The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 07:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
And the thing is that if they are going to make money they DO need to use teh titles. A speech by Harry Windsor isn't going to have much drawing appeal... or if they sell some kind of product, I think they need it to be "approved/sold by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex" rather than by Harry MW and Meghan Marlkle. So from that point of view they CANT renounce the use of their Duke and Duchess titles..
I don't agree that they need their Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles to make money. They are much better known as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and can build brands around those two monikers. As to why they are using the titles, my theory is that, despite not too long ago telling people to "just call me Harry" or something like that, Harry's mindset is still entrenched in the British monarchy and their way of thinking and values, and to go back to referring to himself as simply Prince Harry (or Harry Mountbatten-Windsor or Harry Sussex) is a downgrade. In Meghan's case, I would have thought that she did not care, so maybe she is appeasing Harry, following his lead, or maybe, for whatever reasons, she is trying to rebrand herself as Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex (yeah I know it is not the proper use of her title). But I stand by my original point, I don't think either need to be known as The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to make money.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I don't agree that they need their Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles to make money. They are much better known as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and can build brands around those two monikers. As to why they are using the titles, my theory is that, despite not too long ago telling people to "just call me Harry" or something like that, Harry's mindset is still entrenched in the British monarchy and their way of thinking and values, and to go back to referring to himself as simply Prince Harry (or Harry Mountbatten-Windsor or Harry Sussex) is a downgrade. In Meghan's case, I would have thought that she did not care, so maybe she is appeasing Harry, or maybe, for whatever reasons, she is trying to rebrand herself as Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex (yeah I know it is not the proper use of her title). But I stand by my original point, I don't think either need to be known as The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to make money.
Then why DO they do it? They are living in the US now, its a republic.. Meghan seems to lean to the Left politically, (and Harry too).. and if she were to run for political office she would have to do so as Megh Markle or Megan M Windsor, not the Duchess of Sussex...
So if that's the way her thoughts are tending, why not start as they mean to go on and say "when the Crisis is over and we have a business/are making our living as public speakers (or whatever they go for), we will be known as Meg and Harry M Windsor, not Duke and Duchess of Sussex..."
But IMO they wont. Harry can still call himself Prince Harry but he hasn't got the HRH so the RF may have dissuaded himself form using his princely style although he still holds it... they want a brand that they can use for sale, and "Duke and Dss of Sussex" will attract attention..

Old 08-24-2020, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

While I agree that it would be much better for Harry and Meghan not to use their British titles, I am not sure that I agree that they could do and say 'whatever they want' without a title. For example, let's imagine Mike Tindall (no title) becoming extremely active as a member of the Lib-Dems or UKIP. I don't think that would go over well; he might be a private person, he is also still a member of the BRF. Or, what if Autumn while still married to Peter would have campaigned for the Conservative Party calling people to vote 'for change' (so against the Liberals led by Trudeau); would that be totally fine? Or could the Duchess of Gloucester meddle in Danish politics as long as she is not using her title?
Old 08-24-2020, 08:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I don't agree that they need their Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles to make money. They are much better known as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and can build brands around those two monikers. As to why they are using the titles, my theory is that, despite not too long ago telling people to "just call me Harry" or something like that, Harry's mindset is still entrenched in the British monarchy and their way of thinking and values, and to go back to referring to himself as simply Prince Harry (or Harry Mountbatten-Windsor or Harry Sussex) is a downgrade. In Meghan's case, I would have thought that she did not care, so maybe she is appeasing Harry, following his lead, or maybe, for whatever reasons, she is trying to rebrand herself as Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex (yeah I know it is not the proper use of her title). But I stand by my original point, I don't think either need to be known as The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to make money.
If she didn't care, why would she use her title? She is rumored to have said 'we are still royalty' after the decision was made that they could not longer use the HRH, so, it seems the status that her title brings to her is important to her.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
While I agree that it would be much better for Harry and Meghan not to use their British titles, I am not sure that I agree that they could do and say 'whatever they want' without a title. For example, let's imagine Mike Tindall (no title) becoming extremely active as a member of the Lib-Dems or UKIP. I don't think that would go over well; he might be a private person, he is also still a member of the BRF. Or, what if Autumn while still married to Peter would have campaigned for the Conservative Party calling people to vote 'for change' (so against the Liberals led by Trudeau); would that be totally fine? Or could the Duchess of Gloucester meddle in Danish politics as long as she is not using her title?
I agree with you and this applies to members born to the "junior branch" the Royal Family (i.e. Lady Helen Taylor or Flora Ogilvy). I would not be surprise if they are advised not to be publicly involved in politics or controversial topics. They probably can vote privately, but not publicly stating opinions.

The only UK politician that I can think of who has connection to the Royal Family is Ian Liddell-Grainger. He is the Conservative MP for Bridgwater and West Somerset. He is a great-great-great-grandson of Queen Victoria and great -grandson of Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone. He is very far from the throne, as he descend from Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany branch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Liddell-Grainger

I don't know at what point of the Royal Family's linage can the member hold public office without causing significant controversy (Like what happened to Meghan). I mean Boris Johnson is descended from George II and David Cameron descends from William IV
Old 08-24-2020, 08:57 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Then why DO they do it? They are living in the US now, its a republic.. Meghan seems to lean to the Left politically, (and Harry too).. and if she were to run for political office she would have to do so as Megh Markle or Megan M Windsor, not the Duchess of Sussex...
So if that's the way her thoughts are tending, why not start as they mean to go on and say "when the Crisis is over and we have a business/are making our living as public speakers (or whatever they go for), we will be known as Meg and Harry M Windsor, not Duke and Duchess of Sussex..."
But IMO they wont. Harry can still call himself Prince Harry but he hasn't got the HRH so the RF may have dissuaded himself form using his princely style although he still holds it... they want a brand that they can use for sale, and "Duke and Dss of Sussex" will attract attention..
I have already given my thoughts on why they are doing it. The US being a republic does not stop Sarah, Duchess of York / Sarah Ferguson / Fergie from referring to herself as a Duchess when she shills in the U.S. The same goes for the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and Diana and their activities in the U.S. and other republics. I was going to say that Meghan involving herself in political matters is unchartered territory, but that is arguable.

Quote:
If she didn't care, why would she use her title? She is rumored to have said 'we are still royalty' after the decision was made that they could not longer use the HRH, so, it seems the status that her title brings to her is important to her.
I thought she said Harry and Archie are royalty, but I may be misremembering. But also as you stated, it was a rumor so I don't know how much stock should be put in that assertion.

I already stated why I think she is still using it. When the Sussexes stepped back, it was stated that Harry and Meghan cannot use their HRH styling in their private / commercial activities but there were no restrictions on their using their dukedom titles. So as of this writing, they are using their dukedom titles because they can.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:26 AM
Majesty

Re Sarah F..yes she is referred to as Duchess of York in the US, because.. that's what she has to sell.... She uses her title to get work and I believe she is introduced on talk shows as the Duchess of York or Sarah Duchess of York. If she just called herself Sarah Ferguson, I don't think that she would have gotten the jobs for Weight watchers etc.
The Sussexes seems ot have been annoyed at the decision by the queen that they could not be in and out of royal life and that if they chose a business career over royal life.. they were barred from using HRH... If the 2 of them had been told that they could not use the Sussex title in business/public life, I don't think they would have much chance of any kind of work being offered. Maybe someone would pay to hear "Harry Windsor" talk about his life once or twice, soon after their departure but not for long... And Meghan Markle would be the same..
Perhaps indeed Meghan doesn't care much bout the title, but she's aware, cynically that it gives her an edge, in trying to get work.. If she and H want to be public speakers or do things like narrating films and documentaries, I don't believe that they would have much chance at all as M Markle or Harry MW.. but for a time the D of Sussex or Duchess of Sussex will have novelty value...
Old 08-24-2020, 09:41 AM
Courtier

Even a reader (Evelyne Eggins) of The Independent (Left-leaning with some Republicanism/anti-monarchy, similar to The Guardian) is criticising Meghan:

[...]
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a9684171.html

This isn't going well at all.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:14 AM
Majesty

This seems to be a letter from a reader rather than a contribution from a journalist..
but yes of course Meghan looks like an out of work actress trying to get noticed and get some work... that's what she's doing. I don't know if Harry's all that keen on getting noticed but Meg's aware probably that their window of opportunity may well close if they dont keep their names before the public and the influential people in the US, while there is still a semi lockdown situation...
Old 08-24-2020, 12:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
It would really depend on how it went if they did actually do this. If Birgitte and teh D of Glouceser retired to Denmark and she got involved in politics.. I suppose it would depend on how the Danish people took it? Same with Autumn Phillips.. if she moved to Canada and got involved with politics there, I suppose we'd have to see if the Canadians accepted it as a Can Citizen exercising her rights or if they would regard her as a membr of a foreign Royal family usng her positon to influence Canadian politics
Old 08-24-2020, 12:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
It would really depend on how it went if they did actually do this. If Birgitte and teh D of Glouceser retired to Denmark and she got involved in politics.. I suppose it would depend on how the Danish people took it? Same with Autumn Phillips.. if she moved to Canada and got involved with politics there, I suppose we'd have to see if the Canadians accepted it as a Can Citizen exercising her rights or if they would regard her as a membr of a foreign Royal family usng her positon to influence Canadian politics
Canada is a member of the Commonwealth, therefore the British Royal Family is not a foreign Royal family in Canada but rather our Canadian Royal family.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting. Old article about HMQ encouraging people to vote.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...-urges-2480341

So... color me a bit confused. Why the drama over Meghan (an American) saying the same to the people of her home country?
Old 08-24-2020, 01:37 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I cannot see MM EVER running for public office. She does not take criticism well.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post

So... color me a bit confused. Why the drama over Meghan (an American) saying the same to the people of her home country?
Shocking - Her 'woke' Majesty was also promoting a gender equality agenda.

She praised the gender balance of the Assembly, with last month's election seeing 30 men and 30 women voted in.

"How proud you must all be that this new Assembly is the first legislative body in Europe, perhaps in the world, to have equal numbers of women and men among its members," she said.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have found it amusing when ppl go thru all the pearl clutching about Meghan did X only to find other senior Royals had already done it.

LaRae
Old 08-24-2020, 02:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:

The Queen: *on her own *telling people to vote

Meghan: *surrounded by leaders in one political party *telling people to vote *telling people they deserve "change," speaking in the context of a two-party system with an incumbent running

A stretch to say these are close to the same. In context, it is very clear that Meghan is endorsing a particular party.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:37 PM
Nobility

Let’s not forget Meghan has bad form straying into politics like her very first overseas tour which was just after the referendum in Ireland:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b0bc69a7847bfb
Old 08-24-2020, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Because she isn't 'just in general' encouraging people to vote; nor is she their head of state who may encourage people to take part in their civic duties so the democratic institutions may flourish - all of this said AFTER the turn out at the elections was low.

Instead, in the midst of election season she is clearly advocating to vote for one party - calling on people to vote because 'we all know what's at stake... I know it' ... that we need and deserve change. And in doing so, using the platform she has because she married a British prince.

So, two completely incomparable situations.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
Let’s not forget Meghan has bad form straying into politics like her very first overseas tour which was just after the referendum in Ireland:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b0bc69a7847bfb
So someone Meghan talked to said she "seemed pleased" with the result, which isn't the same as straying into politics is it. If you think it is, what's your view of our then Prime Minister saying that The Queen "purred" down the phone when told the result of the Scottish independence referendum?
Old 08-24-2020, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

The goalposts keep moving. So first it was wrong to talk about voting and politics but now it’s not as long as it’s generic? Meghan didn’t say one name. She said vote.

Closed Thread