General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/o...on=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region

Sorry, mods, but I have no idea where else to put this very interesting (to Royal Forum readers, I believe) article from the NY Times, published on the eve of the American election. Indeed, Canadians regard the American election with horrified amusement/dread, but are quite content with our status quo and HM on our money!:flowers:

Perhaps you could specify what Queen you are talking about, there are still several of them around.

Seeing this is the Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip thread I should think that would be obvious! Unless trying to suggest something else! :lol: :lol:

Agree, she should speak about shopping, fashions, Kardashians, pregnant celebrities, etc.

:ROFLMAO: Don't think anyone is talking about that kind of change. She should change it up a bit. I think involving the family in some sort of way would be a nice touch. Showing the kids running around during the extended family Christmas lunch or the family sharing in her message would be a nice touch.

I think there's nothing wrong with pointing out the stale nature of the messages every year.

Personally, I think HM would be best off not involving her family at all in the Christmas speech. It is the traditional Christmas message from the monarch to her people. Her family and their celebrations should remain private.

Maybe things are best left to how they always were when it comes to something like this. Its been a long standing tradition for families to gather around and listen to HM's speech. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

It's already taped by the time of the big family BP Christmas lunch. I'm sure the Queen will thank everyone for the warm 90th birthday wishes this year. They cut footage from the year into the speech anyways. We don't need Prince George pulling a Tiny Tim at the end. The Christmas speech is one of the only time that the Queen herself talks to her people in her own words.

Last edited:
I agree. It's a time honoured tradition and great yo hear just the queen speaking to us. It is one of those traditions that should remain untouched. :flowers:

The tradition of the Queen's Christmas message is just that - an ages old tradition! Why on earth would anyone want to change it?

If there is an appitite to see the Queen surrounded by her family at Christmas - which of course there would be - (the ggs probably being the most popular due to their cuteness stakes) set up a petition to start a new such like tradition! :lol:

I'm not sure it would be a runner within the royal circle, but what actually would be nice would be to continue the theme of a photograph with the ggs and Louise and James (with an opt out clause on their parts!). All things being equal, next year there will be another tot to take the place of Charlotte on the Queen's knee, so think that would be a rather fun "tradition" to upkeep! :)

70th anniversary

Hi everyone!
Have you realized next year is Elizabeth II and Phillip's 70th anniversary?
Isn't that incredible?
My British friends what is this?
Is this a platinum anniversary?

I don't believe there is a precious metal or gem that would be adequate to commemorate 70 years of marriage. Its a truly remarkable relationship that HM has with her "strength and stay" in the DoE and vice versa.

When it comes to personal anniversaries, I think this 70th one will be celebrated as all the others have. In private between themselves and maybe close family.

It is platinum. However, I think they both have an adequate supply in the jewelry vault.

There were special services with the BRF at Westminster Abbey for both the 50th and 60th anniversaries. So they all weren't celebrated in private. More than likely we will see a similar Thanksgiving service in Nov 2017 for the 70th.

I don't doubt there will be a celebration the general public can share in, whilst a family celebration will also be conducted with great enthusiasm!

Both the Queen and the Duke understand the importance of such events and will probably even enjoy it!

Well the BBC will halt comedy programming - as there are hundreds of other channels to choose from it won't have the impact is use to decades ago. (Also this is no new article its been copied from one that has been around for a long time now)

I suspect the closest thing we can relate to was the death of the Queen Mother in 2002, even then some of the expected things did not happen - I'm sure a number of sports games that people had thought would be cancelled went on just with a moment of silence before and / or black armbands etc.
Like the Queen Mother's death (I'm not being horrible in saying) now the Queen is 90 her death will not be a 'tragedy'. It will be sad and upsetting but I think many people will take the same view she herself expressed on the front of the Queen Mother's funeral service - "You can shed tears that she is gone or you can smile because she has lived."

Well the BBC will halt comedy programming - as there are hundreds of other channels to choose from it won't have the impact is use to decades ago. (Also this is no new article its been copied from one that has been around for a long time now)

I suspect the closest thing we can relate to was the death of the Queen Mother in 2002, even then some of the expected things did not happen - I'm sure a number of sports games that people had thought would be cancelled went on just with a moment of silence before and / or black armbands etc.
Like the Queen Mother's death (I'm not being horrible in saying) now the Queen is 90 her death will not be a 'tragedy'. It will be sad and upsetting but I think many people will take the same view she herself expressed on the front of the Queen Mother's funeral service - "You can shed tears that she is gone or you can smile because she has lived."

I agree. I get your last point. Dying at 20 is a tragedy but dying at 90 is not a tragedy. It will be sad but not a tragedy because she has lived a long and full life

The country wont grind to a halt. Television/other broadcast programming will be effected on the day and programming altered to allow live coverage of individual events such as Proclamation of the King, transfer of HMQ to Westminster Hall etc.

I think that for the funeral, there will be a National Day of Mourning (Public Holiday).

Anything that could be vaguely anti-Monarchy will not be transmitted for at least a day but the news will have to give airtime to the anti-monarchists - that's how it is.

People will still go to work, travel etc etc. This isn't 1952.

One thing that occurred to me after I had posted the link to this article is that it is a precursor to many articles that will be written when the time comes. Although I did notice there was some obvious errors in the article (the title Princess Diana for one), I remembered that this article was on an American news feed and written (in my eyes) for an American audience.

To me, this shows just how honored HM is globally and respected. The end of this wonderful woman's reign is not anticipated but the reality is that it will occur at some point in the future.

There are some calls from some Americans to wrap The Queen and some surviving celebrities up in bubble wrap for the duration of 2016. People are getting fed up with all these notable deaths for this year.

Its hit me too. Makes me think that perhaps I should check the obituaries to ascertain that I'm still alive before I get up and start my day. :D

There are some calls from some Americans to wrap The Queen and some surviving celebrities up in bubble wrap for the duration of 2016. People are getting fed up with all these notable deaths for this year.

Richard Palmer was on Twitter today discussing the Queen's health, how long it's been since we last saw her in public, and when we're likely to see her next.

I was seriously tempted to tell him to shut up and stop tempting fate.

Richard Palmer was on Twitter today discussing the Queen's health, how long it's been since we last saw her in public, and when we're likely to see her next.

I was seriously tempted to tell him to shut up and stop tempting fate.

He also made a comment that he is going on vacation for a week and that usually means something big will happen :ermm: taken alone, that may not sound bad, but considering his talk about the queen :bang:

I saw that! A couple people called him out on it too.

He also made a comment that he is going on vacation for a week and that usually means something big will happen :ermm: taken alone, that may not sound bad, but considering his talk about the queen :bang:

He was being funny - we all know that the big problem with taking time off is that something "big" will happen. It's certainly happened to me a few times - bang goes the holiday and it's back to work!

It's a version of "fingers crossed I get this break"

He was being funny - we all know that the big problem with taking time off is that something "big" will happen. It's certainly happened to me a few times - bang goes the holiday and it's back to work!

It's a version of "fingers crossed I get this break"

Yep. at my work, the recurring joke is "you can't go on vacation that week, we can't afford to have a crisis just then". I swear, every named security vulnerability has happened when someone was on vacay.

Given her way longer public career than most, I doubt Elizabeth is concerned where anyone is when anything happens to her! Other than her own family. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom