General News about the Sussex Family, Part Three: August-September 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessRulz

Former Administrator
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Welcome to The Sussex Family's
General News, Part Three

Commencing August 9, 2020

The previous thread can be found here.
Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Meghan has rung a fan to thank her personally for organising funds for CAMFED in honour of various milestones in the Sussexes lives such as birthdays. Her birthday was last week. The supporters have raised nearly 80,000 dollars which is used to help with education etc for women and girls in Africa. A great contribution to a fine cause, IMO.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...thanks-personally-calls-fan-charity-work.html

I am posting this here since the Sussex residence thread is closed at the moment.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle secretly buy family home in Santa Barbara
By Emily Smith
August 11, 2020 | 7:26pm

Prince Harry and wife Meghan Markle have secretly bought a private family home in Santa Barbara — the place they have chosen to put down permanent roots and bring up their son Archie after leaving the British royal family.

Page Six can exclusively reveal that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have for six weeks been living in their own home in the upscale California community
[...]
“Harry and Meghan have been quietly living in their own home in Santa Barbara since early July.
[...]
When reached for comment, a spokesperson for the couple confirmed, “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex moved into their family home in July of this year. They have settled into the quiet privacy of their community since their arrival and hope that this will be respected for their neighbors, as well as for them as a family.”

https://pagesix.com/2020/08/11/prin...le-secretly-buy-family-home-in-santa-barbara/

Last edited:
I am posting this here since the Sussex residence thread is closed at the moment.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle secretly buy family home in Santa Barbara
By Emily Smith
August 11, 2020 | 7:26pm

Prince Harry and wife Meghan Markle have secretly bought a private family home in Santa Barbara — the place they have chosen to put down permanent roots and bring up their son Archie after leaving the British royal family.

Page Six can exclusively reveal that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have for six weeks been living in their own home in the upscale California community
[...]
“Harry and Meghan have been quietly living in their own home in Santa Barbara since early July.
[...]
When reached for comment, a spokesperson for the couple confirmed, “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex moved into their family home in July of this year. They have settled into the quiet privacy of their community since their arrival and hope that this will be respected for their neighbors, as well as for them as a family.”

https://pagesix.com/2020/08/11/prin...le-secretly-buy-family-home-in-santa-barbara/

Santa Barbara is a much quieter community than Los Angeles. I hope that this provides a peaceful and safe environment for them to raise their child.

I have to admit though, this is really the final nail in the coffin of their life in the U.K. The message is loud and clear: the US is their home now and where they’re setting their sights on the future. Their life in the UK and the royal family is behind them. They’re raising their son as an American.

It will be interesting to see how this American royalty/aristocracy plays out in the future, especially if Archie inherits the Duke of Sussex title. It’s fascinating to think of the possibility that in coming generations there may be British aristocrats who aren’t actually British. I believe that there’s a similar situation with the Duke of Atholl now... the title went to a distant relative born and raised in South Africa and now while they visit Scotland each year they aren’t really Scottish.

That dig they take at Tyler Perry's house and his taste, makes them look really ungrateful. He does so much for them, letting them crash at his place, letting them use his private jet, and likely aiding in security measures. Then they flounce out, take a swipe at his property, even though they know he's trying to sell it. And they do it on book release day to get maximum publicity for the house dig.

Something tells me Mr. Perry might hesitate to be so generous in the future.

That dig they take at Tyler Perry's house and his taste, makes them look really ungrateful. He does so much for them, letting them crash at his place, letting them use his private jet, and likely aiding in security measures. Then they flounce out, take a swipe at his property, even though they know he's trying to sell it. And they do it on book release day to get maximum publicity for the house dig.

Well Mr. Perry was no longer needed so under the bus he went. [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
[...]

They have bought this property near Santa Barbara so now at least the mantra that has been going for months by those who dislike them that they are freeloading on friends of friends will be stopped.

The little family are now living it seems in a nice private area in their own home. I wish them all the happiness and peace in the world for themselves and their baby son from now on. Sounds like a great place to bring up a family.

Reportedly they're worth around 33 million dollars putting their fortune together. How did they afford to buy a house in Santa Barbara where their neighbor's houses are 100 million dollars? Is Charles rich enough to pay for all of this?

Who said their neighbours' properties were worth $100 million? Oprah or Ellen's may be but there are some nice properties in Montecito for $10 million or less. And I doubt that Harry and Meghan have bought a property next door to celebrities anyway.

Average homes that can be had in Montecito.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Montecito_CA/overview

The supposed property has been identified already Curryong - if correct of course.

Less than seven million.

Very appealing place, lovely photos on property websites, and not in the Ennisbrook gated community that friends Oprah Winfrey and Ellen DeGeneres have their grander homes in.

I won't add to the speculation about the address here. If correct it will be all over the media soon enough no doubt.

Please note that posts containing speculative comments have been edited and subsequent responses removed. Please stick to facts rather than making speculative presumptions and interpretations - especially where there is no verifiable source. Thank you.

Frankly if he's fool enough to lend a house for months to people and not expect rent, He IS a fool indeed...

Who said their neighbours' properties were worth $100 million? Oprah or Ellen's may be but there are some nice properties in Montecito for $10 million or less. And I doubt that Harry and Meghan have bought a property next door to celebrities anyway.

Average homes that can be had in Montecito.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Montecito_CA/overview

and with a fortune of around £30K which is probably what they have, I don't know how they could spend even £10M on a house.

Plus the security costs. I suppose the Queen could afford all of this.

Not sure what you mean? The queen has properties and is very rich, but some of it is tied up in land... and a lot is probably in tight investments. And she's not going to buy a house for the Sussexes. If anyone helps them, it will probably be Charles

I don't think they have taken a dig at Tyler Perry's house. Some anonymous source has said that Harry prefers "more intimate homes with character" but that didn't come from their own spokesperson. The only official comment from their spokesperson is:
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex moved into their family home in July of this year. They have settled into the quiet privacy of their community since their arrival and hope that this will be respected for their neighbors, as well as for them as a family.”

Good for them. I’m sure it’s a nice feeling to actually own their home. It’s theirs. And they were able to do it without anyone knowing.

Santa Barbara is a lovely area. Know people who live there and it’s super charming. They are also far from uber rich, though they do well for themselves. I can see why it would be appealing to Harry and Meghan.

and with a fortune of around £30K which is probably what they have, I don't know how they could spend even £10M on a house.

The house has been quoted as bought for less than seven million dollars, not pounds sterling. 7 million dollars US is about 5 million,300 pounds approx.

Its still quite a chunk out of the fortune which they probably have as their private money.... when they have expenses like security, staff, living in LA...

Reportedly they're worth around 33 million dollars putting their fortune together. How did they afford to buy a house in Santa Barbara where their neighbor's houses are 100 million dollars? Is Charles rich enough to pay for all of this?

In the most expensive place in Santa Barbara, Hope Ranch area, the prices at real estate websites start from 3 million and go up for large plots with seaviews at around 8 million. Don't know where your prices are coming from?

But they aren't living in LA, but in a much quieter area. And I doubt they have a huge number of staff, probably none living in their home fulltime at the moment.

The DM has reported that Charles bought the house.
(I know the source is often not reliable).

The DM has reported that Charles bought the house.
(I know the source is often not reliable).

Unlikely.. but then charles may feel that if they dont have a house of their own, they will go on living in Tyler Perry's place....

Its so easy to look at living in LA and automatically dub it as living "Hollywood". its easy to look at living in Santa Barbara and because some rich dudes live there, the rest of the area is "posh". Windsor with its castle and the various royal estates, doesn't specifically mean someone moves to Windsor and spends a lot of money on an huge estate.

Santa Barbara, like LA and any other town, USA have communities of everyday people doing everyday jobs and raising their kids in the everyday school system there. Most have a "posh" side of town but they mold in and blend in with everyday life. Most towns also have their seedy side of life area too.

Harry and Meghan have chosen where they want to live in the US. What they spent on a home, what their mortgage is like, is their business. For all we know, the place could have been gotten at a deep discount because of the work it needs and H&M want to fix it up. Whatever. The main thing is they've found a place to settle down and be a family and it happens to be the Santa Barbara area.

Hopefully they will be able to maintain some privacy at home. I'm glad they were able to find a place in perhaps a quieter area.

LaRae

Buying real Estate is a good investment. Even better (when you have enough money) if you or a member of your family lives in that house. So does it matter if Charles bought it or not?
"The British taxpayer" should stop being judgmentally being interested in Harry & Meghan. They don't pay for them anymore, so H&M are now just private citizens the media has an unholy interest in. Charles may give them a part of Harry's inheritance already, so what - he has private money after all.

I did not read the book about them but learned from rather anti-monarchistic media that Harry had indeed reason to protect his wife from the Royal environment and the British tabloids with their claims about "the taxpayer" this and "the taxpayer" that.

And honestly, Harry was the spare of a new generation and, with William's children, is no longer needed as part of the working force of the RF. As lovely as that would be for me as a Royal watcher! But they did not mean a lot in the hierarchy of the RF as they were shown by the Royal establishment and so they resigned. They even would have been willing to work occasionally, but that was considered to be "an honour" for them and not wanted when they would live like private citizens.

I'm just sorry there was not enough patience in them to get a better deal, but considering the media and the people in Royal service who were stirring negative emotions against them, it was maybe too difficult for them. I find that I still can understand them, not as Royals, but as human beings and I hope they find what they are looking for in California and maybe can be convinced to work a bit for the RF later on.

As for little Archie: the climate in California is better than in London, he now lives in a gated community with other kids in a similar situation. Not like a poor princeling, but the son of two well-off public personas. More like his distant cousins of the former Greek Royal house who as well have an American for a mother and were raised there for a time. If I could choose for a future grandchild to grow upo like Prince George or Master Archie, I'd choose Archie's current life as well.

I would not call that a dig, I would never want to live in Buckingham Palace or Tyler Perry's house. They are too large and, in case of Buckingham Palace, too opulent. Doesn't mean I don't like them.

Besides, these are the words of some "source". What source.. the mailman?? Anyone could have said that, and since Harry has always lived in smaller homes since he lived on his own, it might well be true and simply a conclusion some editor took.

Also, I just took the liberty of looking at real estate ads, there are house in Santa Barbara costing under a million. Those are probably not the ones they bought since the lot would be too small, but still. There are perfectly affordable houses there.

Last edited:
Buying real Estate is a good investment. Even better (when you have enough money) if you or a member of your family lives in that house. So does it matter if Charles bought it or not?
"The British taxpayer" should stop being judgmentally being interested in Harry & Meghan. They don't pay for them anymore, so H&M are now just private citizens the media has an unholy interest in. Charles may give them a part of Harry's inheritance already, so what - he has private money after all.
Well, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it's not like the Sussexes left BRF to live a quiet, private life. They need press and popularity to earn their income - do you think companies will pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for two private citizens to speak at their event? Their (future) income depends on them being popular, so I can assure you, they WANT the press and people to talk about them. They wouldn't have a spokeperson talk about their new "family home" if that wasn't the case.

Why is it such a big deal if Charles did jump in and help financially with the purchase of the home for the Sussexes? Its not that unusual for a parent to do for their child. My parents were in no way rich or famous or had bottomless moneybags but when I first married, they chipped in 10K for us to buy our first home. The logic is that they wanted both my brother and I to have the help we needed then rather than wait for an "inheritance".

Harry and Meghan moved into their new home without fanfare and no one being the wiser. With the dramatic events of the exit from royal life and the subsequent pandemic, interest in these two people have been kept afloat rehashing, reminiscing and analyzing everything and anything in their lives and the multitude of books being released saying the same things over and over with tantalizing "peeing in the woods" tidbits (sheesh... who hasn't done that if they've gone primitive camping), Harry and Meghan are still "larger than life" people you either love to love or love to hate depending on your viewpoint.

If we were to write an article today of things they've actually done since March in a *current factual event only* thread (whoops! There *is* one!), we'd find a few things of interest such as virtual speeches on occasions and how Meghan's work with CAMFED has progressed and that Harry's Invictus Games will be in 2021. They, like the rest of us, aren't doing overly much due to the pandemic but going about their lives in private with Archie.

The "in your face" news 24/7 on what the latest book release promises to reveal will die down and copies will come for cheap in the bargain bins. Front page tabloid news will focus on something totally new and scandalous and Harry and Meghan will go about their lives without much fanfare at all.

Its my hope that H&M do establish their organization and do the work they want to do to make difference and that it works. Fandom is fickle. Somewhere, Twiggy now lives an ordinary life at 70 years old and will make international news when she passes on. Actions speak louder than words and from here on out, its up to H&M to paint the picture they want the world to see them in.

Sometimes obscurity is a blessing to have as a goal. Its taught me to appreciate being obscure and irrelevant to the masses "out there". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom