The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #501  
Old 03-09-2016, 02:09 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,808
Today's developments:

Buckingham Palace makes official complaint as Queen is drawn into The Sun's Brexit row over EU referendum - Telegraph

The Sun releases front page
Quote:
The Queen was drawn into a row over the EU referendum after it was claimed that she has expressed concerns about the direction of Europe during private conversations.

It was reported that the Queen had made critical remarks about the European Union during a lunch attended by Nick Clegg, the former deputy prime minister, during the last Parliament.
Michael Gove at lunch
Quote:
The Sun claimed that the Queen made her comments about the European Union during a lunch with Nick Clegg at Windsor Castle in 2011.

According to Court Circulars, there was indeed a meeting between Her Majesty and the former Deputy Prime Minister at Windsor Castle on 7 April 2011.

It shows that among the other guests were Brexiteers including justice secretary Michael Gove and Cheryl Gillan.
Gove: 'No idea' who source is
Quote:
Friends of Michael Gove tell the Evening Standard's Joe Murphy that the Justice Secretary has "no idea" who was the source of The Sun's story about the Queen and the EU.
Nick Clegg: Story is 'nonsense'
Quote:
Nick Clegg tells Good Morning Britain that The Sun’s story about the Queen’s stance on the EU is "nonsense".

Speaking about the newspaper’s report, the former Liberal Democrat leader said: “I have no recollection of this whatsoever, but the bigger point is I just think it’s wrong that people who want to take us out of the European Union, to now try and drag the Queen for their own purposes into this European Referendum debate. The Sun story is nonsense. It is not true, I have certainly, absolutely no recollection of a conversation like that which I suspect I would have remembered if it had taken place.”
Buckingham Palace complaint
Quote:
Buckingham Palace has written to the press watchdog to register a complaint over claims that the Queen voiced strong Eurosceptic views during a lunch with the former deputy prime minister.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: "We can confirm that we have this morning written to the chairman of the Independent Press Standards Organisation to register a complaint about the front page story in today's Sun newspaper.

"The complaint relates to Clause One of the Editors' Code of Practice."
'Absurd' Queen would intervene
Quote:
Constitutional expert Professor Vernon Bogdanor told the Press Association it was "absurd" that the Queen would break from her tradition of political impartiality after decades as monarch.

"I'm very dubious. The Queen speaks and acts on the advice of ministers," Prof Bogdanor said.

He added: "The Queen's been on the throne for over 60 years. She's acted constitutionally throughout. It's absurd to suggest that now she would break from that tradition."
Labour raise complaint
Quote:
Labour MP Wes Streeting has written to Whitehall's top civil servant, Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood, to demand an investigation into whether the Queen's supposed comments were leaked by members of the Government attending Privy Council.

In his letter, Mr Streeting told Sir Jeremy: "If anyone present at the meeting in question were found to have disclosed information about what was discussed it would be an extremely serious breach of the rules of the Privy Council, and this possibility should therefore be thoroughly investigated and acted on accordingly.

"If it is found that none of those who were present at the meeting in questions are implicated, I urge you to establish which 'impeccably placed' individuals were involved in making such allegations to a national newspaper."
No10 refuse to comment
Quote:
A senior Downing Street source declined to comment on the report, saying only that the Palace and Mr Clegg had already made statements.

Mr Cameron spoke with Mr Gove on Wednesday morning, but it is understood that their conversation revolved around preparations for Prime Minister's Questions in the Commons, rather than the row over the Queen's alleged comments. The Justice Secretary was not present for the weekly PMQs session.
The Sun stands by story
Quote:
The Sun has said it stands by its story about the Queen voicing strong Eurosceptic views after Buckingham Palace said it has written to the press watchdog to register a complaint over the claims.

The newspaper said the Queen vented her anger with Brussels at the pro-EU former deputy prime minister Nick Clegg during a lunch at Windsor Castle in 2011.

In a statement, the Sun said: "The Sun stands by its story, which was based upon two impeccable sources and presented in a robust, accessible fashion. The Sun will defend this complaint vigorously."
My favourite royal correspondent/expert Nicholas Witchell (I know that Charles don't agree with me) reports from the BBC studio.

I haven't seen the complete report since I now live permanently in Norway, but I almost always agrees with what he says, and he's always protective/caring when he talks about the Queen. The newspapers and the BBC's other royal correspondent Peter Hunt should take a note and listen to what he says at the end of this short video.

Video:
Palace complains to watchdog over Queen 'Brexit' story - BBC News

Edit: This it not the video I meant - The BBC have now replaced it with a longer video where he reports from Buckingham Palace.
__________________

__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
  #502  
Old 03-09-2016, 02:24 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,832
Well, I think there was talk of The Queen being dragged into this situation, and there you have it. I like that The Queen and palace is standing up for themselves on this story.
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #503  
Old 03-09-2016, 05:50 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,808
Thursday's front pages: The Mail continues to reveals their so-called secrets about the Queen, the Express says she's not amused, the Sun writes about Her Majesty's fury at Cameron with an unflattering picture of the Queen on their front page, while the Telegraph says that Gove faces Queen Brexit questions:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdI49LsWwAAbwFL.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdI0qKTW0AAHsby.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdI9ScYWAAAiQpL.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdI2wCyW8AQ7XLH.jpg
__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
  #504  
Old 03-09-2016, 06:07 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ipswich, United Kingdom
Posts: 772
The papers have gone too far now.
  #505  
Old 03-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Orleans, United States
Posts: 1,449
I'm pretty sure that Clegg did deny it categorically from the start, and the Queen's reps also said they weren't commenting on specific allegations BUT they did pointedly say that the Queen has always remained neutral.
  #506  
Old 03-10-2016, 12:47 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,832
Video:
The editor of The Sun has told ITV News the newspaper is not afraid to reveal more details about the Queen's views on the EU amid a furore over its "Queen Backs Brexit" front page splash-

Home - ITNSource News
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #507  
Old 03-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
No doubt HMQ HAS an opinion on the matter, but throughout her long reign she has been scrupulous in avoiding anything that could influence public opinion in critical matters of policy.

The attempt by the [Republican] Murdoch owned press to involve the Monarch in this controversy is especially cheap, but NOTHING surprises from him...

Gove [a noted Brexiter] also has questions to answer, altho' Clegg [who is widely disliked] appears to be playing an honest hand here.
  #508  
Old 03-10-2016, 01:33 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,808
He begins to feel the pressure, and is struggling to answer the questions - watch this video:

The Sun's editor-in-chief Tony Gallagher says he is "in no doubt" the article is accurate:
The Sun 'completely confident' over 'Queen backs Brexit' story - BBC News
__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
  #509  
Old 03-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,832
The Queen try to stay out of stuff like this, but once in a blue moon, she may let something slip.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #510  
Old 03-10-2016, 02:08 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Video:
The editor of The Sun has told ITV News the newspaper is not afraid to reveal more details about the Queen's views on the EU amid a furore over its "Queen Backs Brexit" front page splash-

Home - ITNSource News
The entire interview - he was not pressured in the same way as he was in the BBC interview which I posted above in my previous post:
__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
  #511  
Old 03-10-2016, 02:21 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,912
The Sun is in a tight spot. The Brexit referendum was only called this year. Even if for the sake of argument the Queen did say she was worried about the direction of the EU, that doesn't mean she supports either leaving or staying. You can be concerned without being partisan.

The Sun's headline was misleading then. We don't know the Queen's view on Brexit

The publisher's code states the headline must be supported by the text. I can't see that here. Tony Gallagher may be a dead man walking
  #512  
Old 03-10-2016, 05:33 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,808
BritishMonarchy ‏@BritishMonarchy
The Queen, as Head of the Commonwealth, has made a private donation to the relief effort in #Fiji following #CycloneWinston

BritishMonarchy ‏@BritishMonarchy
Following the devastating impact of #CycloneWinston, The Queen sent the following message to the people of #Fiji

As the people of Fiji recover from the devastating impact of Tropical Cyclone Winston, I send my sincere condolences to those who have lost loved ones. My thoughts are also with those who have seen their homes and property ruined and are starting the hard work of rebuilding. I know how resilient and resourceful the people of Fiji are.

ELIZABETH R.
__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
  #513  
Old 03-13-2016, 10:24 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Exquisite timing. Mrs Elizabeth Windsor of SW1 feels traduced by Britain’s biggest-selling newspaper. She takes her case to the Independent Press Standards Organisation just as this body – backed by Britain’s biggest-selling newspaper, inter alia – struggles for complete credibility while a rival regulator snaps at its heels. What do you say about a Sun front page claiming “Queen backs Brexit”? You condemn it and insist on an upfront correction. But that’s the easy part.

It’s easy because there’s nothing in the Sun’s body-text report that justifies those three lead words in big, booming type. If taken at face value they, at the most, provide secondhand evidence of a couple of conversations up to five years old in the midst of eurozone crisis – when no referendum had been agreed and “Brexit” might as well have been some new patent loo cleaner.

Clause one of the Ipso code says: “The press must take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information or images, including headlines not supported by the text.” Thank you and goodnight, m’lud.
Read more: Anonymity hides not only the source, but the truth, from the Sun’s readers | Media | The Guardian
  #514  
Old 03-13-2016, 02:20 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,808
I know that this is the Guardian and I know that this Peter Preston guy is a republican, but the country he is living in is a constitutional monarchy whether he likes it or not, and Mrs Elizabeth Windsor is the Queen of the United Kingdom, so he should grow up and deal with it.

President Obama will visit the UK next month on his way to Germany and the big question is: Will he meet the Queen? The Reagans did have a farewell audience with her in June 1988, the Clintons in December 2000 and the Bushes in June 2008.

Barack and Michelle Obama has met the Queen many times: They had an audience with her during their visit in April 2009 when he attended G20 summit meeting, they also met her during their state visit to the UK in May 2011, and he met her again in France in June 2014.

Michelle did also met her when she and her daughters visited the UK in June 2009 and when she attended the olympics in July 2012.

He didn't meet her during his visit in June 2013 when he attended the G8 summit meeting because it was in Belfast or during his visit in September 2014 because it was in Wales and the Queen was at Balmoral.
__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
  #515  
Old 03-13-2016, 06:33 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Michael Gove's decision to back a “Brexit” has stopped him facing the sack over allegedly leaking the details of a private conversation the Queen had about Europe, senior Government sources have said.

Allies of the Prime Minister have said that the only reason Mr Gove is not facing the prospect of losing his job is because it would provide a huge boost to the campaign to leave the European Union.

Mr Gove, the current Lord Chancellor, was last week implicated in leaking details of an exchange between the Queen and four members of the Privy Council in April 2011.

The conversation was reported in The Sun newspaper as evidence that the "Queen backs Brexit", dragging Her Majesty into the row over Britain's EU membership for the first time.
Read more: Michael Gove's alleged Queen comments are a 'sackable offence' Government sources say - Telegraph
  #516  
Old 03-13-2016, 07:31 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
President Obama will visit the UK next month on his way to Germany and the big question is: Will he meet the Queen? The Reagans did have a farewell audience with her in June 1988, the Clintons in December 2000 and the Bushes in June 2008.

Barack and Michelle Obama has met the Queen many times: They had an audience with her during their visit in April 2009 when he attended G20 summit meeting, they also met her during their state visit to the UK in May 2011, and he met her again in France in June 2014.

Michelle did also met her when she and her daughters visited the UK in June 2009 and when she attended the olympics in July 2012.

He didn't meet her during his visit in June 2013 when he attended the G8 summit meeting because it was in Belfast or during his visit in September 2014 because it was in Wales and the Queen was at Balmoral.
This is very tricky. The UK media are saying that the purpose of President Obama's visit is to support the British Government in its aim to stay in the EU. Therefore his visit is seen as entirely political.

There is also the fact that both sides of the EU debate have tried to drag the Royals, and particularly the Queen, into the debate. And HMQ is determined not to be involved.

On this basis, I would say that regardless of the fact that HMQ would have to meet with the President if the Government requested it, it will place her in a very difficult position.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #517  
Old 03-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,152
I am sure President Obama will squeeze more trips to Europe in the time left to January 20, 2017.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
  #518  
Old 03-13-2016, 09:03 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is very tricky. The UK media are saying that the purpose of President Obama's visit is to support the British Government in its aim to stay in the EU. Therefore his visit is seen as entirely political.

There is also the fact that both sides of the EU debate have tried to drag the Royals, and particularly the Queen, into the debate. And HMQ is determined not to be involved.

On this basis, I would say that regardless of the fact that HMQ would have to meet with the President if the Government requested it, it will place her in a very difficult position.
I thought about that too, and you're right, it may place her in a very difficult position. But if this is his last trip to the UK before he leaves office, then I actually think he will meet her.

And if the purpose of Obama's visit is to support the British Government in its aim to stay in the EU, then I think it will backfire, because he isn't exactly popular in the UK. There are not many Brits who will listen to what he says.

This is not a political forum and I'm not trying to start a discussion about Obama here, but I don't understand what Brits have against him. I actually like him and thinks he's been a fairly good president (especially considering the economic situation when he took office.)
__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
  #519  
Old 03-13-2016, 09:10 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I thought about that too, and you're right, it may place her in a very difficult position. But if this is his last trip to the UK before he leaves office, then I actually think he will meet her.

And if the purpose of Obama's visit is to support the British Government in its aim to stay in the EU, then I think it will backfire, because he isn't exactly popular in the UK. There are not many Brits who will listen to what he says.

This is not a political forum and I'm not trying to start a discussion about Obama here, but I don't understand what Brits have against him. I actually like him and thinks he's been a fairly good president (especially considering the economic situation when he took office.)
Not generally disliked IMO but anything seen as interfering in an internal issue will not be appreciated and Cameron should not have invited him on that basis. If he comes and it can be scheduled I agree she would meet him but it is not good in the current climate.

If a meeting can be scheduled for post June, then it should.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #520  
Old 03-13-2016, 09:23 PM
ROYAL NORWAY's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: somewhere, Norway
Posts: 3,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Not generally disliked IMO but anything seen as interfering in an internal issue will not be appreciated and Cameron should not have invited him on that basis. If he comes and it can be scheduled I agree she would meet him but it is not good in the current climate.

If a meeting can be scheduled for post June, then it should.
I agree! And just imagine how the press will cover it, especially if they are in a bad mood: The Queen tells Obama that she wants UK to leave etc.
__________________

__________________
Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and girls and boys who love each other. King Harald V speaking in 2016.
Closed Thread

Tags
auction, collectibles, cooking, environment, market report, meals, memorabilia, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal marriage, royal trips, royal visits, talents


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General News for Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip Part 2: March 2017 JessRulz Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh 1008 10-08-2020 02:43 AM
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 19: October 2008-March 2009 Warren Current Events Archive 511 03-27-2009 11:15 AM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi althorp american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry british british royals chittagong countess of snowdon daisy diana princess of wales duke of cambridge dutch dutch royals family life family tree future games gustaf vi adolf haakon vii hereditary grand duke guillaume hill history house of glucksburg imperial household interesting israel jack brooksbank jacobite japan jewelry jumma kids movie king willem-alexander książ castle list of rulers mailing maxima nepal nepalese royal family norwegian royal family prince charles prince charles of luxembourg princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess elizabeth princess ribha pronunciation queen louise queen maud queen maxima royal balls royal events royal family royal jewels royal wedding snowdon spain speech spencer family taiwan thailand thai royal family tracts unsubscribe videos wedding gown wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×