The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 02:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
William was rambunctious for awhile there, lol. Wasn’t he called “naughty Wills” or something like that in the press?

When you’re a kid, I understand not wanting all the pressures and responsibilities of a King. I’m guessing when Harry said that, he had no idea what being asking entailed. Most kids - even non-Royals - think it would be great to be King, lol
He was a bit naughty as a small child, and Diana had to let the nannies be stricter with him. But essentially he is shy and doesn't like the whole idea of being the future King....

Old 08-06-2020, 02:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
George is often referred to in the papers as "the royal scamp", even though he seems to be very well-behaved! I think people expect little kids, certainly boys, to be a bit naughty, and it's even seen as being quite strange if they're not. Grandparents seem to delight in telling stories about "You'll never believe what my grandson's done now" . But kids grow up.

Is "The 19th" a well-known organisation in America? I just had to Google it, because I'd never heard of it! No offence to it: it's just not a familiar name in the UK.
I never heard of it.......what is it?

Old 08-06-2020, 02:27 PM
Heir Apparent

The 19th is a newly launched organization of female journalists and reporters. This is their introduction summit. It has quite the line up.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:48 PM
Courtier

Are they getting paid for this?
Old 08-06-2020, 03:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Younger siblings (of the heir) often say they are pleased they won't be the monarch (Princess Margaret did, and I believe Charles' brothers once did, and Harry did).

I never believed any of them.
They all want the top spot, no matter what they say.

It's probably a defense mechanism to reject something that's not really yours in the first place.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tausi View Post

It's probably a defense mechanism to reject something that's not really yours in the first place.
Im pretty sure Andrew does not want to be King. The top job comes with a lot of restrictions and scrutiny. I can’t see Margaret or Andrew wanting that. They were all about the perks and privileges and none of the responsibilities
Old 08-06-2020, 04:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Im pretty sure Andrew does not want to be King. The top job comes with a lot of restrictions and scrutiny. I can’t see Margaret or Andrew wanting that. They were all about the perks and privileges and none of the responsibilities
No but I think boht of them were rather resentful of the older sibling who IS going to be monarch, even fi they knew that they woudl not want teh top job..
Old 08-06-2020, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry penned an article about social media.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90537682...an-redesign-it
Old 08-06-2020, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

While reading I couldn't help but think: why should I care what Harry and Meghan think? They no longer represent anybody but themselves.

Nonetheless, I did wonder about this part (again: them behaving as royals - as the 'convening power' is one of the benefits of being part of the royal family):
Quote:
Meghan and I heard similar arguments made by humane tech leaders we convened at Stanford University earlier this year,
And what did they try to communicate with this explanation (which would normally explain their credentials, such as what kind of position someone is in; as in X is the CEO of Y)?

Quote:
Prince Harry is the Duke of Sussex.
As if being 'The Duke of Sussex' is some kind of role/position? The could also have written, prince Harry is known as the Duke of Sussex as that is his higher title... Because, yes, he got a peerage on his wedding day as son of the prince of Wales... so, thanks grandma! But there are many other peers in the UK whom surely wouldn't put their peerage out as their only credentials.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
While reading I couldn't help but think: why should I care what Harry and Meghan think? They no longer represent anybody but themselves.

Nonetheless, I did wonder about this part (again: them behaving as royals - as the 'convening power' is one of the benefits of being part of the royal family):

And what did they try to communicate with this explanation (which would normally explain their credentials, such as what kind of position someone is in; as in X is the CEO of Y)?

As if being 'The Duke of Sussex' is some kind of role/position? The could also have written, prince Harry is known as the Duke of Sussex as that is his higher title... Because, yes, he got a peerage on his wedding day as son of the prince of Wales... so, thanks grandma! But there are many other peers in the UK whom surely wouldn't put their peerage out as their only credentials.
Yes, but his peerage is HIS only credential, since he’s not allowed to use his HRH
Old 08-06-2020, 07:13 PM
Courtier

Harry will never be king. And if some horrible accident happened where he was made King I'm sure the people would rise up and abolish the monarchy. Why would you want a king who has dumped on the UK and whined about how much he hated the job? I want them to be happy outside the monarchy because after all that has happened I don't think they will ever be fit to return and resume royal duties. Go back to talking about your mother to bankers.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Yes, but his peerage is HIS only credential, since he’s not allowed to use his HRH
I wasn't thinking about HRH at all. Most other peers aren't HRH's either (that's only a very small subset within the royal family) but would they truly use a line such as:
'Mr. Edward William Fitzalan-Howard is the Duke of Norfolk' to explain why his opinion matters? Or would he list some position he has that applies to the subject at hand. For example, if it would be about Coronation, he would explain that he is the Earl Marshal (an actual position); if it would be about a topic that is related to a board membership (I assume he is on the board of several organizations), he would point out this board membership; and would most likely just state 'The Duke of Norfolk is...' instead of using both his name and his peerage.

Or, to use an example from within the family, would cousin David generally use
'David (Armstrong-Jones) is the Earl of Snowdon'
or would he instead write
'The earl of Snowdon is the honorary chairman of Christie's EMERI (Europe, Middle East, Russia, and India)'
- the latter seems far more informative and would explain why his opinion might be relevant.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
The 19th is a newly launched organization of female journalists and reporters. This is their introduction summit. It has quite the line up.

Meghan reached out to Emily and ask for this. She was not initially invited.
https://twitter.com/eramshaw/status/...316077057?s=20
Old 08-06-2020, 07:26 PM
Majesty

Does anyone take note of what members of the British royal family say in speeches or virtual conversations? How many here would be able to quote verbatim from one of Charles's speeches or William's or Kate's or the Queen's?

^ How do you know that Harry did talk to bankers about his mother? Actually, it was a symposium sponsored by Goldman Sachs down in Miami as far as I remember, with a number of guest speakers and an invited audience. Sections of the media stated that Harry spoke about his mother but it was never officially annunced that he spoke about that rather than general mental health issues.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
As this is a very new organisation, only launched this summer, the organisers probably welcomed her participation. Extra publicity for this, and Emily was probably thrilled. If she and other founders hadn't been they would have privately knocked Meghan back and that would have been the end of it.

How do we know that several of the speakers, (especially the lesser known ones) on hearing of this symposium, didn't 'reach out' to the organisers and asked to be there, finding it an interesting concept and wanting to be in on the ground floor.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It seems Meghan and her were just talking about the organization in general. Then Meghan asked if she could be involved and it went from there. She seemed shocked but thrilled Meghan wanted to be part of the summit.

https://twitter.com/eramshaw/status/1291439705213607937
Old 08-06-2020, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
It seems Meghan and her were just talking about the organization in general. Then Meghan asked if she could be involved and it went from there. She seemed shocked but thrilled Meghan wanted to be part of the summit.

https://twitter.com/eramshaw/status/1291439705213607937
Hmm, not sure how that changes anything. The main thing is, Meghan wasn't asked but she invited herself to get involved (and of course they would welcome the attention that brings - however, it is a bit worrisome that 'a duchess' that for personal reasons just left as a working member of a foreign royal family is considered 'a stand out' - in the company of three U.S. senators including the possible next VP or a former Secretary of State, First Lady and Presidential Candidate combined.

Bottom-line, they didn't just happen to talk, they were talking because Meghan reached out to them and wanted to get involved somehow. And given that the CEO explicitly states that she never planned to be on the line-up that might very well have been Meghan's idea as well. So, Meghan heard about the organization and reached out; and this was the form her involvement took.

And a great way to both claim Meghan's stardom because of her marriage and at the same time distance her -the proud feminist- from the traditional/conservative BRF:
Quote:
But while there can be no doubt that Markle—an American actor and proud feminist who married into one of the most traditional, conservative families on the planet—has changed the game, it was never Ramshaw’s intention to land a duchess for the summit, nor did she expect that she herself would feature in the lineup.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Surprise, surprise lol...

If she wasn’t married to you know who, really, I doubt she’d be given the time of day.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Does anyone take note of what members of the British royal family say in speeches or virtual conversations? How many here would be able to quote verbatim from one of Charles's speeches or William's or Kate's or the Queen's?
I can quote two bits. Charles referring to "a monstrous carbuncle on the face of an old and beloved friend" and HM most recently quoting Vera Lynn. "We'll meet again."
Old 08-06-2020, 09:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
And then there's my favorite Philipism. "You have mosquitoes. We have the press."