General News about the Sussex Family, Part Two: April-August 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So who can safely lecture us on the environment and what are they driving? How is any of this news about Harry and Meghan? Papparazzi got pictures of them going to an appointment. Big deal...no news...just ridiculous.

Yes Rayal, it's not news - nothing about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex is really "news".

Like so much news today - about anything - very little of it is newsy or more correctly, newsworthy.

It is interesting though - Royals leaving the Royal Family.

And not just leaving, but kicking up a lot of dust as they go.

I personally think Harry and Meghan are better off in the US - from what I've learnt recently, it really was only a matter of time.

And the rest of the UK - the Royals, their staff and courtiers, the UK people - are also better off being left alone by them. (Well, after the current court cases are resolved anyway.)

The media - especially in the UK, but also here in Australia, I expect in New Zealand and probably Canada too - will however, always keep track of the couple.

None of it will be "news".

None of it will affect anyone or anything.

But there will always be some interest in what they do, as the Royal Family is our Royal Family. We've all grown up with it, for generations and generations.

As for "who can safely lecture us on the environment" - for some of us the answer would be no-one.

[...]

I can see my interest in the couple waning as time goes on and everything settles down, but I still expect them to turn up in the news.

Many people will take a moment just to keep up to date with what they are doing or saying, where they are going, how things are for them. But none of it it will matter. None of it will really be "news".

Last edited by a moderator:
Is any royal visiting a school, shop, pub, factory, etc etc for 45mins to an hour really news either, or of any real interest, except to the people who are present. The difference is that the journalists filing those stories aren't usually extremely eager to find something to criticise.

Last edited:
Please note that several posts have been edited and subsequent responses edited/deleted. Speculating on pregnancy and similar inferences are off-topic.

Please also avoid veering off topic when there is nothing to add to the actual topic of the thread.

I'm driving a regular sedan now, but I want to upgrade to an SUV or crossover next year when I can still get a good trade-in price on my car. Climbing out of my car now is a total pain in the butt. I need to be up higher. Nothing wrong with Harry and Meghan selecting a car that is easy to enter and exit as the paps snap away.

Indeed. I am not suggesting they can't have a crossover or an SUV, if that is what they need. However, do they really need a car with a 6.2l V8 engine to tool around LA, when a Tesla or an electric Jaguar I-Pace could suffice? Then again, these are choices people make. What makes it contradictory is that despite all the woke environmental campaigning, they are not quite ready to follow what they preach.

Last edited:
Indeed. I am not suggesting they can't have a crossover or an SUV, if that is what they need. However, do they really need a car with a 6.2l V8 engine to tool around LA, when a Tesla or an electric Jaguar I-Pace could suffice? Then again, these are choices people make. What makes it contradictory is that despite all the woke environmental campaigning, when they are not quite ready to follow what they preach.

IMO people who go on about the environment are usually the ones who do the most travelling.. and usually in far greater luxury than I can afford.. so i don't take any heed of them...But this pair ahve been preaching for the past year, and people IMO are fed up with the lectures on this and other issues.

IMO people who go on about the environment are usually the ones who do the most travelling.. and usually in far greater luxury than I can afford.. so i don't take any heed of them...But this pair ahve been preaching for the past year, and people IMO are fed up with the lectures on this and other issues.

I do not judge people who travel. I am merely raising the inherent contradiction in preaching and being unwilling to follow your own preaching.

I do not judge people who travel. I am merely raising the inherent contradiction in preaching and being unwilling to follow your own preaching.

I think that is the case with most celebrities.

(Remember the famous actor who extolled the value of educating children in the public school system, yet sent his own children to private schools? There's always some reason why they can't practice what they preach.

And- that's also why many people ignore whatever they say.)

(Remember the famous actor who extolled the value of educating children in the public school system, yet sent his own children to private schools? There's always some reason why they can't practice what they preach.

Exactly.. So ignore them. However, Harry seems to be the most vehement of the "travel is bad for the environment" brigade at present so he is going to get flak when he doesn't do what he preaches about.

That the hypocacy is widespread does not make it any less reprehensible.

In the UK, one of the most left wing politicians and former shadow Home Secretary, Diane Abbott, was also accused caught out when it was revealed that, despite all the left wing diatribe, she chose to send her son to a private school.

That the hypocacy is widespread does not make it any less reprehensible.

In the UK, one of the most left wing politicians and former shadow Home Secretary, Diane Abbott, was also accused caught out when it was revealed that, despite all the left wing diatribe, she chose to send her son to a private school.

Ah Diane. Is there anything she isn't embarrassing about? Leo DiCaprio who doesn't fly commercial because that one time he did they lost his luggage.

Leave Meghan and Harry too it. She looks very very thin. Her and Kate both. Far too thin. Meghan looked great right up to their break after Archie was born. Curvy and healthy. She looks thinner now than she was before they married.

Exactly.. So ignore them. However, Harry seems to be the most vehement of the "travel is bad for the environment" brigade at present so he is going to get flak when he doesn't do what he preaches about.

No he really isn't. Prince Charles is the grand daddy of preaching about the environment. Princes William and Harry merely joined him. The difference is that it's currently the in thing to bash Harry and Meghan for things his entire family have been doing for a very long time. Same thing with being "political".

No he really isn't. Prince Charles is the grand daddy of preaching about the environment. Princes William and Harry merely joined him. The difference is that it's currently the in thing to bash Harry and Meghan for things his entire family have been doing for a very long time. Same thing with being "political".

Perhaps it is best to agree to disagree on that front. :flowers:

At least it’s a hybrid car.

Yeah Charles walks the walks though. He has some car powered with linseed oil pr something. And apparently he is a miser about electricity at home. That he needs to fly is his life. And it's a difficult one. But he certainly doesn't go using private planes for commercial use. I dont even know of Charles holidays abroad anyone. I don't know if he takes a holiday. Ever

At least it’s a hybrid car.

Do you have proof of this?
I have yet to encounter a truly gas saving SUV (hybrid or not).

But I come from a “we wish we were Europeans and we kind of are- but not really” country, so US obsession with gas wasting large cars is a mystery to me, despite having lived there for a few years.

But I come from a “we wish we were Europeans and we kind of are- but not really” country, so US obsession with gas wasting large cars is a mystery to me, despite having lived there for a few years.

Never understood that. Want to be Europeans. Although to be fair the Europeans are pretty bad at disliking eachother. Either because they genuinely have historical beef or otherwise cos the are secretly jealous of the other and want to be them. But then like all families they close ranks. And there is always that smugness over thr Americans from all of them

Diseal cars di exist in Europe.

Last edited:

No official proof but this sure does look like the car they claiming is theirs.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcunOClX0AATscc?format=jpg&name=large

I am not into SUVs or any big luxury cars. Not my style but to each their own. As for royals being hypocrites. I think just about all of them are in some way or another. People just give them a pass (or not) for one reason or another.

Yeah Charles walks the walks though. He has some car powered with linseed oil pr something. And apparently he is a miser about electricity at home. That he needs to fly is his life. And it's a difficult one. But he certainly doesn't go using private planes for commercial use. I dont even know of Charles holidays abroad anyone. I don't know if he takes a holiday. Ever

Private cars perhaps, but he makes extensive use of both helicopters and planes. So let's not pretend he's much better than most. They all fly, drive and still advocate the environment. I don't really have much of a problem with it. But I don't get why Harry and Meghan are singled out once again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...s-climate-change-clarence-house-a9313286.html

Private cars perhaps, but he makes extensive use of both helicopters and planes. So let's not pretend he's much better than most. They all fly, drive and still advocate the environment. I don't really have much of a problem with it. But I don't get why Harry and Meghan are singled out once again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...s-climate-change-clarence-house-a9313286.html

I said that. For his work. What do you expect them to do? Video call everyone. But in his day to day life and the running of the Duchy of Cornwall he does great work.

There is no need for Harry and Meghan to have that car anymore. There is no need for them to leave America much to be honest. O
No official trips. Bo official need to fly here and there to get to engagements.

Different world for them now.

You did read the article you cited right? Where it says Charles offsets his total yearly carbon emissions at the end of each year. And that royals very rarely have control over how they get from one place to another and it’s entirely planned around security precautions. I imagine if Charles’ could he would walk or take public transport to every engagement he could. Except that would make multiple engagements in different locations very hard.

Aren’t all royals singled out when they’re doing something wrong? If they were doing something wrong at the same time they’d all be in the same boat.

IMO you’re singling out Charles as a hypocrite when of all the BRF, he is the one who should be viewed as such the least.

I had an interesting chat with a friend yesterday first time since lockdown and as we always do - our group ended up discussing the royals. And things are starting to make a lot of sense now.
Take with a pinch of salt - just though you would like to know his musings- however admin can destroy if not wanted.
1. A big reason why Harry and Meghan left was that they saw they will be made minor royals within 15 years. Harry apparently saw how Charles and the press secretaries treated Andrew and saw the writing on the wall. The crux is that apparently Charles had an arrangement with Andrew that he would be kept in the major royal circle until death along with Anne. But that increasingly Charles's office started pushing Andrew out. Please note this was before the Epstein crisis.
It was not the same with Edward who was told from an early age that he essential wasn't needed as a working royals so he was told that he could have a full career in the armed services. Harry saw this and knowing the arrangement with Charles and Andrew didn't believe Charles and his private secretary when they told him he was part of the arrangement for the future.

2. Harry leaving created a problem for Charles and his private secretary in that the Queen and her private secretary had made a number of promises to various family members of their roles going forward. So essential Harry's leaving effected everyone in the family - jostled them around a bit which is really what upset the Queen as she will have to go back on her word on previous arrangements. When I heard this I figured that the Queen might have given her go ahead for the elderly members of the family - Kent and Princess Alexander to retire when she passed. There also might have been arrangements with the Wessex's or the Princess Royal about their future.

I had an interesting chat with a friend yesterday first time since lockdown and as we always do - our group ended up discussing the royals. And things are starting to make a lot of sense now.
Take with a pinch of salt - just though you would like to know his musings- however admin can destroy if not wanted.
1. A big reason why Harry and Meghan left was that they saw they will be made minor royals within 15 years. Harry apparently saw how Charles and the press secretaries treated Andrew and saw the writing on the wall. The crux is that apparently Charles had an arrangement with Andrew that he would be kept in the major royal circle until death along with Anne. But that increasingly Charles's office started pushing Andrew out. Please note this was before the Epstein crisis.
It was not the same with Edward who was told from an early age that he essential wasn't needed as a working royals so he was told that he could have a full career in the armed services. Harry saw this and knowing the arrangement with Charles and Andrew didn't believe Charles and his private secretary when they told him he was part of the arrangement for the future.

2. Harry leaving created a problem for Charles and his private secretary in that the Queen and her private secretary had made a number of promises to various family members of their roles going forward. So essential Harry's leaving effected everyone in the family - jostled them around a bit which is really what upset the Queen as she will have to go back on her word on previous arrangements. When I heard this I figured that the Queen might have given her go ahead for the elderly members of the family - Kent and Princess Alexander to retire when she passed. There also might have been arrangements with the Wessex's or the Princess Royal about their future.

This makes sense to me. Harry would have been pushed aside once the Cambridge kids came of age and started doing engagements.

However, given how Kate and William spent their 20's, I think the Cambridge kids would not start doing royal duties until their late 20's (earlier for George if he was PoW). So, in effect that had 2 decades of being senior members of the RF.

It would be impossible to exit the RF and build their "brand" when they were approaching 60. People are already suggesting that they are too old for the brand to connect with their intended target audience. So, it became a question of now or never.

With all the talk of streamlining the monarchy under Charles, I fully expected the Queen's cousins and distant relatives to retire once she died. The only one of Charles' sibling to continue doing royal duties would have been The Princess Royal. Now, all of that is out of the window. Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Anne cannot do all the duties that the RF are currently committed to. This means a lot of plans have to be changed and it is probably VERY upsetting to the Queen.

No official proof but this sure does look like the car they claiming is theirs.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcunOClX0AATscc?format=jpg&name=large

The car Meghan and Henry were seen with, is not a hybrid. Cadillac made a hybrid Escalade in 2009, but discontinued it in 2013. This appears to be a brand new Escalade which I’m assuming is a rental as pre-orders only started to be fulfilled in April 2020.

An electric Escalade is expected but not until 2025.

I can not agree with this. Edward was not in the armed forces. Had an independent career. Didn't work. Now back working full time. For years now.

The Epstein think has been roolong on for years. Andrew had a very high profile job once he retired from the navy. Trade ambassador or something. But he was irritating, arrogant and increasingly plagued by Epstein rumours. He wasn't much liked. People love Anne and like Edward and Sophie. They do a lot of work.

It is nonsense that Harry was to be pushed out. They carved put a specific commonwealth role for him. He was ridiculously spoiled. Of course as his niece and nephews grow older there will be more in the press about them. And that is how it should be.

That he never wanted to be overshadowed, I can believe.

Last edited:
I don't think the problem is Meghan and Harry being hypocritical about "going green" and finding ways to cut carbon emissions and save the planet and be wise about what we *all* can do to preserve the third rock from the sun. Charles has been at it since I can remember (when you get older, memory is the second thing to go) and to put a name to his fuel for his Aston-Martin, it runs on white wine. Smells good too.

The problem is getting people to make wise decisions when considering buying or traveling. We've seen with lock downs all over the world how the planet has "come alive" again and healed. What is needed is more global restrictions on our cars, boats, trains, jets and for countries to care more about where they live and how we're harming our own home.

Its never going to be that the Sussexes announce that they're going to hold an event in Sarasota, Florida in a few months but to amplify "going green", they're going to walk all the way there from LA and call it an event as they "Walk Across America" (why does that sound familiar?).

Face it, the Conestoga wagon and teams of horses are *not* going to make a comeback. Even if they did, you can be sure that there'd be a group concerned about polluting the planet with the gasses emitted by horse dung. :D

I agree with poppy7. Harry can count: Charles has 3 siblings, William has one. The queen is using her cousins but Charles won't. So yes, while Andrew was digging his own royal grave; I see little reason to believe that Anne (who has taken on the second most engagements for years) or Edward will be cast out once Charles becomes king; and even less so for Harry to ever be cast aside (unless they would have done something stupid) - the situation has changed however now they themselves decided to leave as they have shown not to be dutiful nor trustworthy and to be willing to bring damage to the BRF to enhance their own personal interests.

So, Harry and Meghan had a long life of royal duty ahead of him - had they not jumped ship. Would they have remained the stars of the show? No, of course not, that's not how it works. But they got a role crafted out for them in becoming the main 'faces' of the Commonwealth and would have been able to further their own charitable interests while also serving the Sovereign.

Of course he takes holidays. And yes hes been criticized for talking about environmental issues and driving fancy gas guzzling cars.. but he hasn't been doing it all that often in latter years. Its mostly been Harry and Meg lecturing the heck out of us.

This makes sense to me. Harry would have been pushed aside once the Cambridge kids came of age and started doing engagements.

However, given how Kate and William spent their 20's, I think the Cambridge kids would not start doing royal duties until their late 20's (earlier for George if he was PoW). So, in effect that had 2 decades of being senior members of the RF.

It would be impossible to exit the RF and build their "brand" when they were approaching 60. People are already suggesting that they are too old for the brand to connect with their intended target audience. So, it became a question of now or never.

With all the talk of streamlining the monarchy under Charles, I fully expected the Queen's cousins and distant relatives to retire once she died. The only one of Charles' sibling to continue doing royal duties would have been The Princess Royal. Now, all of that is out of the window. Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Anne cannot do all the duties that the RF are currently committed to. This means a lot of plans have to be changed and it is probably VERY upsetting to the Queen.
What? What's happened to Edward and Sophie? Have they been removed from the working royals? Even if it were true that Harry and Meg would be sidelined when Will's children got older.. (which it is not) what would they be complaining about? They'd get to retire a lot younger than many people. Is the complaint now that they would not be able to start making money if they had to do royal work for the next 20 or 25 years?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can not agree with this. Edward was not in the armed forces. Had an independent career. Didn't work. Now back working full time. For years now.

The Epstein think has been roolong on for years. Andrew had a very high profile job once he retired from the navy. Trade ambassador or something. But he was irritating, arrogant and increasingly plagued by Epstein rumours. He wasn't much liked. People love Anne and like Edward and Sophie. They do a lot of work.

It is nonsense that Harry was to be pushed out. They carved put a specific commonwealth role for him. He was ridiculously spoiled. Of course as his niece and nephews grow older there will be more in the press about them. And that is how it should be.

That he never wanted to be overshadowed, I can believe.

Sorry you have misunderstood me - if this is to be be believed the palace told Edward when he was younger he would be allowed to have a complete career in the military and unlike Philip, Charles and Andrew would not have to jump off at a time to be a full time royal. Edward was green lighted to be a full time military career- the fact that he decided against that later is another story.
This appears to have been the plan since the late 1980's - so before Epstein. At least I hope?
Harry was part of the plan - he bailed as I am told he didn't trust Charles and his people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom