General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

You could say that about anything named after the Queen though, couldn't you? There's the QE Dock, Merseyside, the Diamond Jubilee Pavilion Cafe in Bolton, the QEII Stadium in Hong Kong, the Park named after in the Cayman Islands, or the Queen Elizabeth II Street in Addis Ababa, plus a thousand other structures, hospitals, buildings, locations, etc, all over Britain and the Commonwealth and out of it. Is she likely to venture there to use any of them? A typical bit of moaning by the Guardian, IMO.

Anecdotes galore - from chauffers to chefs, ladies-in-waiting to clergymen.

Despite the derision the "Daily Mail/Mail Online" draws from some TRFs posters, they now have an exceedingly interesting article out.

Princess Margaret smacking Diana's wrist.

The birthday of The Queen that she had to spend listening to Sarah and Diana together, each complaining to her about the state of their marriages - while they were in a period of not talking to each other.

Princess Margaret not enjoying William and Harry using the palace pool at the same time she did, (Margaret didn't like to get her hair wet and the young Princes were active and splashy).

And on and on with snippets and insights of Her Majesty's life.

I can't post links, but the title of the article is "How Diana broke the Queen's heart".

(And covers much more than just Diana.)

I loved the quote from The Queen Mother at the end. Good advice.

Last edited:
I just don't see the point of constantly bringing up the past. Everybody knows the Wales family went through a very hurtful and tough time, but things did settle down before Diana's passing.

There were also some good days for the Wales family and with the royal family. I just don't understand why those days aren't written about and reflected upon.

Bringing old and ancient drama just seems silly.

I just don't see the point of constantly bringing up the past. Everybody knows the Wales family went through a very hurtful and tough time, but things did settle down before Diana's passing.

There were also some good days for the Wales family and with the royal family. I just don't understand why those days aren't written about and reflected upon.

Bringing old and ancient drama just seems silly.

You have to consider the author of the article. Richard Kay is well known to be one not to let the world forget Diana. If there is an article about Diana in the Daily Fail, 9 time out of 10, its written by Kay.

You have to consider the author of the article. Richard Kay is well known to be one not to let the world forget Diana. If there is an article about Diana in the Daily Fail, 9 time out of 10, its written by Kay.

Yeah, but to write about the same old (very old) boring stories over and over again? The Windsor family had and, still have, some very good days. Little or nothing is really written about that. Instead we get this old piece of drama, that the whole family has moved on from long ago.

Sadly, the media, even Diana's old friend, Richard Kay, can't get over the drama from the past. All it seems to do is paint Diana as a total tragic story.

The volume of stories posted on TRF from publications such as the Daily Mail, the Express, the Mirror and the Sun, is nothing short of alarming. It isn't journalism, it is often dangerously inaccurate and those with a genuine interest in the lives of Royal Families around the world would be better served lining their bird cages and litter trays with such garbage, rather than indulge in the misleading content. The gutter press is well named, for that is exactly where they belong.

If anyone is a loyal subscriber to any of the above papers, I mean no offence to you, but rather to treat the publications with the same contempt they have shown the Royal Family.

The volume of stories posted on TRF from publications such as the Daily Mail, the Express, the Mirror and the Sun, is nothing short of alarming. It isn't journalism, it is often dangerously inaccurate and those with a genuine interest in the lives of Royal Families around the world would be better served lining their bird cages and litter trays with such garbage, rather than indulge in the misleading content. The gutter press is well named, for that is exactly where they belong.

If anyone is a loyal subscriber to any of the above papers, I mean no offence to you, but rather to treat the publications with the same contempt they have shown the Royal Family.

I agree with you about the articles that do nothing but trash the Royal Family. The Daily Fail is pretty good at that along with the others you mentioned. One thing though is that I do have to give the DF credit for having some of the best pictures to be found anywhere.

In reference to the most recent article about the Queen and the DoE's relationship, right now I think we're going to see a huge amount of articles written about HM as her 90th birthday approaches. That's 90 years of material to work from. I found the article on their relationship quite interesting (although I didn't care for the title one bit) and I would say that quotes made were from quite reputable sources.

The gloves are really off when it comes to the tabloids (and some of the other papers) coverage of the royal family and even the Queen who is almost 90 and has been on the throne for 64 years. I thinks the Sun should be ashamed of themselves for dragging the Queen in to this, but they think/hope that this is a good story who sells newspapers.

The Sun front page:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdD0qSQUEAETElo.jpg

Revealed: Queen backs Brexit as alleged EU bust-up with ex-Deputy PM emerges
THE Queen has been hailed as a backer of Brexit tonight after details emerged of an extraordinary alleged bust-up between her and Nick Clegg over Europe.

Her Majesty let rip at the then Deputy PM during a lunch at Windsor Castle, The Sun has been told.

The 89-year-old monarch firmly told passionate pro-European Mr Clegg that she believed the EU was heading in the wrong direction.

Nick Clegg ‏@nick_clegg
Re Sun story. As I told the journalist this is nonsense. I've no recollection of this happening & its not the sort of thing I would forget

As you see: Nick Clegg denies it on twitter, but the journalist he's talking about in his twitter post (Tom Newton Dunn) says in the Sun article and on Sky News that Nick Clegg not used the word ''nonsense'' to him in the telephone.

Former Lib Dem boss Mr Clegg told The Sun: “I have absolutely no recollection of it.

“I don’t have a photographic memory. But I think I would have remembered something as stark or significant as you have made it out to be.

“No doubt you’ll speak to someone else and they’ll say, ‘I was there I heard it’. Fine.

“But I really can’t remember it at all.

“Anyway, without sounding pompous, I find it rather distasteful to reveal conversations with the Queen.”

The palace said this:
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: “The Queen remains politically neutral, as she has for 63 years. We would never comment on spurious, anonymously sourced claims.

“The referendum will be a matter for the British people.”

Tom Newton Dunn said this:
By TOM NEWTON DUNN, Political Editor

OUR revelations will trigger an almighty row, because the Queen loathes little more than being dragged into an ugly political knife fight.

Constitutionally, it is vital for the monarch to remain about the fray, no matter how important the issue is – and they don’t come much bigger than Brexit.

Buckingham Palace may even go as far as formally denying her anti-EU remarks that we are reporting were ever made.

Yet Her Majesty’s most senior officials pointedly did not do so tonight. Neither did Nick Clegg.

We would also not be taking the big step in reporting them if they had not come from two different and impeccably placed sources.

The Queen is very arguably the most respected stateswoman in the world.

If she has a view on something as big as Brexit, don’t voters have a right to know what it is?

Hate it as she might, Her Majesty now has form for political interference.

It is now beyond doubt that she made a very careful intervention in the Scottish independence referendum to back a vote for the union.

Can it be right that the Queen’s politics should only be known when she and the Prime Minister deem it so between them?

It is a massive debate. But remember who started it.

The Queen 'backs Brexit' as Her Majesty revealed Eurosceptic views to Nick Clegg | Daily Mail Online

Queen drawn into row over EU referendum - Telegraph

Last edited:
Proves my point, however disgracefully. Playing on the conspiratorial sensationalism of the ignorant by suggesting silence from the Palace equates to an admission - the Palace never comments on such issues. Irresponsible, undignified, uninformed tripe.

General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

Breaking news

Buckingham Palace complains to press watchdog over Sun newspaper article claiming the Queen "backed Brexit"

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

EU referendum: Palace complains over Queen 'Brexit' story - BBC News

Go get em Liz! It's about time the Windsors put their feet down after the last few months mounting press allegations and preposterously made up headlines.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
It's great news. The tabloids and in particular The Sun have been having a go at the royals lately.

Starting with the 'Nazi salute' story and then taking digs at William and now this.

Glad the palace is starting to push back

First thing that comes to mind for me is a quote from William. “As I learned from growing up, you don't mess with your grandmother.”

I'm really glad to see BP and HM firing back on this one.

A couple things about the whole Sun/Queen and Brexit thing. Allegedly all the Queen said if we're to believe this happened is that she felt the EU was moving in the wrong direction. To me that doesn't imply she's pro-Brexit at all.

That being said, many biographers of the Queen have come to the conclusion that the Queen is at the very least slightly Euro-skeptic. She has always preferred the Commonwealth to Europe and in the 70s it's somewhat common knowledge she warned Ted Heath about the long term ramification of the UK 'getting into bed' with Europe.

This in no way means she's pro-brexit and nor does it matter. If the Queen did express her concerns in a private setting with her ministers, it should remain private.

Last edited:
Today's developments:

Buckingham Palace makes official complaint as Queen is drawn into The Sun's Brexit row over EU referendum - Telegraph

The Sun releases front page
The Queen was drawn into a row over the EU referendum after it was claimed that she has expressed concerns about the direction of Europe during private conversations.

It was reported that the Queen had made critical remarks about the European Union during a lunch attended by Nick Clegg, the former deputy prime minister, during the last Parliament.

Michael Gove at lunch
The Sun claimed that the Queen made her comments about the European Union during a lunch with Nick Clegg at Windsor Castle in 2011.

According to Court Circulars, there was indeed a meeting between Her Majesty and the former Deputy Prime Minister at Windsor Castle on 7 April 2011.

It shows that among the other guests were Brexiteers including justice secretary Michael Gove and Cheryl Gillan.

Gove: 'No idea' who source is
Friends of Michael Gove tell the Evening Standard's Joe Murphy that the Justice Secretary has "no idea" who was the source of The Sun's story about the Queen and the EU.

Nick Clegg: Story is 'nonsense'
Nick Clegg tells Good Morning Britain that The Sun’s story about the Queen’s stance on the EU is "nonsense".

Speaking about the newspaper’s report, the former Liberal Democrat leader said: “I have no recollection of this whatsoever, but the bigger point is I just think it’s wrong that people who want to take us out of the European Union, to now try and drag the Queen for their own purposes into this European Referendum debate. The Sun story is nonsense. It is not true, I have certainly, absolutely no recollection of a conversation like that which I suspect I would have remembered if it had taken place.”

Buckingham Palace complaint
Buckingham Palace has written to the press watchdog to register a complaint over claims that the Queen voiced strong Eurosceptic views during a lunch with the former deputy prime minister.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: "We can confirm that we have this morning written to the chairman of the Independent Press Standards Organisation to register a complaint about the front page story in today's Sun newspaper.

"The complaint relates to Clause One of the Editors' Code of Practice."

'Absurd' Queen would intervene
Constitutional expert Professor Vernon Bogdanor told the Press Association it was "absurd" that the Queen would break from her tradition of political impartiality after decades as monarch.

"I'm very dubious. The Queen speaks and acts on the advice of ministers," Prof Bogdanor said.

He added: "The Queen's been on the throne for over 60 years. She's acted constitutionally throughout. It's absurd to suggest that now she would break from that tradition."

Labour raise complaint
Labour MP Wes Streeting has written to Whitehall's top civil servant, Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood, to demand an investigation into whether the Queen's supposed comments were leaked by members of the Government attending Privy Council.

In his letter, Mr Streeting told Sir Jeremy: "If anyone present at the meeting in question were found to have disclosed information about what was discussed it would be an extremely serious breach of the rules of the Privy Council, and this possibility should therefore be thoroughly investigated and acted on accordingly.

"If it is found that none of those who were present at the meeting in questions are implicated, I urge you to establish which 'impeccably placed' individuals were involved in making such allegations to a national newspaper."

No10 refuse to comment
A senior Downing Street source declined to comment on the report, saying only that the Palace and Mr Clegg had already made statements.

Mr Cameron spoke with Mr Gove on Wednesday morning, but it is understood that their conversation revolved around preparations for Prime Minister's Questions in the Commons, rather than the row over the Queen's alleged comments. The Justice Secretary was not present for the weekly PMQs session.

The Sun stands by story
The Sun has said it stands by its story about the Queen voicing strong Eurosceptic views after Buckingham Palace said it has written to the press watchdog to register a complaint over the claims.

The newspaper said the Queen vented her anger with Brussels at the pro-EU former deputy prime minister Nick Clegg during a lunch at Windsor Castle in 2011.

In a statement, the Sun said: "The Sun stands by its story, which was based upon two impeccable sources and presented in a robust, accessible fashion. The Sun will defend this complaint vigorously."

My favourite royal correspondent/expert Nicholas Witchell (I know that Charles don't agree with me) reports from the BBC studio.

I haven't seen the complete report since I now live permanently in Norway, but I almost always agrees with what he says, and he's always protective/caring when he talks about the Queen. The newspapers and the BBC's other royal correspondent Peter Hunt should take a note and listen to what he says at the end of this short video.

Video:
Palace complains to watchdog over Queen 'Brexit' story - BBC News

Edit: This it not the video I meant - The BBC have now replaced it with a longer video where he reports from Buckingham Palace.

Last edited:
Well, I think there was talk of The Queen being dragged into this situation, and there you have it. I like that The Queen and palace is standing up for themselves on this story.

Thursday's front pages: The Mail continues to reveals their so-called secrets about the Queen, the Express says she's not amused, the Sun writes about Her Majesty's fury at Cameron with an unflattering picture of the Queen on their front page, while the Telegraph says that Gove faces Queen Brexit questions:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdI49LsWwAAbwFL.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdI0qKTW0AAHsby.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdI9ScYWAAAiQpL.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdI2wCyW8AQ7XLH.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Clegg did deny it categorically from the start, and the Queen's reps also said they weren't commenting on specific allegations BUT they did pointedly say that the Queen has always remained neutral.

Video:
The editor of The Sun has told ITV News the newspaper is not afraid to reveal more details about the Queen's views on the EU amid a furore over its "Queen Backs Brexit" front page splash-

Home - ITNSource News

No doubt HMQ HAS an opinion on the matter, but throughout her long reign she has been scrupulous in avoiding anything that could influence public opinion in critical matters of policy.

The attempt by the [Republican] Murdoch owned press to involve the Monarch in this controversy is especially cheap, but NOTHING surprises from him...

Gove [a noted Brexiter] also has questions to answer, altho' Clegg [who is widely disliked] appears to be playing an honest hand here.

The Queen try to stay out of stuff like this, but once in a blue moon, she may let something slip.

The Sun is in a tight spot. The Brexit referendum was only called this year. Even if for the sake of argument the Queen did say she was worried about the direction of the EU, that doesn't mean she supports either leaving or staying. You can be concerned without being partisan.

The Sun's headline was misleading then. We don't know the Queen's view on Brexit

The publisher's code states the headline must be supported by the text. I can't see that here. Tony Gallagher may be a dead man walking

Last edited:
BritishMonarchy ‏@BritishMonarchy
The Queen, as Head of the Commonwealth, has made a private donation to the relief effort in #Fiji following #CycloneWinston

BritishMonarchy ‏@BritishMonarchy
Following the devastating impact of #CycloneWinston, The Queen sent the following message to the people of #Fiji

As the people of Fiji recover from the devastating impact of Tropical Cyclone Winston, I send my sincere condolences to those who have lost loved ones. My thoughts are also with those who have seen their homes and property ruined and are starting the hard work of rebuilding. I know how resilient and resourceful the people of Fiji are.

ELIZABETH R.

Exquisite timing. Mrs Elizabeth Windsor of SW1 feels traduced by Britain’s biggest-selling newspaper. She takes her case to the Independent Press Standards Organisation just as this body – backed by Britain’s biggest-selling newspaper, inter alia – struggles for complete credibility while a rival regulator snaps at its heels. What do you say about a Sun front page claiming “Queen backs Brexit”? You condemn it and insist on an upfront correction. But that’s the easy part.

It’s easy because there’s nothing in the Sun’s body-text report that justifies those three lead words in big, booming type. If taken at face value they, at the most, provide secondhand evidence of a couple of conversations up to five years old in the midst of eurozone crisis – when no referendum had been agreed and “Brexit” might as well have been some new patent loo cleaner.

Clause one of the Ipso code says: “The press must take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information or images, including headlines not supported by the text.” Thank you and goodnight, m’lud.
Read more: Anonymity hides not only the source, but the truth, from the Sun’s readers | Media | The Guardian

I know that this is the Guardian and I know that this Peter Preston guy is a republican, but the country he is living in is a constitutional monarchy whether he likes it or not, and Mrs Elizabeth Windsor is the Queen of the United Kingdom, so he should grow up and deal with it.

President Obama will visit the UK next month on his way to Germany and the big question is: Will he meet the Queen? The Reagans did have a farewell audience with her in June 1988, the Clintons in December 2000 and the Bushes in June 2008.

Barack and Michelle Obama has met the Queen many times: They had an audience with her during their visit in April 2009 when he attended G20 summit meeting, they also met her during their state visit to the UK in May 2011, and he met her again in France in June 2014.

Michelle did also met her when she and her daughters visited the UK in June 2009 and when she attended the olympics in July 2012.

He didn't meet her during his visit in June 2013 when he attended the G8 summit meeting because it was in Belfast or during his visit in September 2014 because it was in Wales and the Queen was at Balmoral.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom