General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we celebrate when the Queen becomes our longest reigning monarch? - Telegraph
Don’t expect a commemorative stamp. Forget gilded carriages, rows of painted faces along the Mall, cardboard periscopes in red, white and blue. There will be no Red Arrows fly-past, nor any salute of guns in Hyde Park or at the Tower of London; no concert or picnic or fireworks display to disturb the peace of Buckingham Palace gardens. Instead, according to royal aides, Wednesday September 9 2015 will be 'business as usual’. As far as the Palace is concerned, this is not a day for celebration.

Yet this is not a “usual” day. September 9 represents an extraordinary milestone in our island story. It is the day on which Elizabeth II becomes the longest-reigning monarch in British history, the day on which she breaks the record held for more than a century by her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria. September 9 is the day that casts in a new light the National Anthem’s prayer about a Queen who is “long to reign over us”.

Last edited:
Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 52s 53 seconds ago
Downton Abbey's Dowager Countess of Grantham aka actress Dame Maggie Smith is dining with the Queen at Windsor Castle tonight.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 52s 53 seconds ago
Downton Abbey's Dowager Countess of Grantham aka actress Dame Maggie Smith is dining with the Queen at Windsor Castle tonight.

now THATS a dinner party!

now THATS a dinner party!

It is indeed! I imagine that Dame Maggie will feel very much at home having dinner at the Palace - no worries over which knife and fork to use!

The Queen has spent a second day enjoying the spring sunshine in Windsor Great Park this week.
Her Majesty, who is approaching her 89th birthday, was spotted riding her faithful black Fell pony, Carltonlima Emma, as she was joined by Lord Vestey and her Head Groom Terry Pendry in the beautiful park close to her Windsor Castle home on Monday.
She was well prepared for any spring showers in a lightweight waterproof, and, as is her wont, eschewed a helmet in favour of one of her silk scarves.

The Queen heads out for horse ride in Windsor Great Park | Daily Mail Online

I've heard Hermes has a new kevlar lined scarf. It comes tied and formed and you just slip it on over one's hairstyle. It's water resistant as well! :flowers:

The Queen celebrates her 89th birthday - BBC News

Queen spends 89th birthday celebrating with Royal family at Windsor Castle - Telegraph

The Queen will spend her 89th birthday on Tuesday celebrating quietly with members of the Royal family at Windsor Castle as she takes a rare week off from official engagements.

Her Majesty will still go through her daily quota of government red boxes, as she does every day except Christmas Day, but will otherwise be able to relax with the Duke of Edinburgh as she enters her 90th year.

The Prince of Wales, the Duke of York and the Earl of Wessex have also kept their diaries free, suggesting they may join her for a birthday celebration at some point during the day.

She could even receive a visit from her great-grandson, Prince George, if the Duchess of Cambridge is feeling well enough to make the trip, or of the Duke of Cambridge has a day off from his air ambulance pilot training.

Last edited:
Video:
Gun salutes have been fired to mark the Queen's 89th birthday. The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery - in full dress uniform - rode their horses past Buckingham Palace in the sunshine en route to Hyde Park to stage a 41-gun royal salute using six First World War-era 13-pounder Field Guns at midday-

Home - ITNSource News

Perhaps we will see him wearing it in a few hours at the Anzac Day Service of Commemoration and Thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey. I hope so, it would be fitting.

General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

People actually asked on Twitter if Catherine was attending after seeing this lady :)

Sorry, but to me that article sounds like a silly one... Well, it's the daily mail, what did I expect?:ermm::lol:

Buckingham Palace footman dies minutes after receiving honour from Queen - hellomagazine.com

A source confirmed that the Queen's gesture had been "the talk of the Palace". "She is a very caring and warm person, and takes an interest in all her staff," the insider said of the monarch, who inspires great devotion amongst her staff.

"She believes in rewarding loyalty and she would have been very upset that David died at such a young age. Her gesture has been the talk of the Palace. David was very ill but he died a happy man."

Nothing surprises me with this, as I wrote in this post, http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...d-duke-of-edinburgh-29391-15.html#post1756176 there are many such stories about the Queen.

Last edited:
Video: Queen sculptor fears bronze cast will look nothing like her - Telegraph

In more than five decades as a top-flight sculptor, James Butler has fashioned clay into dolphins and horses, playwrights and presidents. But never the Queen.

Now, at 83, he has finally won the commission he regards as “the highlight of my career”. The only trouble, said the man behind the Fleet Air Arm memorial in London and statues of everyone from Shakespeare to John Wilkes, is that Her Majesty is rather tricky to get right.

“Everybody thinks they know what the Queen looks like,” he said on a tour of his studio in Worcestershire. “People look at statues of her and say: ‘oh no, that bit’s not quite right’. It is what I thought the Queen looked like, stuck 10ft high above me, but when I’m at the unveiling I might think, gosh, I’ve missed it completely.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom