Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 9: March 2015-November 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming that there aren't details of the route?!?!

The route isn’t known in advance, but they publish the stops once the day is over. Also people have been mentioning on twitter and such if they see them passing by.

The Countess of Wessex's DofE Challenge blog –days 4 and 5:
https://www.royal.uk/countess-wessexs-dofe-challenge-blog?ch=4#bio-section-3
https://www.royal.uk/countess-wessexs-dofe-challenge-blog?ch=5#bio-section-4

If I were not a complete Sophie fan already, her reports from the peloton would have completely won me over. Pongs and backsides! :cool::eek::lol:
I'm a firm believer in recreating yourself as you age. I have her by a decade, but completely understand how Sophie took this challenge and think I understand where this might take her. To rediscover/push your physical limits is a really fun thing! I know it makes me feel younger and more confident. But it also put me in touch with my strengths and limitations. Knowing that, I (and I think Sophie) can understand how much there is yet to try/accomplish. And great ways to do that.
The joy for me comes when I meet a goal - because then it's on to some new goal that I had not imagined. Empowering. Very DOE Challenge-ish! No wonder people are loving her experience on the bike and with the team!
She will have crazy oxygen capacity when she finishes. I hope she uses it to chase and catch her children all over the yard. What fun! :flowers:

They certainly are, aren't they? I love the group one in front of the Border Stone. Everyone looks thrilled to be there and it just shines out of the picture. :). I once trained for a day long Charity Bike Ride to raise money for the Cdn National Institute for the Blind and, while the hills we had are nothing compared to Sophie and Team's hills, they were still hills and I more than get just how relieved they were to get Day Two done and dusted. :)

That's a great achievement, well done! Unfortunately I never learned the common skill of how to cycle. I have a peripheral neuropathy, a condition which affects the nervous system, which in turn affects my balance so I've never been able to ride. It's something that I have always wanted to try (I had lessons once, but because of other things I had to quit).

You mentioning how down to earth the Countess seems reminds me of a quote in the story of the Wessexes visit to Canada last year in Majesty magazine. HRH, accompanied by the Premier, Lt Governor and other prominent Senior Female Leaders here in Ontario paid a visit to one of the most remote of the Native Reserves we have here in NE Ontario. When the Chief was asked if meeting Sophie had lived up to what he imagined it would be, his reply was that of all the things he pictured happening that day, seeing the Countess plop herself down on to muddy grass to not only talk to, but to play a counting game w/his little Granddaughter? That was well and truly beyond anything he imagined taking place over the two days of the Visit. :D

I can imagine. :D

Speaking of the Wessexes, Majesty magazine and coverage of their Annual Visit to Canada, the latest Majesty has a wonderful piece in it about this Summer's Visit out West. Of course what's the latest here, may very well not be the latest one everywhere else, but thought I'd mention it. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

That's such a sweet gesture from Sophie - this is another addition to my mental "reasons why Sophie is one of my favourite British royals" list!

Very good job by Sophie. I'm sure she is looking forward to finishing :flowers:

Edward's smile and kiss on the cheek before it started said it all. He knew she had it in the bag before it started.

Sophie wouldn't even have cosidered undertaking such a task unless she knew she was well up for it. Teamwork is everything ..... I'm sure the adrenolin is high!

Lovely photos! Edward and the children look so proud!

I haven't followed much of this, so sorry for my silly question. But, did the team make some stops? How did it work?

Very good job. I wasn't expecting anything like this from Sophie, I must be honest.

I haven't followed much of this, so sorry for my silly question. But, did the team make some stops? How did it work?

Very good job. I wasn't expecting anything like this from Sophie, I must be honest.

The made frequent stops but averaged 70 miles per day, or so. Spent nights at army barracks - how smart and cost-wise was that! Their chase car was also military. Anna did a brilliant day by day post - with a map and other details at My Small obsessions on FB: https://www.facebook.com/Kate.Sophie.Sofia.Blogs/?fref=ts It's the perfect way to get caught up.

The made frequent stops but averaged 70 miles per day, or so. Spent nights at army barracks - how smart and cost-wise was that! Their chase car was also military. Anna did a brilliant day by day post - with a map and other details at My Small obsessions on FB: https://www.facebook.com/Kate.Sophie.Sofia.Blogs/?fref=ts It's the perfect way to get caught up.

Oh thank you! I thought I was being really stupid in asking such a question:bang:.

I will read the post on Fb asap:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Well done to the whole team!

I do believe one family member missed Sophie more than anyone else!

James and mummy

James was so happy to see her that he wrapped his arms around her when Edward was hugging her and didn't let go. Then he moved to be next to her during the photo and wrapped his arms around her again = Mummy's boy!

I've said it before but i'll say it again - James' dimples are CUTE!

Wonderful effort from the Duchess and her team. 500+ miles is a long way to cycle...and all for a worthy cause. I'm curious if she is going to continue cycling as a hobby and a means to stay fit and trim. Seems a waste to lose that level of fitness now, as well as all the other benefits of being active...

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Wonderful effort from the Duchess and her team. 500+ miles is a long way to cycle...and all for a worthy cause. I'm curious if she is going to continue cycling as a hobby and a means to stay fit and trim. Seems a waste to lose that level of fitness now, as well as all the other benefits of being active... Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

She's already made a comment that she will set a new challenge, but did not specify what. :flowers:

I loved reading Sophie's diaries from the week's ride. She made so many funny quips and they were also very well written. I'd like to see a video of the formation cycling along with their humming at the airbase. Would be very amusing to watch i'm sure.

I still can't get over how cute it was to see James throw himself at Sophie when she arrived. He didn't let her go for most of the time when they were outside Buckingham Palace. This photo from Anna's blog is adorable. This photo from the same instagram account was just as cute. He is quite the mummy's boy.

The videos are also lovely and I loved seeing Edward allow James to give Sophie her pin. Getting his practice in for when he's the Duke of Edinburgh!

Court Circular 22nd September:
The Earl of Wessex, Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, today carried out the following engagements in Guernsey to celebrate the Diamond Anniversary and was received by the Lieutenant Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the Bailiwick of Guernsey (Vice Admiral Sir Ian Corder).

His Royal Highness this morning visited St. Anne's School, Newtown, Alderney.

The Earl of Wessex this afternoon visited the Ladies' College, les Gravées, St. Peter Port.

His Royal Highness afterwards visited la Mare de Carteret High School, Rue de Galaad, Castel, and was received by the Bailiff of the Bailiwick of Guernsey (Sir Richard Collas).

The Earl of Wessex later met participants from various organisations at Government House, St. Peter Port, demonstrating the skills they have learned whilst taking part in The Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

His Royal Highness this evening attended a Reception at Government House.

The Earl of Wessex afterwards attended a Dinner in Castel.

The Countess of Wessex today bicycled from York to Lincoln on the fourth day of Her Royal Highness's Diamond Challenge on the occasion of the Sixtieth Anniversary of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award.
Prince Edward in Guernsey for Duke of Edinburgh visit | Channel - ITV News
Prince Edward visits the Channel Islands - ITV News
Royal visit continues in Jersey | Channel - ITV News
BBC Local Live: Channel Islands on Thursday 22 September 2016 - BBC News
Royal Visit Marks 60 Years of the DofE - Island FM
Royal | Channel - ITV News

Court Circular 23rd September:
The Earl of Wessex, Trustee, today carried out engagements in Jersey to celebrate the Diamond Anniversary of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award and was received by the Lieutenant-Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the Bailiwick of Jersey (General Sir John McColl).

His Royal Highness this morning met Award participants from local schools, Jersey Scouts and Jersey Sea Cadets at Queen's Jubilee Activity Centre, Crabbe, St. Mary.

The Earl of Wessex this afternoon visited St. James' Centre, le Breton Lane, St. Helier.

His Royal Highness later visited Jersey War Tunnels, les Charrières Malorey, St. Lawrence.

The Countess of Wessex today bicycled from Lincoln to Peterborough on day five of Her Royal Highness's Diamond Challenge on the occasion of the Sixtieth Anniversary of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

Court Circular 24th September:
The Countess of Wessex today bicycled from Peterborough to Aylesbury on day six of Her Royal Highness's Diamond Challenge on the occasion of the Sixtieth Anniversary of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

Court Circular 25th September:
The Earl of Wessex, Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, today attended an event at Buckingham Palace to mark the completion of The Countess of Wessex's Diamond Challenge.

The Countess of Wessex this afternoon arrived at Buckingham Palace on completion of Her Royal Highness's Diamond Challenge on the occasion of the Sixtieth Anniversary of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

Court Circular 26th September:
The Earl of Wessex, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Foundation, this morning held a Meeting.

His Royal Highness, Patron, Windsor Festival, this evening attended a Concert and held a Dinner at Windsor Castle.

Court Circular 27th September:
The Earl of Wessex, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Foundation, this afternoon held a Meeting.

Court Circular 28th September:
The Earl of Wessex, Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, today carried out engagements in Wales to celebrate The Award's Diamond Anniversary.

His Royal Highness this morning attended a talent showcase at Wales Millennium Centre, Bute Place, Cardiff Bay, Cardiff, and was received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of South Glamorgan (Mrs. Morfudd Meredith).

The Earl of Wessex this afternoon visited the Challenge Wales Sail Training Yacht, Pierhead Street, Cardiff.

His Royal Highness later visited Cardiff International White Water Centre, Watkiss Way, Cardiff.

The Earl of Wessex afterwards visited Stanwell School, 1 Archer Road, Penarth.

His Royal Highness this evening attended a Dinner at Wales Millennium Centre.
Royal visit to Penarth school for 60th anniversary of Duke of Edinburgh awards (From Penarth Times)
https://penarthnews.wordpress.com/2...narths-round-the-world-yacht-challenge-wales/
https://penarthnews.wordpress.com/2...sitor-gets-a-warm-welcome-at-stanwell-school/

Great links here ..... thanks peeps! :flowers:

James is so lovely just wanting to be by Mum! Half suspect, looking at him Edward did too, but had to hold back being the adult! Lovely family!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom