General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

PLATELL'S PEOPLE: Why didn't Prince William or Harry stand in for Philip? * | Daily Mail Online

Amanda was so quick to launch criticism on William and Harry, she didn't even stop to realize that Princess Anne was the natural representative of the Royal family at this event. She and her father was due to attend. He dropped out due to health and she attended. William and Harry werent scheduled nor needed for this event.

If Amanda Platell's argument was a valid one, she could also ask why Prince Charles did not step in. He too has served in the armed services, what's more, in the Royal Navy and this was a commemoration of a naval battle. Further more, he is the next King. Or Prince Andrew who, like his father, served in the Royal Navy in time of war.

Actually, I think the Princess Royal was the perfect representative because not only did it mean she attended (and nobody can doubt her commitment to service, the services and the country) but also her professional sailor husband who rose through the ranks to earn the rank of Rear Admiral on merit rather than birth. Who was mentioned in despatches (as was Prince Philip) and who is a commissioner of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

PLATELL'S PEOPLE: Why didn't Prince William or Harry stand in for Philip? * | Daily Mail Online

Amanda was so quick to launch criticism on William and Harry, she didn't even stop to realize that Princess Anne was the natural representative of the Royal family at this event. She and her father was due to attend. He dropped out due to health and she attended. William and Harry werent scheduled nor needed for this event.

Amanda was so quick to attack William and Harry that she told a roaring falsehood.

In fact, it turns out that William, Kate and their adorable children, George and Charlotte, were attending the Norfolk Horse Trials on Tuesday, at a stately pile near their home — and we were treated to happy family snaps to prove it.

Except that the horse trials in question ran Thursday to Sunday (Houghton International – Box Office | Musketeer Event Management), so William couldn't have been "skipping" the Jutland event to go to the trials. It's worth noting that in the article about their outing to the horse trials, the Fail says the pictures were taken on Saturday.

One of the reasons I generally cannot take so much of the criticism of the BRF seriously is the brazen willingness to misrepresent facts that I see far too often amongst the critics.

Last edited:
If Amanda Platell's argument was a valid one, she could also ask why Prince Charles did not step in. He too has served in the armed services, what's more, in the Royal Navy and this was a commemoration of a naval battle. Further more, he is the next King. Or Prince Andrew who, like his father, served in the Royal Navy in time of war.

Given that by the time she wrote the article the CC was up I am sure that she could have read that both Charles and Andrew were actually overseas on the day in question.

Actually, I think the Princess Royal was the perfect representative because not only did it mean she attended (and nobody can doubt her commitment to service, the services and the country) but also her professional sailor husband who rose through the ranks to earn the rank of Rear Admiral on merit rather than birth. Who was mentioned in despatches (as was Prince Philip) and who is a commissioner of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

She was going to attend anyway - so no additional cost.

The Duke of Kent was at the ceremony in Germany in his position with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

The Queen (and her corgis) helped this surgeon survive the trauma of Syria's war | Daily Mail Online
A courageous war surgeon reveals today how the Queen calmed him when he suffered a terrifying flashback to the horrors of the Syrian conflict – with the aid of her corgis.

David Nott was at a private lunch at Buckingham Palace just ten days after returning from Aleppo when he was hit by the post-traumatic incident, triggered when Her Majesty asked about his work.

The surgeon couldn't bring himself to answer, but says the Queen instinctively sensed something was wrong, and called for her corgis to help take his mind off the atrocities he had witnessed.

And he tells today's edition of Radio 4's Desert Island Discs that the dogs had a therapeutic effect.

'I was coping [in Syria] with children that were really badly damaged, and she must have detected something significant,' he recalls.

'I didn't know what to say. It wasn't that I didn't want to speak to her – I just couldn't. I just could not say anything.

'She picked all this up and said, 'Well, shall I help you?' I thought, 'How on earth can the Queen help me?' '

'All of a sudden the courtiers brought the corgis, and the corgis went underneath the table.'

Mr Nott, who has saved lives in conflicts since Bosnia in 1993, says the Queen then got a tin of biscuits and gave one to him, saying: 'OK, why don't you feed the dogs?'

'And so for 20 minutes during this lunch the Queen and I fed the dogs. She did it because she knew that I was so seriously traumatised. You know the humanity of what she was doing was unbelievable.'

Asked by the show's host Kirsty Young if the dogs had helped, Mr Nott says: 'Very much so. Stroking the animals, touching dogs, feeding them… She talked about her dogs and how many she had. She was wonderful and I will never forget it.'

I've read and heard so many of these wonderful examples from both people who have met her and her current and former staffers showing how kind and caring this amazing lady is.

No other heads of state or people are like our beloved Queen and I am proud that she's my monarch.

Last edited:
:previous: Such a lovely story, HM is truly a wonderful example.

More about this amazing story:

Hear David Nott talk about it in this video:
Surgeon David Nott recalls how Queen's corgis helped him - BBC News
A war surgeon has told how the Queen helped him overcome trauma by allowing him to pet her corgis, days after he returned from Syria.
The healing effect of the Queen revealed by a doctor – Royal Central
Over the years, Her Majesty the Queen never ceased to amaze us with her compassionate side that, although rarely shown in public, continues to be related by those who had a direct experience of that empathy.

Dr Nott acknowledged that the experience massively helped him overcome his trauma, adding that he will never forget how warm and wonderful the Queen was.
As I wrote in my above post: I've read and heard so many of these wonderful examples from both people who have met her and her current and former staffers showing how kind and caring this amazing lady is.

This is a lady who is still friends and meets with her former daughter-in-law Sarah Ferguson despite all the scandals and craziness. And as Sarah said in 2011: The Queen is the most wonderful, forgiving, non judgmental person I know. When a former daughter-in-law says this about you, then you must know that you've done something right.

No other heads of state or people are like our beloved Queen and I am proud that she's my monarch. And as my grandfather says: No other country in the world has got what we have!

Last edited:
Such a heartwarming story about the Queen. It doesn't surprise me she handled it in the way that she did because actions so often speak louder than words. After all these years, the Queen is very wise and has a unique compassion that she shows in a considered and careful way. Rather than talk through David Notts flashback with him (which I think only a professional could really do because during moments like this it really is impossible to know why to say) she used instinct and tact to make him feel more comfortable and relaxed.

Brian Blessed reveals the Queen was keen to discuss his swearing when they met | Daily Mail Online
Actor Brian Blessed revealed the Queen was 'in hysterics' as she talked about his swearing during a meeting at Buckingham Palace.

Speaking to the Hay Festival last night, Blessed said: 'I had said the word f*** on Have I Got News for You when I was describing people s******g on Everest.

'Well I was at the Palace last year and the Queen was in hysterics about it.'

Mimicking the Queen's voice, Blessed said: 'That was a funny story you told about going to the toilet on Everest, Mr Blessed.

'What I would like to say to you is that the word f*** is an Anglo Saxon word. It means spreading the seed.' The actor added: 'God praise the Queen'.

The actor said the Queen continued: 'Do you know, Mr Blessed, we watch Flash Gordon all the time!

'We watch it all the time, Mr Blessed, with the children and grandchildren, so would you mind saying "Gordon's alive?"' Blessed said he obliged with an ear-splitting cry of 'Gordon's alive!'

I don't know if he was serious or not.

I have decided not to read this article. The reason for that is that I can't take any of what Robert Jobson says/writes seriously.

Actually, the article is very well written. The more I read, the more I realize that Philip is quite a remarkable man with strength and stamina to equal his wife's.

It just hit me reading this article of how much Philip's resolve to accomplish things and to keep going on with things is reflected in his eldest son. Both men are the happiest when they're doing something and both had to define their own roles in the scheme of things.

They all are pretty good pictures but I went with HM, Charles and Camilla at the Braemer games. Something really must have tickled the funny bone pretty good to get them roaring with laughter as they were in the picture.

Queen asks dinner guests for 'three good reasons' why Britain should be in EU | Daily Mail Online

EU referendum: Queen asks guests to give her three reasons why Britain should remain in Europe
The Queen has been canvassing opinion on the EU debate by asking dinner companions: "Give me three good reasons why Britain should be part of Europe."

Her Majesty's biographer, Robert Lacey, reported the Queen's comments and suggested they may mean the Queen favours withdrawal from the European Union.
As Nicholas Witchell and other people who follow HM closely have said, she always ask questions like this, but it is only in recent years that people have begun to tell the press what she says (which annoys me). And as a author said some time ago, she is much more vocal than Charles.

Buckingham Palace would neither confirm nor deny that the Queen had been debating the merits of Brexit in private, but royal sources pointed out that the words attributed to the Queen were "a question not a statement".

However the leading nature of the alleged question adds weight to previous claims that the Queen would like Britain to pull out of the EU.

Last month the press regulator found that the Sun newspaper had been guilty of "significantly misleading" its readers when it printed the headline "Queen backs Brexit" above a story about the Queen complaining about Brussels to Nick Clegg.

One royal insider said of the latest report: "She appears to be asking a question, not making a statement. She is not expressing a view."
As I've and others says, she ask tough questions, but they are not statements.

The Queen is, officially at least, politically neutral, but she intervened in the Scottish referendum debate in 2014 by suggesting in a conversation with a member of the public, which she knew was likely to be reported by the Press, that she hoped Scots would "think very carefully" before casting their vote.

It was seen as a clear indication that the Queen wanted Scotland to remain part of the United Kingdom.
Yes the Queen wanted Scotland to remain part of the United Kingdom, but she did not intervene in the Scottish referendum debate. She just said that people should "think very carefully", does the Telegraph (who is turning in to the Daily Fail) think that is an intervention?

And it was the Telegraph and politicians from all parties who asked for an intervention from her, but the palace said this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ferendum-campaign-Buckingham-Palace-says.html
Buckingham Palace issued a stern statement in response to suggestions that the Queen might intervene saying that she was above politics and “those in political office have a duty to ensure that this remains the case”.

A spokesman said: "The Sovereign's constitutional impartiality is an established principle of our democracy and one which the Queen has demonstrated throughout her reign.

"As such the Monarch is above politics and those in political office have a duty to ensure that this remains the case.

"Any suggestion that the Queen should wish to influence the outcome of the current referendum campaign is categorically wrong. This is a matter for the people of Scotland."

Mr Lacey made his claim about the Queen questioning dinner guests in a blog for the Daily Beast website.

He told The Telegraph: "She asked the question in the context of a general debate - she loves a bit of forthright discussion and this sort of remark is tossed around the dinner table like a ping pong ball. That is the way she frames her questions."
Exactly, that's just the way she frames her questions.

A spokesman for Buckingham Palace said: "We would not comment on private conversations the Queen may or may not have had, but the Queen is above politics, has remained politically neutral for the 64 years of her reign and we are very clear that the EU referendum is a matter for the British people."
Yes, the Queen is above politics and (as the palace says) she has remained politically neutral for the 64 years of her reign. The Telegraph said the same thing in April, but they are now trying to politicize the Queen and uses her to gain support for their own view.

Last edited:
and at dinner the next night she probably posed "give me 3 reason why we should leave" - she was inspiring conversation.... and asking people to think.

and at dinner the next night she probably posed "give me 3 reason why we should leave" - she was inspiring conversation.... and asking people to think.
This is just the rags Sun/Express who tries to use her to gain support for what they believe in. It's disgusting.

There's no doubt in mind whatsoever that privately HM would support Brexit, as she did Scotland remaining in the UK. I truly cannot imagine her admiring the way the UK's relationship with the EU has developed.

I should have known that being an article from the Guardian that it would end up being on the snarky side. :ermm:

If possible, I think I love and admire HM even more after reading this article.

Queen surprises pub goers by dropping into her local in Edinburgh
The Queen shocked regulars at one of Edinburgh's best-known pubs by dropping in for a bite to eat after a day at the races, it has emerged.

She visited The Sheep Heid Inn on Friday night after giving staff an hour’s notice of her impending visit.

The small royal party is understood to have taken a window seat and to have ordered two portions of lamb rump, one sea bass fillet, a martini and a half bottle of white wine.

Main meals are advertised at around £16.50 on the pub's regular menu but it is not known which of the dishes the Queen ordered.

One member of staff said they had been “sworn to secrecy”, adding: “I have no idea how her visit got out there.” Staff were also ordered to delete any photographs they had taken during the visit.

The Queen made the secret visit to Scotland’s oldest bar, according to the Edinburgh Evening News, during her stay at nearby Holyrood Palace, her official residence north of the border.

One startled customer revealed their astonishment in a TripAdvisor review. RosC17 wrote: "Absolutely amazed when Her Majesty the Queen arrived for dinner with friends and sat at the table next to us!

"What a lovely lady. Security guys everywhere but so unobtrusive that you hardly noticed them.

"What an honour for your excellent front of house and kitchen teams. We have enjoyed many visits to the Sheep Heid Inn, but this was particularly memorable, Five stars plus a gold star!”

As Dman pointed out here some days ago, the sore on the Queen's right leg did not seem to heal. And I noticed during the 90th birthday celebrations and Royal Ascot that she now has a plaster on it:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/15/14/354F50C100000578-3642602-image-a-43_1465997852730.jpg

Unfortunately at her age things take a good deal longer to heal fully and this one looked quite nasty so it is taking time. Best to cover it to stop any risk of infection

I wouldn't be surprised either if her doctor told her to stay off of it as much as she can and keep the leg elevated. Somehow I can't picture HM sitting for a long time with her feet up.

Has Queen Elizabeth II shared the red dispatch boxes with Prince Philip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom