General News about the Sussex Family, Part Two: April-August 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Wrong about Charles never having a career away from the BRF. Prince Charles was an officer in the Royal Navy from 1971 to 1976. He began the Prince's Trust with money from his Naval payout in 1976.

To be fair all the leaks come from the Sussexea and it is becoming clearer and clearer that that has always been the case. I wish they would stop. Its increasingly a desperate ploy to keep them relevant. We dont need to know about tour chat with the Queen.

Of course the 'truth,' is not going to be their side or the other side but a middle ground. But that is generous. Many events and occurrences and relationships have an actor and a reactor. Now who was playing what role at what time would tell us more. But certainly from Africa onwards the actors were Meghan and Harry.

And no, acknowledging it was tough, Meghan didnt give it a good shot. She made no allowances to get used to a different culture and working practices.

They called her son an ape. I wouldn't like to live in such a culture as well. We don't know what broke the dam, but there have been enough insults, "things Meghan did wrong" and "questions from the taxpayer" to last them a lifetime.

Charles has been battered way more by the tabs than Meghan has. He has always bounced back, brimming with initiatives that he believes are good for his country.

I think she was used to less press. Just the Hollywood trades and an occasional People mention. I am sure Harry tried to prepare her, and a staff was in place to help, but she didn't like being tamped down as to not detract from The Crown and its endeavors. She wasn't prepared for THAT.

. . . . Too little, too late? I’ll bet the BRF didn’t know how badly H and M were struggling. It doesn’t seem like H confides in his father, and he certainly didn’t confide in his brother. How was anyone supposed to know? They aren’t mind readers. This makes both H and K look worse isn’t the family DID want to help.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/05/why-meghan-harry-fled-the-united-kingdom

They WEREN'T planning to get out until months after they married when things went very south.

LaRae
I don't know why people keep on believing gossip in the Daily Mail or Malice on the Internet. Whatever happened to the Better Angels of our nature? Probably the same thing as happened to the majority of jaundiced reading and common sense. Members are holding forth at length about actions, reactions, tempers, tantrums; money; whose got it and who's giving it. Bottom line, the Cambridges and the Sussexes are still being bankrolled by their father. In essence, nothing has changed and I don't see that it's any of our business.

I personally believe that from the moment of the Sussex news release absolutely nothing has gone as they hoped or expected. In the event, it seems as though they have been excommunicated from the British Royal Family itself and, if you don't think there is pain, anger, blame, hurt, resentment, disappointment and shock from each member of the BRF involved, your family must be perfect.

Hopefully, the events of the last few months have given all of them the time to rethink their positions and they will find some way to begin to reconcile and I wish them all the best.

They called her son an ape. I wouldn't like to live in such a culture as well. We don't know what broke the dam, but there have been enough insults, "things Meghan did wrong" and "questions from the taxpayer" to last them a lifetime.

Honest question, because I'm not really well aware about this "ape-things" (which seems to almost always appear in every Sussex' fans defence); who is 'they'? Was British media/tabloids ever printed the so called ''ape twitter post" - something similar to the way the put Camilla's face on a horse?
I tried to google it and the articles (news and tabloids) I could find were about that the poster was sacked because of his twitter post.

Because if "they" are twitter and other social media, we can't put the blame to only one nation/culture.

I hadn't heard of the ape thing either until the last couple of days here. Princess Ann had to deal with a horse analogy also back in the day when she loved riding.

Honest question, because I'm not really well aware about this "ape-things" (which seems to almost always appear in every Sussex' fans defence); who is 'they'? Was British media/tabloids ever printed the so called ''ape twitter post" - something similar to the way the put Camilla's face on a horse?
I tried to google it and the articles (news and tabloids) I could find were about that the poster was sacked because of his twitter post.

Because if "they" are twitter and other social media, we can't put the blame to only one nation/culture.

There is no they. One man on twitter did something about an ape and Archie BUT like you say that isn't the media. My point still stands. She didn't adapt to the work practices and culture in the UK. She is not involved in a high stakes job and therefore in the UK work life balance of staff would dictate do not email at 5 am before working hours. It's is a tiny thing, but goes a long way. She was good at public events apparently. Amazingly prepared and new her stuff but they can't say anything real. The royals existing to shine a light on their charities, not to have a voice themselves. Meghan wanted a voice. She felt her voice matters.

Anne, Camilla and a horse. I forgot that.

There is no they. One man on twitter did something about an ape and Archie BUT like you say that isn't the media. My point still stands. She didn't adapt to the work practices and culture in the UK. She is not involved in a high stakes job and therefore in the UK work life balance of staff would dictate do not email at 5 am before working hours. It's is a tiny thing, but goes a long way. She was good at public events apparently. Amazingly prepared and new her stuff but they can't say anything real. The royals existing to shine a light on their charities, not to have a voice themselves. Meghan wanted a voice. She felt her voice matters.

Danny Baker worked for the BBC Radio 5 and was fired.
https://www.newsweek.com/royal-baby...-baker-bbc-meghan-markle-prince-harry-1420702

However, the incident did not put a dent in his career, he received a standing ovation just days after the incident.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...aby-archie-bbc-racist-live-show-a8911076.html

Danny Baker now feels as if he is the victim; he is an adult who attacked a newborn, his little joke will be used to taunt Archie on playgrounds for years to come. Archie will see all of the vile things written and said about his parents and him one day, the internet is forever. What Archie won't see is his family's courtiers releasing a statement saying attacking a newborn is reprehensible and to stay away from him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...C-threw-bus-chimp-joke-royal-baby-Archie.html

How can you raise a child to have a sense of self worth and pride in his identity in that kind of atmosphere? Anne and Camilla are adults and can take care of themselves so there's no comparison there.

Last edited:
The mystical "they" was one guy. That got fired. So honestly, I would love to live in a culture like that, where the racist guy gets punished (in this case fired from his job). There will always be someone out there who is racist, sexist, homophobic and so on - people like that exist in every country - the real question here is "are we going to do something about it" and the BBC did.

So he posted a racist tweet. And they fired him.

Last edited:

Anne Camila and the horse are not the same. There was a racial element in the chimp photo, though the persn who posted denied that.. but then he would..

I was getting a headache reading about the financial structures, etc.......lol. I'm sure no one begrudges Charles supporting his son (he's being a good father, regardless of his son's actions), but I understand the public not wanting their tax money to support two people who are no longer working royals. So, does any of Charles' funds come from simply being the Queen's son, the same way any of us might inherit - or be given - funds from our parents?

There's no question this is a bad look - and it's a bad look for Harry and Meghan, no one else. It's just another in a long line of terrible decision, assumptions and behaviors, and it feels like he might have irreparably damaged his relationship with the British people.

Eskimo:

Yes, this. They want to live like American Royalty...in the manner that Harry has become accustomed to and, frankly, Meghan. Charles' monies should be used only for their security; I HOPE they aren't misappropriating them to fund their Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

Your last point is a good one - and even if Charles could, he shouldn't have to. Harry and Meghan want security? PAY for it. They should be doing it now.

They can't afford security, plus their living costs In LA on what they have now.. (plus payng back for Frogmore). They might have been OK had they been able to properly start their career of public speakng but that's all on hold now.

They can't afford security, plus their living costs In LA on what they have now.. (plus payng back for Frogmore). They might have been OK had they been able to properly start their career of public speakng but that's all on hold now.

According to their fans they have a combined net worth of 40-50 million. They can use that money to pay back frogmore and pay their security. And still have enough left over to live on until they start their "career". If anyone in that family needs security it would be only Archie. Harry and Meghan are adults they can defend themselves. Harry is the Hero Prince who went to war and shot the bad guys and flew helicopters. If Harry thinks he is in danger he can always dial 911.

Anne Camila and the horse are not the same. There was a racial element in the chimp photo, though the person who posted denied that.. but then he would..

Yes - we cannot deny that. As a woman of colour myself I wouldn't want that either.
But isn't that part of the package when you became a public figure that you will have every sort of abuse thrown at you.
Just looking at this week on the radio and in the press. We wont mention social media as people have no manners there. Every single member of the family gets regularly called a thief stealing tax payer money or public money. At the moment they are all getting called pedophiles. Prince Philip regularly gets called a murderer and Prince Edward regularly is called anti-gay slurs and coward in press.

Yes - racism is wrong we can all agree that it is not what we would like to see. But I also don't like seeing homophobic remarks and outright ridicules slander been used in the press about the royals or indeed anyone. The royals accept it as what the tabloid press do and only jump in when it is deemed absolutely necessary. So if they had jumped in it would have set a precedence where they would have basically been complaining everyday to the press. They let the MCC take care of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The media/reporters are off-topic, so let’s move on. Any further off-topic comments will be deleted.

Charles is paying from his private funds for his staff who have been furloughed, rather than taking advantage of the government scheme. He's rich but he certainly can't afford to go on doing that and paying for his son's security indefinitely. Even when things get back to "normal" after Covid, the sources of income from visits to eg Dumfries House etc to pay for maintenance, repair, conservation, staff costs are going to take a long time to get back to where they were.

Without Covid we would by now have known what the Sussexes plans were for their non-profit, how they were planning to make a living, where they might be planning to live and so on. As it is we're all just speculating in a vacuum.

Going back to the January statement or maybe it was the website, there has been so much it becomes confusing. IMO their idea of financial independence was to no longer accept the sovereign grant. The grant comes from the Queen to cover expenses they incur to do work on her behalf. That money is only a very small percentage of their income, the remainder comes from Charles and their own personal money. ( money they earned or received as inheritance). Once again it is only my opinion but I think they never thought they would lose the money from Charles, the security or the home.
He was going to cover all the expenses and they were going to earn money which would then go to whatever charitable arrangement they had set up. I am not fully up to speed with the complexities of charities but could it be that they possibly intended taking an income from there also.
It is always going to be difficult for royal children to earn independent incomes without trading on the title even if they do not intend to, people use them also, that is why the military is often where they end up.

I personally believe that from the moment of the Sussex news release absolutely nothing has gone as they hoped or expected. In the event, it seems as though they have been excommunicated from the British Royal Family itself and, if you don't think there is pain, anger, blame, hurt, resentment, disappointment and shock from each member of the BRF involved, your family must be perfect.

Hopefully, the events of the last few months have given all of them the time to rethink their positions and they will find some way to begin to reconcile and I wish them all the best.

I think you raise some important points. Things have clearly not gone the way H&M expected. Whether it be the "progressive role" they sought within The Firm, the security they expected the state to fund, the lack of governmental support from Canada or the pandemic and all that follows.

As regards them being excommunicated from the BRF itself, I think they are well and truely out of The Firm, and I think that was the right decision by HM, Charles and William. As regards family relations, I agree with you that there is bound to be "pain, anger, blame, hurt, resentment, disappointment and shock". But I am a firm believer in time healing, positions softening, and family relations improving in time.

That said, and despite the 12 month review period, I still do not see an easy path back for them into The Firm if they so desired. I think a lot of public goodwill has been lost, and I just do not think Meghan will be ready to eat the proverbial humble pie that this will require.

How can you raise a child to have a sense of self worth and pride in his identity in that kind of atmosphere? Anne and Camilla are adults and can take care of themselves so there's no comparison there.

There was nothing wrong in the atmosphere, IMO. Yes, Meghan was having tough time with the tabloids (and some of it, IMO, was entirely self-inflicted) but if you do not read the press, it tends not to bother you. She did not need to look further than the other people within the BRF who had a tough time in the press (including Charles, Camilla, Anne, Sophie, Catherine), and with their hard work and focus on their royal roles, turned the narrative around.

The royal family are in it for the long term, they are not due for re-election in a few years, so can afford to let their work speak for themselves. Which is one of the key reasons they rarely respond to what is written about them.

I would not be surprised if at some point Harry returned to royal work and Meghan remained "independent" while occasionally attending selected royal functions. The main thing I am iffy about is how much time Meghan will be willing to spend in the UK.

There are precedents for this: Princess Margaret and Anthony Armstrong-Jones, Princess Anne and Timothy Lawrence and others, the key difference is that this is practice associated with male married-ins, but if this happens, while I am sure there will be grumbling for various reasons, hopefully overall there will be acceptance.

I would not be surprised if at some point Harry returned to royal work and Meghan remained "independent" while occasionally attending selected royal functions. The main thing I am iffy about is how much time Meghan will be willing to spend in the UK.

There are precedents for this: Princess Margaret and Anthony Armstrong-Jones, Princess Anne and Timothy Lawrence and others, the key difference is that this is practice associated with male married-ins, but if this happens, while I am sure there will be grumbling for various reasons, hopefully overall there will be acceptance.

Which is interesting no. Related to endemic sexism and perceived ownership over women which an still e massively traditionalist. The men can still carry on with their careers and have their own lives but the woman. Of course the exception to this is Phillip. And there are huge questions to how women are perceived and treated in the public sphere.

I th
As regards them being excommunicated from the BRF itself, I think they are well and truely out of The Firm, and I think that was the right decision by HM, Charles and William. As regards family relations, I agree with you that there is bound to be "pain, anger, blame, hurt, resentment, disappointment and shock". But I am a firm believer in time healing, positions softening, and family relations improving in time.

That said, and despite the 12 month review period, I still do not see an easy path back for them into The Firm if they so desired. I think a lot of public goodwill has been lost, and I just do not think Meghan will be ready to eat the proverbial humble pie that this will require.

I dotn see that they are "excommunicated" from the RF. I agre that the RF are probably more hurt and angry, some of them, than they are going to make public, but still, H and Meghan are not treated like the D of Windsor and pretty much exiled. They are part of the family, they are welcome to come and visit or come back to the UK if they want to.. I think if they do, Charles and the queen would be happy.. Possibly other members of the family may be more resentful of their action but they will be welcome again. re Meghan I agree that she doesn't want to come back.. but I suspect if the business and money making don't go well, she'll come back...

Last edited:
I dotn see that they are "excommunicated" from the RF. I agre that the RF are probably more hurt and angry, some of them, than they are going to make public, but still, H and Meghan are not treated like the D of Windsor and pretty much exiled. They are part of the family, they are welcome to come and visit or come back to the UK if they want to.. I think if they do, Charles and the queen would be happy.. Possibly other members of the family may be more resentful of their action but they will be welcome again. re Meghan I agree that she doesn't want to come back.. but I suspect if the business and money making don't go well, she'll come back...

Do you blame her? If I didn't have to, I wouldn't go back either if I was treated the way she was... self-respect goes a long way. Nor would I subject my child to such treatment. Even if the business venture they are on doesn't work out, I don't see Meghan going back, the BRF have already shown they don't really care and don't have any to offer in the way of family support or encouragement...she and Harry can get that from their friends/family in LA.

The RF that are hurt...probably aren't hurt/angry that they left...many probably didn't want Meghan there to begin with but are upset because their egos took a hit and some people are starting to see them for their true colors.

That could be a possibility, but I would be surprised if Meghan was prepared to let Harry return. That said, all of this is purely speculative, and I do not want to go down that alley.

That could be a possibility, but I would be surprised if Meghan was prepared to let Harry return. That said, all of this is purely speculative, and I do not want to go down that alley.

To "let" Harry return...Harry is a grown man and can make his own decisions. Him deciding to stay with his family (wife/son) isn't Meghan, not allowing him to return.

To "let" Harry return...Harry is a grown man and can make his own decisions. Him deciding to stay with his family (wife/son) isn't Meghan, not allowing him to return.

Such a decision is inevitably something they ad a couple would have to decide together. Given it would include huge family sacrifices.

Before the lockdown started, they still weren’t paying for their security. They are the ones who wanted to be financially independent...and now they can’t because they expected security to be automatically provided to them. Now, as you say, everything is on hold...but even if things weren’t, security is very expensive; they’re going to have to earn a lot of money to finance it themselves

Before the lockdown started, they still weren’t paying for their security. They are the ones who wanted to be financially independent...and now they can’t because they expected security to be automatically provided to them. Now, as you say, everything is on hold...but even if things weren’t, security is very expensive; they’re going to have to earn a lot of money to finance it themselves

It is clear this exit from the BRF, or "transition" as H&M like to call is, has not been fully thought through at all, and was perhaps executed before it was fully "baked". Now you can see why the communique from the Queen / the BRF said these are complex issues that require careful consideration.

It is clear this exit from the BRF, or "transition" as H&M like to call is, has not been fully thought through at all, and was perhaps executed before it was fully "baked". Now you can see why the communique from the Queen / the BRF said these are complex issues that require careful consideration.

It’s been clear for a long time that it wasn’t thought through. Charles and HM wanted to work this out with H and M, wanted a plan to be in place, but the Sussexes weren’t getting what they wanted, so they just threw their hands up and quit it. Then, BOOM - they dropped the bomb. They wanted what they wanted, so they took to their website to explain...probably expecting the public to understand. Unfortunately for them, the public saw a couple who’d completely disrespected HM, Charles, William and the BRF; they saw a couple who came off as entitled, spoiled, temperamental and thoughtless. Nothing much has changed since.

And once again we are back to discussing the January split issue and topics stemming from the split which have been discussed to death in this sub-forum.

Please move on.

Further posts on the matter - the split, the cause of the split, who knew about the split coming, security costs, finances, housing, etc - will be removed.

I am honestly not trying be smart Or cute but if you take away all
Discussion of Finances, housing, family relations and the split what is exactly is their left to discuss about the Sussex family?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom