General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a terrible news to hear about Captain Sir Tim Moore's passing. He will be remembered not just his services during WWII, but also his fundraising for NHS. Rest in Peace Captain Sir Tom.

"The Queen is sending a private message of condolence to the family of Captain Sir Tom Moore.

Her Majesty very much enjoyed meeting Captain Sir Tom and his family at Windsor last year. Her thoughts and those of the Royal Family are with them"

I may be wrong but I have the impression Buckingham Palace does almost never share the Queen's feeling on someone she met. Would she be moved by Captain Tom much more than by other deaths ? Something like the feeling that, with Sir Tom Moore, one more member of her generation and the horrific events they went through is disappearing and very few are still alive, the feeling that the time she is/was part of is nearly gone for ever ?

Last edited:
I've been following Sir Tom Moore on the Mail Online since he started his walks. I'm sorry this happened to him.

One thing that makes me smile is that the news of Sir Tom Moore's death was posted in "Famous People Who Have Died in 2021" thread. That's where I posted my feelings about it and didn't want to cross post. He sure made his mark on our world didn't he? ?

Hannah Ingram-Moore, daughter of Captain Sir Tom Moore spoke to BBC Breakfast. There was a small segment on The Queen including Mrs. Ingram-Moore receiving a letter from The Queen after her father's death. She also spoken about his pride in meeting The Queen as his highlight moment "of a remarkable year".

She also spoke of his pride at meeting the Queen when he was awarded a knighthood in July - his "standout" moment of a remarkable year.

"Alongside so many incredible things, it seems a little harsh on all the other things, but there is only one, and that was meeting the Queen," said Mrs Ingram-Moore.

"And she said thank you, and recognised what the family had done. We can never undo that, nothing can ever undo that."

The Queen led tributes to Capt Sir Tom when his death was announced.

"We had a lovely letter from her and I think she felt genuine loss - it's another one of her generation," Mrs Ingram-Moore said.

Captain Sir Tom Moore: 'Horrific' trolling hidden from Army veteran
Captain Sir Tom Moore's family shielded him from "pretty horrific" internet trolling that would have "broken his heart", his daughter said.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-56085814

That was really lovely of his daughter to share those memories of her late fathers meeting with the queen.

The Queen has invited Park Lane Stable volunteers to visit the Royal Mews, after their fundraising campaign to save the stable, which was threatened with closure in May. The Park Lane Stable on Teddington supports Riding for The Disabled. They raised over £1.3million in just fifty six days.

Queen’s Royal invitation for Park Lane Stables Volunteers
https://teddington.nub.news/n/park-lane-stables-volunteers-invited-to-buckingham-palace-by-the-queen

Queen invites volunteers to Royal Mews after £1m campaign to save stables
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...es/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_iosshare_Aww7RPJp8TQD

Park Lane Stable Manager Natalie O’Rourke and volunteer Bess Limmer appeared on BBC Breakfast on how the invite was the "icing on the cake" after reaching the fundraising target.
BBC Breakfast @BBCBreakfast
“They do all the very unglamorous jobs, it’s a fairytale”
Park Lane stables manager Natalie tells #BBCBreakfast it’s the ‘icing on the cake’ that young volunteers have been invited to Buckingham Palace after reaching their fundraising target.
https://bbc.in/2ZO02jR
10:20 PM · Feb 27, 2021·Twitter Media Studio​

General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip Part 2: March 2017

The Royal Mint is marking Her Majesty The Queen’s 95th Birthday this year by commissioning two new design with the inscription ‘My Heart and My Devotion’, referencing a promise The Queen made in her 1957 Christmas.

The Royal Mint @RoyalMintUK
As the original maker of every official United Kingdom coin of Her Majesty The Queen’s reign, we’re delighted to be marking her 95th birthday with a new coin collection celebrating 95 years of heart and devotion: http://ow.ly/hC2H50DKKux
@RoyalFamily #TheQueen​
https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalMintUK/status/1366312302539120640

95 Years of Heart and Devotion
https://www.royalmint.com/our-coin..._content=collect&utm_campaign=2021-03-com-q95

Last edited:
Some light hearted or even silly news. Two days ago on 15th March, Police Scotland has tweeted out that HMS Queen Elizabeth is visiting Glen Mallan and some restriction on aircrafts. A twitter user (who was described as a Scottish Nationalist by the Daily Mail) mistaken the navy ship to Her Majesty The Queen and responded with a bit of frustration on why she is allowed to visit during the pandemic. UK Defence Journal then replied by asking the question "Are you a 65,000 tonne Royal Navy aircraft carrier?" ?

UK Government's announcement on the arrival of HMS Queen Elizabeth at Glen Mallan: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hms-queen-elizabeth-visits-scotland-for-the-first-time

Picture of the twitter conversation: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwhdNv1WYAM5rR6?format=jpg&name=large

The Daily Mail and other publications have picked up the story.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...raft-carrier-HMS-Queen-Elizabeth-monarch.html

The twitter use has now deleted the tweet, but it's too late for people to take screenshots. The UK Defence Journal even took a screenshot :cool:

Tweet by Police Scotland (part of a chain):
Police Scotland @policescotland
Please be advised that for the duration that HMS Queen Elizabeth is visiting Glen Mallan, no aircraft are allowed to fly within 3 nautical miles of the ship and below 6,000 feet within the 3 nautical mile radius.
10:00 PM · Mar 15, 2021·Hootsuite Inc.​

Response tweet by UK Defence Journal
UK Defence Journal @UKDefJournal
Replying to @AKerryNewton and @policescotland
Are you a 65,000 tonne Royal Navy aircraft carrier?
10:56 PM · Mar 15, 2021·Twitter Web App​

UK Defence Journal @UKDefJournal
Replying to @UKDefJournal @AKerryNewton and @policescotland
For clarity, this is the tweet we were replying to that has now been deleted.
4:52 AM · Mar 16, 2021·Twitter for Android​

Such news are a much needed lighthearted relief. Are you a 65,000 tonne Royal Navy aircraft carrier indeed?

Now *that* gave me a chuckle or three. :lol:

I bet HM Queen Elizabeth had a very lady-like snicker. [emoji4] If you are going to take a cheap shot at the BRF, HM in particular, it behooves you have to be "on target" so to speak. This guy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door let alone a 65,000 tonne Aircraft Carrier. [emoji1787]

Another silly news, this time from the BBC Breakfast's interview with Robert Jenrick (Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government). Charlie Stayt and Naga Munchetty were the hosts of BBC Breakfast.

At the end of the interview before Jenrick's camera turns off/pans away, Charlie Stayt joked about the size of Jenrick's Union Jack in the office of Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Govt (MHCLG) compared to the Down Street Media/Press Briefing's. Jenrick laughed and smiled along with the two hosts. As camera turned back to the BBC studio, Charlie Stayt first said "just a thought". Naga Munchetty then commented on the picture of The Queen in MHCLG's office (in which Jenrick was in doing the interview). Stayt and Munchetty then mentioned that there is always an Union Jack in the Cabinet Minister's Office (in some cases The Queen's portrait) and these politicians are not afraid to show it in interview.

Brief video of the BBC interview:
Haggis_UK [Flag of United Kingdom] [Flag of European Union] @Haggis_UK
Charlie Stayt - "Robert Jenrick, your flag is just a little bit small." [Smiling face with smiling eyes]
#BBCBreakfast
6:48 PM · Mar 18, 2021·Twitter for Android​

There were some outrage and has been picked by some papers. I assumed it's almost reminiscent to the Emily Thornberry's (the then Shadow Attorney General) tweet of "Image from Rochester" with picture the white coloured van in front of a house with three St. George flags. Emily Thornberry at that time was perceived to be "snobbish" and "sneering". The BBC was also accused of breaking impartiality rules. Oliver Dowden, Cultural Secretary told the Telegraph that BBC must respect values of the whole UK.

Outcry after 'sneering' BBC presenters mock minister over Union flag
Culture Secretary hits back at Charlie Stayt and Naga Munchetty’s comments, telling Telegraph BBC must respect values of whole UK
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/18/outcry-sneering-bbc-presenters-mock-minister-union-flag/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nline-mocking-Robert-Jenricks-Union-flag.html

The next day Robert Jenrick tweeted out that the MHCLG office is proud to fly the British flag and attached a picture of the Union Jack, Portrait of the Queen, sofas and red box (Ministerial dispatch box) with EIIR monogram in his department office.
Robert Jenrick @RobertJenrick
We’re always proud to fly the Union Flag at @mhclg
It’s a symbol of liberty and freedom that binds the whole country together.
5:14 AM · Mar 19, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

Naga Munchetty then apologise for liking tweets that were offensive on the use of British flag
Naga Munchetty @TVNaga01
I 'liked' tweets today that were offensive in nature about the use of the British flag as a backdrop in a government interview this morning.
I have since removed these 'likes'.
This do not represent the views of me or the BBC.
I apologise for any offence taken.
Naga
6:28 AM · Mar 19, 2021·Twitter for Android​

I personally think the whole "saga" is just silly and provided more ammunition to the Defund the BBC campaign. I'm not questioning the right of Charlie Stayt and Naga Munchetty in making these comments, but what is their purpose exactly? The Union Jack and picture of the Queen are not even in Jenrick's home, there are from his office, more specifically Her Majesty's Governments office (hence the portrait of The Queen). He probably has little input on how to arrange the MHCLG office for media interview or online conference. I don't even understand the outrage either, given that Jenrick just laughed it off at the end of his interview.

Even a royal watcher and royal family fan has posted this saga/incident on instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMk0x-0nxYK/

Another silly news, this time from the BBC Breakfast's interview with Robert Jenrick (Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government). Charlie Stayt and Naga Munchetty were the hosts of BBC Breakfast.

I personally think the whole "saga" is just silly and provided more ammunition to the Defund the BBC campaign. I'm not questioning the right of Charlie Stayt and Naga Munchetty in making these comments, but what is their purpose exactly? The Union Jack and picture of the Queen are not even in Jenrick's home, there are from his office, more specifically Her Majesty's Governments office (hence the portrait of The Queen). He probably has little input on how to arrange the MHCLG office for media interview or online conference. I don't even understand the outrage either, given that Jenrick just laughed it off at the end of his interview.

Even a royal watcher and royal family fan has posted this saga/incident on instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMk0x-0nxYK/

The point is the BBC is a publicly funded body and they were mocking the Union Jack and the photograph of HM.
As journalists they should know that all government buildings have the flag and photographs of the queen.

How was that balanced journalism, Naga Munchetty has shown her personal thoughts on many an occasion, that is not her role.
I think everybody is trying to be the new Piers Morgan.

Queen Elizabeth has sent a message to the people of Tanzania following the death of President John Magufuli:

"Prince Philip and I were saddened to learn of the death of President John Magufuli. I wish to convey my condolences to his loved ones and my deepest sympathy to the people of Tanzania." - Elizabeth R.
I apologize if this is in the wrong place but I really have to ask...has anyone watched the video of the virtual meeting today that included HM and the DoC? When I watched it the first time and saw all of the participants in their own little boxes I really noticed only the warm "Good morning, Camilla" and little chat between the two. However, I've just watched another video of it that alternated between close ups of the two along with photographs and it very much appears that HM either has something in her front bottom teeth or has a missing/cracked tooth. :ohmy: I've never noticed it before and even watched twice to be sure I wasn't seeing things. Did anyone else notice this? Please tell me that I haven't just been totally oblivious to this for ages?

I apologize if this is in the wrong place but I really have to ask...has anyone watched the video of the virtual meeting today that included HM and the DoC? When I watched it the first time and saw all of the participants in their own little boxes I really noticed only the warm "Good morning, Camilla" and little chat between the two. However, I've just watched another video of it that alternated between close ups of the two along with photographs and it very much appears that HM either has something in her front bottom teeth or has a missing/cracked tooth. :ohmy: I've never noticed it before and even watched twice to be sure I wasn't seeing things. Did anyone else notice this? Please tell me that I haven't just been totally oblivious to this for ages?

I have noticed this before I cannot remember the first time I saw it but it has been quite a while.

I have noticed this before I cannot remember the first time I saw it but it has been quite a while.

Although with the pandemic, it's possible to have zoom calls and appear perfectly made up and dressed to the nines, what we don't see is the 10 year old sweats and bunny slippers from the waist down. What the downside is that those close ups really show things we'd rather people not see. Makes me really understand why I hate it when hubby is on a video call and he'll direct the camera at me in all my bedhead glory and no makeup or even my dentures in. I tell him time and time again when he does that that the next time, his phone will end up in the toilet but I've really not had the nerve to actually act on that yet. Usually I'm in the middle of writing a post though too. :lol:

I have noticed this tooth for quite a long time, and I think its just a misplaced tooth. You know, he leans a bit forward or inwards, I dont know how to describe.

Her Majesty The Queen has sent a special delivery of British grown daffodils to St. George's University Hospital (NHS) to staffs and patients. Reverend Chris van D’Arque, who is pictured, and his team took the delivery.
St George's NHS FT @StGeorgesTrust
A big thank you to @RoyalFamily for the special delivery of daffodils to St George’s today. Reverend Chris van D’Arque and team took delivery of the flowers, which will be appreciated by patients and staff!
11:15 PM · Mar 30, 2021·Twitter Web App​

What a lovely gesture! How heart cheering for those who are receiving these little bundles of daffodils.

What a wonderful pre Easter gift for the staff and patients at St. George's University Hospital.

This is absolutely wonderful...HM and Philip look so young and beautiful (and he looks thin as a rail)....

Unseen footage of the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh captured during a break on their 1953 tour to New Zealand����It will be shown tonight as part of the @ITV documentary The Queen Unseen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom