General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She has said this 100 times before, so nothing new from her.

Can the mods please move these posts to The Monarchy under Charles thread where her comments have been discussed.

Or better yet, create a new category: The Pointless Article Forum.

I've taken a look at Anna's Twitter page. Possibly her pronouncements have enhanced her profile with the media, as in another talking head about the BRF for radio and TV. She is an expert on the Tudors I believe, so getting her name out there might help book sales.

^^ Tha quiz is really peculiar, eya! Thanks :)

I must keep updated; it seems that all sort of trivias have popped up in the last few days :)

Reactions: eya
Interesting to say the least. I was curious so I went ahead and did it.

Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother turned 90 and Margaret Thatcher resigned.

One thing I do know is the HM most likely could run circles around me even at 90.

An American not recognising our Monarch? In a Daily Fail 'article', rehashing a Times article? What part of that is news?

She was wearing a headscarf and country style clothing walking around Balmoral. A lot of British people probably wouldn't recognized her in that scenario especially if she was sans corgis.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Queen dragged into row over building homes on greenfields of Yorkshire
he Queen has been dragged into a row over plans to build scores of new homes on her land near a nature reserve in Yorkshire to meet local housing targets.

The Duchy of Lancaster, which manages land across the UK for the Queen, is under fire for proposing to construct 165 new homes outside Harrogate, north Yorkshire.

So far more than 100 local residents have complained to about the plans to build the new homes on a designated Special Landscape Area on the fringe of the town’s development.

One resident has complained personally to the Queen. A Duchy source said the Queen was aware of the proposal but had no executive role over the plans.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, Mrs Bond added: “If the Queen knew what her officers were planning she would be as horrified as the rest of us.”

Another resident Richard Thomas said the Queen “would be appalled by this abandonment of care” if she were made aware of the details of the plans.

He said: “We are sure that if Her Majesty were made aware of this discrepancy of care being perpetrated in her name by her officers.”

Asked if the Queen were aware of the plans, a Duchy spokesman said: “With regard to Her Majesty the Queen, as Duke of Lancaster, it is true that the current Duke of Lancaster takes an active interest in the activities of her tenants and any proposed development of her estates.

“However, responsibility for all day-to-day management of the Duchy is vested in the Duchy Council and carried out (operationally) by the CEO and Management Board.”

:previous:
I wonder what prompted Her Majesty and Prime Minister Cameron to make unguarded remarks and what took so long to make the nasty remarks about the Chinese. Perhaps, those in charge of the United Kingdom should be reminded that beggars can not be choosers.

Last edited:
We don't know what has gone on behind the scenes. Perhaps the behaviour of some of the entourage accompanying the Chinese president caused great offence to Britain's leaders (who are not beggars.) The British Foreign Office may already have made an official complaint to the Chinese government about such conduct. On a diplomatic mission (which is what the State Visit by the Chinese President was) protocol and good manners are extremely important.

Yes I think it must have been pretty bad for the Queen to comment with the camera so close. I'm sure she knew there was a chance of them hearing. Love it that at 90 she is causing just a little bit of mischief. I don't think anything gets past her

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

As Nicholas Witchell said a while ago: She always ask tough questions and is very frank with people she meet. And therefor I am pretty sure that she actually said that the EU was going in wrong direction, but that doesn't mean that she supports brexit.

What is different now is that the media are starting to leak out what she says about stuff.

Queen's umbrella 'to blame' for Chinese diplomatic row as BBC accused of jeopardising openness between royals and subjects*
The Queen’s trusty plastic umbrella has been blamed for causing comments she made about “very rude” Chinese officials to be picked up by a TV camera, which in turn prompted a diplomatic row with Beijing.

Her Majesty had thought she was out of range of microphones when she had a frank discussion with a senior policewoman about the behaviour of the Chinese during last October’s State visit.

But a cameraman covering the event on behalf of the BBC, ITV and Sky filmed the exchange, which happened at a Buckingham Palace garden party, and the BBC took the decision to broadcast the “private” conversation.

Sources told The Daily Telegraph that the reason the Queen’s comments were audible on the TV footage was because her clear plastic umbrella, which she uses to allow people to see her while sheltering from the rain, had acted like the cone in a loudspeaker, amplifying her voice towards the microphone.

“If she had been holding an umbrella made of fabric, it wouldn’t have happened,” an insider said.

“But because it’s plastic, it reflects the sound like a satellite dish.”

Buckingham Palace declined to comment, but a Whitehall source said: “We can’t have a situation where the Queen doesn’t think people can be frank with her. It’s important members of the public feel they can have an open conversation with the Queen without being overheard.”

Crispin Blunt, chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee, said: “Someone has stuffed up. The Queen should never have been put into the position of having that tape broadcast. It is obviously very unhelpful.”

The Queen deserves better than having her private conversations broadcast by the BBC
Perhaps the greatest living diplomat and one of the most experienced figures on the world stage, the Queen has largely kept her counsel to herself, but nobody can honestly think that within the head that wears the crown are only platitudes and pleasantries.

The Queen’s diplomatic role works because she is afforded, like everyone else, to privacy surrounding her off-duty remarks. More than that, such is the constitutional importance of her role that it is entitled to the protection that comes from the convention protecting her comments from being broadcast beyond their immediate audience.

The BBC are skating on very thin ice to publish the remarks, endangering as they do not just UK-Chinese relations, but the Queen’s entitlement to some small vestige of a private life in compensation for the demands of her role. Without that privacy, it would be an impossibly difficult role for even the most skilled diplomat.

The Queen’s life of service is an exemplary one. Buddhist monks have it easy: you have a simpler job not to put your foot in it if you never have to speak.

The constitutional arrangement places such pressure on the impartiality of our sovereign that it can only work if she is given some latitude by those around her, and that the privacy of her personal views is respected. While these tiny slips serve to remind us of the brilliant job the Queen does in being so diplomatic, they risk placing ever-greater burdens on a woman who is – after all – just as human as the rest of us.

What benefit does leaking her views serve? The Queen’s job is hard enough without the BBC seeking to embarrass her, and the British Government, for the sake of a cheap headline.

None of us are daft enough to think the Queen doesn’t have privately-held views, but most of us are smart enough to realise that she deserves the right to have them kept private.

I remember some years ago at climate change talks in Copenhagen in 2010, when President Obama was in talks with Chinese diplomats (and the premier at the time, I think), it was said that the Chinese functionaries were quite rude and even wagged their fingers in Obama's face. (They also scuttled the talks.) So, I'm not surprised at this report of less-than-pleasant diplomats from China.

I find myself at a loss to understand why the BBC would do such a thing to the Queen. They already had the goods on the PM which was more embarrassing for the UK than the PM and then they break that unwritten confidence rule and upset the Foreign Affairs not to mention the Chinese Government and leave HM taking the blame.

Are the BBC declaring war on the BRF suspecting that their soon to expire royal Charter will not be renewed?

Well, The Queen has attended these Garden Parties pretty much all her life, and she knows that her Cameraman and others follow her and other members of the royal family around at the parties. From time to time, we hear bits and pieces of their conversations while they talk to guest. Her Majesty knows some of her words will be heard.

Now, my guess is that The Queen really didn't mind her words about the Chinese officials 'rudeness' was overheard and got out. She knew the camera and mic was on her. If she didn't want to be overheard, she wouldn't have commented on the subject. We're talking about a pro here folks.

We don't know what has gone on behind the scenes. Perhaps the behaviour of some of the entourage accompanying the Chinese president caused great offence to Britain's leaders (who are not beggars.) The British Foreign Office may already have made an official complaint to the Chinese government about such conduct. On a diplomatic mission (which is what the State Visit by the Chinese President was) protocol and good manners are extremely important.
my bolding
The UK government rolled the red carpet for the Chinese because they are in a desperate need of investments. It is a time-honoured British tradition to make supposedly off-the-cuff rude remarks about the Chinese.

The reason for the British charm offensive: London is hoping to secure billions of euros in Chinese investment. During Xi's visit, the two nations are scheduled to sign an agreement paving the way for Chinese investment in a nuclear reactor in southern England. Thereafter, China itself could begin building nuclear reactors in Great Britain, as was recently hinted at by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne. However, security experts have vehemently warned against turning over such strategically important infrastructure projects to the Chinese.
The British are also soliciting Chinese investment for a high-speed rail project between the capital and the country's north. Further, the government seeks to establish London as the leading hub for Chinese financial transactions outside of China - a position that, among others, the German financial center of Frankfurt also seeks.
According to Prime Minister Cameron's office, Xi's visit represents the possibility of deals worth some 40 billion euro ($45 billion) and the creation of nearly 4,000 jobs. "This will be a very important moment for British-Chinese relations," said Cameron ahead of the visit. "It is a real opportunity to deepen our relationship."
The Chinese president visits London: No criticism in the new golden age | Europe | DW.COM | 20.10.2015

Last edited:
I'm an Australian. My country has signed several big trade deals with China. That doesn't make Australia a beggar, and Britain isn't one either. Signing trade deals beneficial to BOTH sides is after all what international trade is all about. The police official the Queen was talking to was also uncomplimentary in her remarks, but the BBC shouldn't have broadcast them, for the sake of good relations between the two countries.

Last edited:
:previous:
It is your right to defend the UK as you are a subject. I have a different view on the situation. It is irrelevant who in addition to Her Majesty talked uncomplimentary about the Chinese on the main British propaganda channel.

Last edited:
I'm an Australian citizen actually, not a British subject. I was naturalised decades ago.

And sorry, the BBC isn't a propaganda channel for the British government or the British monarchy. Many times it's quite the opposite and strongly criticises the Queen, the BRF and the government, as discussions on the forum about several unfavourable documentaries featuring members of the royal family in the past will testify.

Last edited:
I'm an Australian citizen actually, not a British subject. I was naturalised decades ago.

And sorry, the BBC isn't a propaganda channel for the British government or the British monarchy. Many times it's quite the opposite and strongly criticises the Queen, the BRF and the government, as discussions on the forum about several unfavourable documentaries featuring members of the royal family in the past will testify.
As I said a while ago: The BBC is by far the best when it comes to royal documentaries/coverage, with the exception of the BBC two documentary Reinventing the Royals and maybe the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant (but that was because of the bad weather).

Their coverage of the Queen's 80th birthday celebrations, her Diamond Jubilee and her 90'th birthday selebrations (so far) has been very good and very pro royal.

And their documentaries: Elizabeth R: A Year in the Life of the Queen (1992), The Queen at 80 (2006), The Diamond Queen (2012) and Elizabeth At 90 – A Family Tribute were very good and very pro royal.

I liked Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work from 2007 as well (with the exception of the Annie Leibovitz thing)

Their coverage of the royal wedding in 2011 was criticized by royalists to be anti monarchy friendly ( something I disagree with) but the coverage of the actual wedding day was very pro royal.

The ITV is also very pro royal as we saw with their coverage of the Wedding, the Diamond Jubilee and the 90th birthday and their day to day coverage of the monarchy (if there are somthing to cover) is very pro royal.

Their documentaries: Elizabeth: Queen, Wife, Mother (2012), Our Queen (2013) and our Queen at Ninety (2016) was very pro royal.

And as a professor said (I think it was in the telegraph) both BBC and ITV are much more pro royal now than they were in the late 80s and throughout the 90s

Sky news and Channel 4 are much more anti royal, but they are very pro Queen.

Sky's coverage of the Wedding, the Diamond Jubilee and the 90th birthday was mor balanced with both monarchist and republicans in the studio, but their documentaries are very pro royal.

The same applies to channel 4's coverage, but their documentaries are not reliable and is characterized by gossip.

Last edited:
Yes, I know, but there are republican minded people at the BBC who are not enthusiastic about the BRF. I was trying to make the point that the BBC is not a propaganda channel (or mouthpiece for the British government) as Albina has stated in her previous post. The BBC is free to criticise both Queen and Government, and has done so on several occasions in the past.

Last edited:
The DM and their articles:
No wonder the Queen called the Chinese 'very rude' | Daily Mail Online
The Royal guests from HELL: They complained about their bathroom, wanted wardrobes painted red and snubbed breakfast. No wonder the Queen called the Chinese 'very rude'

It was claimed yesterday that the Queen's plastic umbrella may have acted to amplify her voice.

But a courtier was quick to dismiss this theory. 'There was no umbrella in sight when the Queen was talking to Cameron and the Archbishop, where their conversation was just as audible,' he said.

Yesterday some commentators suggested it suited the Queen for her remarks to be made public, due to unease at the eagerness with which the Government had been seen to be 'kowtowing' to the Chinese.

However, a royal source dismissed this: 'It's a travesty to suggest that. The idea that at the age of 90 the Queen is going to start indulging in diplomacy via the BBC is ludicrous.'

Perhaps so. But one could forgive her for getting her own back on the guests who treated her hospitality with such disdain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom