General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found this article and it brought a tear or two to my eyes. One would assume that HM would get thousands upon thousands of holiday greetings each year and that they are dealt with by staff as most of HM's correspondence is.

Every so often, we do get a glimmer into just how caring and compassionate and aware this remarkable woman is despite all the demands on her time in her role as The Queen.

Queen Elizabeth II sends man 'thank you' note - AOL

I just found this article and it brought a tear or two to my eyes. One would assume that HM would get thousands upon thousands of holiday greetings each year and that they are dealt with by staff as most of HM's correspondence is.

Every so often, we do get a glimmer into just how caring and compassionate and aware this remarkable woman is despite all the demands on her time in her role as The Queen.

Queen Elizabeth II sends man 'thank you' note - AOL

I saw this on my Facebook newsfeed and thought that it was such a moving gesture. Just shows what kind of person Her Majesty is.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsa...ajorTimPeakeashejoinstheInternationalSpa.aspx
The Queen's message to Tim Peake as he joins the International Space Station

Prince Philip and I are pleased to transmit our best wishes to Major Timothy Peake as he joins the International Space Station in Orbit.

We hope that Major Peake's work on the Space Station will serve as an inspiration to a new generation of scientists and engineers.

The thoughts and prayers of the whole country are with him and the crew, especially at this time of year.

We join with his friends and family in wishing him a productive mission and a safe return to Earth.

ELIZABETH R.

Christmas interview with the Duke

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
An interview with Prince Philip will feature on @BBCr4today over Christmas/New Year. (No contract was signed).

Christmas interview with the Duke

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt
An interview with Prince Philip will feature on @BBCr4today over Christmas/New Year. (No contract was signed).

John Browne ‏@LordJohnBrowne
HRH Prince Philip, Senior Fellow of @RAEngNews is my guest on @BBCr4today on 2 Jan. Preview at 2h 25m here: BBC Radio 4 - Today, 18/12/2015

And the question is - Will he behave himself?

Last edited:
I don't know if this might turn out to be true, but I guess that is an assumption based on the fact that the queen has been slowing down in recent years. But still, noone knows for sure what the future has in store and her birthday is still months away. 90 is a mirable age, but it can all change in a blink of an eye.

There are a lot of factors at work here I think. One is the obvious that the Queen will be 90 and the DoE 95 this upcoming year and although they both seem hale and hearty and in wonderful health with a extra dollop of stamina, the human body does its thing with aging no matter who the person is. The second factor would be an arrangement that would allow the much needed repairs and renovations to Buckingham Palace.

The most significant thing that sticks out for me is that the British Royal Family has always planned ahead almost down to the littlest detail with plans in place for any kind of mishap that might occur. Some countries may go with the process of abdication and the handing over of the reigns to the heir but with the British, I think what we're seeing is a gradual process of transition so that no matter what happens, the monarchy flows seamlessly into the future. This will give the Queen and the DoE more freedom to just take things easier and doing what they wish to do or not do while also having the pleasure of seeing in action just how well the next generations of the Firm will carry on. For a Queen that has dedicated her whole life to being of service to her people and has worked diligently for over 60 years to fulfill that promise, being able to see in action what she has taught the family over the years would, in my opinion, be a source of pride and joy and a sense of peace of mind that all is well with the monarchy. HM, The Queen not only has served the monarchy so very well in her lifetime but has also assured that the continuity of the Firm following in her footsteps will be ready.

The Queen plans to spend more time in Scotland and less time in London as she enters her 90s - Buckingham Palace could become Queen's 'third home' as she opts for more time at Windsor and Balmoral - Telegraph "A royal source said: “There are a lot of events planned to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday in 2016 so it will be a big year but after that we will see a slight gear change to make things more manageable with a bigger role for other members of the royal family.”

There are a lot of factors at work here I think. One is the obvious that the Queen will be 90 and the DoE 95 this upcoming year and although they both seem hale and hearty and in wonderful health with a extra dollop of stamina, the human body does its thing with aging no matter who the person is. The second factor would be an arrangement that would allow the much needed repairs and renovations to Buckingham Palace.

That was what immediately popped to mind for me, too, Osipi. :flowers:

Renovating sooner rather than later makes sense too on many levels, like costs (it will never get cheaper as time rolls on). Plus there is the scale of renovations which might entail a handful of years.

Doing the renovations now would also create less of a disruption for the next monarch. How much better for Charles to be able to seamlessly move into an already renovated BP when the time comes, rather than stay put at Clarence House for several years (though that might actually be what Charles would prefer, who knows?)

Certainly the Queen wanted to stay at Clarence House when her time came to move to BP. Maybe Charles will succeed in changing the monarch's living arrangements if BP is really not the preferred residence. I have a hunch it's not really a place one wants to raise a family so at some point BP may become offices 'just because'.

I think this idea being floated (if accurate) is a move to give the Queen an acceptable kind of retirement. Good news imo. :flowers:

Last edited:
Although, things are changing and The Queen is entering her last years of life, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy watching her continue on. I'm an American, but I too thank her for her service to us all.

I believe that HM is a genuinely caring person. She may not wear her heart on her sleeve but that does not mean she is not caring. I believe she has a real Christian faith and I will be glad to see her transition to a more sedate pace of life and other members of the family up it a gear or two.

The Duke of Edinburgh has praised the vital work of engineers, saying that “everything not invented by God is invented by an engineer”.
Prince Philip, said they performed such as essential function that it was hard to imagine the life without them.
He also said engineers held the key to the future of humanity and its ability to continue to thrive on the planet.

Prince Philip praises engineers as 'second only to God' - Telegraph

Russian TV presenter accuses BBC of 'darkening' Queen's reputation - Telegraph
Russian TV presenter accuses BBC of 'darkening' Queen's reputation

Russian television has accused the BBC of blackening the Queen’s reputation after it aired a Panorama documentary levelling allegations of corruption against Vladimir Putin.

Dmitry Kiselyov, the chief of Russia’s state media holding Rossiya Segodnya, claimed in his weekly news round up on Sunday night that the BBC “speaks for the British Crown.”

“I’m sure the Queen herself doesn’t approve of that kind of journalism. But the Queen is silent,” he said on Vesti Nedeli.

“And while she is silent, the tax-payer funded BBC speaks for the British crown and is darkening her reputation.”

This is one of the most stupidest and ridiculous thing I've ever heard and unlike Putin, the Queen is not a corrupt/crazy dictator who controls the media.

Sometimes when allegations hit too close to home, the first action that is taken is to shift the blame elsewhere. ;)

A portrait of the Queen as a 13-year-old girl that was dismissed as too informal by her mother will be seen by Her Majesty for the first time after it was presented to the Prince of Wales as a gift yesterday.

The Prince was delighted to be given the faded print, and said: “I’ll see if Mama remembers it.”

The picture was one of a set taken by a Canadian photographer, Lawrence Audrain, who was invited to Windsor Castle by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth ahead of an overseas tour.

When the Queen, later the Queen Mother, was shown the pictures, she selected the ones she liked but decided this image was not worth keeping.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03565/Previously-unseen-_3565118b.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03565/Previously-unseen-_3565117b.jpg

There it is again and I just love it! Mama. Somehow I always expected that as formal and precise and correct as Charles can be, that he would call HM mother or mum. The term mama totally warmed my heart during the diamond jubilee and put a smile on my face this morning. :)

Thanks for the feedback on " mama". Now I've met my quota for learning something new every day. :D

When pronounced the British way (m-mar) it is the most formal way out of the three.

Yeah that's what I thought. I remember one time being very surprised at a quote of Princess Diana where she called the Queen "Mama" but in my head I was pronouncing it the American way. When I realized that she was likely pronouncing it the British way, I was still surprised but much less so.

The Queen came to the aid of tearful schoolchildren by donating one of her racing pigeons - after a crazed *****cat wiped out the pupils' own flock.

Devastated youngsters at Longshaw Primary School, in Blackburn, Lancs, were left heartbroken when a hungry cat broke into the birds' enclosure on an allotment and killed them all.

When well-wishers heard of their plight, new birds were kindly donated to the school and free trip to the Royal Loft at the Queen's estate of Sandringham was organised.

And while there, Her Majesty saw to it that the stunned youngsters were given one of her own prized pigeons as a gift.

The bird, which has not yet been named by the youngsters, is one of a select few pigeons in the world that can wear a ring on it's leg bearing the initials "ER".
Read more: Queen donates racing pigeon to school children after cat wiped out their flock - Mirror Online

What a wonderful solution to a devastating and crushing incident in the lives of these children. Not only did they get a field trip to the Royal Loft at Sandringham, but also are now the proud caretakers of one of The Queen's pigeons.

I love when stuff like this happens. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom