General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that makes me smile. Something maybe so small, but would mean so much to those kids. I can only imagine those kids finding out all those pigeons they were taking care of had been killed by a cat one night. It woul have been devastating. For them not only to get a chance to visit the queen's pigeons but then be given one :flowers: That trip and that little pigeon will mean the world to those kids. That pigeon will likely not even be missed among the queen's birds, but is priceless to those kids.

I find it very appalling that anyone would even think to make this type of a program let alone film one and then air it as a series. From reading the article, the "supposed" allegations are just that. Allegations without any proof or substance to them.

What I would really like to know is that in this year where there are huge celebrations around the Queen's 90th birthday and Philip himself turning 95, what is the purpose of airing innuendos and rumors and allegations of things that may have happened?

To be blunt, I see this as an attack on the British Royal Family in total as it doesn't seem like they're going to be sparing any of the royals in this trash.

Turning down the heating to force the Queen Mother to leave?!?

Surely this is satire?

Who in their right mind over the age of thirteen could come up with nonsense like that?

Anyone know the whereabouts of Rupert Murdoch lately? This reeks of something that would come from his sense of journalism.

What are the chances with this being out in the public domain about what the program contains and is going to be aired that the BRF could sic the best legal eagles on whomever is involved and get this pulled from being aired?

Just from my armchair here in the US, I would imagine that the majority of the British people would get furious at this kind of gutter trash being presented on TV and come into their living rooms. I know it wouldn't be allowed in my house. Its an insult to intelligence.

In a strong statement of faith, the Queen has said that she is ‘very grateful’ to the nation for its prayers for her and that she has felt God’s ‘faithfulness’ during 64 years on the throne.

The comments – rare insights into the Queen’s personal thoughts and Christian faith – came in the forward to a new book, The Servant Queen and the King She Serves, published today by Bible Society, HOPE and LICC.

Her Majesty said, ‘I have been – and remain – very grateful to you for your prayers and to God for his steadfast love. I have indeed seen his faithfulness.’
Read more: Queen thanks nation for prayers during her reign - News - Bible Society

Surely this is satire?

Who in their right mind over the age of thirteen could come up with nonsense like that?

Just curious - what central heating do BP and WC have? Any? I've always read about those heaters in the fireplaces, but not much about central heat.

:previous: This is old gossip so will not come as a surprised to the BRF.

General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

Surely this is satire?

This is all old news read it years ago For what's its worth I think if anyone would do this Philip would be the one.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The first time I heard these stories was in the 1960s but as I was only born at the very end of the 50s I can't remember if they were doing the rounds then - although my parents have said they were.

In other words - this isn't anything new - just rehashing the same old stories that have done the rounds for the last 60+ years.

Whether there is any truth in them - who can say. The rumours of affairs have always been denied. The stories about the nights at the men's club are confirmed with photos from some of those nights but whether Philip went home the worse for wear - does it matter. Many men enjoy a night out with friends and then come home a little under the weather. Why should he be any different?

Y'know, I realize that none of this is breaking news and most of the allegations have been put to print over the years. What appalls me is that a "documentary" being put together that is based solely on these rumors that have circulated about Philip (and other royals in the weeks to come) is even considered as something to air as "entertainment".

To me, this is negativity at its worse and for the life of me, I cannot understand why the producers would want to air something which does absolutely nothing but insult, degrade and humiliate a family that has given so much in service to Crown and Country and Commonwealth.

I don't think any of us would like all our mistakes, imperfections and foibles aired for the public to gawk at.

The BRF needs to start suing and seeking retractions and monetary compensation.

They should request compensation for each and every time the allegations appear in print or on the internet or anywhere.

Bankrupt these companies.

Freedom of the press is one thing but lies are another.

The BRF should insist that these companies remove all copies of these stories from all websites. This will keep these organizations and people too busy to spread more lies.

Last edited:
I just refuse to gnash my teeth over 60 plus year old rumors. I suggest we all do the same. Cui bono? Do not feed the trolls.

It's very strange how no concrete evidence in the form of letters or stories from family members have ever come out about these women and the multiple times Prince Philip has supposedly been unfaithful. All sorts of weird imputations have come from people like Lady Colin Campbell and Kitty Kelly and have appeared over the years, including the story of the Queen and Lord Porchester, her racing manager!

It is indeed very old news. I think some of it comes from that very long Royal tour Prince Philip did alone in the Britannia in the late 1950's. Unusually for those days newspapers began speculating about the state of the Royal marriage.

As for the BBC it has quite a left wing and republican bias so I'm not surprised that this documentary is being shown. Unfortunately it may draw some viewers who know little about this period of history and will believe it.

Did Buckingham Palace have central heating in the early 1950's? It was quite soon after the war and I thought open fires, electric fires and radiators were still in use.

Last edited:
The reason for the heaters in the fireplaces in BP is because open fires are illegal in London. I guess the Queen is a creature of habit because the same heaters can be seen at balmoral. I guess I would want the same heaters everywhere that way you always know how to operate them.

Yes, I know they're illegal now but were they then, in the early 1950's? I can't remember when the first Clean Air Act was passed. It may have been as late as 1960. One of my most vivid memories of early childhood is being caught, with my parents, in a regular 'pea souper' on a visit to London. I do know that one of the last fogs before the Clean Air Act killed many with respiratory problems. I can remember people on the street wearing scarves over noses and mouths on the visit I mentioned.

It's very strange how no concrete evidence in the form of letters or stories from family members have ever come out about these women and the multiple times Prince Philip has supposedly been unfaithful. All sorts of weird imputations have come from people like Lady Colin Campbell and Kitty Kelly have appeared over the years, including the story of the Queen and Lord Porchester, her racing manager!

It is indeed very old news. I think some of it comes from that very long Royal tour Prince Philip did alone in the Britannia in the late 1950's. Unusually for those days newspapers began speculating about the state of the Royal marriage.

As for the BBC it has quite a left wing and republican bias so I'm not surprised that this documentary is being shown. Unfortunately it may draw some viewers who know little about this period of history and will believe i

Did Buckingham Palace have central heating in the early 1950's? It was quite soon after the war and I thought open fires, electric fires and radiators were still in use.

This programme is being shown on Channl 5, not the BBC

Thanks Cepe! Well, the people at Channel 5 must be nearly as bad on this occasion, in a sensationalist sort of way! :lol:

Last edited:
The reason for the heaters in the fireplaces in BP is because open fires are illegal in London. I guess the Queen is a creature of habit because the same heaters can be seen at balmoral. I guess I would want the same heaters everywhere that way you always know how to operate them.

This isn't strictly true. Open fires are certainly still permitted in Smoke Control Areas (such as Central London), provided appropriate fuel such as smokeless coal is burned. No wood my be used as fuel, except a small amount of kindling to start the fire.

I only bring this up for two reasons: the open fires at my friend's clubs are always a treat in winter and I once visited the officer's mess of the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment in Knightsbridge, where my host proudly showed me the pair of blacksmith's forges they had installed (the barracks having been built after the Clean Air Act was not permitted to install fireplaces, but was granted permission to install forges to service the demands of the horses).

I thinks that the royal documentaries from the BBC is without a doubt the most credible/pro royal with the exception of some (including the BBC two documentary Reinventing the Royals.) Both Elizabeth R: A Year in the Life of the Queen (1992), The Queen at 80 (2006), Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work (2007) and The Diamond Queen (2012) were very good.

I've decided to don't watch royal documentaries that are made by Channel 4/5 anymore because I consider them (the documentaries) to be trash. And It's not the first time the relationship between the Queen Mother and Prince Philip is mentioned in a Channel 4/5 documentary. It has been claimed several times that she was the mother-in-law from hell and that she refused to move out from Buckingham Palace.

It's known that she didn't like Prince Philip at first, but warmed up to him as the years passed.

This is a Channel 4 documentary from 2008 - It claims that Cecil Beaton wrote in his diaries that he noticed that the Queen Mother's rooms at Buckingham Palace were cold and empty when he visited her.

Look at the beginning of Part 2, but I also recommend Part 1 for those who haven't seen it.

The Queen’s Coronation: Behind Palace Doors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e23TiPaNY1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BGFgT0piJI

Last edited:
General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

Philip never lived at BP until after Elizabeth became Queen. The Queen Mum lived there since 1936. Wouldnt she know where the heating controls are more than Philip? Or she could just tell a servant to turn it up?

Getting the dowager to move out is never usually a super quick thing. Mary and Alexandra took their time too.

How much of a bother could the Queen Mum have been? She is said to have moved to Clarence house just prior to the coronation (which was barely 2 months after her husband died). And she spent a lot of time in Scotland when first widowed, pulling a Queen Vic, until the Prime minister called her back to royal duties.

Mary and Alexandra took longer but not more than a year, to move into Marlburough house when widowed.

How much of a bother could the Queen Mum have been? She is said to have moved to Clarence house just prior to the coronation (which was barely 2 months after her husband died). And she spent a lot of time in Scotland when first widowed, pulling a Queen Vic, until the Prime minister called her back to royal duties.

Mary and Alexandra took longer but not more than a year, to move into Marlburough house when widowed.

George VI died in Feb 1952 and the coronation was June 1953. In the biographies Ive read, she didn't want to leave and it did cause strain between Elizabeth and Philip. Understandable IMO

George VI died in Feb 1952 and the coronation was June 1953. In the biographies Ive read, she didn't want to leave and it did cause strain between Elizabeth and Philip. Understandable IMO

Different stories are out there.

It was the Queen that did not want to leave Clarence House and was forced to leave because Clarence House was too small. The hallways were overflowing with her ministers and other people who were waiting to have meeting with her.

It must have been a very hectic time for everyone. The royal family and the government.

I believe they are trying to refer to the time when all 3 were living at BP.

Here is what F. J. CORBITT said in his book "MY TWENTY YEARS IN BUCKINGHAM PALACE. The full text of this book was previous posted in the library section of TRF.

For the first few months of their stay at the Palace, the
Queen and the Duke used the Belgian Suite on the ground
floor, at the back northwest corner of the building, eating
in the Caernarvon Room, a large, high-ceilinged apartment,
which has heard more of the secret history of the war than
probably any other room in the world. For, as already stated,
it was here that the late King used to lunch every Tues-
day during the war with his Prime Minister, Mr. Winston
Churchill. Later on the Queen and the Duke moved to the
apartments they occupy today, the same suite on the first
floor which King George VI and his father and grandfather
before him used as their private quarters. Before they could
do this, the Queen Mother had to sort out all her belongings,
and arrange for their removal to Clarence House. It was a
sad task for her.
Gradually her rooms and the King's were
emptied, though the work of sorting out the King's wardrobe
and uniforms was so difficult that his valet, Mr. Tom Jerram,
was still on it two years after his death.

One thing on which the Queen Mother insisted was the re-
moval of the fireplace from her bedroom. This was a magnifi-
cent one of white marble, given her as a wedding anniversary
present by the King. In the winter she liked to have a cheerful
blaze of logs burning in her room,
and now she was leaving
the Palace she wanted her fireplace for her new home. So
workmen took it out in its entirety and installed it again in
her suite in Clarence House across the Mall. As things turned
out, it was not until the beginning of Coronation year that
the change-over was complete.

At Clarence House, the move-in went on with much the
same atmosphere of sadness. Neither the Queen Mother nor
Princess Margaret had much enthusiasm
for the job. The
Princess, whose life seemed to have been changed completely
by her father's death, spent much of her time alone, except
when she was helping or comforting her mother. She did not
wish to see any of her usual circle of friends, but frequently
left the Palace early in the morning with her lady-in-waiting
to visit unheralded and privately a church. Happily, both the
Queen Mother and Princess Margaret were able later on to
throw off this unaccustomed cloak of sadness and revert to
their normal lives.

Last edited:
Thanks for that post Queen Camilla. So there were fires roaring up the chimneys in some rooms of Buckingham Palace until the onset of the Clean Air Act. I did wonder, as open fires were very much the thing in colder months in those days. Not much use ordering the heating to be turned down then, unless someone was designated to throw a bucket of water on the Queen Mother's fire!

And looking as lovely and as cheerful as ever. Love the Queen in that colour.

She looks so happy and the colour of her outfit is wonderful

Billboard portrays the Queen as a CAMEL in Iranian election poster | Daily Mail Online
Iranians voted on Friday in two key elections which represent a major test for moderate President Hassan Rouhani after signing a historic deal with world powers.

Reformists and conservatives are locked in a deadly battle for power which could affect Rouhani's chances of re-election in 2017. Hardliners warned against foreign 'interference' in the polls, and billboards appeared in the capital Tehran portraying the Queen as a camel and accusing Britain of meddling with the vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom