The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 07:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Well... with keeping in touch with family and friends with my Facebook account and its messenger, one thing I've discovered is that a lot of the advertising for products that I've actually bought from ads on Facebook have quite a long wait to be delivered. Why? They're shipped from China. Before everyone jumps on me for not "buying American", when the same tunic is sold and shipped from the US for $24.99 and the very same item is sold and shipped from China at $5.00, my wallet decides which company gets my business and I don't mind the wait.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen many ads from big corporations for their stuff on Facebook so I'm inclined to ask "where's the beef?"
No one should ever jump on you for not buying American; this is a free country, you can buy from wherever you want to. My mother bought some stuff from China and received the last of these packages a few months ago. I admit that I was kind of worried because of COVID - but once it was apparent nothing was wrong, it never even occurred to me to think "why didn't she buy from USA".

I'm on FB ,but only because I used to use it as a place to chat as Twitter was hard to have real conversations. I almost never use it, so I can't speak about ads...except to say that I don't think it's as popular as it used to be. I've never even thought about social media and ads, to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Oh, they love social media. They want to use it to get their point across, but don’t you dare have anything but a fawning opinion of them — otherwise you’re a hater and a bad person. They are beginning to act like a certain orange buffoon
They have huge egos, let's face it. No one wants to be ill-thought of, but when you're in the public eye, you sometimes just can't win; someone, somewhere, will find fault with you even if you are good person. It's a terrible idea to read comments in the comments sections of articles or on social media or just to read articles about you, period. Lou Holtz, former coach of Notre Dame Football, once said:

“You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose.”

It's a brilliant statement. I think it's wise for athletes or anyone in the public eye not to read the newspapers or pay attention to the media. You'll either get a big head or you'll think you're the worst person in history. As an example, the quarterback of the Chicago Bears has had some terrible struggles, and people said the most vile things about him (on Twitter, which is where he was most present), but also there were negative articles, etc.. In order to maintain his sanity, he completely went off social media; he didn't read any articles, listen to sports radio, etc...... Meghan and Harry should do this, but I'm afraid that their need to hear good things said about them outweighs any concerns about negative things being said about them.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
No one should ever jump on you for not buying American; this is a free country, you can buy from wherever you want to. My mother bought some stuff from China and received the last of these packages a few months ago. I admit that I was kind of worried because of COVID - but once it was apparent nothing was wrong, it never even occurred to me to think "why didn't she buy from USA".

I'm on FB ,but only because I used to use it as a place to chat as Twitter was hard to have real conversations. I almost never use it, so I can't speak about ads...except to say that I don't think it's as popular as it used to be. I've never even thought about social media and ads, to be honest.
Reminds me of the first package I got in the mail that came from China after Covid-19 was becoming a reality and lock downs were commonplace. The item was encased in bubble wrap and as my dear, childish hubby loves popping bubble wrap, I couldn't resist telling him "I read online to be cautious with bubble wrap from China as it has Chinese air with possibly the virus in it". It was a gotcha kind of thing made up by me but when he actually started inspecting the bubble wrap for print where it came from, it was then I realized it wasn't so good of a gotcha moment and came clean.

I think too I've taken the same attitude with the Sussexes and their endeavors for a "new life". Not every move is a "gotcha" or a "failure" or seems to be exactly what we perceive it to be based on reports from third parties all the way around. We watch and we see what develops. The fun is being interested in the first place in something outside of ourselves. The question remains for all of us. "Will they sink or swim".

Old 08-08-2020, 09:50 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
They have huge egos, let's face it. No one wants to be ill-thought of, but when you're in the public eye, you sometimes just can't win; someone, somewhere, will find fault with you even if you are good person. It's a terrible idea to read comments in the comments sections of articles or on social media or just to read articles about you, period. Lou Holtz, former coach of Notre Dame Football, once said:

“You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose.”

It's a brilliant statement. I think it's wise for athletes or anyone in the public eye not to read the newspapers or pay attention to the media. You'll either get a big head or you'll think you're the worst person in history. As an example, the quarterback of the Chicago Bears has had some terrible struggles, and people said the most vile things about him (on Twitter, which is where he was most present), but also there were negative articles, etc.. In order to maintain his sanity, he completely went off social media; he didn't read any articles, listen to sports radio, etc...... Meghan and Harry should do this, but I'm afraid that their need to hear good things said about them outweighs any concerns about negative things being said about them.
Your comment makes me remember back then in 2016 when the trio launched Head Together, they each wrote down what makes them happy. William wrote: “my children”. Kate wrote: “a walk”. Harry wrote: “making people smile”.

Harry’s is endearing, but it also implies that his happiness depends on other people's feeling. It's impossible to make everyone smile/happy (for he wrote "people" in general), and perhaps that's why other people's comments about him (even strangers) affect him too much and he's also care too much about it.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Reminds me of the first package I got in the mail that came from China after Covid-19 was becoming a reality and lock downs were commonplace. The item was encased in bubble wrap and as my dear, childish hubby loves popping bubble wrap, I couldn't resist telling him "I read online to be cautious with bubble wrap from China as it has Chinese air with possibly the virus in it". It was a gotcha kind of thing made up by me but when he actually started inspecting the bubble wrap for print where it came from, it was then I realized it wasn't so good of a gotcha moment and came clean.

I think too I've taken the same attitude with the Sussexes and their endeavors for a "new life". Not every move is a "gotcha" or a "failure" or seems to be exactly what we perceive it to be based on reports from third parties all the way around. We watch and we see what develops. The fun is being interested in the first place in something outside of ourselves. The question remains for all of us. "Will they sink or swim".
I LOVE popping the bubble wrap, too, lol.... and, I might have fallen for that as I tend to be gullible.

It's funny, but when I'm not on these boards, I don't think that much (if at all) about Meghan and Harry. As long as they keep saying and doing foolish things, I'll be critical - but I'm not rooting for them to keep putting their feet in their mouths. I would love it if there could be a reconciliation at some point; it's not a pleasing thing to see a family divided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
Your comment makes me remember back then in 2016 when the trio launched Head Together, they each wrote down what makes them happy. William wrote: “my children”. Kate wrote: “a walk”. Harry wrote: “making people smile”.

Harry’s is endearing, but it also implies that his happiness depends on other people's feeling. It's impossible to make everyone smile/happy (for he wrote "people" in general), and perhaps that's why other people's comments about him (even strangers) affect him too much and he's also care too much about it.

Oh, that's very interesting......I think you're right. It might be part of his personality, but I wonder if being the "spare" made him subconsciously seek out attention that he wouldn't have gotten otherwise as being in the shadow of his brother, the future king.

I don't recall reading about Harry being so concerned about public opinion, reading comments, scanning social media, etc.. before Meghan. Maybe he did and we just didn't know it, but I do wonder.....
Old 08-09-2020, 01:52 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Several posts that have little to do with the thread topic have been removed.

On that note, it is also time for a new thread:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2333366