General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
14 SEPTEMBER 2015

A six-year-old schoolgirl who invited the Queen to her birthday party has received a sweet reply from the royal. Little Melissa Poll sent a card to the Queen congratulating her on becoming the longest-reigning British monarch – and also sharing her disappointment that she was unable to go inside Buckingham Palace on a recent family trip there. She then invited her to her birthday party, taking place later this month.

Within a few days of posting the letter to Buckingham Palace, Melissa received a response from the Queen's lady-in-waiting, reports the Manchester Evening News.
Written on official headed paper from Balmoral Castle, it reads: "Dear Melissa, The Queen wishes me to write and thank you for your letter in which you tell Her Majesty about your disappointment at not being able to tour the State apartments at Buckingham Palace.

"Her Majesty was sorry to hear that you and your grandmother tried twice to see inside the Palace and that, for various reasons, you were unlucky. I enclose some information leaflets which you make like to have, and hope that you will visit the Summer Opening next year.

"Although unable to come to your birthday party, the Queen greatly appreciated your kind thought for her, and I hope you have a lovely time with your family and friends on 27th September
Read more: The Queen responds to schoolgirl's party invite - hellomagazine.com

Article in the Sunday Times about where the Queen wants to live when and if Prince Philip dies before her.

Balmoral beckons for the Queen’s final years | The Sunday Times

Summary:

Balmoral beckons for the Queen’s final years

Roya Nikkhah Published: 27 September 2015

IT IS the place she is said to feel most at home, a refuge from the demands of being the reigning monarch. Now it has emerged that Balmoral Castle in Aberdeenshire may become the Queen’s second home in the future.

The Queen, who will be 90 next year, is understood to have expressed her desire to spend considerably more time at her retreat in the Scottish Highlands in the event of the Duke of Edinburgh’s death.

She currently spends her two-month summer break at Balmoral with her family every year. But it is believed that plans have been explored for her to split her time between there and Buckingham Palace if and when she is on her own.

There is no suggestion that this is imminent....However distant a prospect it may be, plans for what the Queen will do when he is no longer there are being actively, if discreetly, discussed.

However distant a prospect it may be, plans for what the Queen will do when he is no longer there are being actively, if discreetly, discussed.

Although the expectation is that she would spend a lot more time at Balmoral and have fewer official engagements, the Queen would continue to act as head of state.

A source said: “There is a feeling that if the Duke of Edinburgh passed away her preference would be to spend more time in Scotland. The discussion has been that if he goes before her, that would be her wish.

“She loves Scotland, it has always been a great comfort to her, where she is happiest and most relaxed.

“She’s a different person up there. At Balmoral she feels she doesn’t have to be a caricature of a queen. Everyone will play it by ear but the feeling is the Scottish plan will be what she wants to do.”

The Queen is believed to feel that “location is immaterial” and that she can function just as effectively as a monarch at Balmoral as she does at Buckingham Palace.

Investitures at Buckingham Palace are increasingly carried out by the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge and the Princess Royal.

Prince Charles has also significantly increased his official overseas visits as the Queen and the duke no longer travel long-haul.

Buckingham Palace has declined to comment.

End

Of course, there are not sources or proofs, and this could all be speculations, but I actually think that would be a very realistic scenario. I've always wondered what Her Majesty would do in case Prince Philip passed away, and I my first thought is that the queen would lead a much more secluded life and not only for her age.

Speculation of this sort is in poor taste, but to be expected from a once respected newspaper now owned by Rupert Murdoch...

There seems to be a lot of "feeling" in the article without much substance. I suppose it's a possibility for the Queen to spend more time in Balmoral in future years, but she has a strict routine and habits and at the moment, I can't imagine her changing them.

Balmoral is pretty remote. It would get very cold and snowy in winter. Not ideal conditions for almost 90 year old woman. Remember when Philip got sick here and the ambulance ride was like a hour because the rescue helicopter couldn't make due to the winds.

May she goes up early in July but I can't see full time in Scotland. Can see more time at Windsor or Sandringham where you are out of London but still close to things like hospitals.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I really don't think the climate of Balmoral would be that much of a problem for the Queen. In fact, I think she'd revel in it. I just finished reading Margaret Rhodes' "The Final Curtsey" and one remarkable statement came to my recollection with the conversations about the Queen and more time at Balmoral. Margaret said something to the effect that if she was coming down with a cold or an ailment, the best possible therapy would be a good brisk walk. She also said that she was raised to believe that staying indoors all the time was bordering on being lazy and it was rare to find her indoors all day long.

I can see HM spending more time than she does now at Balmoral easily. In fact, I think she most likely would retreat there for a mourning period should the DoE pass on but she's far to active and far to dedicated and her Scottish stoicism will goad her back into the full swing of doing what she does best. Never, for a minute, would she consider (mourning or not) slacking in her duties and responsibilities as monarch.

I think the Queen wouldn't mind if Balmoral is the most sensible or practical option or not but rather to her its the place she feels most relaxed and really 'her'. Its an hour drive from Balmoral to Aberdeen, possibly less with outriders, she could easily spend more time at Balmoral and return every few weeks to London and BP to do investitures etc. She can receive correspondence at Balmoral and used phones, computers, video conferencing etc to be in touch with staff, ministers, etc if needed.

That being said Sandringham or Windsor or even BP (though unlikely) could just as easily be her preference, I can't imagine HM talking so openly about it that a reporter would be able to find out.

Our Queen returned the £50 but kept the Bentley says EPHRAIM HARDCASTLE | Daily Mail Online
When the Queen became our longest-reigning monarch earlier this month her lady-in-waiting, Lady Elton, returned £50 to a Romford loyalist explaining: ‘As Her Majesty cannot accept presents of a financial nature I am returning the note to you with this letter and I am to tell you your kind gesture is greatly appreciated.’ Her Majesty hasn’t returned another gift. It’s a 4x4 Bentley worth £162,000.

These are two completely different things. I know I've said this several times before, but this so called journalist irritates me more and more.

From what I understood, the queen cannot accept actual money. The Bentley was not cash.

From what I understood, the queen cannot accept actual money. The Bentley was not cash.

That's the Bentley that was talked about recently that was being given to the Queen from a company in Germany right?

If so, it probably has been added to the official gifts list received by the monarch like beautiful jewels from the Mid East and such and the new coach that I believe came from Australia for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. It will be well used, I hope, by HM and most likely will still be in use when Charles becomes monarch.

That's the Bentley that was talked about recently that was being given to the Queen from a company in Germany right?

If so, it probably has been added to the official gifts list received by the monarch like beautiful jewels from the Mid East and such and the new coach that I believe came from Australia for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. It will be well used, I hope, by HM and most likely will still be in use when Charles becomes monarch.

I think so. And that car was a gift, not actual money, so the article seems to complain out of nothing!:flowers:

IF this story is true, it is not a personal gift to the Queen. IT is for official use and thereby she will not have to spend "taxpayers money" on purchasing a new vehicle. DM should be pleased.

Frustrated American asks the Queen to take back USA - Telegraph

The Special Relationship: Frustrated American writes to the Queen asking her to take back the USA because of Republican presidential candidates and is astonished to receive a reply from Buckingham Palace | Daily Mail Online
Royal mail: What the Queen wrote back to frustrated American who asked her to take back the USA because of dire Republican presidential candidates

Buckingham Palace tells the man the Queen cannot take the USA back

A picture of the funny letter, written on Palace stationery, is posted online

The posts goes viral and gains more than two million views on Reddit

A frustrated American wrote to the Queen and asked her to take back the USA after becoming fed up with the behaviour of the republican presidential candidates - and he got a royal reply.

Presidential wannabees such as Donald Trump have been stuck firmly in the headlines recently as they try and talk their way into American hearts, not to mention insult each other while they do it.

Enough was enough for one Anglophile and he fired off a pleading letter to Her Royal Highness.

While he may not have got the answer he was looking for, it showed that Buckingham Palace had a sense of humour.

The letter reads: 'I have been asked to write in response to your recent letter to The Queen in which you express your views about the American government.

'Whilst your views have been noted, you will appreciate, I am sure, that there can be no question of The Queen intervening in the affairs of another Sovereign state.'

The letter was posted on Reddit by user no-soy-de-escocia, with the caption: 'Frustrated with the current field of presidential candidates (particularly on the GOP side), my Anglophile friend wrote a trolling letter to the Queen, asking her to take the US back. To our shock, they actually dignified him with a response.'

It has since gone on to gain 2.4 million views and Reddit users found it just as amusing.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/10/16/16/2D7ACA8100000578-3276084-image-a-90_1445008248704.jpg

As the article says, it showed that the Palace has a sense of humour.

Last edited:
:lol: Oh my, that was very hilarious to read! Thank you royal norway! It still amazes me how the palace manages to keep neutral but humourous and that's the proof they respond to everyone!:lol:

:lol: Oh my, that was very hilarious to read! Thank you royal norway! It still amazes me how the palace manages to keep neutral but humourous and that's the proof they respond to everyone!:lol:

Yes, I found it hilarious too!

This is all too funny, cute, hilarious and most of all, was my best laugh of the day. It shows me too that all letters to the Queen are read and for the most part, responded to with warmth, tact and respect.

Our Queen is just amazing! Yes she has knee/back problems and trouble with stairs, but she is a very fit 89 year old. She is still very quick on her feet as we saw a few days ago when she was with Camilla and when she held an audience with the Prime Minister of New Zealand.

The Queen dons jodhpurs on her beloved Fell pony through autumn fog | Daily Mail Online
The Queen may be just a year away from celebrating her 90th but that doesn't stop her enjoying a ride on her favourite Fell ponies - without wearing a hard hat.

Her Majesty, 89, was seen out on a hack riding her favourite pony Carltonlima Emma, riding along the river bank in Windsor with a groom.

And the royal, who is uniformly seen in public in skirts and dresses, donned a pair of jodhpurs for the outing - although she wore her signature silk scarf tied under the chin rather than a helmet.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015...River_Thames_today_in_W-a-7_1446478678250.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015...elmet_because_of_her_ha-a-3_1446478678149.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015...p_while_riding_her_fait-a-5_1446478678197.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015..._some_pale_jodphurs_and-a-6_1446478678218.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015..._and_according_to_sourc-a-4_1446478678167.jpg

Armed officers to patrol streets when Queen opens Birmingham New Street Station in wake of Paris terror attacks | Central - ITV News
Armed officers are to carry out high visibility patrols tomorrow when the Queen officially opens Birmingham New Street Station.

Security has been reviewed for the royal visit in the wake of the Paris terror attacks, where 129 people were killed in a series of coordinated shootings and explosions across the French capital.

The Queen in Birmingham: Ring of steel to be thrown around city centre - Birmingham Mail
A ring of steel will be thrown around Birmingham as the Queen visits Birmingham to officially open the revamped New Street station.

Police stressed there was no specific new threat around her engagements on Thursday in the wake of the Paris attacks.

But extra officers will carry out high-visibility patrols at New Street and the surrounding area, while armed police will be on duty in the city centre.

I remember when this happened. I have doubts though that the Queen was impatient and didn't want to wait for them to get out of her way but more inclined to think that HM just didn't want to bother them or make them move for her so she just drove around them quietly. She must not have been going very fast at all if the couple were able to peer into the car and recognize that it was the Queen at the wheel.

Maybe its just me but I don't care for articles that go out of their way to put HM in a bad light or insinuate something that might not be true.

I remember when this happened. I have doubts though that the Queen was impatient and didn't want to wait for them to get out of her way but more inclined to think that HM just didn't want to bother them or make them move for her so she just drove around them quietly. She must not have been going very fast at all if the couple were able to peer into the car and recognize that it was the Queen at the wheel.

Maybe its just me but I don't care for articles that go out of their way to put HM in a bad light or insinuate something that might not be true.

:bang: Did not see the date of the article, thought it was recent.

I get what you mean about HM not being impatient. I know if I saw a car coming down a road cars aren't supposed to be on (unless you are HM) I'd be thinking some very bad things about the driver, until I saw who it was. :ohmy:

I remember this too. It was the day after the Nazi salute controversy, but they said the Queen seemed cheerful and both smiled and waved at them.

She told the Daily Mail: "We didn’t actually have time to get out of the way as we were in a world of our own so she had to swerve around us,’

"I just turned to Toby and said 'Oh my god, it’s the Queen'.

"He was as shocked and surprised as I was. I pointed at the car and she just smiled at us and waved."

From the British monarchy facebook page

The Queen's message to those living in areas affected by the recent flooding in the United Kingdom:

"Please convey my sympathy to all those whose homes or livelihoods have been affected by the recent flooding. My thanks go to members of the emergency services, local authorities, military personnel and volunteers who are providing assistance in these difficult conditions.

ELIZABETH R."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom