General News for Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh 1: July 2008-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much - yes, that's the kind of thing I meant! It's our first trip to London (May 25-May 31...won't be there for the actual celebration...but are hoping to get some of the vibe...)

Olympics vibe is cool too. I suspect I'll be a sucker for QEII souvenirs, though.

I was there in 2002 after the events but there was still a lot of decoration throughout the nation. One thing I loved was the number of gardens that were planted to celebrate the Jubilee.

I too bought a few souvenirs of the Jubilee and will buy something online this time - have something from every Jubilee dating back to 1887 so will have to add to the collection.

I had hoped to make the trip again next year but with building a new home (got council approval finally this week) and the expenses of all of that I will be leaving travelling again until 2013 or at least Christmas 2012.

Congratulations on the council approval, ILuvBertie, a very exciting time (and will be exhausting too, I would imagine).

Thank you for the link, LumutQueen, just the thing to brighten my morning. The Queen has been around all my life, I do remember her more nervous days. These articles make me really cherish her - and Prince Philip (he seems an ideal husband for a Queen).

Interesting article, Lumutqueen, thanks for posting. That anecdote about the horse gave me a chuckle and it's really sweet to see how Philip has always been supportive of the Queen, even down to chasing her with false teeth to loosen her up!:D

Last edited:
What a great article. Prince Philip is an ideal spouse for a monarch. He knows when he's needed and when to step back.

One of my favourite Philip comments to the Queen came just as she was to leave the Abbey on Coronation Day. She was nervous and stern and didn't look happy so he quipped 'Where did you get THAT hat?' at which she cracked up and entered the daylight with a huge smile on her face. 'That hat' by the way was the Crown.

:previous:Yes, I've heard that anecdote and thought that had to be one of the most apropos remarks Philip ever made befitting an occasion.

His photos of the QM are gorgeous and so romantic in design and execution.

Last edited:
The Queen's children are to stand in for resting Duke of Edinburgh - Telegraph

Since the Queen acceded to the throne 60 years ago, the Duke of Edinburgh has walked one step behind his wife at almost every public engagement. Prince Philip’s heart operation has, however, caused courtiers to carry out a radical rethink of the couple’s working partnership.
Mandrake can disclose that the Duke, who turns 91 later this year, will carry out just one public engagement this month and one in February, the anniversary of his wife’s accession.
After that, the couple’s four children are expected to take turns accompanying their mother on many of the diamond jubilee engagements that were due to be attended by the Duke.

Personally I'd love to see the Queen appearing with Princess Anne, I imagine the Princess would be pretty similiar to the DofE in the way she performs during engagements.

Last edited:
I'm glad that a good compromise has been found. Let the kids and grandkids take the strain !

It is probably very hard for the Duke to step down. They seem to like to be together as much as possible.

As much as I think the Duke should slow down I will believe this when I see it.

I think Prince Philip will die with his boots on if he can.

I think they'd have to lock Philip in the castle to keep him from public engagements.

I think they'd have to lock Philip in the castle to keep him from public engagements.

And make sure that it's guarded if they want him to not escape :ROFLMAO:. Though I can see him fighting tooth and nail against this arrangement. May we all be blessed with the energy him and his wife possess when we reach their age.

And make sure that it's guarded if they want him to not escape :ROFLMAO:. Though I can see him fighting tooth and nail against this arrangement. May we all be blessed with the energy him and his wife possess when we reach their age.

He might try to fight them, but he also knows that this is an important year for the Queen. After losing her sister and mother during her Golden Jubilee year, I think Philip may understand that he has to stay rested and healthy to support the Queen during her Silver -- no, I mean Diamond Jubilee.

Last edited:
Is'nt it the Diamond Jubilee year? Not the silver?

Its going to be a very long and busy year for them both. Take away the Jubilee engagements... and we have the olympics where they will host many countries for a few months. I can't imagine what the coming summer schedule looks like. Will they even go to Balmoral for their vacation? I'm assuming that the olympics will be going on around the same time they usually head up north...

Thats what I thought, saw a mistake in an earlyer post and did'nt think it was right.

60 years... wow. If only we could have been a fly on the wall with her through them. Imagine all the history she has witnessed.

Is'nt it the Diamond Jubilee year? Not the silver?

Its going to be a very long and busy year for them both. Take away the Jubilee engagements... and we have the olympics where they will host many countries for a few months. I can't imagine what the coming summer schedule looks like. Will they even go to Balmoral for their vacation? I'm assuming that the olympics will be going on around the same time they usually head up north...

Yes, it's the Diamond Jubilee. I must have been thinking backwards.

I'm sure Philip will listen to his doctors and reduce his workload, but also sure he won't be happy about it and voice his opinion.

Thats what I thought, saw a mistake in an earlyer post and did'nt think it was right.

60 years... wow. If only we could have been a fly on the wall with her through them. Imagine all the history she has witnessed.

I can only imagine. They lived through a great deal.

Last edited:
That's a fascinating anecdote, Daria. Imagine your grandmother witnessing this exchange with the Queen, that's pretty amazing. Your interest in royalty had to be a genetic inheritance from her, it seems!:crown6:One can only wonder if that woman ever received a package from the Queen, or if it ever got through to her.

Last edited:
1960? Really?? I didnt think QE2 visited Russia until after the fall of the wall.
Just checked the list of state visits, she first visited the Russian federation in October 1994.

Last edited:
1960? Really?? I didnt think QE2 visited Russia until after the fall of the wall.
Just checked the list of state visits, she first visited the Russian federation in October 1994.

Thank you for the information. Like I said, this was passed down to me. I don't want to come off looking like a person who likes to make things up, and to fabricate something like this would be pointless. I will check with my source and do some research myself.

Thank you for the information. Like I said, this was passed down to me. I don't want to come off looking like a person who likes to make things up, and to fabricate something like this would be pointless. I will check with my source and do some research myself.
No problem. Family stories can get a bit muddled. If it was perhaps 1958 it might have been Queen Elizabeth of Belgium who did visit the USSR. Maybe she even went back again in 1960, don't know.

No problem. Family stories can get a bit muddled. If it was perhaps 1958 it might have been Queen Elizabeth of Belgium who did visit the USSR. Maybe she even went back again in 1960, don't know.

Did some checking and you're right; it was Elizabeth of Belgium, and not of United Kingdom. My sincere apologies. I will remove my post, since it's not relevant to the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom