General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries. Trump just sent a passionate tweet stating his great friendship with HMQ and the US will not pay.

American here and no there won’t be a huge outcry. She and Archie are Americans. Harry is Diana’s son. And we have far bigger fish to fry than to worry about the security costs of the Sussexes. It’s an election year. COVID-19 is running rampant due to incompetence. So, nah...they are fine. Welcome home, Meghan.

I think you are projecting your own personal approval here.

American here, also, and yes the outcry would be YUGE.

Paying for their security is absolutely a big fish that we should fry considering states and the federal government are hemorrhaging money right now just trying to keep Americans alive and off the streets. Paying for them would be incredibly tasteless and beyond absurd ever, but especially right now.

America was never paying for them. As the president, Trump would (should!) know these basic facts. The Daily Mail writing up an article caught his attention but at least this answers it and gives the papers more stuff to write about. Now Trump can rant about his ratings and Meghan Markle. Fun times.

No worries. Trump just sent a passionate tweet stating his great friendship with HMQ and the US will not pay.
OMG do you think he follows this forum! [emoji3526]

They not doing anything different than the rest of the BRF. Posting helpful tips on social media and isolating themselves in their various second homes.

yes they have. They have wlaked out on tehir duties, and moved abroad. Now they are moving to another country, and probably expecting someone else to pay for their security.

I think Corona has a huge impact on their agenda. Nobody will care for them in Britain for a very long time, they are not present in time of need and no matter how many altruistic posts they publish on their website, who cares?

And of course when Corona has finished with the world, no American will want to pay for foreign ex-royals, they will have their own A list celebrities lined up for whatever job the Sussexes were keen on, I am sorry but their momentum for global fame has gone.

Concise assessment. The moment has passed.

I'm an American too and I disagree. Americans won't want to pay for their security anymore than Canadians did. Especially now with people out of work and struggling to make ends meet due to COVID-19 shutdowns.

Yes, Meghan and Archie are Americans but they don't require security as American citizens, they require it because they are members of a foreign royal family. The idea that the taxpayers of whatever country they chose to live in should pay their security is absurd.

My thoughts exactly. Speaking as an American. They can pay for their own security. We do have bigger problems- and their security shouldn’t be our problem.

As far as I'm aware neither Harry or Meghan have asked for the US to pay for their security arrangements (nor have they asked the UK to do so) so President Trump needn't worry himself.

I’m sure that her mother will be happy to have the family close, but I do find it interesting that they supposedly left the UK to get away from all the media attention and fanfare, only to move to Los Angeles, the world capital of media attention and fanfare.

As far as I'm aware neither Harry or Meghan have asked for the US to pay for their security arrangements (nor have they asked the UK to do so) so President Trump needn't worry himself.

Sorry to disagree with this point, but they have , they expected the situation with regards security provided by the Met police to continue,. On their website , at the time of the announcement they did refer to Harry as being a prince and therefore entitled to security provided by the UK. ( I have paraphrased that).
I have checked the website tonight and they have changed the wording, do not know when as I do not look at it on a regular basis. They now say that security is part of the Home Office and is not discussed.
Obviously I am not aware of anything relating to the USA

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. Speaking as an American. They can pay for their own security. We do have bigger problems- and their security shouldn’t be our problem.

Especially since Harry gave up his position in the Royal family. He just wants to be plain old Harry? That’s fine, but plain old Harry’s don’t get the U.S. - or any other nation - to pay for their security. Sorry, they’re on their own....the way they wanted it

Sorry to disagree with this point, but they have. On their website , at the time of the announcement they did refer to Harry as being a prince and therefore entitled to security ( I have paraphrased that).
I have checked the website tonight and they have changed the wording, do not know when as I do not look at it on a regular basis. They now say that security is part of the Home Office and is not discussed.

Sorry do you mean H and Meg referred to Harry beng a prince and entitled to security? Possibly if TRump's mentioned it, ther have been feelers to the American Govt to ask them to cover security for a time at least.

To quote my mother, “he’s worried about the wrong thing”. Hope all is well with the Sussexes wherever they are. Same to all of you.

Sorry do you mean H and Meg referred to Harry beng a prince and entitled to security? Possibly if TRump's mentioned it, ther have been feelers to the American Govt to ask them to cover security for a time at least.

I have edited my original post as I realised I had not made my meaning as clear as it should have been, I was referring to the UK security, not the USA.
Apologies, I need to read my posts again before posting, I know what I am thinking, you all need to read my mind LOL

I have edited my original post as I realised I had not made my meaning as clear as it should have been, I was referring to the UK security, not the USA.
Apologies, I need to read my posts again before posting, I know what I am thinking, you all need to read my mind LOL

Thanks. I think that the UK wont be too keen to pay for their security, esp if it has to be abroad, and its complicated and expensive to arrange. So wherever they go, nobody is going to want to pay. I know Trump is prone to ramble on about whatever takes his fancy, but all the same If He si saying something abot security it is possible that there have been feelers put out, asking if the US govt will pay for them as VIPs visitors for a short time at least.

When did Harry and Meghan request this? All this is coming from the Daily Mail article that a lot of the US right wing media is spreading around which is what Trump is clearly responding too. Even in that article is didn't state that asked or that the US would, but that they *could* ask him. Then he jumped on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sure that her mother will be happy to have the family close, but I do find it interesting that they supposedly left the UK to get away from all the media attention and fanfare, only to move to Los Angeles, the world capital of media attention and fanfare.
I think the difference is that Meghan will be close to her mother and she was born and raised in LA. It is a city she is most certainly comfortable with.

Also when I think of being "financially independent" that requires a big city like either NY or LA. First the above reasons they went with LA I guess.

Wasn't part of the deal that Prince Charles would continue to foot some of their Bill's. Can't he pick up their security tab?

I'm not surprised that the Sussexes have moved to LA. After all, as has been mentioned, it's where Doria lives, so it's also not surprising that Meghan wants to be close to her mother.

Update:

A spokesperson for Harry and Meghan has just told ITV that “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have no plans to ask the U.S. government for security resources. Privately funded security arrangements have been made.”

Wasn't part of the deal that Prince Charles would continue to foot some of their Bill's. Can't he pick up their security tab?

Even if he did , the costs are much more than they would be if they had remained in the UK.
The UK is entering a period of uncertainty, businesses closed, some may never open again. Lost jobs, suddenly people have lost their income.
Even when this is over , we will be paying back the debt for generations through our taxes.
They expect millions for their security and we have citizens who cannot pay their rent next week.

It doesn't matter who picks up the bill unless it is H and M themselves it will cause bad feeling. IMO

I think the difference is that Meghan will be close to her mother and she was born and raised in LA. It is a city she is most certainly comfortable with.

Also when I think of being "financially independent" that requires a big city like either NY or LA. First the above reasons they went with LA I guess.

So why didn't they go there In January and decide to settle there and find work tehre?

Because Meghan was also happy and comfortable in Canada, a country she lived in for seven years while filming Suits. The family were happy there. However, I would imagine the couple were in Canada on tourist visas, and as such there were/are restrictions on taking up paid work.

Because Meghan was also happy and comfortable in Canada, a country she lived in for seven years while filming Suits. The family were happy there. However, I would imagine the couple were in Canada on tourist visas, and as such there were/are restrictions on taking up paid work.

and that would have been obvious from Day 1, that they were visitors in Canada and there would be problems. Anyway its a bit moot for the moment

My thoughts were that Vancouver Island was just a refuge that they used during their winter break that spilled into January for them to plot their next move.
So why didn't they go there In January and decide to settle there and find work tehre?

Well the couple can pay for their security from the money they are getting from Charles plus their own private wealth in addition to whatever income they hope to generate from their business ventures.
Even if he did , the costs are much more than they would be if they had remained in the UK.
The UK is entering a period of uncertainty, businesses closed, some may never open again. Lost jobs, suddenly people have lost their income.
Even when this is over , we will be paying back the debt for generations through our taxes.
They expect millions for their security and we have citizens who cannot pay their rent next week.

It doesn't matter who picks up the bill unless it is H and M themselves it will cause bad feeling. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

It's so awesome to have a leader who only speaks on matters after he's been fully briefed on situations, and verifies all press reports before commenting. :whistling:

Update:

A spokesperson for Harry and Meghan has just told ITV that “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have no plans to ask the U.S. government for security resources. Privately funded security arrangements have been made.”

That is good.
Those security arrangements were likely made before the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom