General News about the Sussex Family, Part Two: April-August 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're also paying for the car. In a way if its connected to their security service. Its kind of like those infomercials you see on TV where they plug the merchandise and then comes "but wait! There's MORE!" Included in the cost of their security is a very secure car this is used to secure their clients. Good package for the Sussexes if this really is the deal surrounding their security.

I could use a deal like this now. Buy an ice chai tea latte and have an extra bonus of a few cannolis in there to go with it. Dang... now I want both of those!

Cadillac has that Onstar service which is great. Onstar is like a road trip butler.

Something else just popped into my mind -- female modesty concerns when exiting a car. Diana was very good at it, despite mostly traveling in low-slung sedans. Something a bit higher off the ground offers a much more graceful egress and less up-skirt opportunities for agressive paps.

Last edited:
Cadillac has that Onstar service which is great. Onstar is like a road trip butler.

Something else just popped into my mind -- female modesty concerns when exiting a car. Diana was very good at it, despite mostly traveling in low-slung sedans. Something a bit higher off the ground offers a much more graceful egress and less up-skirt opportunities for agressive paps.

Now that's an excellent thing to point out and very true but I seriously doubt that was a priority when deciding on this.

I use cheap GPS service. Hubby goes out on errands and i track where he is by checking the bank account. "yeps... he got the groceries". "yeps... he stopped at Burger King and the next stop is home." Only fly in that ointment is when he uses cash. :lol:

These quotes are rather interesting side-by-side. The first essentially accuses posters of believing whatever they want to believe about the Sussexes, believing or disbelieving things based on what they want to believe. The second, given a direct quote by the Sussexes from their own mouth/ hand, goes on to say that you choose not to believe it, and wish to interpret it your own way-- in other words, that you choose to interpret even what they themselves say in a way that confirms what you want to believe about them.

The sword swings both ways.

When I first came to these forums it was always on a fact finding mission. I soon found out that there is a freedom here of expression where information is received, then repeated here, then comes the assumptions, then accusations and its absolutely mind boggling. Some of it is absolute 'hog wash' (Daily Mail....omg...horrible). However, after a while I became more comfortable with many of the fine folks commenting here. You start to know their good side and sometimes even their bad, but they always bring something. Woven in here and there is the truth and so one must be very patient and accepting of others opinions. Some even from time to time change their opinions and for some crazy reason I find much respect for them. The sword does swing both ways but in the hands of a maniac it swings all over the place....that makes it a fun dance for me..!! Lol..!! I'll pipe down now...I promise.

Last edited:
It wasn't always reciprocal.

In years past, there was always some "poor relation"...an aunt or cousin who latched onto a wealthy relative and became a "companion."
Or, as in Downton Abbey, the estate manager (who later inherited the estate).

Then there was an anecdote I seem to vaguely remember being told that once upon a time, when Queen Mary of Teck came to visit, it became a kind of thing to do to "stow away" items you don't want her to see. With her status and being queen, if she admired something, etiquette required making it a gift to her and Queen Mary was quite the collector of things.

"There are accounts of the queen admiring a choice object in a stately home and making clear that she would be pleased to receive it as a gift or purchase it for a nominal sum. Stories of these conversations spread among the elite, leading to certain aristocratic families hiding their most prized possessions from view during a royal visit to avoid pressure to give or sell these items to the queen. While Queen Mary was certainly acquisitive, and pressured aristocratic families and London antique dealers alike to contribute to her collections of gems, figurines and miniatures, her behaviour did not match the definition of kleptomania. While a kleptomaniac experiences a recurrent inability to resist the impulse to steal unnecessary items of little value, Queen Mary focused specifically on acquiring antiques, jewels, miniatures and figurines with the goal of restoring and expanding the royal collection."

https://www.historyextra.com/period...-she-steal-was-kleptomaniac-collection-facts/

But I digress.

Plus, Harry is tall, and I am sure the security guys are strapping. We can't expect them to all jam into a Prius.

Not that they have to use a Prius, but a Prius has enough legroom for Harry to fit in!

I use cheap GPS service. Hubby goes out on errands and i track where he is by checking the bank account. "yeps... he got the groceries". "yeps... he stopped at Burger King and the next stop is home." Only fly in that ointment is when he uses cash. :lol:

Try the Life360 app, it is very good and free.

The press wrong stated they were paid for the JP Morgan event talking about Diana and his mental health. Then they backtracked. They were just apparently guests of the summit. It was a networking event. But the initial report obviously got more coverage than the correction.

That is pretty typical of their coverage though.

Everyone is allowed their opinions. No one really knows anything as fact about what happened. It is all projection based on what we believe is to be true, whether that is the case or not. And that is fine.

Though I do think it is interesting that people have already determined their future. Shall be interesting to watch it all play out in the next year.

The press is not one amorphous group, but made up of lots of different journalists and organisations, with their own views and agendas. They do not all sing off the same hymn sheet, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The British tabloids did and do sing from the same hymn sheet as far as the Sussexes are concerned. And that includes demonising Meghan with completely negative and sometimes ridiculous articles at the rate of sometimes three a day, from October 2018 to January 2020. Also, these papers more often than not copy stories from the original tabloid so the stories spread.

The British tabloids did and do sing from the same hymn sheet as far as the Sussexes are concerned. And that includes demonising Meghan with completely negative and sometimes ridiculous articles at the rate of sometimes three a day, from October 2018 to January 2020. Also, these papers more often than not copy stories from the original tabloid so the stories spread.

I do not want to go over old ground again, but for that unique feat, we only have H&M and their handling of the media to thank for. But for now, lets leave it at that. :flowers:

Nobody made Harry leave the Army. He chose to leave.

Then there was an anecdote I seem to vaguely remember being told that once upon a time, when Queen Mary of Teck came to visit, it became a kind of thing to do to "stow away" items you don't want her to see. With her status and being queen, if she admired something, etiquette required making it a gift to her and Queen Mary was quite the collector of things.

"There are accounts of the queen admiring a choice object in a stately home and making clear that she would be pleased to receive it as a gift or purchase it for a nominal sum. Stories of these conversations spread among the elite, leading to certain aristocratic families hiding their most prized possessions from view during a royal visit to avoid pressure to give or sell these items to the queen. While Queen Mary was certainly acquisitive, and pressured aristocratic families and London antique dealers alike to contribute to her collections of gems, figurines and miniatures, her behaviour did not match the definition of kleptomania. While a kleptomaniac experiences a recurrent inability to resist the impulse to steal unnecessary items of little value, Queen Mary focused specifically on acquiring antiques, jewels, miniatures and figurines with the goal of restoring and expanding the royal collection."

https://www.historyextra.com/period...-she-steal-was-kleptomaniac-collection-facts/

But I digress.

She was a bit of a kleptomaniac and would often just help herself. She was also a bit annoying as a house guest because one is grand, with a lot of staff, and she would take over the house and there was no use hinting for her to leave. She spent the second world war at Badminton House, some house with her niece and family (brought the Kent grandchildren too). Took over the whole place.

Exactly. And along with that, any monies that they're "helped" with or the details of what they do to make money (outside of the obvious public angle of whatever organization they open up) falls into the realm of their "private" lives as members of the British Royal Family that are financially independent from the "Firm".

Charles could buy them an island to raise penguins on in the Solomon Islands and totally gift it to them out of his private income if he wanted to. The public isn't required to be made aware of any of it.

Charles has other people to take care of financially, He has William who is working for the firm. There are other relatives again who work for the Firm and are helped by him or the queen. He tries to support charities. Why should he have to help a son who has claimed that he wants to work for himself and make his own money?

But I digress.
what has that got to do with Harry and Meghan "borrowing" a house from someone they dont even know

Charles has other people to take care of financially, He has William who is working for the firm. There are other relatives again who work for the Firm and are helped by him or the queen. He tries to support charities. Why should he have to help a son who has claimed that he wants to work for himself and make his own money?

I think also people think this is endless wealth that he has. The Duchy of Cornwall, where Harry's 'help' will come from is publically accountable. It isn't for lifes luxuries. I think people really believe they are rolling in it. They really aren't.

Ever consider this? Royals that work for the "Firm" do not draw any kind of paycheck. It costs money to do the things they do. Clothing, transportation, office staff to handle the itinerary etc. The way I see Charles giving them that $2M is like a CEO expending green dollars for his employee's expense account.

That money did not just go into their pockets to fly off to Tanzania for a weekend here and there. It was for necessities to do their work for the "Firm". The Sovereign Grant covered some of the operational costs of the Sussex Royal foundation and Charles covered more. The Queen does the same for the expenses of the rest of the family outside of Charles'.

They were told that, like any other business, that if you're not working for the "Firm", you cannot use the "trademarks" exclusively belonging to the "Firm" at another venture of your own. You don't see anyone working at Burger King wearing a McDonald's uniform do you? You're not going to see Trump wearing a blue tie with red, white and blue donkeys on it either. Everything and anything stated about financial independence was related to the "business" side of the "divorce" agreement.

This would happen with any parent company dealing with a department in the business that were branching out into its own entity. Negotiations and conditions and agreements made.

Im not sure what this is about, unless it is to say that Harry is now setting up his own business....If he had just wanted to leave to lead a private life, theres no reason why he should not use his HRH...

I think also people think this is endless wealth that he has. The Duchy of Cornwall, where Harry's 'help' will come from is publically accountable. It isn't for lifes luxuries. I think people really believe they are rolling in it. They really aren't.

Oh he's rich all right. but he has chosen to use the money he has, from the Duchy of Cornwall to support his family so that they can do their work and helps to pay their bills.. and to help charities and he has tried ot use the Duchy for the benefit of its tenants as well as to maximize income. If he is still filtering 2 million to Harry in a few years time, its going to impinge on other people that he has tried ot use his money to help.. and its alos going to look very bad.

Why do we need to know anything about their finances? Even being a Duke and Duchess they should have privacy. They have been pretty darn quiet trying to get on with a new life. Perhaps every person should release all finances so the world knows. It is not right is it. No one would like it. We really do not know what they are doing everyone is guessing!
It’s the negativity written, the media frenzy, and nosey people that are causing big issues.
No matter who Harry married there would have been a HUGE problem. This problem started way before Megan, it was kept under wraps by the Firm. Why else did Harry’s ex girlfriends not want to get involved with the Firm...they knew. The Firm should have let Harry continue his Military career. He would have been happy, out of the way of the Firm. He was a third wheel, without Megan. Everyone knew it.

This very sad....what will everyone say about Prince Louis in the future? What will Prince George treat Prince Louis like? PL better start planning now to have his own career away from the Firm....yes I know he is a young child, but he better start planning. JMOO

Why would there be a "HUGE Problem" abut whoever he married?? He could have stayed with the Army for a longer time (though he would have been expected at some stage to do royal duties) but he chose not to. He was doing a desk job and didn't like it and left.. If he was so unhappy with this cruel "Firm", why didnt he leave years ago, earn his own living and give up royal life?

Oh he's rich all right. but he has chosen to use the money he has, from the Duchy of Cornwall to support his family so that they can do their work and helps to pay their bills.. and to help charities and he has tried ot use the Duchy for the benefit of its tenants as well as to maximize income. If he is still filtering 2 million to Harry in a few years time, its going to impinge on other people that he has tried ot use his money to help.. and its alos going to look very bad.

Cash wise they aren't. Not for what you would expect for people of their homes, palaces, jewels. They have loads of money. Way more than us but less private money than some other aristocrats in the UK. The Duchy of Cornwall cannot just be fluttered away. All accounts are public documents.

Cash wise they aren't. Not for what you would expect for people of their homes, palaces, jewels. They have loads of money. Way more than us but less private money than some other aristocrats in the UK. The Duchy of Cornwall cannot just be fluttered away. All accounts are public documents.

Of course they are rich.. They have plenty of money, but no money is unlimited. Charles has done pretty well with the Duchy of Cornwall and it brings a good income and he has private wealth as well. But I see no reason why it should go to Harry, when H has left royal life and wants to earn his own. Charles probably hopes that Harry will come back, that he'll find it harder than he expected to make his own money.. but I dont think the public wil want H back..

You are conflating the management of the Duchy of Cornwall's assets with how Charles chooses to use the income he derives from the Duchy of Cornwall.

How Charles chooses to spend his income is his choice. He has professionalized his position as Prince of Wales and used his Duchy income to "fund the public, private and charitable activities" of him and his family. He has also communicated his activities and achievements as Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall to, among other things, get positive PR for himself, and for that reason, and general prudence he will not flutter away the income he derives from the Duchy but AFAIK there is no formal requirement that he justify how he chooses to spend the income he derives.

You are conflating the management of the Duchy of Cornwall's assets with how Charles chooses to use the income he derives from the Duchy of Cornwall.

How Charles chooses to spend his income is his choice. He has professionalized his position as Prince of Wales and used his Duchy income to "fund the public, private and charitable activities" of him and his family. He has also communicated his activities and achievements as Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall to, among other things, get positive PR for himself, and for that reason, and general prudence he will not flutter away the income he derives from the Duchy but AFAIK there is no formal requirement that he justify how he chooses to spend the income he derives.

Well the money he gives/gave Harry and William are all open for public scrutiny.

Charles has a certain amount of leeway, but he must hand off the Duchy to William once he succeeds.
So he should be cautious about expenditures if he doesn't want to create friction with his successor.

Charles has a certain amount of leeway, but he must hand off the Duchy to William once he succeeds.
So he should be cautious about expenditures if he doesn't want to create friction with his successor.

Charles is spending only from the INCOME of the Dutchy NOT any assets; He is NOT accountable to anyone least his son how he spends or saves out of the Income.

Another thing is how the assets of the Dutchy are developed ... He did that probably better then any Duke of Cornwal befor him for a long time at least.

Well the money he gives/gave Harry and William are all open for public scrutiny.
Yep, how Charles funds his sons and other actions that he takes are subject to public scrutiny. Charles has to care about public perception, however it is not as if Charles has not done things in the past that have gone against public perception.

If in 2021 Charles chose to get his annual Duchy income in bills and burn it in a bonfire that will not affect William as the future Duke of Cornwall. William may be affected and disapprove in his current life in a prodigal son kinda way where, for those who don't know that part of the story, the son who stayed resented actions of his father towards the prodigal son. I am not saying that has happened or will happen, I am just addressing a scenario where there can be friction. However, because of the way that the Duchy is run and income is dispersed, Charles choices regarding how he distributes his Duchy income does not affect William or any other future Dukes.

Last edited:

I dont think he's going to fritter away his money but he has chosen to spend it in a certain way, not on "frivolities" for himself or family.. More on donations to charity ,helping his sons etc with their working and living Expenses...reinvestment in the duchy.
If he continues to give £2M to someone who is no longer working for the RF, its going to look bad. If he wants to give money from his private fortune to Harry that is his choice - but it still does not look great since Harry has chosen to leave the RF, has spoken of "Financial Independence" and making his own income.. so people will reasonably ask why a grown man who has given up his royal duties, and has spoken of achieving financial independence, is still dependent on his father for a part of his income.

Yep, how Charles funds his sons and other actions that he takes are subject to public scrutiny. Charles has to care about public perception, however it is not as if Charles has not done things in the past that have gone against public perception.

If in 2021 Charles chose to get his annual Duchy income in bills and burn it in a bonfire that will not affect William as the future Duke of Cornwall. William may be affected and disapprove in his current life in a prodigal son kinda way where, for those who don't know that part of the story, the son who stayed resented actions of his father towards the prodigal son. I am not saying that has happened or will happen, I am just addressing a scenario where there can be friction. However, because of the way that the Duchy is run and income is dispersed, Charles choices regarding how he distributes his Duchy income does not affect William or any other future Dukes.
If Charles were to do anything of that kind, yes it would affect William since he gets a share in the income from the Duchy. ANd William was involved in the discussions in January because its possible that if Harry does not make good, he's going to be in receipt of some kind of income from his fathter or brother for all his life...

If Charles were to do anything of that kind, yes it would affect William since he gets a share in the income from the Duchy. ANd William was involved in the discussions in January because its possible that if Harry does not make good, he's going to be in receipt of some kind of income from his fathter or brother for all his life...
I addressed that in the very comment you quoted.

It is an assumption / speculation that William may end up supporting Harry if Harry does not make good. If Harry does not make good and returns to royal work then he will be supported by King William as a working royal. However if Harry does not make good and William chooses to financially support him then that is William as the Duke of Cornwall or Duke of Lancaster, whatever applies, choosing how he spends his duchy income which brings us full circle back to that it is the current Duke's (Prince Charles) choice how he spends his duchy income.

It is an assumption / speculation that William may end up supporting Harry if Harry does not make good. If Harry does not make good and returns to royal work then he will be supported by King William as a working royal. However if Harry does not make good and William chooses to financially support him then that is William as the Duke of Cornwall or Duke of Lancaster, whatever applies, choosing how he spends his duchy income which brings us full circle back to that it is the current Duke's (Prince Charles) choice how he spends his duchy income.

It is his choice but I hope it is one that he's cautious about making. Charles is not overly popular and with the latest problems in the RF there is an increased idea that "second sons" can be a problem.. I think if Chas does support Harry for years to come, it will be out of his private income. It wont make Harry look any better.. I think that Charles regards the Duchy income as money that he uses for "doing good".. and so he wont use it to support a non working son...
As for Harry I dont think he will be exactly welcomed back ot royal work. Charles may feel that he needs his son to help with royal duties, but if he walked out once, he can do so again,

:previous: As previously stated, the duchy income is used to "fund the public, private and charitable activities" of Charles and his family. So "doing good" is just one aspect of how Charles chooses to spend his duchy income.

Depending on what poll or metric used, Harry, William and The Queen are / were neck in neck to be the most popular royal. I would not be surprised if going forward it will just be The Queen and William, but I do not think that Harry (or Meghan) is persona non grata. I think that if Harry chooses to return to royal work, he will be welcomed. I think that if Meghan chooses to return to royal work, she will be welcomed as well, but IMO, on her end, there is no way that she will return beyond her existing patronages and perhaps the addition of a small number of cherry picked causes / patronages / projects. If Harry returns and they are still married, she will be his plus one in a way that male married ins have been in the past.

Simple answer. Because he wants to. :D

William will not have to determine whether or not to "support" Harry at all during his tenure as the Duke of Cornwall. His income from that is solely to support himself and his family. Charles is doing exactly that with *his* Duke of Cornwall income. His family. Charles becomes king and then can choose to support Harry if he wants to out of his Duchy of Lancaster private income. William will do the same as king.

Remember too that, for public awareness of Duchy of Cornwall spending by the Duke, it is itemized so far as the expenditures that Charles makes in relation to "business" expenses and shows where the money goes (tax deductible). Then there's the private expenditures that are not itemized and determines the amount of private income Charles gets and pays taxes (voluntarily) on. Harry would now fall into the private expenditures and those payouts would not be made public whatsoever and it isn't necessary for Charles to make it public. Something like "250.000 bracelet for Camilla" and "25,000 Savile Row suit" and "100,000 gift to the Ginger". Like a checkbook entry. None of our business.

It is true that Charles has managed the Duchy of Cornwall to ensure its growth and its sustainability for future Dukes of Cornwall. The Duke of Cornwall before him was single and used the income with just himself in mind and I would imagine that none of his expenditures ever were made public knowledge. I haven't checked.

:previous: As previously stated, the duchy income is used to "fund the public, private and charitable activities" of Charles and his family. So "doing good" is just one aspect of how Charles chooses to spend his duchy income.

Depending on what poll or metric used, Harry, William and The Queen are / were neck in neck to be the most popular royal. I would not be surprised if going forward it will just be The Queen and William, but I do not think that Harry (or Meghan) is persona non grata. I think that if Harry chooses to return to royal work, he will be welcomed. I think that if Meghan chooses to return to royal work, she will be welcomed as well, but IMO, on her end, there is no way that she will return beyond her existing patronages and perhaps the addition of a small number of cherry picked causes / patronages / projects. If Harry returns and they are still married, she will be his plus one in a way that male married ins have been in the past.

You raise a good point. Why should the married ins not be allowed to continue their life and by marrying in subsume their identity. And yes this is largely women. Snowden kept his career, in fact he got more famous. Mark Phillips too. Laurence. Phillip is different. I see no reason that Meghan, or any future woman to marry in, is not encouraged to keep up their own lives and careers. And to move with the times. We are still far too masogonistic as a society. The woman are wanted because really everyone wants to take about their weight, clothes, make up. Problem with Meghan is she is too political. And that will never swing.

The press wrong stated they were paid for the JP Morgan event talking about Diana and his mental health. Then they backtracked. They were just apparently guests of the summit. It was a networking event. But the initial report obviously got more coverage than the correction.

That is pretty typical of their coverage though.

Everyone is allowed their opinions. No one really knows anything as fact about what happened. It is all projection based on what we believe is to be true, whether that is the case or not. And that is fine.

Though I do think it is interesting that people have already determined their future. Shall be interesting to watch it all play out in the next year.

Its just plain ol witch hunting been around for centuries they are the new witches being chased by angry persecutors "facts" and "opinions" and "quotes" are their torches and pitchforks hellbent and drooling at the mouth hoping that Harry and Megan fall to their knees broken and divorced. :lol:

William will not have to determine whether or not to "support" Harry at all during his tenure as the Duke of Cornwall. His income from that is solely to support himself and his family. Charles is doing exactly that with *his* Duke of Cornwall income. His family. Charles becomes king and then can choose to support Harry if he wants to out of his Duchy of Lancaster private income. William will do the same as king.

Remember too that, for public awareness of Duchy of Cornwall spending by the Duke, it is itemized so far as the expenditures that Charles makes in relation to "business" expenses and shows where the money goes (tax deductible). Then there's the private expenditures that are not itemized and determines the amount of private income Charles gets and pays taxes (voluntarily) on. Harry would now fall into the private expenditures and those payouts would not be made public whatsoever and it isn't necessary for Charles to make it public. Something like "250.000 bracelet for Camilla" and "25,000 Savile Row suit" and "100,000 gift to the Ginger". Like a checkbook entry. None of our business.

It is true that Charles has managed the Duchy of Cornwall to ensure its growth and its sustainability for future Dukes of Cornwall. The Duke of Cornwall before him was single and used the income with just himself in mind and I would imagine that none of his expenditures ever were made public knowledge. I haven't checked.
The overall point that I am making is that it is the Duke of Cornwall's choice how he spends his income which I don't think you disagree with.

The overall point that I am making is that it is the Duke of Cornwall's choice how he spends his income which I don't think you disagree with.

Exactly and I was trying to amplify that point. :D

Not every penny Charles has access to is deemed necessary to be public knowledge of exactly how it's spent. :flowers:

Charles is free to use his private income/assets any way he sees fit. It seems that he is not willing to support H&M in perpetuity, otherwise a lot of things would be different

She was a bit of a kleptomaniac and would often just help herself. She was also a bit annoying as a house guest because one is grand, with a lot of staff, and she would take over the house and there was no use hinting for her to leave. She spent the second world war at Badminton House, some house with her niece and family (brought the Kent grandchildren too). Took over the whole place.

I have the book "The Quest For Queen Mary" assembled by James Pope-Hennessey and edited by Hugo Vickers.

A scene is described where she settled in at an aristocratic home for luncheon, and wouldn't leave until the hostess's staff had put a charming little table in The Queen's car for her to take home. This was late in the evening. HM wouldn't leave until she got the table. The lady of the house couldn't take the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom