The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 04:12 PM
Heir Apparent

No worries. Trump just sent a passionate tweet stating his great friendship with HMQ and the US will not pay.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessMia View Post
American here and no there won’t be a huge outcry. She and Archie are Americans. Harry is Diana’s son. And we have far bigger fish to fry than to worry about the security costs of the Sussexes. It’s an election year. COVID-19 is running rampant due to incompetence. So, nah...they are fine. Welcome home, Meghan.
I think you are projecting your own personal approval here.

American here, also, and yes the outcry would be YUGE.

Paying for their security is absolutely a big fish that we should fry considering states and the federal government are hemorrhaging money right now just trying to keep Americans alive and off the streets. Paying for them would be incredibly tasteless and beyond absurd ever, but especially right now.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

America was never paying for them. As the president, Trump would (should!) know these basic facts. The Daily Mail writing up an article caught his attention but at least this answers it and gives the papers more stuff to write about. Now Trump can rant about his ratings and Meghan Markle. Fun times.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
No worries. Trump just sent a passionate tweet stating his great friendship with HMQ and the US will not pay.
OMG do you think he follows this forum!
Old 03-29-2020, 05:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
They not doing anything different than the rest of the BRF. Posting helpful tips on social media and isolating themselves in their various second homes.
yes they have. They have wlaked out on tehir duties, and moved abroad. Now they are moving to another country, and probably expecting someone else to pay for their security.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

First world problem.
I mean, this is insane ....
Old 03-29-2020, 05:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think Corona has a huge impact on their agenda. Nobody will care for them in Britain for a very long time, they are not present in time of need and no matter how many altruistic posts they publish on their website, who cares?

And of course when Corona has finished with the world, no American will want to pay for foreign ex-royals, they will have their own A list celebrities lined up for whatever job the Sussexes were keen on, I am sorry but their momentum for global fame has gone.
Concise assessment. The moment has passed.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
I'm an American too and I disagree. Americans won't want to pay for their security anymore than Canadians did. Especially now with people out of work and struggling to make ends meet due to COVID-19 shutdowns.

Yes, Meghan and Archie are Americans but they don't require security as American citizens, they require it because they are members of a foreign royal family. The idea that the taxpayers of whatever country they chose to live in should pay their security is absurd.

My thoughts exactly. Speaking as an American. They can pay for their own security. We do have bigger problems- and their security shouldn’t be our problem.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:13 PM
Majesty

As far as I'm aware neither Harry or Meghan have asked for the US to pay for their security arrangements (nor have they asked the UK to do so) so President Trump needn't worry himself.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I’m sure that her mother will be happy to have the family close, but I do find it interesting that they supposedly left the UK to get away from all the media attention and fanfare, only to move to Los Angeles, the world capital of media attention and fanfare.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
Concise assessment. The moment has passed.
Very true. I think this if true is a bad move.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
As far as I'm aware neither Harry or Meghan have asked for the US to pay for their security arrangements (nor have they asked the UK to do so) so President Trump needn't worry himself.
Sorry to disagree with this point, but they have , they expected the situation with regards security provided by the Met police to continue,. On their website , at the time of the announcement they did refer to Harry as being a prince and therefore entitled to security provided by the UK. ( I have paraphrased that).
I have checked the website tonight and they have changed the wording, do not know when as I do not look at it on a regular basis. They now say that security is part of the Home Office and is not discussed.
Obviously I am not aware of anything relating to the USA
Old 03-29-2020, 05:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Speaking as an American. They can pay for their own security. We do have bigger problems- and their security shouldn’t be our problem.
Especially since Harry gave up his position in the Royal family. He just wants to be plain old Harry? That’s fine, but plain old Harry’s don’t get the U.S. - or any other nation - to pay for their security. Sorry, they’re on their own....the way they wanted it
Old 03-29-2020, 05:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Sorry to disagree with this point, but they have. On their website , at the time of the announcement they did refer to Harry as being a prince and therefore entitled to security ( I have paraphrased that).
I have checked the website tonight and they have changed the wording, do not know when as I do not look at it on a regular basis. They now say that security is part of the Home Office and is not discussed.
Sorry do you mean H and Meg referred to Harry beng a prince and entitled to security? Possibly if TRump's mentioned it, ther have been feelers to the American Govt to ask them to cover security for a time at least.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
To quote my mother, “he’s worried about the wrong thing”. Hope all is well with the Sussexes wherever they are. Same to all of you.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Sorry do you mean H and Meg referred to Harry beng a prince and entitled to security? Possibly if TRump's mentioned it, ther have been feelers to the American Govt to ask them to cover security for a time at least.
I have edited my original post as I realised I had not made my meaning as clear as it should have been, I was referring to the UK security, not the USA.
Apologies, I need to read my posts again before posting, I know what I am thinking, you all need to read my mind LOL
Old 03-29-2020, 05:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I have edited my original post as I realised I had not made my meaning as clear as it should have been, I was referring to the UK security, not the USA.
Apologies, I need to read my posts again before posting, I know what I am thinking, you all need to read my mind LOL
Thanks. I think that the UK wont be too keen to pay for their security, esp if it has to be abroad, and its complicated and expensive to arrange. So wherever they go, nobody is going to want to pay. I know Trump is prone to ramble on about whatever takes his fancy, but all the same If He si saying something abot security it is possible that there have been feelers put out, asking if the US govt will pay for them as VIPs visitors for a short time at least.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent

When did Harry and Meghan request this? All this is coming from the Daily Mail article that a lot of the US right wing media is spreading around which is what Trump is clearly responding too. Even in that article is didn't state that asked or that the US would, but that they *could* ask him. Then he jumped on it.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I’m sure that her mother will be happy to have the family close, but I do find it interesting that they supposedly left the UK to get away from all the media attention and fanfare, only to move to Los Angeles, the world capital of media attention and fanfare.
I think the difference is that Meghan will be close to her mother and she was born and raised in LA. It is a city she is most certainly comfortable with.

Also when I think of being "financially independent" that requires a big city like either NY or LA. First the above reasons they went with LA I guess.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wasn't part of the deal that Prince Charles would continue to foot some of their Bill's. Can't he pick up their security tab?

Tags
archie mountbatten-windsor, duchess of sussex, duke of sussex, meghan markle, prince harry