General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
General News & Information for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh

Two of the main Swedish newspapers reports about a planned attack on the Queen on Sunday but doesn't give much details. Does anyone know more about it?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Four men were seized yesterday after months of surveillance. Last night police were said to be interrogating the suspects - who are thought to have hatched a plot assassinate the Queen with a knife.

Police had already stepped up security after a terrorist shot a soldier guarding a war memorial at Canada’s parliament.

The Police [who are in the VERY EARLY stages of investigating, and questioning these men] have given NO indication of what was plotted, nor who the intended victim might be...

That the Queen might be the target is the purest speculation at this point.. and is intended solely to sell newspapers...

'Her Majesty will not shirk her duty': Queen to attend Remembrance ceremony at Cenotaph tomorrow despite police arresting four Islamic extremists over 'plot to kill her'* | Daily Mail Online

Daily Mail has more.

More nutcases.
Makes you wonder when one of them will get through and actually hurt a royal. And it need not be the BRF, any royal family is a target. The logic being: if you are not a nutcase like us, you are a target.
I completely agree. IMO it might be one of the family members who are not in the main line of "working family" but another who might not have the same level of security. :sad:

Well said wyevale No indication to date that Whitehall and the BRF were the target.

I completely agree. IMO it might be one of the family members who are not in the main line of "working family" but another who might not have the same level of security. :sad:

As the IRA proved in 1979 when they blew up Lord Mountbatten - attack someone close enough to the royals - Philip's uncle - but far enough away to not have a really high level of security.

The highest ranked royals these days who would met that criteria would be Beatrice and Eugenie - have private security but not the full security that surrounds say William and Harry.

Four men were seized yesterday after months of surveillance. Last night police were said to be interrogating the suspects - who are thought to have hatched a plot assassinate the Queen with a knife.

Police had already stepped up security after a terrorist shot a soldier guarding a war memorial at Canada’s parliament.

Just a correction: the war memorial is not at Canada's parliament. It's located near Parliament, but is a separate entity from it. The man then entered Parliament where he shot another man before being killed himself.

Just a correction: the war memorial is not at Canada's parliament. It's located near Parliament, but is a separate entity from it. The man then entered Parliament where he shot another man before being killed himself.

That correction should be directed at the Daily Mail as that's where my information comes from. :)

That correction should be directed at the Daily Mail as that's where my information comes from. :)

That doesn't surprise me in the least, but really I have more faith in your intelligence than the DM's.

Royal.gov has a new page about the Royal Household and the Environment. Cool!
http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/TheRoyalHouseholdandtheEnvironment/Energy.aspx
There is amazing detail here:

• A borehole at BP gardens is the source of cool water that is pumped into a system to cool the wine cellar and Queen's Gallery
  • Like many of us, the household is trying out LED replacement lighting
  • 99$ of BP gardens' green waste is re-purposed
  • They burn weeds off garden paths, rather than use herbicide
I could go on - but you get the idea and will visit the page if you have interest!

To me this would seem quite logical honestly... I've always thought the spouse of the monarch should be regent in case...

No - the legislation is clear - the regent is the next in line of succession. The exception was Philip in the case of a minor child.

As the law currently exists, Harry would be regent for George.

The reason for Philip was simply because of the character and nature of Margaret - they didn't feel she would be up to the role if called upon.

The Queen Mother wasn't going to be regent for QEII if a regency was needed. The Regent would have been The Duke of Gloucester.

The last time there was a Regent in the UK was George IV - not the Queen but the eldest son and heir.

William IV's Regency Act had Victoria's mother as possible Regent (not the spouse of the monarch or the next in line - who would have been King of Hanover separately and so wouldn't have really been available).

Victoria had Albert as again the next in line was the King of Hanover and she didn't believe that the King of one country should be regent for another and she believed that Albert would be the best person for the role.

Historically therefore it is clear that it hasn't been the spouse of the monarch but the next in line of succession - as it is today - Charles and not Philip would be Regent in the case of the Queen becoming incapacitated. Harry would be Regent for George over Kate.

I should perhaps have posted this in the household thread, but since I focus on what he says about The Queen, I think it suits better here.

Interview: etiquette with The Royal Butler

She is a lovely and kind, caring lady who will put you at ease. She is wonderful at this, as I have experienced over the years, and on a few occasions, I’ve been the only person in the room with her. I must say she has a lovely sense of humour which I have been lucky enough to share with her personally.

This is one of many things I love about The Queen.

Last edited:
Queen sends condolences to Glasgow crash victims

Prince Philip and I were saddened by the news of the tragic accident in Glasgow yesterday.

Our thoughts and prayers go to the families of those who have lost loved ones and to those who have been injured.

This sad event is made even more difficult as it comes at Christmas time. I send my condolences to all the people of Glasgow.

Queen's Christmas message to veterans - Telegraph

She wrote: "Please convey my warm thanks to the chairman and trustees of ABF The Soldiers’ Charity for their message of loyal greetings sent on the occasion of the launch of their collaborative Christmas campaign to raise awareness of the difficulties faced by servicemen and servicewomen in returning to civilian life.

"This year we commemorate the sacrifices made by members of the armed services 100 years ago.
"We owe a great debt of gratitude to past and present servicemen and servicewomen who put their lives in jeopardy to keep us safe and it is clear that the work of ABF The Soldiers’ Charity is as important today as it has ever been.

"As your patron, I thank you for your kind message and send my very best wishes."

NBC News has posted The Queen Christmas Message on it website.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

A distinguished commentator's brilliant analysis of what the New Year has in store: Our longest serving monarch? Meltdown for the ruling class? Historian and author SIR ROY STRONG says: Roll on, 2015! | Daily Mail Online

Next year sees a milestone in British history. On September 9, our present monarch will have reigned longer than her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, making her the longest serving in our history.
Like Victoria, Elizabeth II has come in old age to be a hugely venerated figure. The majority of the population cannot remember a time without her. Indeed, most Britons will have been born during her reign.
And yet there remains the fact that we are at the close of the second Elizabethan age.

Ten reasons 2015 is already a right royal year in the making

1. Long to reign over us
Let’s face it, nothing can close to matching the huge historical moment that will occur as the clock strikes midnight and September 10th 2015 dawns. For on that day, the Queen will become our longest reigning monarch as her personal rule overtakes that of the current record holder, Queen Victoria.
At the moment, there are no special plans to mark this special day. But as excitement grows ahead of the event that might all change. No doubt people will gather at Buckingham Palace as the clock ticks down and Victoria fades into history to be replaced by her great, great granddaughter. The year of 2015 will be remembered for many royal events but the crowning moment will surely be the moment Elizabeth II makes history.

Last edited:
Jenny Hjul: Queen is long to reign over us | Herald Scotland
Whatever the highs and lows endured by our political rulers over the past 12 months, it has been an excellent year for the Queen.

She may not have enjoyed the flag-waving adulation of her diamond jubilee in 2012, and she may be travelling a little less these days, but there is no doubt she has seen out 2014 triumphantly.

She has just been voted our most moral leader, beating the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Prime Minister, the rest of her family and the Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai in a YouGov poll.

More revealingly, she was the biggest television ratings success over Christmas, with her annual message to the nation attracting 7.8 million viewers, more even than the Irish comedy Mrs Brown's Boys and the evergreen EastEnders.

An 88-year-old great grandmother mulling over Christ as a "role model of forgiveness" may not be obvious box office, but the Queen, alone among our public figures, can get away with mixing God and politics. She can get away with almost anything.

New portrait of The Queen in the works

Speaking of painting Her Majesty, Mr Stone said “It’s an incredible honour to be invited to paint her.”

“I’ve started work and it will be completed later this year. It will be a very large oil painting and The Queen will look very dignified.”

There is added pressure for Mr Stone’s portrait to be exemplary as The Queen has previously told him that she has a dislike to some portraits that are taken of her. She reportedly told him that “one would wish to consign some of them to the basement”.
The portrait will be completed towards the end of the year.

The Queen has sent this message to the people of South Australia and Victoria:

Prince Philip and I send our sincere thanks and appreciation to the hundreds of firefighters and community volunteers who have risked their lives to contain the bushfires in South Australia and Victoria.
Our thoughts are with the families who have lost their homes and personal possessions in the fires.
I commend the courage and fortitude of the men and women who continue to assist with the emergency operations and those who are providing support to the people who are directly affected.

Elizabeth R.

Rankin: 'I see the person, not the celebrity' - Telegraph

The moment Rankin glimpsed the Queen laughing with one of her staff, he knew that was the shot he wanted. “I watched her walk down this long corridor at Buckingham Palace with a guy who must have been at least 6ft. She’s tiny, and she was looking up at him, smiling and chatting, and I thought, 'You’re exactly what I want you to be. You’re a real person’. ”
But the photographer, who shot Her Majesty back in 2002 as part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations, had only five minutes, and was desperate to make her laugh again. “So I started saying 'Ma’am’, like 'jam’. 'Ma’am, you have to smile, please’ – I was like Austin Powers. And she just laughed at me. She was really funny, making a lot of jokes – very dry. Photography is all about collaboration – and she gave it to me.”
The end result is the Queen grinning in front of the Union flag. “She wrote back to me, having seen the shot, saying, 'I love the stitching on the flag’. That’s the Queen’s way of not having an opinion. That’s classy. It’s like saying, 'I like the photograph, I’m just not commenting on myself’.
“David Bailey took a photograph of her last year and he made her laugh as well,” he adds. “His is better than mine. I was quite young when I took mine. He’s a bit nearer her age. His is so brilliant. But then, I made her laugh first!”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom