The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 03:45 PM

When does the Queen usually return from Balmoral?

Old 09-09-2020, 04:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice1 View Post
When does the Queen usually return from Balmoral?
Early October she would normally relocate from Balmoral to Windsor (which is why Eugenie's wedding was held at the date it was - she had to wait for the queen to return from Scotland).

She stays there (with intermittent trips to Buckingham Palace) until just before Christmas: after the Christmas lunch and before Christmas Evening she relocates to Sandringham.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Early October she would normally relocate from Balmoral to Windsor (which is why Eugenie's wedding was held at the date it was - she had to wait for the queen to return from Scotland).

She stays there (with intermittent trips to Buckingham Palace) until just before Christmas: after the Christmas lunch and before Christmas Evening she relocates to Sandringham.
In "normal" years, HM returns from Balmoral to BP in early October. The week is typically spent in London, and the weekends at Windsor.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
In "normal" years, HM returns from Balmoral to BP in early October. The week is typically spent in London, and the weekends at Windsor.
By now, the 'week in London' is rather short and the weekends in Windsor are rather long... So, in practice she mostly spends her nights in Windsor.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
By now, the 'week in London' is rather short and the weekends in Windsor are rather long... So, in practice she mostly spends her nights in Windsor.
I suspect that in normal times now, she goes to Windsor most nights when her work is done. It is not that far and she's spending more and more of ehr time there and I am sure she prefers it to London
Old 09-10-2020, 09:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
What seems remarkable to me is realizing the fact that most people that have been able to reach the age of 94 have already been riding off into the sunset for at least a quarter of a century already. The Queen still keeps a very active lifestyle and doesn't flinch when it comes to keeping up with her duties and responsibilities. Taking it "easy" and slowing down is a very gradual thing for her. Simply amazing in my book.

I do think she's most comfortable at Windsor when she's in working mode. Most people would have chosen to retire to their favorite place to be years before reaching 94.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
What seems remarkable to me is realizing the fact that most people that have been able to reach the age of 94 have already been riding off into the sunset for at least a quarter of a century already. The Queen still keeps a very active lifestyle and doesn't flinch when it comes to keeping up with her duties and responsibilities. Taking it "easy" and slowing down is a very gradual thing for her. Simply amazing in my book.

I do think she's most comfortable at Windsor when she's in working mode. Most people would have chosen to retire to their favorite place to be years before reaching 94.

From what I've read she feels she vowed to be Queen for the whole of her life and will never step aside. She will give the others more of her duties while she is alive but she won't quit.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Or, a republican could argue, that the job is so easy that even a 94-year old can do it
Old 09-11-2020, 01:45 AM
Majesty

I thought she was due to be based at Windsor as a result of the extensive renovations reaching her private neck of the woods in BP.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:45 AM
Serene Highness

According to my paper yesterday, they're leaving Balmoral early so that it can be opened up for tourist visits. Not even the Queen is exempt from the financial problems caused by this horrible virus, and the fall off in numbers of people visiting the royal palaces - they were closed for months, and now only limited numbers of people can visit, and very few overseas tourists are coming due to the quarantine rules - has left a big hole in the royal finances. You can just see the headlines if the Queen claimed money from the state furlough scheme to pay staff who'd have to be laid off - which I'm sure she wouldn't dream of doing - and they need to get some money in. It's only newspaper speculation, but it makes sense.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:48 AM
Serene Highness

More news today - part of the Sandringham Estate is going to be used as a drive-in cinema! The royal coffers obviously really need filling!
Old 09-11-2020, 07:50 AM
Majesty

I imagine that Buck Palace hasn't been able to open or has been restritced in its open times this during the summer this year so they probably do need revenues. I think other RF's are in the same boat but to a greater extent and are concerned that they have lost revenue which they use for the upkeep of their palaces... because tourism has all but ground to a halt.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:24 AM
Royal Highness

I saw that advertised a week or so ago, along with a planned "Christmas Market" and other activities which I assume might not go ahead now.

I suspect they do need revenue, as all these tourist attractions are finding the pot empty at the moment. But if you've got the space it's a nice idea to arrange something like this.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen and Prince Philip leaves Balmoral Castle today 16 September

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-Balmoral.html

https://editorial01.shutterstock.com...-10778757a.jpg
https://editorial01.shutterstock.com...-10778757b.jpg
Old 09-16-2020, 01:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
How annoying, that the press decide to portray that Prince Philip is being 'forced' to spend time with The Queen at Windsor, rather than being allowed to stay at Wood Farm, Sandringham without her!
There are so many more positive angles that they could take, such as that 2 nonagenarians, who have devoted their lives to public service, now have the opportunity to spend more time together
Grrrr!
Old 09-16-2020, 02:19 PM
Majesty

In their age every day together is a gift from God
Old 09-16-2020, 02:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The beauty of the situation of people being married so long as the Queen and the DoE have been, even when they're apart somewhere, they're still as close and intimate as if they were in the same room. This is a happily married couple that don't need to be in each other's back pockets and they know each other so well that whether or not they're together, they *know* each other well enough that it makes them happy that the other is content no matter where they may be.

Love is allowing the other person to become the best possible person that they can be and Elizabeth and Philip exemplifies this to the nth degree.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh leave Balmoral for the Sandringham Estate.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...notificaciones
Old 09-16-2020, 03:13 PM
Courtier

It was nice to see Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip being driven out of Balmoral together, waving; dorgies in the back of the wagon. I'm having trouble keeping up with this pair
It's my understanding they have left Balmoral early for it to be ready to open for (holiday?) visitors. Given tourism has ground to a snail's pace due to covid, hopefully that continues to be true. My question is why not back to Windsor? Could the two week stop off to Sandringham be an opportunity for Prince Philip to spend some time at his Wood Farm on the estate, as the article mentions a compromise. Then they bubble back to Windsor until Christmas holiday. Impressive, really.

I've just read above Hello article, it seems "the finalization of the autumn program" is still under review. That's interesting.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder if its a chance to shrink the "support bubble" around them for a bit before a staffing change? I can't see them needing the same number of staff at Wood Farm as they would at Balmoral and there certainly isn't room for them all to stay in Wood Farm.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of edinburgh, general news, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii