General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Gove's decision to back a “Brexit” has stopped him facing the sack over allegedly leaking the details of a private conversation the Queen had about Europe, senior Government sources have said.

Allies of the Prime Minister have said that the only reason Mr Gove is not facing the prospect of losing his job is because it would provide a huge boost to the campaign to leave the European Union.

Mr Gove, the current Lord Chancellor, was last week implicated in leaking details of an exchange between the Queen and four members of the Privy Council in April 2011.

The conversation was reported in The Sun newspaper as evidence that the "Queen backs Brexit", dragging Her Majesty into the row over Britain's EU membership for the first time.
Read more: Michael Gove's alleged Queen comments are a 'sackable offence' Government sources say - Telegraph

President Obama will visit the UK next month on his way to Germany and the big question is: Will he meet the Queen? The Reagans did have a farewell audience with her in June 1988, the Clintons in December 2000 and the Bushes in June 2008.

Barack and Michelle Obama has met the Queen many times: They had an audience with her during their visit in April 2009 when he attended G20 summit meeting, they also met her during their state visit to the UK in May 2011, and he met her again in France in June 2014.

Michelle did also met her when she and her daughters visited the UK in June 2009 and when she attended the olympics in July 2012.

He didn't meet her during his visit in June 2013 when he attended the G8 summit meeting because it was in Belfast or during his visit in September 2014 because it was in Wales and the Queen was at Balmoral.

This is very tricky. The UK media are saying that the purpose of President Obama's visit is to support the British Government in its aim to stay in the EU. Therefore his visit is seen as entirely political.

There is also the fact that both sides of the EU debate have tried to drag the Royals, and particularly the Queen, into the debate. And HMQ is determined not to be involved.

On this basis, I would say that regardless of the fact that HMQ would have to meet with the President if the Government requested it, it will place her in a very difficult position.

I am sure President Obama will squeeze more trips to Europe in the time left to January 20, 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

This is very tricky. The UK media are saying that the purpose of President Obama's visit is to support the British Government in its aim to stay in the EU. Therefore his visit is seen as entirely political.

There is also the fact that both sides of the EU debate have tried to drag the Royals, and particularly the Queen, into the debate. And HMQ is determined not to be involved.

On this basis, I would say that regardless of the fact that HMQ would have to meet with the President if the Government requested it, it will place her in a very difficult position.

I thought about that too, and you're right, it may place her in a very difficult position. But if this is his last trip to the UK before he leaves office, then I actually think he will meet her.

And if the purpose of Obama's visit is to support the British Government in its aim to stay in the EU, then I think it will backfire, because he isn't exactly popular in the UK. There are not many Brits who will listen to what he says.

This is not a political forum and I'm not trying to start a discussion about Obama here, but I don't understand what Brits have against him. I actually like him and thinks he's been a fairly good president (especially considering the economic situation when he took office.)

I thought about that too, and you're right, it may place her in a very difficult position. But if this is his last trip to the UK before he leaves office, then I actually think he will meet her.

And if the purpose of Obama's visit is to support the British Government in its aim to stay in the EU, then I think it will backfire, because he isn't exactly popular in the UK. There are not many Brits who will listen to what he says.

This is not a political forum and I'm not trying to start a discussion about Obama here, but I don't understand what Brits have against him. I actually like him and thinks he's been a fairly good president (especially considering the economic situation when he took office.)

Not generally disliked IMO but anything seen as interfering in an internal issue will not be appreciated and Cameron should not have invited him on that basis. If he comes and it can be scheduled I agree she would meet him but it is not good in the current climate.

If a meeting can be scheduled for post June, then it should.

Not generally disliked IMO but anything seen as interfering in an internal issue will not be appreciated and Cameron should not have invited him on that basis. If he comes and it can be scheduled I agree she would meet him but it is not good in the current climate.

If a meeting can be scheduled for post June, then it should.

I agree! And just imagine how the press will cover it, especially if they are in a bad mood: The Queen tells Obama that she wants UK to leave etc.

Last edited:
Putting aside any reason for a US President's visit to the UK, is a courtesy visit to the Queen a normal occurrence?

The Reagans: Met with the Queen at Windsor Castle in 1982.

The Bushes: Met with the Queen at Windsor Castle in 2008.

She has also met several other heads of state at Windsor both during state visits and official visits.

And Windsor isn't exactly some remote facility that presents a logistical hardship. It's actually closer than Buckingham Palace to either of the two airports in west London (Heathrow and RAF Northolt) that the president is likely to fly into.

Guys... It's the Daily Mail.

Guys... It's the Daily Mail.

Yes I know, but more importantly It's Ephraim Hardcastle. And as I said, I'm not sure why I still lets myself be irritated/upset by him.

General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

Windsor Castle is probably more impressive than BP anyways. She's always at Windsor full time that time of year. He is visiting her not the other way around. You go to where she is at. Next year he isn't President anymore but she will still be Queen.

Now if this story involved (heaven forbid!) President Donald Trump, it would be almost believable. And the thought of the gentlemanly and tactful Barack Obama hectoring the 90-year-old Queen over an elegant lunch is hilarious.

I'm very glad that President Obama will be getting to see Windsor Castle too. It's such an impressive and grand home.

She's used to dining at state banquets and no doubt has a team of personal chefs on hand, so it's no wonder the Queen isn't a regular patron of London's restaurants.

But she made an exception last night for a trip to Bellamy's in Mayfair, which is said to be the only restaurant the Monarch, 89, has ever dined at.

The Queen enjoyed a private dinner with her daughter Princess Anne, 65, and her cousin Princess Alexandra.

Nice to see that the Queen is out and enjoying herself with Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra.

Good that the ladies enjoyed a nice evening out together, but The Queen has dined at other restaurants in London.

Nice to see the Queen dining out and lovely to see Princess Alexandra joining her and Anne for a meal. It's quite unusual to see this combination of Royal ladies.

Previous ....Good April fools day joke a day early but thats ok. I did a double take at first

The Queen's Bentley you can buy for £220k... on Auto Trader! * | Daily Mail Online
If you’re in the market for a new car, this one might catch your eye.

Listed among family run-arounds on the Auto Trader website, it is in immaculate condition, boasts less than 6,000 miles on the clock and has a top-of-the-range interior.

The only problem is that you might have to re-set the satnav – as its careful previous owner has left it programmed to take her home to Windsor.

For this is the Bentley used by the Queen during her Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

She must have ordered a new car, because she only used this car for two years.

Anna Whitelock again about the possible demise of the British monarchy following the Queen's death.

Why this royal historian fears the monarchy will die with the Queen | Daily Mail Online

I had to read the article, despite it's questionable source and place of publication, in case there was anything of value we ought to be concerned about. There wasn't. Just another mindless article admitting that no one can tell the future with absolute certainty, Her Majesty is beloved, other monarchs have been loved and we'll all miss the Queen when she is no longer with us...

Page filler to separate the pictures, like every other Daily Mail/Mirror/Express/Sun 'article'.

Such articles such is ridiculously! Nobody knows how much you lived the Queen and nobody knows whether Prince Charles will become a good king. Some people simply want to be in the news!

She has said this 100 times before, so nothing new from her.

Can the mods please move these posts to The Monarchy under Charles thread where her comments have been discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom