General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip 2: March 2017 - April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not quite sure if this post belongs to British Royal Christmas 2008-2020 or this General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip Part 2 thread. Channel 4 has released short video on twitter previewing the annual alternative Christmas message. Apparently, Channel 4 used "digitally created doppelgänger" and "Deepfake technology". The intention was "to give a "stark warning" about fake news in the digital age".

There has been backlash, particularly from those who wants to defund state-owned/tax-payer founded broadcasting corporations (including Channel 4, commercially funded, but government owned). Even Nicholas Witchell, the BBC's royal correspondent is not impressed.

The BBC's royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell was not impressed: "There have been countless imitations of the Queen. This isn't a particularly good one.

"The voice sounds what it is - a rather poor attempt to impersonate her. What makes it troubling is the use of video technology to attempt to sync her lips to the words being spoken."

"The Alternative Christmas Message will be shown on Channel 4 at 15:25 GMT on 25 December."

Deepfake queen to deliver Channel 4 Christmas message
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55424730

The Telegraph has picked up the backlash and controversy.

'Deepfake' Queen's Speech: Channel 4 criticised for 'disrespectful' Christmas message
With jokes about Harry, Meghan, Prince Andrew, and the PM, the broadcaster claims it's a 'stark warning about misinformation and fake news'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...channel-4-criticised-disrespectful-christmas/

I'm not impressed with this. There's always some stupid alternative speech, but it's usually given by some minor celebrity and isn't offensive. This isn't appropriate at all.

It seems its probably a publicity stunt from Channel 4. Even if this was a genuine attempt to "warn" people about fake news I'm not sure the Queen is an appropriate subject, given that she only makes speeches on rare occasions and the Christmas Message is the *only* one she writes herself.

The BRF is the subject of a lot of "fake news" and some papers/media (including Channel 4 sometimes) cover the latest "scandal"/scandal obsessively rather than focusing on more important things and it's difficult for them to fight back sometimes.

If they wanted to make a point surely the PM would be a better target or some else. I guess Boris isn't shocking enough so they'll "make" HM talk about Andrew and Harry & Meghan, one of which is serious the other the definition of a tempest in a tea cup/obsessiveness over trivial news (and I include myself in that).

Oh well guess they felt they needed to go bigger than John Bercow or Russell Brand this year.

I personally think Channel 4 is reinforcing its political bias (see the panel/audience or comedians' reaction to the 2019 election's exit poll) and actually helping the campaign to privatise or sell Channel 4 itself. I do wonder if they think the alternative Christmas message is going to "edgy, rebellious" or generate reaction like Sex Pistol's God Save the Queen in 1977. Except, society has changed dramatically since the 1970s, currently with COVID-19 and The Queen herself has reigned for 68 years. During the pandemic, The Royal Family has been perceived to "lift the spirit of the nation". Perhaps this is the main reason of the outrage.

I really miss the RF on their way to and from Church Christmas Day, as every year not this year. The people being lined up to greet them, this year we will not see anyone. If we buckle under this Pandemic has won, no chance in hell, keep on fighting and your spirits up. Merry Christmas every one.

:previous:
What a great way to commemorate The Queen's 95th Birthday by the Royal Mint! She definitely put her heart and devotion to her Nation and the Commonwealth.

The £5 coin looks great as well. ?

I love it! I can't wait to go back to the UK and get that coin for a keepsake!

I also love that they are honoring Sir Walter Scott and H.G. Wells........

Queen Elizabeth has sent a message to mark the 75th year of BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour:

** Message **

Necessary, I suppose, but what a shame. The virus continues to take so much from us...

While the garden parties do take place outdoors, I don't believe that they could maintain the necessary social distancing when such large groups are expected. Adding additional days to reduce the numbers would likely interfere with the other scheduled events.

It's just impossible to plan anything at the moment. There's already talk of cancelling the summer music festivals, which take place in July and August. Hopefully, things will be better by then, but the planning needs to start now and it just can't be done :-( .

I understand that it is necessary to cancel everything. Hope people get the vaccine and maybe we get back to normal, what ever that is. It seems the only highlight we can expect are the babies being born and there are a few. Well a nother boring year for Royal watchers. Well we have January maybe by June or so it will be a nightmare passed. I at least hope so. For some people this isolation must be hell at least for children and seniors. Some people rise above themselves, While others not, the latter is scary.

I read somewhere that it was getting time to commit to contractors - catering and marquees etc and with England in lockdown until 'at least the end of February' I guess it makes sense to cancel now. If things improve drastically by the summer they can plan smaller events outside at some point.

I also feel that it to do with the expense. The royal family cannot been seen to be senselessly spending money especially with the prospects of a deeper recession on the brink. I expect that all celebrations for the Duke of Edinburgh's and Queen 's Birthdays will be similarly downscaled.

Last edited:
As part of #ClapforHeroes and #ClapforCarers, the Royal Family social media account has release a message from The Queen's recent Christmas broadcast.
The Royal Family @RoyalFamily
The Queen’s words from her recent Christmas Broadcast.
Thank you to everyone who continues to play a part to help others during the pandemic, from NHS staff and key workers to those helping friends and neighbours during this difficult time.
#ClapforHeroes
6:59 AM · Jan 8, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

Without the garden parties this year the Queen ought to be able to save some money on the Civil List which is good. The British public complain about the cost of the monarchy.

There is no civil list anymore. It's been replaced by the Sovereign Grant (see the wealth and finances thread that explains this more). Still, you're right. It'll save money spent. Buckingham Palace is also going under renovations so I imagine that the Queen will be spending much more time at Windsor at least for a while.

No money will be saved as the Sovereign Grant is set as a percentage of the income of the Crown Estate but it can't drop below the previous year either. It makes no difference whether the money is spent or not the Sovereign Grant is fixed and will be given to The Queen to use as she sees fit.

Thanks for the correction on that. Perhaps I'd have been more correct to say that saving money with not having garden parties and events that are similar would free up monies to be used elsewhere. ?

I do, though, expect the Queen to reside mostly at Windsor. I think she's happier there as there's a lot of area surrounding Windsor Castle to ride her Fell pony.

I'm not surprised by the cancellation of this year's garden party. Perhaps (wishful thinking), the 2022's would be greater given that it's also The Queen's Platinum Jubilee. ;)

But then again it all depends on the COVID-19 situation.

I'm glad they've had the vaccine and also that they have announced it. Really they had no choice, if they hadn't released it there would have been all sorts of speculation as to why etc. Also they seem to have been vaccinated at a good time - not to soon near the start for there to be accusations of special treatment not to late that they are left vulnerable.

I got my vaccine on Wednesday and the first day my arm was terribly sore.
I hope the 2 have their paracetamol near for the terrible arm pain that usually accompanies the vaccine.

I’m glas thats its been announced, hopefully encourages everyone to have it, though I’m not sure there are many refuseniks amongst older people. I don’t think anyone would begrudge them having it either, they are quite old and entitled to it.

I am glad the Queen and Prince Philip received their first vaccine. Hope everyone who need it get it on time. Hope the UK's vaccination program is better organized than here. A lot of the vaccine here had to be destroyed, because of very bad planning, and the people are the ones who are paying the prize for it. Here if people in need but are not in the age group are given the vaccine, hospitals are getting big fines, but it seems to be OK, if it has to be disposed off, because it is passed the expiration date. So much bad planning gives me a migraine.

It's been on the major news channels here that the Queen and DoE have been vaccinated. That's good to hear. ?

Good to hear that HM and Philip have had the vaccine. At the age they are, they're in the at risk category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom