General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Concerning HM looking frail and things...
She *is* looking older lately, but still looking good for her age. (Of course she's having the best treatment when it comes down to medical things or things in general. Plus the genes from her mother...)
She *is* in fact walking more bent over, but as has been said, she still walks very well. The *only* thing I am always a bit worried of are her shoes and her heels. Apparently she feels comfortable in them, but given her age...
Shortcut: IMO she's ways from being frail ALTHOUGH she's lately ageing ( a bit ;))
If she remains like this (without falling etc) I bet she will be able to beat her mothers age.

I think the Queen looked surprisingly well today at the Queen's Speech, much better actually than last year when she had to wear the crown and all the state regalia. Prince Charles, on the other hand, looked old and frail to me (although other posters in the State Opening of Parliament disagreed).

Do we know what hospital the Duke was admitted to?

Just saw a statement that he was admitted as a pre-cautionary measure due to an infection from a pre-existing condition.

LaRae

Video:
Royal Spokesperson, Dickie Arbiter, has said that Prince Philip is only in hospital for observation, because at his age, it is better to err on the side of caution than take risks with his health. Arbiter also defended the fact that the Queen won't be leaving Royal Ascot to visit him, saying that Prince Philip would not want a fuss, he would just want to get in and let the doctors do their work, so he can get out again.
Home - ITNSource News

Rhiannon Mills‏ @SkyRhiannon
#PrinceCharles asked by @FionaMackieSky how the Duke of Edinburgh doing, he replied "He's getting better, he's getting better" #PrincePhilip

Last edited:
Perhaps important to note Dickie Arbiter is a former Press Secretary to the Queen and not the current one. I'm sure he has wonderful sources but he is not a current spokesperson for the Queen.

I see no reason to worry unduly about Philip, yes he is old now but he is made of strong stuff.

:previous:
1. Dickie Arbiter hasn't worked for the royal household since 2000.

2. It was ITN and not me who wrote the video text in my above post. And I didn't notice the ''Royal Spokesperson'' quote when I watched the video and then copied the text.

3. I agree with you about Philip and yes he is (as you said) old, but he's great for 96.

I seemed a bit irritadet in this post, so I edited it a bit.

Last edited:
I'm glad they are saying it is precautionary but it is still worrisome when a 96 year old man is admitted to the hospital.

Best wishes to him for a quick return home.

Nice to know he has left the hospital and back home resting. He did it without being pictured.

If anyone has even the slightest clue into Philip's character makeup, it would be unlike Philip to endorse any kind of "publicity" surrounding his recent stay in the hospital. I'm happy that other than the fact being know that he was hospitalized, no other details have emerged about it and he was able to get the care he needed at the time, recoup and return home with no one else the wiser.

If it hadn't happened that way, I'm sure Philip would have expressed his thoughts on the matter. Loudly. :D

3. I agree with you about Philip and yes he is (as you said) old, but he's great for 96.

I seemed a bit irritadet in this post, so I edited it a bit.

I wonder how much this statement is accurate.

The DoE (and the Queen) both put on a great show of being in good health for their ages, and very likely are in good health for their ages. However their have been little comments made recently that make me wonder if their health, or at least the DoE's, is not as good as it seems.

The DoE appears to be a healthy man with few visible mobility issues and a sound mind; other than a few health scares over the years we have no knowledge of any serious problems. Yet, when his retirement was announced a comment was made implying that he may have some serious mobility problems that have been hidden (or it may have just been a joke), and with this hospitalization we're being told of a "pre-existing condition".

It makes me worry that something is seriously wrong with the DoE's health. I don't believe we need to know or be told - the man is entitled to a degree of privacy - but I do have concerns. I hope I'm wrong, but I do worry for him.

I think, for the most part, as a person ages and body parts don't seem to want to work as well as they did when younger, certain people get a penchant for certain infections that crop up every now and then. Its called a chronic condition. Diabetics have to physically keep tabs on their pancreas and even have an insulin routine and sometimes need hospitalization to assure that the treatment is working as its supposed to or maybe even changed.

I imagine that its the same with the DoE. Maybe he suffers from occasional bouts of gout that flares up every now and then and the hospital is to assure that the treatment being prescribed not only helps with the infection but that the treatment itself doesn't have to be modified or changed as the body changes.

These are made up examples. It happens with pre existing conditions so maybe if we look into what Philip's previous problems have been (if they're known), we'd get a clue of what was going on.

Although the statement 'pre-existing condition' worries me a bit as well, I suppose nobody can expect perfect health at 96. I'm very glad to see that he is now relaxing at home. Perhaps the carriage ride at Ascot jolted him up a bit?

We have to be realistic peeps! Not every member of the RF may aspire to reaching the age of the QM! Hopefully but no guarentees. Dispite the age difference, this is an old couple, who hopefully, health a factor of course, will continue to be with us for years to come.

We have to be realistic peeps! Not every member of the RF may aspire to reaching the age of the QM! Hopefully but no guarentees. Dispite the age difference, this is an old couple, who hopefully, health a factor of course, will continue to be with us for years to come.

1. As I said in post 278. The few people who constantly complain about that Her Majesty looks frail don't know (according to me) what they are talking about.

She has some problems with her knees and is a bit bent over, but she still walks quite fast when she has to, as we have seen on 3 occasions lately.

The Queen Mother did about 50 engagements a year at the age of 100, and that despite the fact that she fell and injured herself all the time and therefore was very frail from 93 to 101.

If the Queen manages to keep herself on her feet and avoids falling, then I think she can keep going and do what she's doing now for at least 5 years.

If she is still well after the Platinum Jubilee, then I think she can keep going with around 100-150 engagements a year until she is weakened and eventually dies after a short illness. That's what the palace (according to the The Guardian) sees as most likely.

So yes, I expect HM to be with us for years to come. But she's 91 and things can happen very fast at that age.

2. Philip is 96 years old (almost 100) and has had some health problems and 6 hospital stays since 2008. So things can happen at any time now.

Last edited:
I'm not a regular visitor here, so I dont know if it has been discussed somethread else, but seing the recent pics of HM and the DoE from today, there is one question that pops up...
Should he really still drive?? Or she?
Its btw the first time I saw him with glasses.

I'm not a regular visitor here, so I dont know if it has been discussed somethread else, but seing the recent pics of HM and the DoE from today, there is one question that pops up...
Should he really still drive?? Or she?
Its btw the first time I saw him with glasses.

I think they both only drive while on the grounds of places like Windsor or Balmoral so probably not a huge problem.

I think they both only drive while on the grounds of places like Windsor or Balmoral so probably not a huge problem.
It was written he drove her to some Polo Match Ground. So probs not on their private ground if I am right?

The Guards Polo Club is in Windsor Great Park, which the general public can't drive in, although the polo club's website says that visitors can buy vehicle passes.

Last edited:
Its also where the Queen is often photographed riding. If I'm not mistaken, its owned by the Crown Estates.

It's pretty well known that none of the royals wear seat belts in the State cars.
Nor does other monarchs, presidents or prime ministers. And I for one didn't find it amusing when our beloved amazing 91 year old Queen was reported to the police - I actually became quite angry.

Last edited:
I would imagine it was a pretty perplexed dispatcher that had to handle that 999 call and usually someone on that job is ready to handle just about anything with calm and common sense.

Dispatcher: What is your emergency?
Caller: The Queen is breaking the law.
Dispatcher: The Queen? Which queen do you refer to sir?
Caller: Queen Elizabeth
Dispatcher: Her Majesty the Queen is breaking the law? How sir? What is the emergency?
Caller: She isn't wearing a seat belt.
Dispatcher: Your concerns have been noted. Thank you for calling.
(the call most certainly had been recorded and entered into the call log)

I can imagine by then the dispatcher is about ready to call the men with the pretty white coats and butterfly nets but that's not protocol. All calls should be handled seriously.

Now if only that was the only kind of "999" calls that the UK had to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom