The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2061  
Old 03-29-2020, 04:54 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,356
I'm not surprised that the Sussexes have moved to LA. After all, as has been mentioned, it's where Doria lives, so it's also not surprising that Meghan wants to be close to her mother.
__________________

__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
  #2062  
Old 03-29-2020, 04:55 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post

It lets you see how unimportant celebrity is, and how quickly the interest falls away.
That's a good point. Celebrity is ephemeral but the monarchy endures.
__________________

  #2063  
Old 03-29-2020, 04:58 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,232
Update:

A spokesperson for Harry and Meghan has just told ITV that “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have no plans to ask the U.S. government for security resources. Privately funded security arrangements have been made.”
  #2064  
Old 03-29-2020, 05:17 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Wasn't part of the deal that Prince Charles would continue to foot some of their Bill's. Can't he pick up their security tab?
Even if he did , the costs are much more than they would be if they had remained in the UK.
The UK is entering a period of uncertainty, businesses closed, some may never open again. Lost jobs, suddenly people have lost their income.
Even when this is over , we will be paying back the debt for generations through our taxes.
They expect millions for their security and we have citizens who cannot pay their rent next week.

It doesn't matter who picks up the bill unless it is H and M themselves it will cause bad feeling. IMO
  #2065  
Old 03-29-2020, 05:17 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think the difference is that Meghan will be close to her mother and she was born and raised in LA. It is a city she is most certainly comfortable with.

Also when I think of being "financially independent" that requires a big city like either NY or LA. First the above reasons they went with LA I guess.
So why didn't they go there In January and decide to settle there and find work tehre?
  #2066  
Old 03-29-2020, 05:29 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,467
Because Meghan was also happy and comfortable in Canada, a country she lived in for seven years while filming Suits. The family were happy there. However, I would imagine the couple were in Canada on tourist visas, and as such there were/are restrictions on taking up paid work.
  #2067  
Old 03-29-2020, 05:34 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Because Meghan was also happy and comfortable in Canada, a country she lived in for seven years while filming Suits. The family were happy there. However, I would imagine the couple were in Canada on tourist visas, and as such there were/are restrictions on taking up paid work.
and that would have been obvious from Day 1, that they were visitors in Canada and there would be problems. Anyway its a bit moot for the moment
  #2068  
Old 03-29-2020, 05:38 PM
Alisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,511
My thoughts were that Vancouver Island was just a refuge that they used during their winter break that spilled into January for them to plot their next move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
So why didn't they go there In January and decide to settle there and find work tehre?
Well the couple can pay for their security from the money they are getting from Charles plus their own private wealth in addition to whatever income they hope to generate from their business ventures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Even if he did , the costs are much more than they would be if they had remained in the UK.
The UK is entering a period of uncertainty, businesses closed, some may never open again. Lost jobs, suddenly people have lost their income.
Even when this is over , we will be paying back the debt for generations through our taxes.
They expect millions for their security and we have citizens who cannot pay their rent next week.

It doesn't matter who picks up the bill unless it is H and M themselves it will cause bad feeling. IMO
__________________
Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. ---Phaedrus
  #2069  
Old 03-29-2020, 06:00 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewisville, United States
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
No worries. Trump just sent a passionate tweet stating his great friendship with HMQ and the US will not pay.
It's so awesome to have a leader who only speaks on matters after he's been fully briefed on situations, and verifies all press reports before commenting.
  #2070  
Old 03-29-2020, 06:42 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Update:

A spokesperson for Harry and Meghan has just told ITV that “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have no plans to ask the U.S. government for security resources. Privately funded security arrangements have been made.”
That is good.
Those security arrangements were likely made before the move.
.
  #2071  
Old 03-29-2020, 06:46 PM
HighGoalHighDreams's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unspecified, United States
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Update:

A spokesperson for Harry and Meghan has just told ITV that “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have no plans to ask the U.S. government for security resources. Privately funded security arrangements have been made.”
Is this a spokesman for the same Harry and Meghan who said that stating whether their security was privately or publicly funded would place them in great jeopardy, only for it to emerge that Canada had been footing the bill?
  #2072  
Old 03-29-2020, 06:49 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
My thoughts were that Vancouver Island was just a refuge that they used during their winter break that spilled into January for them to plot their next move.
Don't know. Maybe they thought that Canada woudl be cheaper, they would still get the C Govt to pay security, and they could travel to the USA for work and they'd be able to make some arrangement with the Can govt to stay permanelty.. so they were genuinely planning on living in Canada for some years.
But Now they cant' travel, the Can govt wotnt pay security so they are trying to be in a place where, when the crisis is over, they can set themselves up to get work....
  #2073  
Old 03-29-2020, 06:51 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Is this a spokesman for the same Harry and Meghan who said that stating whether their security was privately or publicly funded would place them in great jeopardy, only for it to emerge that Canada had been footing the bill?
I do agree that this continuous discussing of their security arrangements places them in great jeopardy.
.
  #2074  
Old 03-29-2020, 07:21 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think the difference is that Meghan will be close to her mother and she was born and raised in LA. It is a city she is most certainly comfortable with.

Also when I think of being "financially independent" that requires a big city like either NY or LA. First the above reasons they went with LA I guess.
Not at all. Easy access to a big city perhaps. But a lot of business they may work with, even show business related ones, don't film or work in LA. That is just headquarters for them. Many actors don't live in LA.

Financial independence also means being smart with your money. And living in an extremely expensive city like LA or New York wont help with that either.
  #2075  
Old 03-29-2020, 07:48 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Well the couple can pay for their security from the money they are getting from Charles plus their own private wealth in addition to whatever income they hope to generate from their business ventures.
There wont be any business ventures at present iMO. ANd Charles' while a very rich man, has other commitments and I am sure he did not expect to have to pay for foreign security, which is going to cost much more.. for an indefintite period. The UK like everywhere is going to have money problems. Its going to look bad that they are expecting someone else, either the tax payer or the Canadian govt, or P Charles, to support them...
  #2076  
Old 03-29-2020, 08:59 PM
Alisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Not at all. Easy access to a big city perhaps. But a lot of business they may work with, even show business related ones, don't film or work in LA. That is just headquarters for them. Many actors don't live in LA.

Financial independence also means being smart with your money. And living in an extremely expensive city like LA or New York wont help with that either.
On the contrary- most actors or celebrities DO live in LA or nearby cities. LA is a hub-numerous studios, production companies, and headquarters are based in LA.

It makes perfect sense for the couple to set up their base in LA.
Perhaps they take a secondary vacation home in a more private location. Who is to tell!
__________________
Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. ---Phaedrus
  #2077  
Old 03-29-2020, 09:39 PM
QueenMathilde's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
It's so awesome to have a leader who only speaks on matters after he's been fully briefed on situations, and verifies all press reports before commenting.

Well the flip side is Trudeau ran right out there and said Canada would be happy to pay for their security. He had to walk it back when Canadians weren't all that happy about it.



They'd both had been better off saying nothing. As far as I know Harry and Meghan haven't asked any country to pay for their security.
  #2078  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:34 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
On the contrary- most actors or celebrities DO live in LA or nearby cities. LA is a hub-numerous studios, production companies, and headquarters are based in LA.

It makes perfect sense for the couple to set up their base in LA.
Perhaps they take a secondary vacation home in a more private location. Who is to tell!
Have to agree to disagree on Facts. Celebrities are not all within the LA borders.

And at no time has it been suggested Meghan plans to go back to being a full time actress either. Or even part time actress. That has been pure speculation from the media. Other then her volunteer voice over work.

Films and tv shows are filmed on locations all over the country and even in other places like Canada (hence Suits). They are at no way restricted to living in LA to be close to work. Some how big time actors like Travolta, Bill Murray, Elijah Wood, Kevin Costner, Bruce Willis and so and so on some how make do with their permanent home not in LA or New York and go there when needed for shooting.

Financially LA doesn't make sense for security and living purposes, especially as they get started. This isn't the days when she was a single actress starting out and could have a tiny studio apartment near work. That doesn't work with Harry, Archie and security.
  #2079  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:02 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 705
It's possible that they just wanted some time out, somewhere quiet and peaceful, but always intended to move to a big city long-term. Or their plans could have changed - none of us are exactly doing what we'd planned at the moment.
  #2080  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:32 AM
carlota's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 8,239
Not long to go now till they step down officially. Lucky for them that their step down coincided with the outbreak - I guess the press won’t be pursuing them as much. Although they showed in a number of occasions they quite enjoy the media interest and their fame - when it suits them, of course.
__________________

__________________
The Humane Society of the United States is the nation’s largest and most effective animal protection organization.
https://www.humanesociety.org
Closed Thread

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abdication anastasia 2020 baby names bangladesh biography bridal gown brownbitcoinqueen canada carolin chittagong clarence house coronavirus dna dubai duke of sussex dutch royal family earl of snowdon emperor facts fantasy movie general news thread george vi hill historical drama history hochberg introduction italian royal family jewellery jumma kent languages list of rulers luxembourg mail mary: crown princess of denmark northern ireland norway norway history palestine pless popularity prince dimitri princess alexia (2005 -) princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange queen mathilde random facts royal court royal dress-ups royal jewels royal re-enactments. royalty of taiwan royal wedding royal wedding gown settings startling new evidence stuart swedish queen thailand tips tracts uae customs united kingdom united states of america von hofmannsthal working royals; full-time royals; part-time royals;


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×