General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Gloria Steinem. Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Emma Watson. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Malala Yousafzai.

These are just a few influential women who have become pillars of strength and inspiration in the fight for gender equality and Meghan Markle has become another distinguished advocate for women’s rights after the royal tour to Africa with Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex.

Although supporting charitable causes is not new to Meghan or the Royals, her recent visit to South Africa resonated with locals and the rest of the world because she used it as an opportunity to highlight gender-based violence, a profound issue that’s been making headlines around the world as the war on women intensifies.“

African Impact

Last edited:
:previous:

And yet we all know at the end of the day it’s not going to make much difference. Not to say we don’t try but a lot this stuff doesn’t translate to the countries where it’s needed.

Religion is a powerful force and unfortunately it’s keeps women and girls excluded from many opportunities.

When I was in Afghanistan, we lobbied for years to build a school for girls. We ultimately received permission from the local authorities but within weeks it was demolished. And on it goes.

Much bigger names than Meghan Markle have fought this issue for years with really not much success. The change will have to come from within the countries themselves.

And yet we all know at the end of the day it’s not going to make much difference. Not to say we don’t try but a lot this stuff doesn’t translate to the countries where it’s needed.

Religion is a powerful force and unfortunately it’s keeps women and girls excluded from many opportunities.

When I was in Afghanistan, we lobbied for years to build a school for girls. We ultimately received permission from the local authorities but within weeks it was demolished. And on it goes.

Much bigger names than Meghan Markle have fought this issue for years with really not much success. The change will have to come from within the countries themselves.

You make a very good point - and deserve a big thank you for your effort to build a school in Afghanistan - but IMO it's even less likely change if the rest of the world remains silent.

The head of state is a women, two former prime ministers are women, the first minister of Scotland is a women, the head of the metropolitan police is a women.

‘Girl power’ has been alive and kicking for sometime.

It is great that the Head of State is a woman, but we all know it is because she did not have a brother. It is good that the Berth Agreement of 2011 replaced the male-preference with absolute-primogeniture, but still a lot needs to be done because still the boys and girls in her own family are not treated equally.

So IMO, International Day of the Girl still needs to be observed to try and bring worldwide awareness to the gender inequality.

So BRAVO to The Duchess of Sussex for posting a video in support of #InternationalDayoftheGirl.

Last edited:

As someone who is still in this work, I beg to differ. It DOES make a difference in ways big and small.

I am sorry the school didn't work out, but I can cite of examples of projects I've worked on in Afghanistan (and other places) that have been successful and endured, sometimes against incredible odds and violence, that have improved the outcomes of the girls in our goal communities. Thats not a brag, the success was because of smart partnership between international orgs and innovative and persistent Afghani women leaders on the ground. Not every project works, many don't. That is true for just about any issue anywhere. Perhaps conditions have changed since your time.

Progress isn't overnight. Its years, decades, generations of work. And its cumulative. The Duchess of Sussex is a massive name right name and is lending her voice to critical work globally while working locally to empower women in her new home country. Her work and everyone who works on this critical issue is to be applauded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note that some posts have been edited or deleted (in response to edited posts) as the comments are not helpful. If people wish to debate topics that would otherwise de-rail the thread, they may do so my private message. Thank you.

Last edited:
It is great that the Head of State is a woman, but we all know it is because she did not have a brother. It is good that the Berth Agreement of 2011 replaced the male-preference with absolute-primogeniture, but still a lot needs to be done because still the boys and girls in her own family are not treated equally.

So IMO, International Day of the Girl still needs to be observed to try and bring worldwide awareness to the gender inequality.

So BRAVO to The Duchess of Sussex for posting a video in support of #InternationalDayoftheGirl.

I agree. Here in England, there are still some people that share such outdated views about women and girls - a few years ago, a UKIP member said that he thought women shouldn't be allowed to wear trousers, as an example. Whilst we've made enormous progress, as you have said, a lot still needs to be done and as a woman living in Britain a lot of people - women included, not just men - share very stereotypical and unrealistic sexist views of women. I think International Day of the Girl isn't widely observed enough - I personally hadn't heard of the day until I started regularly following the royals.

I think International Day of the Girl isn't widely observed enough - I personally hadn't heard of the day until I started regularly following the royals.

It's the first time I read about it, so learned something new today. I do know about international women's day, and would think that girls are included in that as well; so wasn't aware of a need for an international day of the girl either... I assume it focuses more on schooling etc while International Women's Day focuses more on career opportunities etc?! I'd say they are tied together and in general I don't care that much about 'day of X or Y' but it makes sense for others to jump on the band wagon and promote a cause they are also promoting the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Even among religious communities there is a movement to expand women's rights and education. Perhaps in tighter boundaries but it is still there.

I attended my first International day of the girl (first year held) at the Centre for South Asian Women in my city. A centre for Muslim women. More then half the people there were men. Were fathers, brothers, and husbands there who were saying its time to change the dialogue about how the women in our society are treated. Standing up saying they would support their wives and daughters in their pursuits. The friend who invited me is a hijabi, and deals with so many people thinking every day that she is being forced to wear it, and that she has less rights then a man. She is one of the only women (including older women like her grandmother) who wears one. Her mother and grandmother only cover their head at mosque. She was working at the centre while working on her masters degree in psychology.

There is a difference between Internaional women's day and international day of the girl. But they both play a needed role in society. In educating people who don't get what still needs to be done in society.

Even in countries of priviledge for women like Canada and the UK, the wage gap is ridiculous, though getting smaller as time goes on. The role of women in power is small and only just building. Yes the UK has had two female prime ministers, but many of the queen's realms have not. Canada has Never had an Elected female prime minister (we had one who was shortly in office but because the PM resigned before election, and she took over the party).

International day of the girl is different. It focusses on education and potential. It makes me scream when I read 'well feminists don't get some women want to be nurses and house wives'. Oh we Do get it, we are not ignorant or close minded. And if a woman Chooses these paths, we are all for it. But it needs to be their choice and they need to have the tools to make other choices to.

Education is key. And is where real change can happen. This is where Meghan was heavily involved for years and where she is still showing an interest.

Two key areas she has worked with:

-water: because of no access to fresh water, some girls have to walk miles to get water for their home. They are forced to not to go to school, so they can make these walks every day for their family. By groups like World vision building simple wells in the village, girls are able to go to school like boys.

-sanitation: As sad as it is to say when girls hit puberty in some countries, they miss a lot of school or drop out, due to lack of sanitary products and facilities during their menstrual cycles. Providing access to such things, something so simple most take for granted, again allows those girls to focus on education.

It goes further into things like working conditions, forced child marriage and sexual violence. Meghan likely could do well working with Camilla and Eugenie on some of their projects. I notice Sophie is focussed on sexual violence on her upcoming trip to Kossovo.

This video was great, and I hope to see more of it from Meghan. I have no doubt we will. From her patronages, and focus on her tours so far, we see a real drive towards both education and female empowerment.

A wonderful & inspirational video from Duchess Meghan on this important day. Sweet to see the clip of an 11 year old Meghan, emphasizes that what may seem like something small today, may have even greater impact in the future. Bravo to leaders & doers who try to have a positive impact & do not settle for the negativity of others. Even if it encourages 1 person, gives some hope, it’s an accomplishment & appreciated.

The fact that International Day of the Girl isn't celebrated in some countries highlights the fact that battle hasn't been won and still needs to be fought.

Should we stop speaking out about democracy - another western progressive concept some countries don't share?

Keep in mind gender equality hasn't always been a western value. Two of the UK's prime ministers have been women but only in the past 40 years. The other 60 prime ministers were all men. Just one hundred years ago western society regarded wife abuse as a "private family matter" and authorities refused to intervene.

Yes, some countries have very different values than ours. But that doesn't mean we close our eyes to the abuses we see. And just because we aren't likely to see these countries change in our lifetime doesn't mean we shouldn't keep chipping away at the abuses. You do what you can then you pass the ammunition on to the next generation. It's not "idealism." It's simply the way all social movements in the real world work.

No one's saying International Day of the Girl is going to change the world. But it's an opportunity to shine a spotlight on the issues girls face in other countries.

As the UN website states:
"International days are occasions to educate the public on issues of concern, to mobilize political will and resources to address global problems, and to celebrate and reinforce achievements of humanity."

Several posts stemming from an over-the-top criticism have been removed.

Last edited:
Well, I haven´t done a post about the controversy around the Sussexes so far - I don´t know if this is the correct thread to do it - still, I would like to share a few thoughts about it.

Before, I have to tell you that I am a pretty "hard core" Royalist/ Monarchist (I´am not a "fan"!, like you could be a fan of Lady Gaga or Miss Jolie). I started collecting magazine clippings about Royalty since my childhood, put Harry and William as babies in little frames on my desk in my nursery and funny other things...
I just want to say that I feel so connected to The Queen and her family (and some other royal families, too) and I have so much sympathy for them, much more would be pretty impossible.

So, what I wanted to say about Harry and Meghan is that I am concerned about in what direction this is going. Because I love the royal families so much I just cannot understand why, since about some years, they constantly keep saying the most personal of things which are of nobodys business except their own family?! It´so often about things you would normally only share with very selected family members, the best of friends or your therapist!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...n-behind-brave/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

It was the right thing to do of William and Harry to open up about how much of a loss their mother´s early death was and, in connection with their mental health charity (which indeed is a very important subject in our society!), stating how important it is to open up, to speak with someone about ones problems. Once, twice is ok. But this seems to become slowly of a "compulsion" they obviously can´t let go anymore. I, who had so much understanding and sympathy about the Prince´s loss 22 years ago become a bit, I must confess, driven off by all this "Oh my mother here", "my mother was the greatest", "Oh I will miss her forever" etc etc...

Of course this is a never completely healing wound, of course they will pity this early loss for the rest of their lives. But please, Princes Harry and William, mourn your mother together, in private, with your wives, tell your children about how wonderful their grandmother was - all this helps to cope!

But dragging this tragedy into public and media discussion over and over again won´t help the Princes themselves, nor the charity causes they represent and never the monarchy! If someone acts as a parton of a charity and then breaks down during his official speech because, again, he talks about personal things, he mixes his job, his duty (whatever you might call it) with his personal matters and puts this first before the job he actually was present for!

Everything at the moment seems to become covered up by Harry and Meghan´s problems with the media and family members. Where are the things Royalty is really there for? The Monarchy is here to be there for the people, to represent them in the most dignified way home and abroad, to be a voice for minorities, for the poor! Where are the serious discussions about their work, their charities WITHOUT arguments about their proper or not-so-proper public appearences?!

Harry was the star of the RF, loved by virtually anybody, men and women. What happened since he got married? For 15, almost 20 years he was my hero. Today I find him often simply annoying...
Why is the Queen held in such high regard? Why are so many people in Japan so reverential towards the japanese emperial family? Because they keep their mouth shut about personal things and speak only when their task requires for it!

In my opinion the desire of what is liked to be called "modern monarchy", giving interviews on virtually a daily basis, sharing your private things with a world audience, demonstrating constantly "We are nothing special, no, we are just like you!", is a road that leads into nowhere and is neither helpful for us, the media nor the Royals themselves!

Well, I haven´t done a post about the controversy around the Sussexes so far - I don´t know if this is the correct thread to do it - still, I would like to share a few thoughts about it.

Before, I have to tell you that I am a pretty "hard core" Royalist/ Monarchist (I´am not a "fan"!, like you could be a fan of Lady Gaga or Miss Jolie). I started collecting magazine clippings about Royalty since my childhood, put Harry and William as babies in little frames on my desk in my nursery and funny other things...
I just want to say that I feel so connected to The Queen and her family (and some other royal families, too) and I have so much sympathy for them, much more would be pretty impossible.

So, what I wanted to say about Harry and Meghan is that I am concerned about in what direction this is going. Because I love the royal families so much I just cannot understand why, since about some years, they constantly keep saying the most personal of things which are of nobodys business except their own family?! It´so often about things you would normally only share with very selected family members, the best of friends or your therapist!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...n-behind-brave/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

It was the right thing to do of William and Harry to open up about how much of a loss their mother´s early death was and, in connection with their mental health charity (which indeed is a very important subject in our society!), stating how important it is to open up, to speak with someone about ones problems. Once, twice is ok. But this seems to become slowly of a "compulsion" they obviously can´t let go anymore. I, who had so much understanding and sympathy about the Prince´s loss 22 years ago become a bit, I must confess, driven off by all this "Oh my mother here", "my mother was the greatest", "Oh I will miss her forever" etc etc...

Of course this is a never completely healing wound, of course they will pity this early loss for the rest of their lives. But please, Princes Harry and William, mourn your mother together, in private, with your wives, tell your children about how wonderful their grandmother was - all this helps to cope!

But dragging this tragedy into public and media discussion over and over again won´t help the Princes themselves, nor the charity causes they represent and never the monarchy! If someone acts as a parton of a charity and then breaks down during his official speech because, again, he talks about personal things, he mixes his job, his duty (whatever you might call it) with his personal matters and puts this first before the job he actually was present for!

Everything at the moment seems to become covered up by Harry and Meghan´s problems with the media and family members. Where are the things Royalty is really there for? The Monarchy is here to be there for the people, to represent them in the most dignified way home and abroad, to be a voice for minorities, for the poor! Where are the serious discussions about their work, their charities WITHOUT arguments about their proper or not-so-proper public appearences?!

Harry was the star of the RF, loved by virtually anybody, men and women. What happened since he got married? For 15, almost 20 years he was my hero. Today I find him often simply annoying...
Why is the Queen held in such high regard? Why are so many people in Japan so reverential towards the japanese emperial family? Because they keep their mouth shut about personal things and speak only when their task requires for it!

In my opinion the desire of what is liked to be called "modern monarchy", giving interviews on virtually a daily basis, sharing your private things with a world audience, demonstrating constantly "We are nothing special, no, we are just like you!", is a road that leads into nowhere and is neither helpful for us, the media nor the Royals themselves!

I have to say that I agree with quite a lot of what you say.

I see it as putting one's money where one's mouth is. Harry actively campaigns for mental health and urges people to start a conversation, tells them that they're not alone with having issues and to be open about one's issues. That's what he's done.

“How strange that we should ordinarily feel compelled to hide our wounds when we are all wounded! Community requires the ability to expose our wounds and weaknesses to our fellow creatures. It also requires the ability to be affected by the wounds of others... But even more important is the love that arises among us when we share, both ways, our woundedness.”

M. Scott Peck from "The Road Less Traveled"

That's our Harry in a nutshell. ?

I have to say that I agree with quite a lot of what you say.

Me too.
But in the modern era, it often seems as if full disclosure is not only a positive thing, but a necessary one as well.
I find that pov debatable.

well said. I really agree with quite a lot in your post.

I suppose at the end of the day it’ll be the British press and the British public who’ll decide if it’ll be an ‘issue’. Royal fans and commentators will have little say.

[...] leaving the BRF is rIdiculous. It would be letting these bullies win and they certainly won't lay off if they did leave. They will try to turn them into the Duke and Duchess of Windsor 2.0.

If they are spending Thanksgiving with Doria they are blessed with one family member in their corner. Christmas at Sandringham is going to be ... who knows? The press will be out with body language experts.

*They got married in a large ceremony...others have as well.
Never heard they were criticised for having a "large wedding ceremony". I guess they would have gotten criticised if they didn´t. So, well done H and M but not an example for how they are treated badly...

There were complaints regarding the cost and made up expenses by the media until the official security cost came out.

*Go on tours representing the UK....others have done that.
*Help charities out with fundraising projects....check that one off as well.
*Speak up on behalf of women....royals have done that as well.
But with the focus and weight on representing on this tour and charities and not so much talk about the mean press and how hard and awful everything is!

*Have elaborate parties (especially birthday parties)...
Here it´s about style and taste. M. could have invited some friends to a salon in Kensington Palace and still would have had the same fun with the same baby presents. But no, it had to be NY city in a posh hotel (I think it was). Again, here taste between Europe and America differ also. In Europe we do private things like these a bit more modest, not like upstarts.

Europe does not do things more modest or private.... there were pi

*Wear jeans to Wimbledon... also done
Who from the Royal Family ever wore jeans in Wimbledon?! In the 1970s and 80s it was the current Dss of Kent: never jeans; before that, her mother-in-law: certainly no jeans!!! Princess Diana never wore jeans in Wimbledon so never did her daughter-in-law Catherine.
But this was not about wearing jeans! It was about Meghan acting like a primadonna by titeling her stay there "private" and forbode being pictures taken of her!

*Visit famous friends during vacations/holidays...again done
Others didn´t damn air pollution and didn´t claim whenever possible how important it is to save our planet and that everyone has to do his/ her bit to help the environment and minimize carbon dioxide while going on private jets flights within days. They could have invited old Elton, saying, "Elton, you know about our campaigns, you know how it will look like when we fly all these miles down to your retreat with a private plane! Just let´s delay it a few weeks and come to our house at Frogmore!"
What´s so hard about that? Is that too much of a "sacrifice"? I mean, do they want to be taken seriously or not?!

*Spend money renovating a home for their family....
The criticism was targeted against the height of the costs, not that they had to "renovate"...

*Touch baby bumpy, eat avocados, close car doors... check, check, check
*Wear one sleeve or sleeveless dresses...done
Haven´t heard about these things, sounds tabloid to me. Nothing to get mad at these peanuts.

*Wedding- there were made up expenses and exaggerated cost by the media and didn't settle down until the official cost came out and the RRs had to eat their words.

*Your response to speak up on behalf of women doesn't make much sense to me, Meghan does it with her patronages, special projects and with all three tours and were the topics....anyone who watched the tour saw it.

*Don't kid yourself Europeans aren't more modest with their partying we actually saw some of the royal family share pictures of these elaborate parties. We didn't see any from Meghan's shower. As for the location that is determined by the host and were the majority of the people can met.

*Wimbledon- the fact is it has been done and just because Diana or Catherine didn't do it doesn't make it not royal and doesn't mean Meghan has to do whatever they did/do.

*The comment about the vacations doesn't make any sense to me either because William and Charles both have spoken out about climate changes and also take private jets and also accept gifts/vacations from friends.

*The renovations at FC have been some of the cheapest of all of the royal revonvations.

*The things you are dismissing as tabloids is part of the WHOLE problem, these tabloids are violating their privacy, making up things and spreading lies about the couple which are then taken as truth by many. and it is Harry and Meghan who taken the heat because they dare stand up to those actions.

It is obvious that there have been lots of things going on and wrong.

The newspapers have published tittle tattle.
The have criticised H and M and probably printed rubbish.

Social media has been vile, and that is what we are on.

The Sussexs have done things differently and it didn't always go down well. They are not perfect , although not everybody on here will agree with that.

Nobody on here can possibly know what went on behind the scenes, was help offered, not offered, refused. Advice not given or refused.

We need to accept we do not know, by mis calling the rest of the family you are doing what you accuse the media of doing to the Sussexs.

Somebody spoke about Meghan riding in the car to church with the queen, well she has been in Balmoral all summer, they could have visited.

Article by Allison Pearson [Daily Telegraph] on the current issues facing the Duke and Duchess - with 'pointers' as to how best address them..

Attachments

• sussex 2.jpg
    sussex 2.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 164
  • sussex3.jpg
    sussex3.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 151
  • sussex 4.jpg
    sussex 4.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 159
  • sussex 5.jpg
    sussex 5.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Article by Allison Pearson [Daily Telegraph] on the current issues facing the Duke and Duchess - with 'pointers' as to how best address them..

Well....she's not exactly totally wrong. A great many of these pointers are very much putting into print exactly what's being said amongst the common people at the moment.

Funny how there’s absolutely no acknowledgement of the bullying campaign Meghan has been hit with in that long exhausting article, Allison Pearson, wrote.

I don’t believe Harry and Meghan have a problem with the burden of their royal roles and duties — that people are hinting on them to abandon. From what I gather — they have a problem with the campaign that’s against them. No royal or anyone else can properly function with their lives as new parents and with a demanding job when there’s an ongoing unjust smear campaign against them. The Sussexes are being asked to do the impossible.

IMO, what Pearson and others in the press want Harry and Meghan to do is accept the media abuse and sit down somewhere. The responses from some in the press to Harry and Meghan’s very understandable concerns is rather heartless. Of course, I think that was expected. They’re having fun doing this to the couple. I think Harry and Meghan speaking out about is spoiling their fun.

I still say this couple need the family to publicly back them and help others understand their concern over the situation. The family silence isn’t helping at all, IMO.

Last edited:
But here's the thing...I would guess that at one point or another we've all been the target of a "smear campaign" or a mean-girls type situation. I know I have both at school and a work at one point or another over the years. Yes, it's hard. Yes, it makes it hard to function and takes a toll on your physical and mental health. However, coming out with a sob story and a "woe is me" kind of story, especially when it's very poorly timed (filming that in Africa after meeting limbless children was poorly timed, period) does not help your case. It makes you look whiny.

Most of us at one point or another have had to bite our lips, bide our time, and wait it out until the situation got better or we removed ourselves and found another position, a different school, etc. What they've done is basically the equivalent of coming home sad about being bullied, allowed your mother to talk to the school, the school talks to the bullies, and the bullying is made even worse than it would have been if you'd just kept your mouth shut. Is it right? No. It isn't right. But it is true. This whole sob story, feel bad for us, poor little rich girl, woe is me routine is only going to backfire if it hasn't already because of the way it was put out there, the way it was perceived, and the way they went about it (poor timing, etc.).

General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 -

Well....she's not exactly totally wrong. A great many of these pointers are very much putting into print exactly what's being said amongst the common people at the moment.

She’s not totally wrong. Agreed.

IMO- the best advice was basically to focus on all the considerable good in your life and not the press. (Not her exact words- but the general idea.) They have so much going for them it’s ridiculous. They really do. They can and have done a lot of good. They have things in their lives other people would love- each other, a healthy child, no money issues, etc. Don’t let the press ruin your life. That IS a choice.

By all means- sue when necessary.... and move on. Meghan said she’d block out the noise- so do so. Why give them so much power? It’s lousy. I agree. But- everyone has had their fair share of bad press. Camilla’s was probably the worst.

I don’t agree with everything- to suggest William is only communicating with Harry by the media- no one has a clue what their relationship really is right now- much less communication methods.

I do get tired of reading Meghan traveled across the ocean to watch a tennis match. She went to support her friend Serena. Not just watch a game. That changes the context a lot.

But she made a lot of fair points. The timing was poor- during their trip to Africa is a bad time to complain, the release over shadowed both their work and the BRF’s other big projects, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom