Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family Current Events 4: August 2008-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
UKCountessofWessexArms.jpg

Coat of Arms of HRH The Countess of Wessex

Welcome to the Earl and Countess of Wessex, Lady Louise and Viscount Severn current events thread
part 11

commencing August 2008

part 10, covering the period February to August 2008 can be found here

The Sunday Express has also ran with this story of Ruthie, they stated to relationship lasted until 1990 to 1995. From what I have read the relationship ended in 1992/1993 after starting from about 1988 onwards. I find it hard to believe Edward would two time Sophie for the first two years of their relationship, and not have it known about until many years latter if it was indeed true? Given the fact the press were all over the Windsor's because of the drama that went on with Charles/Diana/Camilla and Andrew/Fergie and her two American lovers in the early 1990's

Found it from the express.
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/57278/I-loved-my-job-more-than-Prince-Edward
The Prince and the showgirl met in 1990 and were together “on and off for five years”, she said.
i'm guessing either the Express has gotten the time frame wrong or one of his ex girlfriends is distorting the truth to just how long that relationship lasted. Or Edward did do the dirty on Sophie early on in their relationship, which for the very reason's I stated above I find it very hard to believe, because I don't think it's something he could of gotten away with and not be known by the press. Given the press were on his family like a rash, because of all the dramas that went on during the 1992-1997 period.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Richard Kay's latest column.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1047119/Two-Jags-wont-leap-Lords.html

Apropos Ruthie, her claim that she and Edward had a five-year relationship suggests there must have been quite an overlap with the Prince's pursuit of Sophie Rhys-Jones, now his wife.

The couple started dating in 1993, but Ms Henshall says she and Edward were seeing each other until 1995.

Is it time we reappraised Edward's position as the most sensitive of the Queen's children?

:rolleyes:

Haha Marg.

Umm I think what Richard Kay is getting at is a don't think Edward is friends with Ruthie anymore, and she has made this up to get back at him? She made some claims about her relationship with Edward a few years ago, that were different to this recent claim.

Personally I don't think she has gotten over Edward or it took her a lot longer to get over him. I know she was a guest at his wedding to Sophie in 1999 and she is said to of made the comment "you can tell they are in love"?

If she was still friends with Edward and even Sophie she wouldn't be making these claims IMO

I think IMO Edward was over Ruthie when he started seeing Sophie in late 1993.

I am going to try to put this, but I might phrase it funny so please let me get to the end of the arguement.
I have a time line of Edward's girlfriends and some of them do overlap. Let me explain - there could be numerous reasons for this. First much if not everything we know is hearsay. We don't know even if he was really dating much of these girls.
Secondly Edward has a habit of having many friends were are girls/women and they were also romantically linked to him. Many of these friends possibly became romantically involved with him and then maybe continued their relationship as friends. This can be seen Edward is still close friends with many old girlfriends. And I am not exactly sure that Edward sends out the right signals to girls about whether he prefers them as friends or girlfriends. Point in case - one summer two girls showed up at Balmoral, both presumed themselves Edward's girlfriends, neither actually were. It is possible that many girls might jump to that conclusion when invited out by a prince. This and the fact that Edward himself has problems moving on. For example - Georgina May. She broke up with him she wanted to return to Canada and hated the press intrusion into her family's life. Edward continued phoning and writting her for almost a year afterwards, even through he had gotten another girlfriend.
Thirdly - Edward is into subversion. By that I mean he likes fooling the press about his whereabouts and doings. It is believed that he is currently in Europe, he might actually be in Iraq. Edward did the same with his girlfriends. He used to ask Ulrika Johnnasson to accompany him to dances, but was actually dating another woman the whole time. So who exactly was he dating. So what must be learnt is that appearances can be deceiving.
And finally, the one I think the majority of people might have problems with is that I don't know if Edward believes in structural relationships. By this I mean does he date, go steady and appropriate label his girlfriends in his own mind. I bring this up as a girlfriend of Prince Charles was once shocked when almost two months into their relationship asked her if she would like to be his girlfriend. Similiarly one of Prince Andrew's girlfriends was shocked when he asked if thier relationship could become exclusive.
Point been - who can never know for certain.

Yes i've read that too about Prince Edward. Although i'm not to sure he was like that when he met Sophie, I think he matured more although he still played games with the press. I'm not convinced he was seeing anyone else but Sophie when he started dating, press would of picked up on it IMO.

I read he says he is friends with his Ex girlfriends including Ruthie.

I don't know but this is just my gut feeling...I just find it odd some of the comments Ruthie has made in regards to her relationship with Prince Edward. She gave an interview with the Daily Mail a few years ago talking about her two year relationship with Edward and how she was really in love with him and he was with her and that she wasn't going to talk about it because she didn't want to betray him. She then goes on to talk about her relationships since Edward, but doesn't mention the fact that Edward moved on and married Sophie. Forward five years later and now she claims it was a 5 year relationship from 1990-1995 despite the fact he started dating Sophie in 1993. Again no mention of Sophie or the fact he married Sophie, which I find odd considering she went to the wedding in 1999.

I get the feeling Ruthie hasn't accepted yet that Edward moved on from her and married the very person he met after her. I have read that during the Charity event where he met Sophie he took Ruthie with him as a friend. Like you said maybe she was a friend to him, but maybe she thought or saw it as sign that they were back together. Except Edward starting dating Sophie soon after the event, and according to some fell in love with Sophie.

From what I have read of her from interviews it sounds to me she has had a lot of issues to deal with. Maybe this isn't something she has dealt with well yet, sometimes and this coming from personal experience here. People who have a lot of issues to deal with tend to get their feeling of others and how others feel about them muddled up. Also sometimes they may attention seek, and make things up as well if they have issues too.

I have read that until he met Sophie he was never in love with all his other girlfriends, he just saw them as friends.

In short I believe he has stayed loyal to Sophie before and after they got married.

I wonder about Ruthie and her motivations as well. For example, that story she told about Edward taking baths with her and relieving himself when she was present. Even if it's true, is it a story that a girl tells about someone she has any respect for or loves? Says a lot about her, really.

After finding this article I have a suspicion she may of talked or claimed something about Prince Edward for the attention, because her sister commited suicide a year ago this month. I found this interview with Ruthie about her sister's suicide and her life in general she name drops Prince Edward and another EX of hers.

She’s never been very good with things, Ruthie, but she’s very careful with friends. She’s very loyal and they all go back a long way. She still talks to [Prince] Edward and John Gordon Sinclair. Edward came to our little cottage, which is tiny, several times. Once we borrowed some tables from the village hall and had a party in the garden, with rather a lot of wine. The royal family were very good with her, and we got used to it all, but I never saw that relationship as something that would last. Ruthie is so lively, I think she would have found it hard to behave herself in the long term.

Relative Values: Ruthie Henshall and her father, David - Times Online

So lets get this right, about a decade ago the Press was always going on about Edward being gay. At least what all of this demonstrates is that he was just a normal red blooded male, and had a string of women to add to the notches on his bedpost. Well done, Eddie!

So lets get this right, about a decade ago the Press was always going on about Edward being gay.
My sentiments exactly! I always thought the theatre crowd are one of the most gossipy group. How come this is news worthy NOW? or WHY even bother to bring it up unless the lady in the subject is looking for PR value. Kind of desperate to bring up decades old fling.:ROFLMAO:

Does UK schools start tomorrow? I was expecting that Louise should start school this semister. Hoping, eagerily.

Dating someone does not equal exclusiveness. Until you mutually agree to not date other people you are free to date more than one person. So an "overlap" is nothing more than that - someone is not committed to one person.

To Claire --
Most schools in the country go back on the 3rd or 4th of August. Dunno whether louise's school is different. ??

It is a surprise for the press then??? That when they were all barking on about Edward being gay, he was 'getting around' so to speak??
Does anyone no who the other girl mentioned in the article is??
Some news reader???

xxx

It's September now. Edward is having an engagement or so before heading to China for the Paralympics Games. Sophie, on the other hand, is back on duty too, with many engagements schedule ahead including a 2 day-trip to Germany next week.

So Edward dated two women at the same time - what is the big deal? He wanted to make sure that he married the right person. Maybe Sophie was also dating other men.
He strung Sophie along for so many years that it became embarrassing - just Like Prince Albert and Charlene now.
Edward had the example of his three older siblings as to how marriages can break down, and he wanted to make sure that Sophie was The One.
From 1992 til 1997, the Press was hounding Fergie and, especially, Diana and Charles.
Edward was just small potatoes when it came to being a news item. So, he was rather left alone.
Whether Edward dated 1 or 2 or a million different women, he tested the waters. He
decided that Sophie would make the perfect wife and, so far, they seem to be a very happy couple.

Most of the Schools by me went back today. With the public schools going back next Monday

i dont think we will know if Louise is starting school and also what school as they intend to keep it private

I think she has simply started as a day student at the school where she was doing some days only.
Is there such a thing as a legal school starting age in the UK? I know that it your children is five or turning five within the school year they have to be a school, or registered as home schooled.

Pics 9.9.2008

Prince Edward applauds as he watches the equestrian individual
championship test grade 1b at the Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games
in Hong Kong September 9, 2008.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Wonderful pix Iceflower. Great to see him there supporting the athletes. :flowers:

Pics 10.9.2008

I'm glad to hear that you liked them as well, MARG :flowers:

Today Edward attended an award ceremony:
Canadian Lauren Barwick receives the gold medal from Prince Edward
after competing in the equestrian freestyle grade II at the Paralympic
Games in Hong Kong on September 10, 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Pic 9.9.2008

Prince Edward and his nephew Peter Phillips at the Paralympic Games.

Yesterday they've attended the equestrian individual championship
test grade 1b at the Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games in Hong Kong

----> Pic

Oh, I like that...one of our athletes gets a medal from one of our Princes!:w00t2:

Any photos of Sophie's first engagement was it the 10 Sept have looked at all of the places I go to but no luck wonder if anyone else has seen any? Thanks

Prince Edward watches Great Britain on their way to winning Gold in the
Boccia final between Great Britain and Portugal at the Fencing hall of the
National Convention Centre during day six of the 2008 Paralympic Games
on September 11, 2008 in Beijing, China.

----> Pic

Wonderful to see Sophie back to work, I've missed her a lot lately. A pity though that her trip to visit troops in Germany didn't get much attention, because visiting militaries stationed abroad is really a great thing, a morale booster and showing support for the work they do.

Claire, those pics don't work, at least not for me... Can anyone else see them?

GrandDuchess, I cannot make Claire's pictures work ... but I can provide a linke to a German newspaper, which reported the visit including one picture:
Neue Westfälische: Zeitung, Tageszeitung für Paderborn, Hövelhof, Delbrück, Altenbeken, Salzkotten, Büren, Bad Wünnenberg, Bad Lippspringe, Borchen, Schloß Neuhaus, Elsen, Sande, Dahl, Neuenbeken, Lichtenau - Gräfin Sophie in Uniform
And here is the picture: Neue Westfälische: Zeitung, Tageszeitung für Paderborn, Hövelhof, Delbrück, Altenbeken, Salzkotten, Büren, Bad Wünnenberg, Bad Lippspringe, Borchen, Schloß Neuhaus, Elsen, Sande, Dahl, Neuenbeken, Lichtenau - Gräfin Sophie in Uniform

Basically the article says that it was the first time after the birth of her son that she carried out duties and that she did not arrive in costum but in uniform. One 22 year olf soldier, driving the tank, was obviously nervous, but lost his nervousness. Sophie looked everywhere and got everything explained from the military kitchen to the rifles.

Hope these links work :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom