The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Majesty

Queen's 10 favourite pieces of music revealed - BBC News

Old 06-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Serene Highness

It had never occurred to me until I was reading this article that Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, was perhaps named after Phillip's father, Prince Andrew of Greece. I'd always focused on Prince Phillip's mother, Alice, as her story is fascinating and I sort of ignored Prince Phillip's 'playboy' father.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

As Dman pointed out here some days ago, the sore on the Queen's right leg did not seem to heal. And I noticed during the 90th birthday celebrations and Royal Ascot that she now has a plaster on it:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...5997852730.jpg
Old 06-15-2016, 03:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
As Dman pointed out here some days ago, the sore on the Queen's right leg did not seem to heal. And I noticed during the 90th birthday celebrations and Royal Ascot that she now has a plaster on it:
Yeah, she has decided to cover it up to heal. Not pleasant stuff...

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-16-2016, 10:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
They all are pretty good pictures but I went with HM, Charles and Camilla at the Braemer games. Something really must have tickled the funny bone pretty good to get them roaring with laughter as they were in the picture.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen asks dinner guests for 'three good reasons' why Britain should be in EU | Daily Mail Online

EU referendum: Queen asks guests to give her three reasons why Britain should remain in Europe
Quote:
The Queen has been canvassing opinion on the EU debate by asking dinner companions: "Give me three good reasons why Britain should be part of Europe."

Her Majesty's biographer, Robert Lacey, reported the Queen's comments and suggested they may mean the Queen favours withdrawal from the European Union.
As Nicholas Witchell and other people who follow HM closely have said, she always ask questions like this, but it is only in recent years that people have begun to tell the press what she says (which annoys me). And as a author said some time ago, she is much more vocal than Charles.

Quote:
Buckingham Palace would neither confirm nor deny that the Queen had been debating the merits of Brexit in private, but royal sources pointed out that the words attributed to the Queen were "a question not a statement".

However the leading nature of the alleged question adds weight to previous claims that the Queen would like Britain to pull out of the EU.

Last month the press regulator found that the Sun newspaper had been guilty of "significantly misleading" its readers when it printed the headline "Queen backs Brexit" above a story about the Queen complaining about Brussels to Nick Clegg.

One royal insider said of the latest report: "She appears to be asking a question, not making a statement. She is not expressing a view."
As I've and others says, she ask tough questions, but they are not statements.

Quote:
The Queen is, officially at least, politically neutral, but she intervened in the Scottish referendum debate in 2014 by suggesting in a conversation with a member of the public, which she knew was likely to be reported by the Press, that she hoped Scots would "think very carefully" before casting their vote.

It was seen as a clear indication that the Queen wanted Scotland to remain part of the United Kingdom.
Yes the Queen wanted Scotland to remain part of the United Kingdom, but she did not intervene in the Scottish referendum debate. She just said that people should "think very carefully", does the Telegraph (who is turning in to the Daily Fail) think that is an intervention?

And it was the Telegraph and politicians from all parties who asked for an intervention from her, but the palace said this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...lace-says.html
Quote:
Buckingham Palace issued a stern statement in response to suggestions that the Queen might intervene saying that she was above politics and “those in political office have a duty to ensure that this remains the case”.

A spokesman said: "The Sovereign's constitutional impartiality is an established principle of our democracy and one which the Queen has demonstrated throughout her reign.

"As such the Monarch is above politics and those in political office have a duty to ensure that this remains the case.

"Any suggestion that the Queen should wish to influence the outcome of the current referendum campaign is categorically wrong. This is a matter for the people of Scotland."
Quote:
Mr Lacey made his claim about the Queen questioning dinner guests in a blog for the Daily Beast website.

He told The Telegraph: "She asked the question in the context of a general debate - she loves a bit of forthright discussion and this sort of remark is tossed around the dinner table like a ping pong ball. That is the way she frames her questions."
Exactly, that's just the way she frames her questions.

Quote:
A spokesman for Buckingham Palace said: "We would not comment on private conversations the Queen may or may not have had, but the Queen is above politics, has remained politically neutral for the 64 years of her reign and we are very clear that the EU referendum is a matter for the British people."
Yes, the Queen is above politics and (as the palace says) she has remained politically neutral for the 64 years of her reign. The Telegraph said the same thing in April, but they are now trying to politicize the Queen and uses her to gain support for their own view.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

OMG, I'm getting tired of this nonsense. The Sun/Express front pages:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClgVEzMWEAE7t5T.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClgLy19WgAEv_tc.jpg
Old 06-21-2016, 08:12 PM
Serene Highness

and at dinner the next night she probably posed "give me 3 reason why we should leave" - she was inspiring conversation.... and asking people to think.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
and at dinner the next night she probably posed "give me 3 reason why we should leave" - she was inspiring conversation.... and asking people to think.
This is just the rags Sun/Express who tries to use her to gain support for what they believe in. It's disgusting.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:13 AM
Courtier

There's no doubt in mind whatsoever that privately HM would support Brexit, as she did Scotland remaining in the UK. I truly cannot imagine her admiring the way the UK's relationship with the EU has developed.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

I should have known that being an article from the Guardian that it would end up being on the snarky side.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

If possible, I think I love and admire HM even more after reading this article.

Queen surprises pub goers by dropping into her local in Edinburgh
Quote:
The Queen shocked regulars at one of Edinburgh's best-known pubs by dropping in for a bite to eat after a day at the races, it has emerged.

She visited The Sheep Heid Inn on Friday night after giving staff an hour’s notice of her impending visit.

The small royal party is understood to have taken a window seat and to have ordered two portions of lamb rump, one sea bass fillet, a martini and a half bottle of white wine.

Main meals are advertised at around 16.50 on the pub's regular menu but it is not known which of the dishes the Queen ordered.

One member of staff said they had been “sworn to secrecy”, adding: “I have no idea how her visit got out there.” Staff were also ordered to delete any photographs they had taken during the visit.

The Queen made the secret visit to Scotland’s oldest bar, according to the Edinburgh Evening News, during her stay at nearby Holyrood Palace, her official residence north of the border.

One startled customer revealed their astonishment in a TripAdvisor review. RosC17 wrote: "Absolutely amazed when Her Majesty the Queen arrived for dinner with friends and sat at the table next to us!

"What a lovely lady. Security guys everywhere but so unobtrusive that you hardly noticed them.

"What an honour for your excellent front of house and kitchen teams. We have enjoyed many visits to the Sheep Heid Inn, but this was particularly memorable, Five stars plus a gold star!”
Old 07-13-2016, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Unfortunately at her age things take a good deal longer to heal fully and this one looked quite nasty so it is taking time. Best to cover it to stop any risk of infection

Old 07-13-2016, 05:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wouldn't be surprised either if her doctor told her to stay off of it as much as she can and keep the leg elevated. Somehow I can't picture HM sitting for a long time with her feet up.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Heir Apparent

More about the pub story:
Queen Elizabeth enjoys a meal in Holyrood after a day at Mussleburgh Racecourse | Daily Mail Online
Old 08-05-2016, 10:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Has Queen Elizabeth II shared the red dispatch boxes with Prince Philip?
Old 08-05-2016, 11:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Has Queen Elizabeth II shared the red dispatch boxes with Prince Philip?
I don't think so.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

I wouldn't think she would either. Its the duty of the monarch. I do know that Charles also gets boxes but I think his are blue. The monarch and her heir is how it should be.

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, royal trips, royal visits, talents