a secret at all (several newspapers have written about it long before the guardian article), and the funeral will (as you say) be very similar to her father's. But we can not compare it with that of the Queen Mother.

I wrote two long detailed posts in the 80th birthday thread for King Harald and Queen Sonja about former royal birthdays and celebrations in Norway.

I thought I'd do the same in a thread here about previous funerals of former British monarchs/consorts and go through them and then compare them with the future state funeral of the Queen. (Maybe in the after Elizabeth thread)

Operation London Bridge now has its own page on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_London_Bridge

General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip Part 2: March 2017

It will be more similar to the Queen Mother's than Diana's. The lying in state in Westminster Hall like the QM . The Crown on the top of the coffin in case of the Queen it's the Crown Jewels of the monarch instead of the consort. Sailors from the Royal Navy pull the monarch's coffin instead of horses. Burial at St George's chapel is the same. Because the Queen's funeral will be a state funeral, the scale will be bigger and you have more world leaders in attendance.

Last edited:
It will be more similar to the Queen Mother's than Diana's. The lying in state in Westminster Hall like the QM . The Crown on the top of the coffin in case of the Queen it's the Crown Jewels of the monarch instead of the consort. Sailors from the Royal Navy pull the monarch's coffin instead of horses. Burial at St George's chapel is the same. Because the Queen's funeral will be a state funeral, the scale will be bigger and you have more world leaders in attendance.

1. Agree! It can't be compared to Diana's funeral at all. The funeral in 1997 was (of course) actually quite simple in comparison with funerals of previous monarchs/consorts.

2. Exactly what I meant.

Most of us only have the funeral of the Queen Mum and Diana as reference. The people who remember 1952 and the King's funeral are probably not hanging out on this forum.

Most of us only have the funeral of the Queen Mum and Diana as reference. The people who remember 1952 and the King's funeral are probably not hanging out on this forum.
With the exception of nerds like me, who have spent a long time trying to find information about previous royal funerals as those of Queen Victoria in 1901, King Edward VII in 1910, Queen Alexandra in 1925, King George V in 1936, King George VI in 1952 and Queen Mary in 1953 .

Interestingly it will probably be one of the most watched events in the world thanks to TV and Internet. No doubt multiple channels will air the event live, or rebroadcast it in some cases.

With the exception of nerds like me, who have spent a long time trying to find information about previous royal funerals as those of Queen Victoria in 1901, King Edward VII in 1910, Queen Alexandra in 1925, King George V in 1936, King George VI in 1952 and Queen Mary in 1953 .

I think that since film of the events has been shared here on the forums (in a number of threads) that a lot of us who have been here a while have a good idea of what to expect.

For those new to the forums, when you have the time and interest, digging back into discussion threads can yield excellent results. :flowers:

What North Wales will do when the Queen dies - Daily Post
Ruthin’s Colin Edwards, who has been photographing the Royals for almost half a century, said the authority had jumped the gun in publishing these details.

He said: “The Queen turns 91 next month and she is in excellent health so I think they are a bit hasty. If Her Majesty was suffering a very serious illness then perhaps I could understand.

“As a royalist I hope she will emulate her mother and I think she can be the first monarch to reach their 100th birthday. At the moment she is in good health and I hope to meet her again.

“In photos published recently she does look extremely well. If there were concerns about her health then I think that would be the time to be discussing this.”

In 2015 the National Association of Civic Officers issued guidance to councils on what to do in the event of the monarch dying and Wrexham is one of many public bodies making sure it has its plans in order.

Many media organisations as well as the government and military have well rehearsed plans to deal with the period of national mourning and the succession of the King.

Mr Edwards has already been contacted by the BBC to provide his reflections on the Queen for a pre-prepared obituary piece.

“I was called by them about a month ago and I would have to speak about the Queen in the past tense which I think would be a very strange experience. I personally would be very upset. I do not want to even think about the Queen’s death,” he said.

She has had access to intelligence reports since the time of FDR and Churchill. Her grasp of how the world really operates must be astonishing.

Why are everyone talking about the Queen passing? Really unerving

Probably for the same reason that for most, it is wise to buy life insurance. Its not a subject that we like to think about happening but is something that is inevitable and we feel more at ease when we're prepared for it.

The British Royal Family is always prepared for any kind of circumstance to happen and to be honest, I do believe it does make things a whole lot easier when they do happen.

Probably because The Guardian and then other news outlets in the UK wrote articles about the plans for the first two weeks after her death late last week. Those stories have also been picked up and reported in the TV media outlets - certainly in some Commonwealth countries.

Yeah, it's a subject I don't really like to think about, but it is invetible, the impact would be tremendous

1. She is almost 91 and will be the first British monarch to die in over 60/70 years.

2. It started with the long article from Rob Price, Business Insider UK in March 2015 (uppdated in December 2016). It was mentioned and talked about in the Canadian, Australian, American, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish media/press etc.

3. She got a cold in December. And after that the press become obsessed with her death.

There were articles in the Sun, Mirror, Express and several others newpapers in December/January (copies of the Rob Price article).

4. Sam Knight wrote an long article about it for the The Guardian last week, and other newspaper copied/wrote about it.

Yeah, it's a subject I don't really like to think about, but it is invetible, the impact would be tremendous
Agree! As I said in post 10: I adore the Queen and want her to live forever, and I dread the day she dies.

But I do find the death/funeral of the British monarch, reigning Queen of 16 countries, figurehead of 2 billion people, the most popular and iconic head of state (many would say person) in the world (although it may sound a bit morbid) very interesting in a historical perspective.

Yes, I will be following closely to whatever happens! I want to really watch Charles's coronation!

From 1901 to 1952 there were 6 monarch changes, yet no changes since. It is something that this generation is unaccustomed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom