General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen is still sick? Something not right here. Don't want to set off alarms but I tihnk it could be more serious then what they are really telling us.

Both Queen Victoria and King George V were sick at their last Christmas and both cases worsen in The New Year.

Wishing The Queen a quick and speedy recovery

Last edited:
Hoping we get a pic or update of her soon.

LaRae

The Queen is still sick? Something not right here. Don't want to set off alarms but I tihnk it could be more serious then what they are really telling us.

Both Queen Victoria and King George V were sick at their last Christmas and both cases worsen in The New Year.

Wishing The Queen a quick and speedy recovery

Doubt it's more than a bad cold. As Jacknch noted, the colds going around this year have been particularly long-lasting and cruddy. I caught one the last week of November and spent the next two weeks absolutely miserable. I finally felt, mostly, normal the week before Christmas and even now, four and a half weeks later, I still have a bit of a lingering cough. Granted, I don't have doctors on call 24/7 and didn't go to see a doctor at all because I'm stubborn like that, but... Everyone I know who has had a cold this year has wound up with a nasty, cruddy bug worse than the ones last winter. Point is, I could well-envision HM staying home two weekends in a row.

Exactly. Colds are not curable, you have to let them run their course. They can go fir days or weeks. No matter the good doctors, the older you are, often the longer it takes to recover from even a cold. It has been less than two weeks. Not time to worry she is on her death bed.

If the Queen attends church tomorrow we can all breathe a sigh of relief. If not, there's still no cause for concern. I scrutinized both sets of Christmas Day RF going to church photos and no one looked particularly preoccupied. More telling -if something very serious was wrong w/ the Queen I would expect that Charles, Anne, Andrew & Edward would have remained at Sandringham & there's no evidence that they have altered their normal post Christmas routines. Harry, at least, has been spotted in London having lunch post Christmas. If HM's doctors have ordered her to rest & recover, I'm glad that she's doing so.

Colds aren't always easy to get over. Earlier this year, my cold lasted for three months, including three days of being in the hospital.

HM is in the unique position of having her every move scrutinized all the time. If she were to appear in public now with a runny nose or a bad cough that might be worse than if she just stays away until she's better. Also, if there was any kind of imminent event or turn for the worse, we would see all kinds of movement, such as Will and Kate heading to Sandringham or something.

That said, it would be nice to get an update. Wishing HM all the best in 2017!

Needless to say too that should HM make a point to attend church New Years morning to "prove" she's still standing on two legs, it could undo all the healing she has been working on for the past two weeks or so and land her in even more serious circumstances. Better to be safe than sorry.

The ones that are probably the most concerned and upset with the turn of events is her beloved dogs that sorely miss the daily walk with "mum".

An announcement will be made in the morning as per the BBC on the queens attendance at the Sandringham Church New Years Day Service.

Yes I have seen on some occasions, not all, members of the RF attending the lower key earlier service, which I imagine would be relatively short, possibly followed by a blessing.

Do the family leave the second service ahead of it's commumion service? They obviously leave before everyone else, which you would expect anyway.
I suspect you are right. However, if HM cannot attend at the Sandringham Church services I believe she has her own Chaplain and, being ill prior to her departure from BP, I think "arrangements will have been made" since she is so diligent in her faith.

Yes I have seen on some occasions, not all, members of the RF attending the lower key earlier service, which I imagine would be relatively short, possibly followed by a blessing.

Do the family leave the second service ahead of it's commumion service? They obviously leave before everyone else, which you would expect anyway.

The first service is the longer communion service while the second service is the shorter matins service.

Queen too ill to attend Sandringham church service

The Queen WON'T attend church at Sandringham today because of her heavy cold, says palace* | Daily Mail Online
The Queen will not attend a New Year's Day church service at Sandringham because of a lingering heavy cold.

Buckingham Palace announced the decision this morning after it was revealed yesterday that the 90-year-old monarch was still recovering from the illness.

Sources insisted, however, she was 'up and about' working on official papers.

A spokeswoman said: 'Her Majesty The Queen will not attend Sunday worship at Sandringham today.

'The Queen does not yet feel ready to attend church as she is still recuperating from a heavy cold.'

I recall at least two occasions when the Queen carried out public engagements with a cold - both of which were years and years ago, one of then being the "annus horribilis" speech. But all colds are different and the ones going around this year have been particularly long-lasting.

That is almost a quarter of a century ago and The Queen has gotten much older since then. It is quite a difference if you´re 66 or 90!:whistling:

Personally, I'm glad to hear that HM is staying in, keeping warm and following doctor's advice. The term "cold" is a generic one and can include any of multiple symptoms. Its when a cold affects the respiratory system that one has to really take heed and do what is necessary to recover.

At least all this is happening on HM's down time at Sandringham and she doesn't have the extra anxiety attached of the worry that she's got responsibilities and duties to do and she'd try to push things when she really shouldn't.

Both BBC Royal Correspondent Peter Hunt and Sky News Royal Correspondent Rhiannon Mills and other experts have spoken with people close to the Queen and they say that there is no cause for alarm, and that she has been advised to stay indoors until she gets better, so she doesn't risks getting pneumonia.

Queen misses New Year's Day Sandringham service - BBC News
Buckingham Palace said that was a "precautionary measure" in the cold and wet conditions and it had "no sense of undue concern".

The BBC's Richard Galpin, at the Sandringham estate, said: "We do understand she is up and about. There's no indication of there being any other serious illness involved."

'Voluntary prisoner' Queen misses church again - BBC News
Officials insist the head of state is up and about; she has not been to hospital or had tests; and she continues to deal with the documents she receives in her government red box.

Peter Hunt said this earlier today, but this has now been removed from the article:
The BBC’s royal correspondent Peter Hunt said staying in was a decision the Queen, as Supreme Governor of the Church of England, would not have taken lightly.

“She has a very deep personal faith – she has talked about God being an anchor in her life. But this is an exercise of caution by a 90-year-old monarch,” he said.

“Plenty of people are feeling miserable with a heavy cold; She’s feeling pretty miserable with a heavy cold.

“It is not flu, it is not pneumonia. If you stay indoors you limit the risks of it getting worse.”

She was still receiving and looking at government papers, he said, but was “in essence, a voluntary prisoner within her own home”.

The Queen is still working & receiving government red boxes despite illness – Royal Central
According to a source, the Queen is “up and about” and is receiving her daily red boxes with ministerial correspondence enclosed.

It is understood that she is feeling better after suffering from a heavy cold over the past few weeks, but is not yet ready to battle the elements outside in order to attend church.

The Queen is feeling 'better' says Princess Anne, as royals attend Sandringham church service without her - Mirror Online
Asked how the Queen was as she briskly walked the 400 yards from Sandringham House to the village’s St Mary Magdalene church, Anne replied simply: "Better."

Her husband Vice Admiral Sir Tim Lawrence, who was walking with her, was also asked how the Queen was feeling and replied: “Not too bad.”

Royal sources suggested that Queen was “up and about” in Sandringham House, but staying in the warm

They're trying their best not to get people upset and alarmed.

I don't think there's anything worrying, to be fair. Wishing HM a full recovery!

Looking at the pictures of the rest of the RF arriving in the rain I wonder if that was, at least, a little part of the decision. Had it been a little warmer and a lot drier maybe the Queen would have attended but with it being damp and cold it was decided not to risk it. (And yes I know the Queen is driven to church but still)

I really don' think its anything massively to worry about, its been said she hasn't been to hospital etc so I think its just a case of a 90 year old woman with a cold choosing not to go outdoors just to please the media by turning up for church. I;m sure the Queen, even as Supreme governor of the Church recognises you don't have to be in church all the time to have a deep faith and be a good christian.

Wet and cold morning ..... good call Your Majesty!

Even the Mirror says there are no cause for alarm.

The Queen will not have missed church service lightly - but there is no sense of panic - Victoria Murphy - Mirror Online
Once astutely saying “I have to be seen to be believed”, she will be acutely aware that fears for her health will continue to grow until the public gets its next glimpse of her.

She is also deeply religious - and the Supreme Governor of the Church of England - and does not miss church on a whim.

All this, and the fact that she left it until the last minute before deciding not to attend , do point to our Sovereign feeling very under the weather.

Having said that, I am not getting any sense of panic from royal aides.

Staff who wouldn’t normally be on duty have not been called in, the rest of the Royal Family is continuing with their New Year plans as normal, and Princess Anne saying her mother is on the mend is also reassuring.

No minor illness can be dismissed in a 90-year-old , but at the moment The Queen’s decision to stay indoors looks like a precautionary measure until she is fully better.

However, her continued absence in public is unnerving.

Cold rainy gloomy day. Even bring driven, it wouldn't help her cold. Good choice for her to remain home. Hopefully she is on mend soon.

May not be too serious, but I think the Palace and family are trying to calm some fears. It is bad weather for anyone to go out in, especially for her fighting a cold.

I read something earlier that said Anne made a comment to the public/media (whoever was there) that the Queen was doing better today.

LaRae

Yes, a few articles included a quote from both Anne and Tim that she was doing better. Anne was just an one word response. :flowers:

Queen is feeling 'better', says Princess Royal, despite again missing Sandringham church service*due to*heavy cold
Clare Gerada, former head of the Royal College of General Practitioners, said a particular nasty cold strain was hitting people of all ages this winter, taking three weeks to clear.

She said: “We are seeing an awful lot of people this winter with a virus that is more severe than a normal cold, almost a type of bronchitis.

“It is causing a hacking cough and if the Queen has got it, then she is probably exhausted from coughing. It may well be affecting her sleep as well, which would leave anyone feeling exhausted, never mind a 90-year-old.

“It’s taking three to four weeks for people to completely recover, and the length of time the Queen has been ill would be in keeping with that.”

It is interesting that Prince Philip is feeling better, but he didn't seem to mind getting wet by the rain and in the cold. Can't control him.

Yes but for Philip taking a car is a huge compromise. The queen is used to being driven, but Philip always walked. In his mind, taking a car and being outside under an umbrella for a very short time, is reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom