General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't hit the stands but already controversy. The cover is similar to the book cover by Australian authors

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ooks-like-Australian-book-helped-produce.html

I can't believe Vogue's legal department didn't go over the issue without making sure there is no exposure to a charge of plagiarism. The difference I see is different title and no mirror.

Good thing there is literally none. :flowers:
The concept of collages in columns and rows is not a recent invention by any means.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m looking forward to getting a copy to read the articles. I’m trying to decide between a digital or physical copy.....what do y’all think?

I think it was very ill-advised for Vogue to point out that she thought it would be 'boastful' to appear on the cover when Kate was on it not that long ago. It looks like a cheap shot even if it wasn't intended to be. Surely someone should have realised that wouldn't be a wise thing to say.

Reactions: Fem
I think it was very ill-advised for Vogue to point out that she thought it would be 'boastful' to appear on the cover when Kate was on it not that long ago. It looks like a cheap shot even if it wasn't intended to be. Surely someone should have realised that wouldn't be a wise thing to say.

That's because they weren't comparing this to Catherine because this issue not about her, nor is it about Meghan directly...it's about women championing causes and working hard to make a difference in the world.

There is a time to be on the cover (and Meghan has been in the past) and a time to let others take center stage- knowing when to do each is what makes a great leader.

That's because they weren't comparing this to Catherine because this issue not about her, nor is it about Meghan directly...it's about women championing causes and working hard to make a difference in the world.

There is a time to be on the cover (and Meghan has been in the past) and a time to let others take center stage- knowing when to do each is what makes a great leader.

As I said, I don't think it was intended as a cheap shot but I just wouldn't have mentioned it at all as that's what it will look like to many people.

Except that's not what she said. Emily Andrews (Sun newspaper) left out 4 words from the Edward Enninful quote "boastful... FOR THIS PARTICULAR PROJECT",
which completely changes the meaning.

There’s no doubt the women are ‘right on’ and check all the appropriate progressive boxes.

I’m still slightly puzzled by some of the names. I’d be interested to know how much personal contact Meghan has had with each person chosen.

Many of them she has met or worked with in the past year through her work as a working royal. I think that is really lovely actually.

Others she has probably admired from afar for a while but doesn't know personally. Some she may know through Harry.

Either way, not sure it matters how much "contact" she has had with them. This isn't a cover of her "friends" but of women doing interesting or inspiring work.

I love this whole thing. I think its a perfect example of how you can use your platform as a royal to uplift others doing cool work. I love the diversity of the spread and the focus on people doing work in different areas. A good mix of super well-known figures as well as lesser known ones. It seems she was very hands on with every aspect of this as well.

Bravo Meghan!

I also hope we see Enninful and Meghan work together going forward on stuff too. He would be a good person for Meghan to turn to for help with maybe connecting to even more British brands and specifically ones by POC.

I'm looking forward to reading it.

Bravo Meghan!!

I can't wait to read this edition, sounds like it's going to be a really good one!

I can't judge the inside but after over a decade of being a fashion follower, I know a crap Vogue cover when I see one and this one belongs in that category.

I can't judge the inside but after over a decade of being a fashion follower, I know a crap Vogue cover when I see one and this one belongs in that category.

Because in that case, as weird as it sounds for me to say it, Fashion was not on the agenda at all to be honest... It literally could have been a special issue of a more lifestyle magazine instead of Vogue...

Anyway, My Forever First Lady and one of my African Queen are featured so I am definitely buying it. A bit sad Lupita is not on there because what she has done and is doing for African women like me is incredible.
Congrats to the EIC and the DoS for this! I really like how she works.

I like the cover photography. The concept is trite. Good pr for the ladies that could use that and their causes but overall it leaves me with the feeling of when a celebrity "designs" or even worse "curates" a perfume with their name on it.

I really enjoy seeing Meghan in action, interacting with ordinary people, far away from Vogue. Yes, I am a curmudgeon about this and know some arrows will fly my way. ;)

Meghan is obviously a big fan of the black and white photography trend. Generally I don't like black and white photographs, but I think it was a good choice for this magazine cover.

Love the cover, especially the mirror for self-reflection. The list of women is diverse and appropriate in these trying times. Congratulations on a well-conceived endeavor, Meghan!

Yeah, that was pretty weird... It really wasn't that long ago, what, 2016?

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing - on one side, the general idea speaks to me, but from what I've seen so far the execution might not be as good. I'll refrain from judgment at least till I'll be able to read the whole thing.

I think that wording may have been taken out of context; the full quote is “she felt that it would be in some ways a ‘boastful’ thing to do for this particular project.” Neither Meghan nor Vogue editor-in-chief Edward Enninful (who made the statement) are saying that it would be boastful for a woman (Meghan, Kate, or someone else) to appear on the cover of Vogue, or the cover of a magazine that they’re guest editing, just that Meghan doing so for this issue would be.

Which makes sense - if the theme is inspirational women who force change, then for Meghan to put herself on the cover it certainly would strike a boastful note. The way she’s done it, she’s instead highlighting women who inspire her - in line with the theme of the project. It’s not any criticism of Kate at all - when Kate was on the cover, it was a different project.

Not too keen on the cover but it fits in with the concept and aim of her interview well. It will be an interesting read!

Just checking in here after a very long day and catching up on the Vogue story with Meghan as guest editor.

With being a guest editor for that edition, I think we have to realize that this project was not Meghan's work only. In journalism, the editor assigns reporters to cover the news, checks for accuracy and fairness in the newspaper's articles and writes headlines. She most likely worked behind the scenes with the selection of women to feature but also took into consideration women that others on the project suggested. Just as with the "Together" cookbook, it was a joint effort that included the Duchess of Sussex as guest editor and meshes, IMO, with the focus on women and girls empowerment that she's going to be highlighting once their foundation is established and up and running.

One thing we do know now is that even on maternity leave, Meghan is getting involved in things behind the scenes and to me, that tells me she's ready, willing and able to embrace her royal role.

All in all, I believe it is a successful venture and will be well worth the read.

It will be my 1st time purchasing British Vogue. I’m really looking forward to reading the entire magazine. Just seeing the magazine cover & reading the brief excerpts, brought back such fond Tig memories.

It made me realize how much I missed Meghan’s writing for her blog. Time flies quickly, it’s hard to believe that it’s over 2 years now since I received that goodbye, but thankful email from Meghan. Now I get to enjoy her work, in her new role for another project.

Here's the response from the authors of the book with the similar covers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5d399f6ce4b0419fd338d939/amp

I feel uneasy about the request for Meghan to promote their book first. It comes off as "admit you copied our cover". And why aren't they coming after Vogue UK?

Probably because Meghan put together the Vogue cover and because she wrote an essay for 'The Game Changers,' so she is aware of what their cover looks like. I do see the similarities, so I don't fault the authors for acknowledging that.

I expect a bit more for the September issue, so I'm not loving the cover either. I think individual covers would have worked better. Having said that, I'm interested in seeing what's inside and reading some of the interviews.

General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 -

Yes, I agree the optics are all wrong again for the ordinary taxpayer who won’t be buying this magazine or buying into anything it is saying from many of these supermodels and glamorous foreign actresses. It appeared a worthy effort until I saw the plagiarism around the Australian ‘Game Changers’ book and now the whole venture looks naff and copied.

I think individual covers would not have been in the theme of the women chosen being forceS of change. It is not just about one person but collective action. I really like the idea and think the cover fits that. The multiple image cover is by no means a unique concept so I'm not sure why the authors feel they are being plagiarised. They almost definitely got the idea from other magazine/book covers too. Which is totally fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom