General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see peers in Banqueting House, Whitehall

Read more: Queen to become first monarch to reach Sapphire Jubilee - without the fanfare « Express & Star
The Queen is to make history when she becomes the first British monarch to reach their Sapphire Jubilee.

On February 6 - the anniversary of the day she became Queen - Elizabeth II will have reigned for 65 years.

But there are no grand festivities planned to mark the head-of-state's new milestone.

The Queen is, at this stage, not due to be out and about on official engagements on the landmark day.

The sovereign, who missed church over Christmas due to a heavy cold, will undoubtedly be matter of fact about this historic occasion.

In 2015, when she thanked the nation for its kind messages after overtaking Queen Victoria to become the longest-reigning monarch in British history, she admitted bluntly that the royal record was ''not one to which I have ever aspired''.

She added: "Inevitably, a long life can pass by many milestones. My own is no exception."

The Queen celebrated her 90th birthday last year and had a busy schedule commemorating the occasion, with a walkabout, beacon lighting and a black tie dinner for family and friends in Windsor on her actual birthday.

A weekend of national celebrations, including a party on The Mall, was held for her official birthday in June.

It is likely that any large-scale jubilee celebrations will be reserved for the Platinum Jubilee in 2022 - although any events will take into account the fact that Queen is due to turn 96 that year.

Royal Mint marks Queen's Jubilee with range of coins | Daily Mail Online

Video:
Royal Mint casts coins to mark Queen's Sapphire Jubilee

Some quotes from this long article - read more: Commemorative £5 coin shifts crown around for first time so Blue Sapphire stone can be seen on Royal Mint's new range of Jubilee coins
The Queen’s record-breaking reign is to be marked with a new £5 coin which shifts the crown around for the first time to make the monarch’s Blue Sapphire stone visible.

The Royal Mint has commissioned a range of specially designed Sapphire Jubilee commemorative coins to mark the 65th anniversary of the Queen's accession to the throne.

The milestone - which falls on February 6 and is a first for a British monarch - has seen coins struck in a range of metals and denominations from £5, £10 and £500 to £1,000.

All the coins feature the Queen's image in profile on the main side but the £5 range has the imperial state crown on the reverse, and an excerpt from Princess Elizabeth's famous speech where she dedicated herself to her future role as Queen.

It reads: "My whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service."

Glyn Davies, designer of the £5 range, said: "I drew inspiration from the regalia associated with the Queen's coronation.

"As opposed to many traditional designs, I've rotated the crown to make a feature of the Stuart sapphire.

"I have also included a quotation from Her Majesty's 21st birthday speech, which makes the design more personal. I used computer-aided design to create the inscription, but sculpted elements of the crown in clay."

Former BBC royal correspondent Jennie Bond was present at the Royal Mint when the Sapphire Jubilee collection was struck.

Commenting on the edge lettering on the precious metal £5 coins, the broadcaster said: "I particularly love the inscription around this coin. It reads 'shine through the ages' - taken from the Queen's coronation speech.

"She was talking about how the ancient ceremonies shine through the ages of course, but for us, I think this also reflects how the Queen herself has shone, and continues to shine, throughout her wonderful long reign".

Last edited:
Sometimes things don't go just how you'd like them to.

Over the years, whenever The Queen was visiting somewhere, things would be spruced up.

For example, in Launceston, in Tasmania, there is still a part of a road that is concrete - instead of ashphalt/bitumen - as Her Majesty was to travel on that little section.

And, as another example, perhaps you've read of how bedsheets are ironed on the bed that The Queen will sleep in.

Everyone wants to make the best impression on the Sovereign.

However, I was recently told of something that certainly made an impression on The Queen.

Years ago, one of the Government Houses here in Australia was a little run-down and the wife of the then Governor of that state was hostess to the Royal guests.

She has told - in a speech - how at one point a lady-in-waiting came running to her.

What had happened?

Her Majesty was taking a shower - and the shower-head had fallen off.

And not only had it fallen off - it had hit The Queen in the head as it did so!

Well, things go wrong for us all I guess.

Thanks for this interesting post, Sun Lion!

65 years of Her Majesty’s reign in pictures: Part 2 – Royal Central
On 6 February Queen Elizabeth will be celebrating her Sapphire Jubilee as she reigns for 65 years. Leading up to this milestone we will look back at some of the moments to go down in history. The following pictures chronicle the second ten years of Queen Elizabeth’s time as monarch, to check out the first ten you can click here.

Last edited:
Sometimes things don't go just how you'd like them to.

Over the years, whenever The Queen was visiting somewhere, things would be spruced up.

For example, in Launceston, in Tasmania, there is still a part of a road that is concrete - instead of ashphalt/bitumen - as Her Majesty was to travel on that little section.

And, as another example, perhaps you've read of how bedsheets are ironed on the bed that The Queen will sleep in.

Everyone wants to make the best impression on the Sovereign.

However, I was recently told of something that certainly made an impression on The Queen.

Years ago, one of the Government Houses here in Australia was a little run-down and the wife of the then Governor of that state was hostess to the Royal guests.

She has told - in a speech - how at one point a lady-in-waiting came running to her.

What had happened?

Her Majesty was taking a shower - and the shower-head had fallen off.

And not only had it fallen off - it had hit The Queen in the head as it did so!

Well, things go wrong for us all I guess.

I'll bet that the Queen and DoE found that hilarious. They seem to enjoy when things go wrong - note all the giggles in the BBC's docu for HM's 90th when it showed scenes of Canada with all the flies and the helicopter trying to land on water just in front of them.

I know people round here were well chuffed when the town's public loos got a real spruce up ahead of HM's visit. The chances of her using the public loo were non-existent, but the rest of us were the beneficiaries :).

Robert Hardman wants Queen's dearest wish to be fulfilled* | Daily Mail Online
But if all this will undoubtedly delight the Queen, is there anything specific she still yearns for? After all, she is the world’s most respected head of state and her monarchy — which has broken countless records — is as strong as the day she inherited it.

Though she has no interest in records, there is still one she would dearly love to equal. It is held by her great-grandfather, Edward VII — the only reigning monarch to win the Derby.

‘After all that she has done for racing, it would mean more than most of us can imagine for her to stand there with a Derby winner,’ says a family friend.

And there is another heartfelt ambition that has kept the Queen going for every day of her 65-year reign. It was revealed by her cousin, confidante and childhood playmate Margaret Rhodes not long before her death in November last year.

Asked why the Queen had so often put her job before her family or herself, this wise royal sounding board replied: ‘I think she did it with such dedication because she wanted to make her father proud of her.’

As the Sapphire Jubilee begins, on the anniversary of his death, there is precious little the rest of us can do about securing the Queen a Derby winner, glorious though that would be.

But when it comes to her other great aspiration, I think we can all surely assure her of this: no father could be prouder.

Last edited:
The Queen’s record-breaking reign is to be marked with a new £5 coin which shifts the crown around for the first time to make the monarch’s Blue Sapphire stone visible.

The Royal Mint has commissioned a range of specially designed Sapphire Jubilee commemorative coins to mark the 65th anniversary of the Queen's accession to the throne.

The milestone - which falls on February 6 and is a first for a British monarch - has seen coins struck in a range of metals and denominations from £5, £10 and £500 to £1,000.
Read more: Commemorative £5 coin shifts crown around for first time so Blue Sapphire stone can be seen on Royal Mint's new range of Jubilee coins

Jennie Bond (BBC’s former Royal Correspondent), the Republican Queen-admirer who turned into a monarchist, talks about the milestone moments she's shared with The Queen.

This is the woman who said she wanted a republic when the Queen died, and who said on live television in 2002 that the Queen Mother was nothing but an old former Queen Consort who had died.

But she has always been a big fan of the Queen and she praises Her Majesty like no other. She was also the presenter for a Diamond Jubilee program about HM in 2012 and in 2016 for the 90th birthday.

She even said (on BBC News Channel last year) that she now sees herself as a monarchist.

Read more: Jennie Bond: The milestone moments I've shared with The Queen | The Royal Mint Blog
There can be few women – or indeed men – who take their job as seriously as Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. For 65 years, she has put her duty as monarch and, as she would see it, as servant of the people, before every other consideration. And, although she is by nature, a very modest woman, I firmly believe that she will approach this record-breaking milestone of her Sapphire Jubilee with a justified measure of satisfaction. From the age of 25, The Queen has sought to protect, preserve and enhance the institution of monarchy. And she has done so with remarkable success: almost every opinion poll has shown that she has retained in the region of 70 per cent support throughout her reign….the sort of popularity of which politicians can only dream.

As the BBC’s Royal Correspondent, I’ve witnessed and reported on many of The Queen’s important landmarks. Each Jubilee has been preceded by a media storm of predictions about how the event would be greeted with public apathy. And, on each occasion the press has been proved royally wrong.

I remember standing at Canada Gate, just across the road from the Palace, during the June celebrations of Her Majesty’s Golden Jubilee. I was in what we dubbed “the media village” amongst a mass of huge TV trucks, satellite dishes, miles of cable and dozens of reporters and technicians from around the world. None of us could quite believe our eyes: from the Palace gates to the very end of the Mall, there stretched an ocean of smiling faces, flags and banners congratulating The Queen on fifty glorious years.

The Jubilee had turned out to be the biggest news story in town, and something like a million people had converged on the Palace to show their support and affection for their monarch. After some difficult years for The Queen and her family, she was truly touched by the warmth of the welcome she was given throughout the UK and the Commonwealth. And she summed up her feelings for the people in three words:” Gratitude, respect and pride.”

As the most recognisable and effective ambassador for this country over more than six decades, The Queen is rightly proud of her achievements overseas. She has made more than 260 tours, all of which have helped cement bi-lateral relations. Several have been milestones of historical significance.

In 1994, I accompanied The Queen on her first state visit to Russia. It was regarded by both the Kremlin and the British Government as a landmark in the post-Cold War world. With The Duke of Edinburgh at her side, she was welcomed by a very animated President Yeltsin. In Red Square, however, the Russian security sweep had been so thorough that, on their walkabout, neither The Queen nor the Duke were able to find a single Russian.”Is everyone here British?” quipped Prince Philip, as he met yet another Mancunian in the sparse crowd who’d been allowed through the security barriers. The visit was, however, a triumph.

The following year, The Queen returned to a country she’d visited only once before: in 1947 with her parents and her sister… South Africa. This was a visit of personal as well as international meaning. On board the Royal Yacht, Britannia, The Queen was in sparkling form as she told us how excited she was to be heading back to Cape Town. But nothing could match President Mandela’s uninhibited joy as he welcomed her to his new, free South Africa.

Perhaps the most important visit of The Queen’s reign was one much closer to home. In 2011 she became the first British monarch to travel to the Republic of Ireland. Her carefully worded keynote speech, with its mention of “things we wish had been done differently or not at all”, was greeted across the Irish political spectrum with near universal praise.

The Prime Minister, David Cameron, called it a game-changer. The Queen had once again walked the most delicate of diplomatic tightropes. And she had excelled.

After 65 years on the throne, Queen Elizabeth II is by far our most experienced ambassador and I have been lucky enough to witness at first hand the respect she commands around the world. We are indeed fortunate to have her as our monarch.

^^^ That is a very interesting opinion piece from a converted monarchist as well as a succint but essential summary of the Queen's significant trips.

To me, it is very telling that even some firstline italian tv news just as important as the British counterparts (like the BBC, for example) will be boradcasting a special report on HM's life tonight.

65 years of Her Majesty's reign in pictures: Part 4 – Royal Central
On 6 February Queen Elizabeth will be celebrating her Sapphire Jubilee as she reigns for 65 years. Leading up to this milestone we will look back at some of the moments to go down in history. The following pictures chronicle the forth decade of Queen Elizabeth’s time as monarch, to check out the previous ten you can click here.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/27857...ng-george-iv-and-her-accession-to-the-throne/
'HE DIED TOO YOUNG' Queen embarks on personal day of reflection as tomorrow marks 65 years since sudden passing of dad King George IV and her accession to the throne

I think we can all understand why the Queen won't be publically celebrating her historic milestone of 65 years. She became Queen the day her father died. In her mind it will always be the anniversary of his death rather than her ascension to the throne.

Read more: Queen Elizabeth's Sapphire Jubilee: The longest reigning British monarchs in history | London Evening Standard
The the Queen will make history on Monday as she becomes the first British monarch to celebrate her Sapphire Jubilee - 65 years on the throne.

She became the longest reigning British Monarch in September 2015 when she surpassed the reign of her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria.

Elizabeth II and Victoria have been the only two monarchs to reach their Diamond Jubilee.

But six sovereigns have ruled the country for 50 years - reaching their Golden Jubilee.

Read more: Queen Elizabeth's Sapphire Jubilee: Her Majesty prepares to become UK's first monarch to celebrate 65 years on the throne | London Evening Standard
Queen Elizabeth II is set to become the first British monarch to reach her Sapphire Jubilee on Monday, as she celebrates 65 years on the throne.

Royal gun salutes will be fired across the capital to mark the anniversary of her ascension, as is tradition.

A 41-gun salute will take place at noon by the King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery in Green Park and the Band of the Royal Artillery will play a selection of celebratory music close to the firing position.

A 62-gun salute by the Honourable Artillery Company will be fired at the Tower of London at 1pm.

Read more: Queen Elizabeth's Sapphire Jubilee: How a princess became a Queen | London Evening Standard
For the Queen, February 6 denotes the very beginning of her reign and a great sadness at the death of her beloved "Papa".

George VI, who was suffering from lung cancer, died unexpectedly, but peacefully, in his sleep at Sandringham in 1952.

The Queen normally spends the joint anniversary of her accession to the throne and her father's death in private at the Norfolk retreat, staying out of the public eye.

This year, February 6 will officially signify the monarch's Sapphire Jubilee - 65 years to the day that she became sovereign.

When her father died, Princess Elizabeth was thousands of miles away in Kenya, watching big game in the Treetops Hotel with the Duke of Edinburgh, unaware of the duty that had fallen upon her shoulders.

Read more: Queen Elizabeth's Sapphire Jubilee: 20 facts about Her Majesty as she prepares to mark 65 years on the throne | London Evening Standard
Queen Elizabeth II is set to make history as the first British monarch to celebrate her Sapphire Jubilee on Monday.

As the nation reflects on her life and reign here are 20 facts about the Queen.

Read more: Sapphire Jubilee: A historic day for Britain - ITV News
The country will witness something tomorrow it's never seen before in its history.

A Sapphire Jubilee.

In the early hours of 6 February 1952, King George VI passed away in his sleep - and although she didn't know it at the time (she was in Kenya with Prince Philip) his daughter Princess Elizabeth became Queen Elizabeth II.

Whilst the UK had witnessed a Diamond Jubilee before Queen Elizabeth's in 2012 (her great, great grandmother Queen Victoria celebrated hers in 1897) no British monarch has ever before reigned for 65 years.

^This is wonderful. I hope that QE enjoys the longevity of her mother and we can look forward to another 20 years!

Read more: Queen makes history as she reaches her Sapphire Jubilee
he Queen has today made history as she became the first British monarch to reach their Sapphire Jubilee.

On February 6, the anniversary of the day she became Queen, Elizabeth II will have reigned for 65 years.

She is expected to commemorate the landmark date privately at her Sandringham Estate, Norfolk, with no official engagements planned.

Read more: The Queen poses for sapphire jubilee portrait | Daily Mail Online
Poignant portrait of our sapphire Queen: Her Majesty sparkles in jewellery given to her as wedding gift by her father as she becomes the first monarch to reign for 65 years

The Queen today marks her Sapphire Jubilee as she becomes the first British monarch in history to have reigned for 65 years.

To mark her latest milestone, a poignant photograph of her wearing a suite of sapphire jewellery given to her by her father King George VI as a wedding gift in 1947 has been issued.

Sapphire is the 65th anniversary gemstone and the King’s gift to his eldest daughter, then Princess Elizabeth, featured a glittering necklace, dating from 1850 and made of 16 large oblong sapphires surrounded by diamonds, with a pair of matching sapphire and diamond drop earrings.

The Queen has added a sapphire and diamond tiara - made from a necklace that originally belonged to Princess Louise of Belgium - and a bracelet in 1963 to the collection to compliment the original sentimental pieces.

She had the necklace shortened and the largest stone made into a pendant.

The newly released portrait was taken by David Bailey in 2014, for the Government’s ‘Great’ campaign, which aims to promote the UK abroad.

Yesterday the Queen, wearing a turquoise outfit and hat with black velvet trim, appeared to be as fit as ever as she attended the morning service and showed no signs of the heavy cold which afflicted her over Christmas.

She and Prince Philip, 95, were driven to the church in her maroon Bentley and were greeted by a crowd of around 250 people. The couple walked up the 100 yard gravel path to the church door, accompanied by Sandringham rector, the Reverend Jonathan Riverie, for the 45 minute service conducted by children from the village Sunday School.
The Queen presented annual prizes of bibles and books to children, as she does on her visit to the 14th century church every year.

Afterwards she stopped to accept around 20 bunches of flowers from children and adults in the crowd. Among them was Jessica Attfield, two, of Gravesend, Kent, who was dressed in a Union Jack dress and cardigan.

Her father David Beatte said: ‘We didn’t know whether the Queen was going to stop and take her flowers. It’s brilliant that she did.’

As she handed bunches of flowers to her lady in waiting and watching police officers, the Queen joked: ‘I don’t know how many hands we’ve got.’

The Queen also chatted with Royal watcher Alan Mowton of Fosdyke, Lincolnshire, who wished her all the best for her Sapphire Jubilee.

Mr Mowton said: ‘She told me, ‘It’s such a lovely morning’. She looked very well indeed and is back to her old self. It is a remarkable achievement being on the throne for 65 years. Her sense of duty and service to the country is just incredible. Long may she continue.’

^This is wonderful. I hope that QE enjoys the longevity of her mother and we can look forward to another 20 years!

Some how I don't see her living to be 111 years old. One can hope she has the longevity of her mother and Princess Alice but that would be a decade shorter.

Last edited:
A lot of people want her to live to the age of her late mother, but she won't be an active reigning monarch if she turn 101. Charles would be Prince Regent. The Queen is a very active woman. Im not sure she want to get to the point when she can't get around and do for herself.

Let's just enjoy these last years with her and continue to give her flowers while she still see and smell them.

Last edited:
TELEGRAPH VIEW: Royal blue sapphire
As of Monday, the Queen has been on the throne for 65 years. This is known as a blue sapphire anniversary, but it is not one that Her Majesty has chosen to commemorate. Characteristically, she is expected to spend the day attending to her duties as head of state, reading through government papers.

It is, of course, always a date touched with poignancy, since her accession was also the day of her beloved father’s death. None the less, whereas Queen Victoria also had a Diamond Jubilee, Queen Elizabeth II is the first British monarch to reach a blue sapphire milestone.

Unlike five years ago, the country may not be en fête in celebration; but we should spare a moment today to give thanks for the achievement and dedication of our longest-reigning monarch.

Videos:
Queen Elizabeth II: watch how Her Majesty has changed over 65 years
ueen Elizabeth II was just 25 years old when she became Queen of Great Britain on 6 February 1952.

Today, she marks her sixty-fifth year on the throne – making history as the first British monarch to reach their Sapphire Jubilee.

The Queen is a monarch of firsts, as on 9 September 2015, she became the longest-reigning monarch ever.

Pictures:
The Queen's Sapphire Jubilee: 13 key moments from her reign - News

I have chosen to post it here, since it is about the jubilee - pictures:
65 reigning years: a year-by-year account of the The Queen's glorious style* - Fashion

Last edited:
I think that the picture that was released this morning by "The British Monarchy" page is a subtle, delicate but well-pondered nod to King George. When I read that the Sapphire parure was a wedding gift from dad to daughter, I almost got emotional.

Roya Nikkhah and the royal photographer Ian Pelham Turner has been on Sky News and talked about our incredible monarch (and as Turner said) the best Queen/Head of state in the world.

Prime Minister Theresa May, on behalf of the nation, congratulated Her Majesty the Queen on her 65-year reign:
https://t.co/7WVrB9bfj4
Prime Minister Theresa May said:

Today’s Sapphire Jubilee marks yet another remarkable milestone for our remarkable Queen.

I know the nation will join with me today in celebrating and giving thanks for the lifetime of service Her Majesty the Queen has given to our country and to the Commonwealth. It is a testament to her selfless devotion to the nation that she is not marking becoming the first monarch to reign for 65 years with any special celebration, but instead getting on with the job to which she has dedicated her life.

She has truly been an inspiration to all of us and I am proud, on behalf of the nation, to offer our humble thanks and congratulations on celebrating her Sapphire Jubilee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom