The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 10:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Yeah Charles walks the walks though. He has some car powered with linseed oil pr something. And apparently he is a miser about electricity at home. That he needs to fly is his life. And it's a difficult one. But he certainly doesn't go using private planes for commercial use. I dont even know of Charles holidays abroad anyone. I don't know if he takes a holiday. Ever
Private cars perhaps, but he makes extensive use of both helicopters and planes. So let's not pretend he's much better than most. They all fly, drive and still advocate the environment. I don't really have much of a problem with it. But I don't get why Harry and Meghan are singled out once again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9313286.html

Old 07-12-2020, 11:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Private cars perhaps, but he makes extensive use of both helicopters and planes. So let's not pretend he's much better than most. They all fly, drive and still advocate the environment. I don't really have much of a problem with it. But I don't get why Harry and Meghan are singled out once again.

I said that. For his work. What do you expect them to do? Video call everyone. But in his day to day life and the running of the Duchy of Cornwall he does great work.

There is no need for Harry and Meghan to have that car anymore. There is no need for them to leave America much to be honest. O
No official trips. Bo official need to fly here and there to get to engagements.

Different world for them now.

Old 07-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post

You did read the article you cited right? Where it says Charles offsets his total yearly carbon emissions at the end of each year. And that royals very rarely have control over how they get from one place to another and it’s entirely planned around security precautions. I imagine if Charles’ could he would walk or take public transport to every engagement he could. Except that would make multiple engagements in different locations very hard.

Aren’t all royals singled out when they’re doing something wrong? If they were doing something wrong at the same time they’d all be in the same boat.

IMO you’re singling out Charles as a hypocrite when of all the BRF, he is the one who should be viewed as such the least.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

I had an interesting chat with a friend yesterday first time since lockdown and as we always do - our group ended up discussing the royals. And things are starting to make a lot of sense now.
Take with a pinch of salt - just though you would like to know his musings- however admin can destroy if not wanted.
1. A big reason why Harry and Meghan left was that they saw they will be made minor royals within 15 years. Harry apparently saw how Charles and the press secretaries treated Andrew and saw the writing on the wall. The crux is that apparently Charles had an arrangement with Andrew that he would be kept in the major royal circle until death along with Anne. But that increasingly Charles's office started pushing Andrew out. Please note this was before the Epstein crisis.
It was not the same with Edward who was told from an early age that he essential wasn't needed as a working royals so he was told that he could have a full career in the armed services. Harry saw this and knowing the arrangement with Charles and Andrew didn't believe Charles and his private secretary when they told him he was part of the arrangement for the future.

2. Harry leaving created a problem for Charles and his private secretary in that the Queen and her private secretary had made a number of promises to various family members of their roles going forward. So essential Harry's leaving effected everyone in the family - jostled them around a bit which is really what upset the Queen as she will have to go back on her word on previous arrangements. When I heard this I figured that the Queen might have given her go ahead for the elderly members of the family - Kent and Princess Alexander to retire when she passed. There also might have been arrangements with the Wessex's or the Princess Royal about their future.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I had an interesting chat with a friend yesterday first time since lockdown and as we always do - our group ended up discussing the royals. And things are starting to make a lot of sense now.
Take with a pinch of salt - just though you would like to know his musings- however admin can destroy if not wanted.
1. A big reason why Harry and Meghan left was that they saw they will be made minor royals within 15 years. Harry apparently saw how Charles and the press secretaries treated Andrew and saw the writing on the wall. The crux is that apparently Charles had an arrangement with Andrew that he would be kept in the major royal circle until death along with Anne. But that increasingly Charles's office started pushing Andrew out. Please note this was before the Epstein crisis.
It was not the same with Edward who was told from an early age that he essential wasn't needed as a working royals so he was told that he could have a full career in the armed services. Harry saw this and knowing the arrangement with Charles and Andrew didn't believe Charles and his private secretary when they told him he was part of the arrangement for the future.

2. Harry leaving created a problem for Charles and his private secretary in that the Queen and her private secretary had made a number of promises to various family members of their roles going forward. So essential Harry's leaving effected everyone in the family - jostled them around a bit which is really what upset the Queen as she will have to go back on her word on previous arrangements. When I heard this I figured that the Queen might have given her go ahead for the elderly members of the family - Kent and Princess Alexander to retire when she passed. There also might have been arrangements with the Wessex's or the Princess Royal about their future.
This makes sense to me. Harry would have been pushed aside once the Cambridge kids came of age and started doing engagements.

However, given how Kate and William spent their 20's, I think the Cambridge kids would not start doing royal duties until their late 20's (earlier for George if he was PoW). So, in effect that had 2 decades of being senior members of the RF.

It would be impossible to exit the RF and build their "brand" when they were approaching 60. People are already suggesting that they are too old for the brand to connect with their intended target audience. So, it became a question of now or never.

With all the talk of streamlining the monarchy under Charles, I fully expected the Queen's cousins and distant relatives to retire once she died. The only one of Charles' sibling to continue doing royal duties would have been The Princess Royal. Now, all of that is out of the window. Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Anne cannot do all the duties that the RF are currently committed to. This means a lot of plans have to be changed and it is probably VERY upsetting to the Queen.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
No official proof but this sure does look like the car they claiming is theirs.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcunOClX...jpg&name=large

The car Meghan and Henry were seen with, is not a hybrid. Cadillac made a hybrid Escalade in 2009, but discontinued it in 2013. This appears to be a brand new Escalade which I’m assuming is a rental as pre-orders only started to be fulfilled in April 2020.

An electric Escalade is expected but not until 2025.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I can not agree with this. Edward was not in the armed forces. Had an independent career. Didn't work. Now back working full time. For years now.

The Epstein think has been roolong on for years. Andrew had a very high profile job once he retired from the navy. Trade ambassador or something. But he was irritating, arrogant and increasingly plagued by Epstein rumours. He wasn't much liked. People love Anne and like Edward and Sophie. They do a lot of work.

It is nonsense that Harry was to be pushed out. They carved put a specific commonwealth role for him. He was ridiculously spoiled. Of course as his niece and nephews grow older there will be more in the press about them. And that is how it should be.

That he never wanted to be overshadowed, I can believe.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I don't think the problem is Meghan and Harry being hypocritical about "going green" and finding ways to cut carbon emissions and save the planet and be wise about what we *all* can do to preserve the third rock from the sun. Charles has been at it since I can remember (when you get older, memory is the second thing to go) and to put a name to his fuel for his Aston-Martin, it runs on white wine. Smells good too.

The problem is getting people to make wise decisions when considering buying or traveling. We've seen with lock downs all over the world how the planet has "come alive" again and healed. What is needed is more global restrictions on our cars, boats, trains, jets and for countries to care more about where they live and how we're harming our own home.

Its never going to be that the Sussexes announce that they're going to hold an event in Sarasota, Florida in a few months but to amplify "going green", they're going to walk all the way there from LA and call it an event as they "Walk Across America" (why does that sound familiar?).

Face it, the Conestoga wagon and teams of horses are *not* going to make a comeback. Even if they did, you can be sure that there'd be a group concerned about polluting the planet with the gasses emitted by horse dung.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree with poppy7. Harry can count: Charles has 3 siblings, William has one. The queen is using her cousins but Charles won't. So yes, while Andrew was digging his own royal grave; I see little reason to believe that Anne (who has taken on the second most engagements for years) or Edward will be cast out once Charles becomes king; and even less so for Harry to ever be cast aside (unless they would have done something stupid) - the situation has changed however now they themselves decided to leave as they have shown not to be dutiful nor trustworthy and to be willing to bring damage to the BRF to enhance their own personal interests.

So, Harry and Meghan had a long life of royal duty ahead of him - had they not jumped ship. Would they have remained the stars of the show? No, of course not, that's not how it works. But they got a role crafted out for them in becoming the main 'faces' of the Commonwealth and would have been able to further their own charitable interests while also serving the Sovereign.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Yeah Charles walks the walks though. He has some car powered with linseed oil pr something. And apparently he is a miser about electricity at home. That he needs to fly is his life. And it's a difficult one. But he certainly doesn't go using private planes for commercial use. I dont even know of Charles holidays abroad anyone. I don't know if he takes a holiday. Ever
Of course he takes holidays. And yes hes been criticized for talking about environmental issues and driving fancy gas guzzling cars.. but he hasn't been doing it all that often in latter years. Its mostly been Harry and Meg lecturing the heck out of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
This makes sense to me. Harry would have been pushed aside once the Cambridge kids came of age and started doing engagements.

However, given how Kate and William spent their 20's, I think the Cambridge kids would not start doing royal duties until their late 20's (earlier for George if he was PoW). So, in effect that had 2 decades of being senior members of the RF.

It would be impossible to exit the RF and build their "brand" when they were approaching 60. People are already suggesting that they are too old for the brand to connect with their intended target audience. So, it became a question of now or never.

With all the talk of streamlining the monarchy under Charles, I fully expected the Queen's cousins and distant relatives to retire once she died. The only one of Charles' sibling to continue doing royal duties would have been The Princess Royal. Now, all of that is out of the window. Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Anne cannot do all the duties that the RF are currently committed to. This means a lot of plans have to be changed and it is probably VERY upsetting to the Queen.
What? What's happened to Edward and Sophie? Have they been removed from the working royals? Even if it were true that Harry and Meg would be sidelined when Will's children got older.. (which it is not) what would they be complaining about? They'd get to retire a lot younger than many people. Is the complaint now that they would not be able to start making money if they had to do royal work for the next 20 or 25 years?
Old 07-12-2020, 02:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I can not agree with this. Edward was not in the armed forces. Had an independent career. Didn't work. Now back working full time. For years now.

The Epstein think has been roolong on for years. Andrew had a very high profile job once he retired from the navy. Trade ambassador or something. But he was irritating, arrogant and increasingly plagued by Epstein rumours. He wasn't much liked. People love Anne and like Edward and Sophie. They do a lot of work.

It is nonsense that Harry was to be pushed out. They carved put a specific commonwealth role for him. He was ridiculously spoiled. Of course as his niece and nephews grow older there will be more in the press about them. And that is how it should be.

Sorry you have misunderstood me - if this is to be be believed the palace told Edward when he was younger he would be allowed to have a complete career in the military and unlike Philip, Charles and Andrew would not have to jump off at a time to be a full time royal. Edward was green lighted to be a full time military career- the fact that he decided against that later is another story.
This appears to have been the plan since the late 1980's - so before Epstein. At least I hope?
Harry was part of the plan - he bailed as I am told he didn't trust Charles and his people.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Sorry you have misunderstood me - if this is to be be believed the palace told Edward when he was younger he would be allowed to have a complete career in the military and unlike Philip, Charles and Andrew would not have to jump off at a time to be a full time royal. Edward was green lighted to be a full time military career- the fact that he decided against that later is another story.
This appears to have been the plan since the late 1980's - so before Epstein. At least I hope?
Harry was part of the plan - he bailed as I am told he didn't trust Charles and his people.
Its possible that that was true, in that Edward was the 4th child and could be considered (years ago) pretty much free to do his own thing, and Its possible that the RF thought he would not be required for royal duties. Charles did a stint of 5 years, Andrew did something like 20. But Edward didn't even stick out basic training so I'm not sure if he wanted a military's career all that much. Then when he chose a different career he and Sophie made a mess of it, so they were called into royal work. Just as well as it turns out, because the RF has now lost 3 people.
But I dont know what that has to do with Harry. As one of only 2 sons, he was always going to be considered as necessary to be a full time royal after a stint in the army.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

I completely agree with this reply, for a number of reasons :

- Andrew was causing problems, and was becoming an embarrassment, long before the recent Epstein debacle - he needed to be retired

- Edward and Sophie are basically full-time members of the Royal Family, and along with the Princess Royal, are hugely liked and respected

- Harry and Meghan would have had a 'lifetime' of Royal duties to fulfil, albeit in a supporting role to William and Kate, and perhaps the crux of the matter is that they did not want just a 'supporting role'

I guess we need to remember that in the UK and in many other parts of the world, The Queen is effectively sacrosanct, and anyone (either her grandson, or the man/woman on the street) who is seen to do her a disservice brings a huge tonne of bricks down upon themselves
Old 07-12-2020, 03:07 PM
Courtier

According to some rumours "supporting role" and no to their own "court" grew to be the problem.

But as one of only two children of the next Monarch with many currently working members of the family to retire in the next decade plus AND with a specific Commonwealth role, - that they seem to have wanted to hang on to, there was plenty of opportunity to spotlight causes close to their hearts. That were not seen as too political.

And when the little Cambridges grew up it wasn't like they were going to become like The Duke of Gloucester who most people couldn't even name or pick out of a line up. Because again, much smaller family. And by that time their plans might very well be to have retired and live a quieter life anyway.

I think the opportunity to make money whilst the sun shines as it were, is something they were too interested in to pass up but that has nothing to do with there not being a place for them in the working Royal Family in 20 years time. And they knew that because they tried to negotiate half in half out.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps I'm the odd one out but I've never seen Harry as the kind of guy that had to be the top banana or wanting the limelight all on him. I don't think he was perturbed at all with the fact that, down the line, he'd be relegated further down that line as time passed. His "place" in the BRF wasn't a problem for him and its been stated just three years ago "Prince Harry says no one in royal family wants to be king or queen. Being the monarch is a tough job, but someone has to do it, even if reluctantly. In a magazine interview, Prince Harry has suggested that none of the royal family actually wants the throne. “We are involved in modernising the British monarchy.""

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ish%20monarchy.

With ruling out that Harry's scheme in things concerning the Royal Family ruled out as a underlying problem, what then *was* the problem and why did things change so drastically in three years that have them out of the "Firm" and living in LA? I believe its due to a change in Harry's life with a new marriage and a family. Should Meghan have never come into the picture, I think we'd still be seeing Harry "going with the flow" of the "Firm" still.

I've watched carefully since the day that Harry met Meghan. I saw how smitten they were with each other. I saw the BRF embracing Meghan as one of their own and a couple ecstatic about forging ahead in their roles. I saw Harry beaming with pride as he introduced his bride to Daphne Dunne in Australia (now that, to me was a special relationship in and of itself) and beaming ear to ear talking with her about their expected child. So what made them want to chuck it all in and turn their backs?

I have to say I do believe the main cause to be the demonizing of Meghan by the British press. They had a field day where it was expected to pick up a paper or click on a link to read the latest gaffe Meghan's made (remember closing a door all by herself?) and basically tearing this woman down to tatters because she's (fill in blank. There were a lot of them). Keeping strong and seemingly letting things not affect her like water off a duck's back is why I believe that Charles, himself, nicknamed her tungsten. If anyone knows how hurtful things can be in the public press, its Charles and Camilla.

There came a breaking point where it was just too much and I'd have really been very disappointed in Harry if he didn't react emotionally to it all and want to protect his wife and his child. Basically, Harry was doing exactly like his brother was doing but in a different context. Putting his family's security and happiness first above everything else. It had reached an either/or crucial point and he made his decision.

I don't agree at all on how it all played out and feel that emotion overrode common sense and rational thought in actions but everyone comes to bridges in their lifetime where the decision has to be made to cross over that bridge or keep going on down the road. Going forward, its their road now to pave into the future and that should be respected regardless of all the potholes that could be deemed to lead up to how we form our opinions on what went wrong, who is the villain and who is the hero and use them all still to paint our pictures of how we see this couple.

We'll never ever know the "inside scoop" of what they thought or felt or experienced unless they write a biography themselves. What we do have is mountains upon mountains of printed pages that we can read that tell us what perspectives other minds have. All the good, all the bad and all the very ugly. We have a choice to agree or disagree by formulating our own opinions yet that's all they are. Opinions. This is my opinion and how I see things. The next post may refute every word I've written and that opinion is just as valid as mine is.

That, m'friends, is what makes for intelligent discussions.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don’t think Harry has ever had a problem with being a “supporting member” of the family. He served his time honorably in the military and was always been a diligent worker in his royal duties. The idea that suddenly at 35 years old he had an issue with being relegated to a supporting role in the family and was jealous of his brother and sister-in-law’s position doesn’t make sense. Likewise, while I wonder how well-prepared Meghan was about all that goes into being a working royal, I have no doubt that she also knew where they stood. They both knew they weren’t going to be King and Queen.

What I think is that they became unhappy with all the constraints that come with being working royals, no matter what position you’re in- you can’t say what you want, support all the causes you want to (for example, a political candidate or a potentially polarizing cause or topic), and much of the work isn’t glamorous or particularly interesting. Members of the RF for the most part aren’t global, world-changing philanthropists. They do a lot of good work, some of it on a global scale, but it’s mostly smaller projects on the local level in the UK. The focus is on representing the UK and promoting and supporting UK causes. There’s lots of visiting hospitals, schools and community centers, observing troops, things that maybe aren’t the most world-changing activities. I think that Meghan envisioned a global platform where major change could take place and they could earn private income as well, and they tried to craft their “new progressive role” to reflect this. They were trying to be royalty-global celebrity philanthropist hybrid (think George Clooney or Angelina Jolie). However, as we all know the royal family does not work like that and they were told no, so they left to try to create this role themselves with their new global foundation.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
According to some rumours "supporting role" and no to their own "court" grew to be the problem.

But as one of only two children of the next Monarch with many currently working members of the family to retire in the next decade plus AND with a specific Commonwealth role, - that they seem to have wanted to hang on to, there was plenty of opportunity to spotlight causes close to their hearts. That were not seen as too political.

And when the little Cambridges grew up it wasn't like they were going to become like The Duke of Gloucester who most people couldn't even name or pick out of a line up. Because again, much smaller family. And by that time their plans might very well be to have retired and live a quieter life anyway.

I think the opportunity to make money whilst the sun shines as it were, is something they were too interested in to pass up but that has nothing to do with there not being a place for them in the working Royal Family in 20 years time. And they knew that because they tried to negotiate half in half out.
exactly. They would not be as popular as they grew older, but that's life. And as George and Charlotte etc grew up, they would get some more attention than the older Uncle Harry and Meghan.. but they had a job, they had a role.. if they cared about it. And I cant help feeling they didn't really care about the work itself.. it was the opportunities for being noticed that work gives them that was really on their minds.
I think that Meghan did think that royal life was more glamourous than it really is.. and that she would be admired and noticed.. but she found that the press weren't all that friendly, that the public were willing to like her but she wasn't living in a castle and being photographed in glam dresses at every engagement. AND that she and Harry would never be in W and Kate's position as "the Waleses" and then King and queen. So they began to think about making money and doing engagements that pleased them and got them in the papers and being admired...
And perhaps they felt that yes they had to "jump out" fairly quickly because if they wanted to make money, they had to get started asap... I think they wanted the half in and half out because it gave them the security of still being royal, of having royal security officers etc but still allowed them time and freedom to start some kind of money making...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I don
What I think is that they became unhappy with all the constraints that come with being working royals, no matter what position you’re in- you can’t say what you want, support all the causes you want to (for example, a political candidate or a potentially polarizing cause or topic), and much of the work isn’t glamorous or particularly interesting. Members of the RF for the most part aren’t global, world-changing philanthropists. They do a lot of good work, some of it on a global scale, but it’s mostly smaller projects on the local level in the UK. The focus is on representing the UK and promoting and supporting UK causes. There’s lots of visiting hospitals, schools and community centers, observing troops, things that maybe aren’t the most world-changing activities. I think that Meghan envisioned a global platform where major change could take place and they could earn private income as well, and they tried to craft their “new progressive role” to reflect this. They were trying to be royalty-global celebrity philanthropist hybrid (think George Clooney or Angelina Jolie). However, as we all know the royal family does not work like that and they were told no, so they left to try to create this role themselves with their new global foundation.
But Harry at least should know that "that's not how the RF works".. that they are mostly working on a small scale.. and that they are not there to "change the world" (not IMO that anyone can) but to do a bit of good on a moderate scale...and Harry should certainly have know that "earning money" is not something a senior working royal can do...
So why take on the job? Why agree to take on royal duties as part of the working family if they were really hankering after a "global foundation"...(with opps to earn money)
Old 07-12-2020, 04:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I agree with poppy7. Harry can count: Charles has 3 siblings, William has one. The queen is using her cousins but Charles won't. So yes, while Andrew was digging his own royal grave; I see little reason to believe that Anne (who has taken on the second most engagements for years) or Edward will be cast out once Charles becomes king; and even less so for Harry to ever be cast aside (unless they would have done something stupid) - the situation has changed however now they themselves decided to leave as they have shown not to be dutiful nor trustworthy and to be willing to bring damage to the BRF to enhance their own personal interests.

So, Harry and Meghan had a long life of royal duty ahead of him - had they not jumped ship. Would they have remained the stars of the show? No, of course not, that's not how it works. But they got a role crafted out for them in becoming the main 'faces' of the Commonwealth and would have been able to further their own charitable interests while also serving the Sovereign.
Whatever their personal relationships, Anne and Edward are his siblings; Charles is not going to cast them aside...I agree. He had no choice to be severe with Andrew - as much as he loves his brother, Charles had to put the monarchy first. His and his mother have to be concerned about the future of the monarchy, so they are being called on to make painful decisions.

As far as Harry is concerned, I believe he is resentful of the attention his brother gets....and that Kate gets, on Meghan’s behalf. Not only have there been reports of his being upset when his father and HM refused his request to have a sort of “court” at Windsor similar to William’s KP, but there was the awkwardness at the Commonwealth services when W and K pulled out of the procession abruptly. Even if it’s true that Harry doesn’t love this life, it doesn’t mean he can’t feel relatively ignored, that he’s not gotten enough attention.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:16 PM
Commoner

Thank you for writing this Osipi.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
But Harry at least should know that "that's not how the RF works".. that they are mostly working on a small scale.. and that they are not there to "change the world" (not IMO that anyone can) but to do a bit of good on a moderate scale...and Harry should certainly have know that "earning money" is not something a senior working royal can do...
So why take on the job? Why agree to take on royal duties as part of the working family if they were really hankering after a "global foundation"...(with opps to earn money)
I think that Meghan helped him understand that there could be a different role for them out there... perhaps more wishful thinking than anything, or they overestimated how much pull they had or how the queen would react. I know I’ve had situations where I think “this is such a great idea! Everyone will love it!” And no one has reacted positively to it at all. I’ve always thought that if he hadn’t married her he’d still be plodding along.

Closed Thread