General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see...She interrupted HM in mid conversation because Ms Bond thought she was saving The Queen from something boring, climbed a ladder to play Peeping Tom on the Family during what sounds like a private part of The Queen Mum's Birthday Celebrations and she can't understand why the BRF are frosty w/her, do I have that right?

What a stupid pretentious idiot!! IMO, they've treated her exactly how she deserves to be treated.

I actually like Jennie Bond as a personality and i think she was a half decent royal reporter. Her book about her work was IMO a good readand quite insightful about how the reporters (mainly tv reporters) around the royal family work. However as a mainly tv correspondent who reported on what washappening I don't think she would be that good at writing a book about the Queen as it would need a level of research she's never have had to do as a tv reporter.

My favourite books about The Queen is Young Elizabeth: The Making Of Our Queen by Kate Williams, Our Queen by Robert Hardman and Queen Elizabeth II Her Life in Our Times by Sarah Bradford, there are also many souvenir books with wonderful pictures.

Long Live Elizabeth The Great

Did HM actually order the mission on the Falklands or did the PM tell they were going to do it and it was really the PM who ordered the mission?

Do you mean in regards to the Falkland Wars?

The Argentinians started that by invading the islands. They put it as a re-occupation if their territory, while the British saw it as an invasion of a British dependent territory. I'm pretty sure HM doesn't have the power to order a military strike, that was all the government.

It should be noted that in the Falklands the vast majority (at least of the voting population) wants to remain under British rule; a recent referendum came back with 99.8% of the vote for the British.

As for Anne's trip to Argentina, it isn't as a representative of the monarchy but though her role as the president of the International Olympic Committee.

Do you mean in regards to the Falkland Wars?

The Argentinians started that by invading the islands. They put it as a re-occupation if their territory, while the British saw it as an invasion of a British dependent territory. I'm pretty sure HM doesn't have the power to order a military strike, that was all the government.

It should be noted that in the Falklands the vast majority (at least of the voting population) wants to remain under British rule; a recent referendum came back with 99.8% of the vote for the British.

As for Anne's trip to Argentina, it isn't as a representative of the monarchy but though her role as the president of the International Olympic Committee.

Thanks for the history lesson, Ish. I thought Argentina invaded the islands.

The heart of my post was about whether or not the monarch has the power to order a military operation as the protesters claim in the article BritishRoyalist posted. Thank you for clarifying that for me.:flowers:

Thanks for the history lesson, Ish. I thought Argentina invaded the islands.

The heart of my post was about whether or not the monarch has the power to order a military operation as the protesters claim in the article BritishRoyalist posted. Thank you for clarifying that for me.:flowers:

You're welcome! The thing to remember is that the monarch is symbolic. While the government may be acting in her name, ultimately it is the government that is making the decisions.

HM has not the power to order troops to march down the street let alone send them into battle. That decision was made by Mrs Thatcher as PM, with the support of the British public and the Falklanders. I have no doubt HM supported the decision but she had no real say in the matter. She certainly supported her sons participation in the battle though.

Audio:
When The Duke Flirted With The Queen- The Queen's Suite
In 1958, at an arts festival in Yorkshire, Duke Ellington was presented to Queen Elizabeth II. They tied up the reception line for a few minutes, exchanging royal pleasantries; our Duke politely flirted with Her Majesty. Soon afterward, maybe that very night, Ellington outlined the movements of The Queen's Suite. He recorded it with his orchestra the following year, sent it to Her Majesty, and declined to release it to the public in his lifetime. It's not clear whether Queen Elizabeth has listened to it-
NPR Media Player

Audio:
When The Duke Flirted With The Queen- The Queen's Suite
In 1958, at an arts festival in Yorkshire, Duke Ellington was presented to Queen Elizabeth II. They tied up the reception line for a few minutes, exchanging royal pleasantries; our Duke politely flirted with Her Majesty. Soon afterward, maybe that very night, Ellington outlined the movements of The Queen's Suite. He recorded it with his orchestra the following year, sent it to Her Majesty, and declined to release it to the public in his lifetime. It's not clear whether Queen Elizabeth has listened to it-
NPR Media Player

Now that is what I call a tribute! It is one thing for an artist to memorialize someone and have that work publicized as a tribute (for example, Elton John's version of Candles in the Wind for the late Diana) and another thing to honor a person such as Duke Ellington did and keep the gift private.

He was a quite the gentleman and most likely bowled over by the charm and grace of HM.

I think it was a very nice private tribute to Her Majesty. I imagine she liked the idea of Duke Ellington coming up with this suite for her.

There doesn't appear to be a photo thread of QEII, if there is feel free to move this post.

Here are three large and nice pics of QEII, based on (wait for it...) her favorite nail polish. - Which according to the article these pics come from is Essie's Ballet Slippers. Oddly enough only one of these pics actually show her nails - oh, well...

Anyway here you go: http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/982/6/2048x-u/6982574-britain-royals.jpg

[FONT=&quot] http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/982/6/2048x-u/6982577-britain.jpg

http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/982/6/x2048-u/6982575-britain-royals.jpg

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Happy wedding anniversary to Her Majesty and Prince Philip, 66 years is quite an achievement. My parents celebrate 66 happy years tomorrow. Couples who spend this long together have a special bond. My parents go to bed and hold hands. So lovely seeing them interact together.

I don't know that's the right thread but I can't find the one of general information! Maybe this question is trivial but: Can someone cleary explain why Prince Philip is Prince Consort and not King? Because I know that both Camilla and Catherine will be one day Queen Consort... I don't get it!

I don't know that's the right thread but I can't find the one of general information! Maybe this question is trivial but: Can someone cleary explain why Prince Philip is Prince Consort and not King? Because I know that both Camilla and Catherine will be one day Queen Consort... I don't get it!

Actually Philip isn't Prince Consort but rather HRH Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh. The only time that the title Prince Consort was ever in use was when Queen Victoria was on the throne and Albert was Prince Consort.

Think about it like a deck of cards. A King always is higher than a Queen. When there is a Queen Regnant, giving her husband the title of King kind of infers a superiority over the monarch. Another very important factor is that in the UK, a woman generally takes her titles and styles from her husband. The husband never has taken his titles and styles from his wife.

When Philip married Princess Elizabeth, he was known as Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, RN. On his marriage, George VI created him The Duke of Edinburgh so for a while, HM was Princess Elizabeth, The Duchess of Edinburgh. When Elizabeth ascended the throne, she created Philip a Prince of the UK in his own right.

There is a wonderful extensive thread here that discusses all the ins and outs of British titles and styles and is a very good educational read I think.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/questions-about-british-styles-and-titles-258.html

Last edited:
I made two Collages of HM Queen Elizabeth. The First Collage is of her 61 Years Reign with one photo from every decade of her reign and The Second Collage is of her life with one photo form every decade (1926, 1937, 1947, 1957, 1967, 1977, 1987, 1997, 2007 and 2013)

Attachments

• collage.jpg
    collage.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Fotor20131130.jpg
    Fotor20131130.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 175
I made two Collages of HM Queen Elizabeth. The First Collage is of her 61 Years Reign with one photo from every decade of her reign and The Second Collage is of her life with one photo form every decade (1926, 1937, 1947, 1957, 1967, 1977, 1987, 1997, 2007 and 2013)

Both of them are works of art and beautifully composed! Thanks so much for sharing them with us! :flowers:

"Happy and glorious" - lovely collages, thankyou, BritishRoyalist.

When Prince Philip is listed as Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark, I have not seen any middle name(s) listed. When he is listed as Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, I have not seen any middle name(s) listed. Does he have a middle name?

Queen Elizabeth II (as Princess Elizabeth) married in the year 1947. Which of her bridesmaids inherited a title but did not marry?
In the Sunday Dispatch, in April of 1953, Leslie Pine, the editor of Burke's Peerage, stated:
The Queen has at her side a man of character and ability, proven in war and in peace, to assist her in the heavy responsibilities ahead.

During the summer of 1959, Queen Elizabeth II visited the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew.
The Queen visited Palm House.
She took tea in the Orangery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Philip's parents only gave him the one name. They had other issues in their marriage and lives at the time and didn't bother with extra names for their son.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Elizabeth II (as Princess Elizabeth) married in the year 1947. Which of her bridesmaids inherited a title but did not marry?

I thought they all married. I know one of her attendants at her coronation never married and inherited a title. That was Lady Jane Heathcote-Drummond-Willoughby, 18, daughter of the 3rd Earl of Ancaster, the Lord Great Chamberlain.

She inherited one of her father’s titles and fortune and became 28th Baroness Willoughby de Eresby.

Video Clip:
The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh at the 1993 Commonwealth Institute. The Queen was about to read her speech but she left her glasses behind. She then had to get Prince Philip to read the speech for her-
QUEEN FORGETS SPECS:

They're in their late 80's and early 90's now. An evening in front of the fireplace probably is more appealing to them than a night out.

Especially after the work days they put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom