The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 06:55 AM
Royal Highness

I also feel that it to do with the expense. The royal family cannot been seen to be senselessly spending money especially with the prospects of a deeper recession on the brink. I expect that all celebrations for the Duke of Edinburgh's and Queen 's Birthdays will be similarly downscaled.

Old 01-07-2021, 03:43 PM
Serene Highness

As part of #ClapforHeroes and #ClapforCarers, the Royal Family social media account has release a message from The Queen's recent Christmas broadcast.
The Royal Family @RoyalFamily
The Queen’s words from her recent Christmas Broadcast.
Thank you to everyone who continues to play a part to help others during the pandemic, from NHS staff and key workers to those helping friends and neighbours during this difficult time.
#ClapforHeroes
6:59 AM · Jan 8, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...71755744899073

Old 01-07-2021, 07:33 PM
Nobility

Without the garden parties this year the Queen ought to be able to save some money on the Civil List which is good. The British public complain about the cost of the monarchy.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There is no civil list anymore. It's been replaced by the Sovereign Grant (see the wealth and finances thread that explains this more). Still, you're right. It'll save money spent. Buckingham Palace is also going under renovations so I imagine that the Queen will be spending much more time at Windsor at least for a while.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

No money will be saved as the Sovereign Grant is set as a percentage of the income of the Crown Estate but it can't drop below the previous year either. It makes no difference whether the money is spent or not the Sovereign Grant is fixed and will be given to The Queen to use as she sees fit.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks for the correction on that. Perhaps I'd have been more correct to say that saving money with not having garden parties and events that are similar would free up monies to be used elsewhere.

I do, though, expect the Queen to reside mostly at Windsor. I think she's happier there as there's a lot of area surrounding Windsor Castle to ride her Fell pony.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:34 AM
Serene Highness

I'm not surprised by the cancellation of this year's garden party. Perhaps (wishful thinking), the 2022's would be greater given that it's also The Queen's Platinum Jubilee.

But then again it all depends on the COVID-19 situation.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:18 AM
Serene Highness

The Queen and Prince Philip have received their first doses of the vaccine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55602007
Old 01-09-2021, 10:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post

My parents and my brother in law got their first dose on the 7th. So far no problems. Hopefully the same happens with the queen and prince philip.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm glad they've had the vaccine and also that they have announced it. Really they had no choice, if they hadn't released it there would have been all sorts of speculation as to why etc. Also they seem to have been vaccinated at a good time - not to soon near the start for there to be accusations of special treatment not to late that they are left vulnerable.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

I got my vaccine on Wednesday and the first day my arm was terribly sore.
I hope the 2 have their paracetamol near for the terrible arm pain that usually accompanies the vaccine.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:47 AM
Nobility

I’m glas thats its been announced, hopefully encourages everyone to have it, though I’m not sure there are many refuseniks amongst older people. I don’t think anyone would begrudge them having it either, they are quite old and entitled to it.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post

Glad to hear it!
Old 01-09-2021, 02:43 PM
Courtier

I am glad the Queen and Prince Philip received their first vaccine. Hope everyone who need it get it on time. Hope the UK's vaccination program is better organized than here. A lot of the vaccine here had to be destroyed, because of very bad planning, and the people are the ones who are paying the prize for it. Here if people in need but are not in the age group are given the vaccine, hospitals are getting big fines, but it seems to be OK, if it has to be disposed off, because it is passed the expiration date. So much bad planning gives me a migraine.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's been on the major news channels here that the Queen and DoE have been vaccinated. That's good to hear.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:24 PM
Serene Highness

Chris Ship has written an article on why The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh decided their vaccine injection to the public.

Covid: Why did the Queen decide to share her vaccine injection with the world?
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-09/...with-the-world
Old 01-09-2021, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Good to hear that HM and Philip have had the vaccine. At the age they are, they're in the at risk category.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-09-2021, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I think some people are afraid. Seeing the Queen and the Prince having it will reassure them.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I'm glad they've had the vaccine and also that they have announced it. Really they had no choice, if they hadn't released it there would have been all sorts of speculation as to why etc. Also they seem to have been vaccinated at a good time - not to soon near the start for there to be accusations of special treatment not to late that they are left vulnerable.

I know everyone here hates it but I've read it for about 20 years. In the comments section of the Daily Mail people were sniping that if the vaccine was so safe why wasn't the queen getting it? So I'm glad that she did.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

I believe it was said before they would make it known when they had the shot.

It makes sense Elizabeth would let the public know. From day one of her reign she has made it a point to be 'an example to her people'. Having the vaccine is a good way for her to encourage others to do the same.

Sadly there are too many people who won't listen to the doctors. They will only do things if they see people they admire doing it first.

Sore arm but nothing else to complain about from mine.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of edinburgh, general news, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii