The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Thanks hel for confirming that there are two services and correcting my statement to state that both services are conducted at the church itself. That's the part I was trying to find sources on and maybe my fingers are tired and overworked and refused to find anything for me.

I, for the life of me, cannot imagine one reverend with a congregation not willing to take communion to the sick and the infirm of their parishes. To be able to do this for HM, The Queen and Supreme Governor of the Church of England itself would be agreed to in a heartbeat. We will never know though exactly what occurred as it really isn't our business to know.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Thanks hel for confirming that there are two services and correcting my statement to state that both services are conducted at the church itself. That's the part I was trying to find sources on and maybe my fingers are tired and overworked and refused to find anything for me.

I, for the life of me, cannot imagine one reverend with a congregation not willing to take communion to the sick and the infirm of their parishes. To be able to do this for HM, The Queen and Supreme Governor of the Church of England itself would be agreed to in a heartbeat. We will never know though exactly what occurred as it really isn't our business to know.
I can, but he's (hopefuly) completely imaginary. #OTJaneAustenGeekery

Old 12-30-2016, 09:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Oh sheesh. If you are referring to the odious Mr. Collins, he most certainly would have jumped at any accolades that would be bestowed upon his ego that would involve his Queen. The guy was a name dropper to the nth degree.

Most likely in these days and times, he'd be a prime target for the Daily Fail too.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Oh sheesh. If you are referring to the odious Mr. Collins, he most certainly would have jumped at any accolades that would be bestowed upon his ego that would involve his Queen. The guy was a name dropper to the nth degree.
You perceive my intent. As for his eagerness to attend to someone of Her Majesty's eminence, of that, I have no doubt. But would he have been so quick to condole with all the sick and infirm of his parish? I fear that bit of condescension to be beyond him.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Multiple flower accolades to be presented to hel and Osipi for their most excellent style of writing in the manner of a certain Miss Jane Austen.

It is my sincere wish that Her Majesty is not attended by a clergy member as odious as the said Mr. Collins.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Even at her worse, HM would very easily pick up the measure of a man and quickly dispose of him with just the "look". Elizabeth has always been noted for being an excellent judge of character (and to boot, a good mimic to keep people in stitches as she imitates them in private).

I'm hoping that HM will be at church Sunday as it will squash any fears and doubts that have been going through people's mind regarding the Queen.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
No updates from the Palace so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
How do we know she still has a cold ?
As you can read in both this and the Daily Mail article that was posted here yesterday:

Is the Queen dead? No, Buckingham Palace confirms | Metro News
Quote:
The Palace spokesman said: ‘The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh continue to recover from their heavy colds.’
Old 12-31-2016, 07:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Osipi, it was my understanding that the more private communion service early in the morning is also at St. Mary Magdalene. It's the reason we get two sets of pictures on Christmas.

With that said, I'd expect that the parish priest visited her privately to administer Communion since, as far as I've ever seen, a home visit is a normal service that's available to any sick parishioner who's unable to make it to church. At least it is in the RC church.
Yes I have seen on some occasions, not all, members of the RF attending the lower key earlier service, which I imagine would be relatively short, possibly followed by a blessing.

Do the family leave the second service ahead of it's commumion service? They obviously leave before everyone else, which you would expect anyway.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
It has only been five days since Christmas. She was obviously quite ill to miss church. She isn't someone vain enough to to miss church as she doesn't want ohotos of a red nose. She takes church very seriously. It was obviously a very severe cold. At her age that is a danger for pneumonia. I guess it is possible she is fully recovered, but not a stretch to think she is still recovering. She may go to church this weekend, even if not fully recovered, if she is making progress.
A heavy cold very possibly involves a chest infection. Even if feeling well enough to be up and about, and while I don't think a red nose wouldn't deter the Queen (make-up always a help there!), a bad cough would possibly stop her from attending a public service. Coughs are annoying intruders, can well overstay their unwelcome while others have long gone.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:57 AM
Administrator

I recall at least two occasions when the Queen carried out public engagements with a cold - both of which were years and years ago, one of then being the "annus horribilis" speech. But all colds are different and the ones going around this year have been particularly long-lasting.

I am quite sure that the Queen will be thoroughly fed up with her cold by now, I know I was after two weeks!
Old 12-31-2016, 10:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
Yes I have seen on some occasions, not all, members of the RF attending the lower key earlier service, which I imagine would be relatively short, possibly followed by a blessing.

Do the family leave the second service ahead of it's commumion service? They obviously leave before everyone else, which you would expect anyway.
Although the details for the Christmas service are no longer on the website, I'd feel safe assuming that, based on the schedule on the Sandringham churches website, the second service is actually a Mattins service, and likely has no communion.

Services — Sandringham Churches
Old 12-31-2016, 11:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen may be too ill to attend church on New Year's Day, with decision expected on Sunday morning

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-31-2016, 01:42 PM
Courtier

The Queen is still sick? Something not right here. Don't want to set off alarms but I tihnk it could be more serious then what they are really telling us.

Both Queen Victoria and King George V were sick at their last Christmas and both cases worsen in The New Year.

Wishing The Queen a quick and speedy recovery
Old 12-31-2016, 02:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Hoping we get a pic or update of her soon.

LaRae
Old 12-31-2016, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen may still not be well enough to attend church on New Year’s Day | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
The spokeswoman said: 'The Queen is continuing to recover from her heavy cold and is still in residence at Sandringham.'
She added the Duke of Edinburgh was also continuing to recover.
A Royal aide added: 'We probably will not know what is happening until the morning.'
Old 12-31-2016, 03:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
The Queen is still sick? Something not right here. Don't want to set off alarms but I tihnk it could be more serious then what they are really telling us.

Both Queen Victoria and King George V were sick at their last Christmas and both cases worsen in The New Year.

Wishing The Queen a quick and speedy recovery
Doubt it's more than a bad cold. As Jacknch noted, the colds going around this year have been particularly long-lasting and cruddy. I caught one the last week of November and spent the next two weeks absolutely miserable. I finally felt, mostly, normal the week before Christmas and even now, four and a half weeks later, I still have a bit of a lingering cough. Granted, I don't have doctors on call 24/7 and didn't go to see a doctor at all because I'm stubborn like that, but... Everyone I know who has had a cold this year has wound up with a nasty, cruddy bug worse than the ones last winter. Point is, I could well-envision HM staying home two weekends in a row.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Exactly. Colds are not curable, you have to let them run their course. They can go fir days or weeks. No matter the good doctors, the older you are, often the longer it takes to recover from even a cold. It has been less than two weeks. Not time to worry she is on her death bed.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:22 PM
Serene Highness

If the Queen attends church tomorrow we can all breathe a sigh of relief. If not, there's still no cause for concern. I scrutinized both sets of Christmas Day RF going to church photos and no one looked particularly preoccupied. More telling -if something very serious was wrong w/ the Queen I would expect that Charles, Anne, Andrew & Edward would have remained at Sandringham & there's no evidence that they have altered their normal post Christmas routines. Harry, at least, has been spotted in London having lunch post Christmas. If HM's doctors have ordered her to rest & recover, I'm glad that she's doing so.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Colds aren't always easy to get over. Earlier this year, my cold lasted for three months, including three days of being in the hospital.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-31-2016, 05:25 PM
Nobility

HM is in the unique position of having her every move scrutinized all the time. If she were to appear in public now with a runny nose or a bad cough that might be worse than if she just stays away until she's better. Also, if there was any kind of imminent event or turn for the worse, we would see all kinds of movement, such as Will and Kate heading to Sandringham or something.

That said, it would be nice to get an update. Wishing HM all the best in 2017!

Closed Thread

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, royal trips, royal visits, talents