Duke of Sussex, Current Events 29: July 2017 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duke of Sussex, Current Events 29: July 2017

Kinda not surprised by this story given Harry’s PR machine “after the event:
Prince Harry and his bodyguards had the entire First Class carriage on the LNER train to King's Cross in London to themselves after his eco-conference in Edinburgh on Wednesday night.
London

Last edited:
Can you give us a media report and that confirms both this and how many people were in his party? I'd really appreciate it.

This has been reported in several publications, but here’s the original article

Prince Harry and his bodyguards had an entire First Class train carriage to themselves after his eco-conference in Edinburgh.

Modern train carriages on the LNER service have 58 seats at £207 a head if you book on the day, producing a total cost of £12,006, although the bill would be cheaper for advance tickets.

Harry and his party booked seats in the first class carriage but Buckingham Palace would not say if the cost was met by Harry or the taxpayer. A royal source said the Prince only reserved the number of seats needed for his party.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ass-train-carriage-London-eco-conference.html

Prince Harry and his bodyguards had the entire First Class carriage on the LNER train to King's Cross in London to themselves after his eco-conference in Edinburgh on Wednesday night.
London

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11061...ire-first-class-train-carriage-edinburgh/amp/

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/news/prince-harry-books-entire-first-class-carriage-aft/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ass-train-carriage-London-eco-conference.html

I actually wince when I hear people at official events ask the question that obliges the royal to say what he or she would like to be called. If people have any doubt then ask one of the staff members who show up both beforehand and on the day of the royal visit who get paid to know the answers to these sorts of questions. Or just google.

With Harry I get that it’s more complicated since I think the correct way to initially address him is Your Royal Highness and by now there may be five or six people in the English speaking word who haven’t heard that that’s not how we do things anymore and also, FYI, it might be a sore spot!

Yes people/journalists shouting out a member of the royal family's Christian name does make me wince. I must just be old fashioned. Next it'll be "give is a high five Liz & Phil". ?

Yes people/journalists shouting out a member of the royal family's Christian name does make me wince. I must just be old fashioned. Next it'll be "give is a high five Liz & Phil". ?

If someone (royal or not) ask me to call them something and it isn't inappropriate (such as demeaning or degrading names) then I will respect their wishes and call them by said name. I have no problems with Prince Harry wanting to be called [just] Harry.

London

So what exactly is the story here? Harry & his security booked seats only for themselves & didn't book out the entire carriage. Was any other 1st class traveller prevented from sitting in a 1st class seat?

I travel 1st class sometimes & on occasions (especially very early or late) my carriage has been almost empty.

If someone (royal or not) ask me to call them something and it isn't inappropriate (such as demeaning or degrading names) then I will respect their wishes and call them by said name. I have no problems with Prince Harry wanting to be called [just] Harry.

Yes, so wouldn't many people I would imagine. Why would they? We live in an increasingly informal age whether we like or not. Those of us who would rather members of the royal family didn't ask us to call them by their Christian names are clearly hanging onto to outdated feudal practises.

We need to get with the programme as they say.:D

Last edited:

So.....

A royal source said the Prince only reserved the number of seats needed for his party.

I don't get your point, the article states Henry booked seats for the members of his party travelling. What were you expecting?

Nowhere in the actual articles, which by the way LBC and The Sun both quote Daily Mail as their source, then the DM quotes their "royal source", other than the sensationalist headline does it state that Henry booked out two first class carriages so he didn't have to sit with the general public. :whistling:

I would have thought that an entire carriage would only ever be booked out for HM or maybe the PofW. Sounds like the press stirring the pot.

The most logical thought for me was that it was the security detail assigned to Harry that deemed that a reserved car was a necessary precaution and had nothing to do with Harry "making it so" or any spin put on it from elsewhere.

The person being secured adheres to the way things are gonna be as dictated by their security detail. Not the other way around. Harry would have had no say in the matter. The arrangements were probably also made through the department that supervises and oversees Harry's security detail at the Met Police.

I believe that Harry's staff booked the seats required for the party and in the way of life, not being publicly announced, as Lithe carriage was otherwise empty.

It makes no sense that Harry would be telling people to call him simply by his first name and then hand a huge weapon to the media by scoring such a spectacular own goal.

Let's be honest, he is well aware that his finances are finite and he cannot afford to waste that sort of cash when he has a wife and child to take care of and their future security arrangements are uncertain.

My take is that someone is definitely 'stirring the pot as they have since he set foot back on his mother country.

I believe that Harry's staff booked the seats required for the party and in the way of life, not being publicly announced, as Lithe carriage was otherwise empty.

It makes no sense that Harry would be telling people to call him simply by his first name and then hand a huge weapon to the media by scoring such a spectacular own goal.

Let's be honest, he is well aware that his finances are finite and he cannot afford to waste that sort of cash when he has a wife and child to take care of and their future security arrangements are uncertain.

My take is that someone is definitely 'stirring the pot as they have since he set foot back on his mother country.

It makes sense because, for me, Harry has been putting his foot in his mouth ever since the bombshell announcement.... I’m not sure he’s aware of anything, especially finances, as his father is funding him

Harry makes his farewell appearance as Captain General of the Royal Marines next weekend at the Mountbatten Festival of Music, but it seems Harry needs to decide whether to sign off wearing his full mess dress uniform, or to withdraw quietly wearing a suit.

Many Royal Marines’ and armed forces families are opposed to Harry’s involvement since his controversial decision to attend a Disney Premiere while job hunting for his wife instead of attending a memorial service for the R.Marines.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...it-Meghan-markle-latest-queen-row-marines/amp

It makes sense because, for me, Harry has been putting his foot in his mouth ever since the bombshell announcement.... I’m not sure he’s aware of anything, especially finances, as his father is funding him

harry's whole behaviour with Meghan in the past 2 months has been an own goal. The 2 of them seem to have no idea how bad a lot of their conduct looks.. or if they do know, they don't care.

Many Royal Marines’ and armed forces families are opposed to Harry’s involvement since his controversial decision to attend a Disney Premiere while job hunting for his wife instead of attending a memorial service for the R.Marines.

Many Royal Marines? Armed Forces Families? Can you please provide some proof for the superfluous allegations you’ve spoken about?

Because your tabloid fodder article suggests none of the above...

Or am I to assume, as per usual, you’re just stirring a rather large and empty pot?

Many Royal Marines? Armed Forces Families? Can you please provide some proof for the superfluous allegations you’ve spoken about?

Because your tabloid fodder article suggests none of the above...

Or am I to assume, as per usual, you’re just stirring a rather large and empty pot?

Ordinary forces families views are not normally highlighted by the national press:

“And a former commando with the Special Boat Service - the Royal Navy equivalent of the SAS - says the Duke's decision to step away from the Royal Family has left many in the military "disgusted".

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/prince-harry-missed-service-royal-3738727

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...tary-figures-dismayed-duke-sussexs-behaviour/

Ordinary forces families views are not normally highlighted by the national press:

“And a former commando with the Special Boat Service - the Royal Navy equivalent of the SAS - says the Duke's decision to step away from the Royal Family has left many in the military "disgusted".

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/prince-harry-missed-service-royal-3738727

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...tary-figures-dismayed-duke-sussexs-behaviour/

If they’re not normally highlighted, then how have you come about the information? You’ve made a statement that says “Many Royal Marines’ and armed forces families” and have nothing to back that up. The two articles you have posted provide no concrete evidence for your claims either.

One article quotes The Sun, full of claims by the Sussexes best friend Piers Morgan. The other is full of quotations marks and no actual names mentioned at all.

Last edited:

If this is true (which I doubt it is), I say oh well sometimes people are just going to have to be 'disgusted'. You can't please ALL the people ALL the time. Harry put a lot of energy and effort into the military to their benefit and if they can't respect his need to put some of that energy/effort and protection towards his wife and child then that's on them to deal with not Harry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom